Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
When I say media I mean places like Engadget. They have made it a point to say that the new iPhones still only have 1 GB of RAM while the flagship Android phones have 2 plus. Most people don't even know what that means, and most it has no change on how they use the phone.

You are right. Places like MR are the king of where this stuff gets talked about the most. Like I said most want even notice, and the other people that do understand what 1 GB RAM is. Don't really understand how it effects how they use the phone.

----------

Oh I did not realize you were part of the crowd that was complaining about something that really makes no difference at all. What do you need to do on your iPhone that you need more than 1 GB of RAM? The way I used my Android phones is the same way I use my iPhones. Never once have I notice a difference between 1GB of RAM and 2GB of RAM.

It makes no difference at all? To you maybe, but that's all that matters right? I use my iPhone as a pocket computer, you know in the same way it's advertised and how my Android buddies use their phones. All those who 'save real work' for their Macs probably won't notice the issue, but then they don't really need a smartphone.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
It makes no difference at all? To you maybe, but that's all that matters right? I use my iPhone as a pocket computer, you know in the same way it's advertised and how my Android buddies use their phones. All those who 'save real work' for their Macs probably won't notice the issue, but then they don't really need a smartphone.

I am not sure what you suggesting. Some how I don't need a smartphone, or that I don't use my smartphone for work. Neither are true, and 1GB of RAM does not change the way I use my iPhone. If it bothers you so much I don't understand why you bought the iPhone.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Not really, When I was on a Windows phone, I found the idea of closing background apps to be a huge improvement. I've not see any difference in performance in doing this with iOS

I think I juz found the root cause of the apps refreshing issue.

Try opening the camera app, dan everything seems to be purged from memory and reloads.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think I juz found the root cause of the apps refreshing issue.

Try opening the camera app, dan everything seems to be purged from memory and reloads.

So, is that a problem? I'm not trying to be difficult, but what is the problem if the app reloads. I tried that and some apps didn't reload, one or two may have.

cue003

macrumors member
May 22, 2010
It is fairly easy to recreate the reload. I often check for flight on 3 airlines and will have one tab per airline (3 tabs and nothing else open in safari... No background refresh of apps or any of that stuff is turned on). Once you do your flight searches on one tab then go to the next tab to do the same search to compare price and flight then go to third tab and repeat when you click tab one again it reloads and all your information is lost (especially if the first tab is delta)

Reloading also happens frequently when I am replying to a thread here with other tabs open and for whatever reason I want to review something that was posted to reference in my reply so I reopen the forums in another tab and get the info I need and then when I come back to the tab where I was typing my reply it refreshes and all my reply is gone.

It sucks when it happens on forums. Or I am at the bottom of a long page and I need to do something else briefly and then try to come back to my tab and it reloads and places me back at the top of the page. Very frustrating.

I will be curious to see what happens if the ipad comes with 2gb ram this week. I am sure the ipad version of Safari and iOS isn't probably going to be completely rewritten for the ipad and iPad mini. It will probably be apples proving grounds for whether or not 2gb is necessary and then they will include it with the next iphone and have everyone running back for more of the apple drug. :).

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I feel bad for the op, he will get blasted by Apple fans for bringing this up....let it begin

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
Any type of multitasking (e.g. copying and pasting and switching between apps) is severely hampered by the lack of RAM. As long as you're not doing this type of activity you won't notice it.

The rumor is that the new iPad Air will get the additional RAM specifically for allowing multiple windows. Apparently Apple doesn't think you have to multitask with an iPhone, or can do it.

This is a severe oversight on Apple's part. Either that or planned obsolescence. I'm losing my faith in Apple.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Anyone more knowledgeable know of any reason memory compression like in OSX can't be utilized?

Seems like it would be perfect for a device that more RAM can't be added. However I'm not well versed on the resources required to accomplish it.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
It is fairly easy to recreate the reload. I often check for flight on 3 airlines and will have one tab per airline (3 tabs and nothing else open in safari... No background refresh of apps or any of that stuff is turned on). Once you do your flight searches on one tab then go to the next tab to do the same search to compare price and flight then go to third tab and repeat when you click tab one again it reloads and all your information is lost (especially if the first tab is delta)

Reloading also happens frequently when I am replying to a thread here with other tabs open and for whatever reason I want to review something that was posted to reference in my reply so I reopen the forums in another tab and get the info I need and then when I come back to the tab where I was typing my reply it refreshes and all my reply is gone.

It sucks when it happens on forums. Or I am at the bottom of a long page and I need to do something else briefly and then try to come back to my tab and it reloads and places me back at the top of the page. Very frustrating.

I will be curious to see what happens if the ipad comes with 2gb ram this week. I am sure the ipad version of Safari and iOS isn't probably going to be completely rewritten for the ipad and iPad mini. It will probably be apples proving grounds for whether or not 2gb is necessary and then they will include it with the next iphone and have everyone running back for more of the apple drug. :).

I am confident that with 2Gb of RAM, the reloading will be less frequent.

Remember 512MB of RAM on the 4S? 1GB of RAM on the 5?

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
From my personal experience the plus does feel a bit laggy. It doesn't feel as fluid as my 5s but if the trade off is having the larger screen I guess I wont bitch to much about it....

I do hope the plus makes it with 2GB next year.

I'm planning to purchase the iPad Air 2....I'm curious to see how that runs.

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
Just out of curiosity, does everyone have really slow internet or something? I never even noticed my tabs refreshing (even though they do) on my 4S... This was NEVER an issue, the internet where I live (New York City Metro) is blazing fast. At home I'm on WiFi (75mbps up/down) and at work (35 up/down) as well.

Where as I understand that having 1gb can be frustrating for those who may be "power users" (which is saying I'm not one, even though I am) it really is you just trying to find a reason to bitch... Switch back to Android, I'm sure your experience will be hampered in some other way... It's a phone, not a messiah.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I am confident that with 2Gb of RAM, the reloading will be less frequent.

Remember 512MB of RAM on the 4S? 1GB of RAM on the 5?

I'm not. I'm pretty well convinced that the problem is WebKit, not RAM. Web sites aren't so resource intensive that they need hundreds and hundreds of megs of memory to hold open. The notion that they do is absurd.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
While I agree the device is hampered a bit by less ram you can't really blame Apple here.. or perhaps better wording might be, it's easy to see how Apple decided to sell the 6 with 1 gb of ram. If the 6 shipped with 2gb of ram:

• No incentive to upgrade next year
  • When true multitasking is introduced, people will say why doesn't the 6 have this feature included? (like the 5 with wi-fi calling not enabled)
  • The 6 was going to be massive seller anyway, why make it better than it needs to be?

For those of us that actually use the device, and our tabs have to reload all the time, it's a big ^&*(#ing joke that in 2014 a $1000 phone has to reload tabs. The reality is most people just use social media and texting and won't be bothered by the one or two times the tab has to reload.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I'm not. I'm pretty well convinced that the problem is WebKit, not RAM. Web sites aren't so resource intensive that they need hundreds and hundreds of megs of memory to hold open. The notion that they do is absurd.

If it is a webkit problem, it's been around for years. Even non webkit browsers (on PCs and macs) use potentially hundreds of megs of RAM.

I do know on my iPhone, if I kill safari with just 2-3 tabs open, 200+ MBs is suddenly freed up. Whether that usage is natural or the result of poor coding is up for debate. But in the short term, extra memory would help

I don't understand why Apple chooses to refresh the tabs instead of caching them in flash. At least for those of us with 64GB and 128GB devices, the extra caching could go a long way. I remember a jailbreak tweak allowed that back in the iPod touch 2G days, and that made Safari tremendously better.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

So why does the stock Notes app reload then?? That has nothing to do with the internet, or Webkit. Have too many tabs open and bingo, my Notes app will reload. It's RAM.

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
I've never had a problem with the refresh (I have a 4S for personal use, and a 5 for work) but the refresh absolutely exists. Can someone give me a reason why this is a "bad" thing however? The refresh only takes about 2 - 3 seconds in most cases.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
So why does the stock Notes app reload then?? That has nothing to do with the internet, or Webkit. Have too many tabs open and bingo, my Notes app will reload. It's RAM.

I've never seen that behavior. And again, if it's a RAM problem why would it only impact these low resource situations? I remain unconvinced. Sounds like bad code to me, not a lack of RAM.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I've never seen that behavior. And again, if it's a RAM problem why would it only impact these low resource situations? I remain unconvinced. Sounds like bad code to me, not a lack of RAM.

So...even though 1GB on paper sounds pathetic, even though competing high end Android devices have 3 and 4GB of RAM, even though the two years old iPhone 5 has 1GB of RAM, even though Safari tabs reload, even though apps reload and even though stock apps reload....this is absolutely not a RAM issue and it's something that Apple can fix with software? Um, ok.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
once the system runs low of ram, ios will freaking flush out all of its memory to load the next app/tab. Whatever u previously opened will be reloaded again. freaking annoying.

btw, this issue seems to be more apparent in ios 8 than 7.

Try this guys.

1) Open a couple of apps.
2) Open 3-4 safari tabs with full loaded websites with pictures. (Tech radar and etc)
3) Switch back to the first few apps = it will all reload.

Seems like Safari is a super RAM hog.

SICKENING.

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
once the system runs low of ram, ios will freaking flush out all of its memory to load the next app/tab. Whatever u previously opened will be reloaded again. freaking annoying.

btw, this issue seems to be more apparent in ios 8 than 7.

Try this guys.

1) Open a couple of apps.

2) Open 3-4 safari tabs with full loaded websites with pictures. (Tech radar and etc)

3) Switch back to the first few apps = it will all reload.

Seems like Safari is a super RAM hog.

SICKENING.

Not sure sickening is the right word, but certainly a bit frustrating for 2014.

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
Not sure sickening is the right word, but certainly a bit frustrating for 2014.

Yup frustrating.

Like u just opened a few commonly used apps, opened some safari tabs, switched back to the first app and it reloads.

Its super irritating. My thinking was like..'Hey I just opened the app, why did it have to reload?'

DiggityBiggity

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2014
New York Metro
Yup frustrating.

Like u just opened a few commonly used apps, opened some safari tabs, switched back to the first app and it reloads.

Its super irritating. My thinking was like..'Hey I just opened the app, why did it have to reload?'

Are you new to the iOS platform? This is a very common occurrence and something I've come to accept. The real question is, how fast does the phone load the app and is it a deal breaker? For me, it's not. I enjoy the platform.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Are you new to the iOS platform? This is a very common occurrence and something I've come to accept. The real question is, how fast does the phone load the app and is it a deal breaker? For me, it's not. I enjoy the platform.

Being halfway through a long note, taking a call or replying to an SMS and then returning to the notes app, only to find it reload and boot me right to the top of the note is frustrating.

Filling out a webform or composing a forum message, taking a call or replying to an SMS and then returning to the webform, only to find it reload and erase everything I had entered is frustrating.

Reading a long newspaper or website article and scrolling down several pages, only to have the Safari tab inexplicably reload and boot me right up to the top of the article is frustrating.

These things happen to me on a daily basis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.