Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JFazYankees

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
According to the App Store, Twitter is not optimized for the new displays. It only says "Optimized for iPhone 5," while apps that actually are updated say "Optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus."

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
I don't think it was updated for the iPhone 6/6 Plus. just another update.

I wish they'd just put the proper change logs :mad:

According to the App Store, Twitter is not optimized for the new displays. It only says "Optimized for iPhone 5," while apps that actually are updated say "Optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus."

It looks like a bug with the App Store - there are several apps like Twitter and Wikipedia that are optimised but not marked as such.

Anyone notice Flipboard says optimized but the text is not sharp?

That's because it is not really optimised - still runs in an old resolution and upscaled by iOS.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Guys, to see a list of apps optimized for iphone 6, just type 'iPhone 6' in the search box of app store.

Day by day, this number is gradually increasing, stands at 2000+ apps (Search results) now and this should give us an indicator of the effort of app developers are putting in.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
Guys, to see a list of apps optimized for iphone 6, just type 'iPhone 6' in the search box of app store.

Day by day, this number is gradually increasing, stands at 2000+ apps (Search results) now and this should give us an indicator of the effort of app developers are putting in.

Wow 2000 out of so many apps. This is much much slower than I realize.

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
And *poof* just like that, Tweetbot gets an update, and it vanishes... The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
And *poof* just like that, Tweetbot gets an update, and it vanishes... The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist...
Updates spread out through App Store servers unevenly at times, so things like that right when an update is released are not that unusual (not sure what the "devil" or anything like that has to do with it).

----------

It just came back.
And there you go.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
Can we post an updated list here? Not opening a Google Doc, sorry.

I'm sure the list isn't long.

BTW, searching the App Store for "iPhone 6" absolutely does not return a list of Apps updated for iPhone 6.

Even Apple's own "Great Apps for iPhone 6" category is littered with Apps that have not been updated for the device.

I can find a total of about 10. I have a hard time believing its backlog of approvals. Developers are just not on their game. I'm one of them, but unfortunately we can't push out updates just to support a new (or two) resolutions....we have so many other bugs to test first before a new update can be submitted.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The Apple Store app was just updated & supports the iPhone 6.
That's interesting that Apple didn't have their own app updated pretty much right away (especially when they already released a redesign of it recently).

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Good to know, I use tweetbot which isn't optimized yet. Switched to the twitter app for now.

Is now! Just so you know, since you switched. :)

----------

Ugh. Ready for Mailbox to be updated. Text is massive! Also, why does the Apple Store not have TouchID?! It's your app, Apple, and you don't include TouchID?! WHYYYY? I hate having to type a password to check order status. :(

cheekyjeremy

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2009
I'm surprised to see that even after Apple did their weekly update of the app store page, there are still very few, and none that I can see, new optimized iPhone 6/6+ apps. Some were saying that the queue was just backed up, but we are now two weeks post release and there really aren't many updates, so if there was a backlog, many more would be coming through the pipeline. You can't have lots of folks sitting doing approvals for a living every day for two weeks and nothing coming through.

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
Yahoo News Digest has just been optimised for the iPhone 6 and plus sizes. Had been optimised for iOS 8 for a while though.

Browno01

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Can we post an updated list here? Not opening a Google Doc, sorry.

I'm sure the list isn't long.

BTW, searching the App Store for "iPhone 6" absolutely does not return a list of Apps updated for iPhone 6.

Even Apple's own "Great Apps for iPhone 6" category is littered with Apps that have not been updated for the device.

I can find a total of about 10. I have a hard time believing its backlog of approvals. Developers are just not on their game. I'm one of them, but unfortunately we can't push out updates just to support a new (or two) resolutions....we have so many other bugs to test first before a new update can be submitted.
Tad odd that you won't open a Google Sheet? :confused:

Optimized
Alien Blue
Afterlight
Apple Store
BBC News
Blade Ball
Clear
CNN
Day One
Downcast
Duolingo
Facebook Messenger
Fantastical
Forza Football
Hours - Time Tracking
Hyperlapse
IMDb
Invite All - For Facebook
Jump (Remote Desktop)
Jumping Doge
Math for Kids - Simple Operations
OpenTable
Outbank DE
Overcast
Parcel
PCalc
Pinterest
RadioDeck
RunKeeper
Simple Bank
Sky Guide
Swarm by Foursquare
Tappy Ant
Tappy Block
Tappy Block: Infinite
tinyCalc
Tumblr
Tweetbot
Twitter
Twitterrific
Uppy Bird
Vesper

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
Hulu can be added to the list.

And yea...that list is pathetic.

----------

I'm surprised to see that even after Apple did their weekly update of the app store page, there are still very few, and none that I can see, new optimized iPhone 6/6+ apps. Some were saying that the queue was just backed up, but we are now two weeks post release and there really aren't many updates, so if there was a backlog, many more would be coming through the pipeline. You can't have lots of folks sitting doing approvals for a living every day for two weeks and nothing coming through.

The backlog is just a pulled out of the *** theory. The real story is that developers on iOS are, for whatever reason, becoming increasingly complacent, despite amazing new opportunities created for them by Apple.

As I've stated previously, I'll give some developers the benefit of the doubt....because I am likewise a developer, preparing an update, which will include iPhone 6 and 6 Plus support....but it will include much more than that, and those other things have to undergo rigorous bug testing, which takes weeks. So I have a valid excuse for not having submitted an update yet.

Some other developers may be in the same boat, but I doubt it. My situation is unique, and there are many developers not producing new content or major bug fixes on the bi-monthly schedule that I am....I also use Flex, which most do not. Which means I have more hurdles to climb.....people that solely use Interface Builder in Xcode could recompile (assuming they use Auto Layout as they should) and resubmit in a day or two worth of work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.