Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PD13

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Just wanted to check back in with you guys, I picked up my replacement iphone 6 on Wednesday and it's working well, haven't seen any bending (and I don't expect to). Didn't buy a new case for it though as apple only had two cases left on their shelf so I'm going to keep using my one that my phone originally bent in for the time being. About 30 pages of posts have been added since I last posted and I have no plan on going through any of them so I'm not sure what I've missed in the meantime.

mjdart

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Well then....case closed. Was that before or after the story about baby ducks wearing little sailor hats?

However, at the beginning of the demonstration, the phone started to bend, the clock on the screen is visible and it read 2:26. Then, the phone bends even more. Then, the time on the screen says 1:58. That’s 28 minutes earlier.

John Fort of CNBC told INSIDE EDITION, "There are some questions out there about the guy bending his phone. Unless he has got a time machine, people are wondering, 'What is the truth here?'"

Just providing information nothing more...maybe you should read instead of slinging mud.

stoney05

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2011
I received my iPhone 6 Plus 64GB spacegray at about 3pm on Friday and set it up, but haven't worn it out that day, so it wasn't in my pocket.

Yesterday, I left at 10am with the iPhone in my left BACK pocket of my suit pants. I drove 4 hours to a wedding, which also involved a lot of sitting during dinner etc but also 2-3 hours of dancing. I left at 2am and went to bed, driving home 4 hours back.

So in total, the 6 Plus was about 18 hours in my pocket while sitting mostly.

As I lay it on the coffee table and sat down on the couch to relax from the drive (yes, sitting again :rolleyes:), I saw the reflection of the window in the iPhones slightly distorted. Now I lay it flat with the display side on the table, take a look.

Maybe at 5.5" it is too thin?

Fixed*

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
However, at the beginning of the demonstration, the phone started to bend, the clock on the screen is visible and it read 2:26. Then, the phone bends even more. Then, the time on the screen says 1:58. That’s 28 minutes earlier.

John Fort of CNBC told INSIDE EDITION, "There are some questions out there about the guy bending his phone. Unless he has got a time machine, people are wondering, 'What is the truth here?'"

Just providing information nothing more...maybe you should read instead of slinging mud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Ds6uf0Yg&feature=youtu.be

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I think you guys won't be happy until he walks into an apple store and bends the display units

Then you'll probably demand he travels to foxcon and bends theirs. Then to apple HQ

finally you'll say "well he can't bend mine" and you'll demand he goes to your home and bends yours.

Does it bend? sure looks like it does

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
A chap in our office has the Plus and has carried it in the pocket of his trousers for a solid week including driving around the country and not a hint of a bend. I guess this isn't always an issue.

skanska

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
Pre booked mine at Apple Store trafford center last night so now on way to pick it up. Space gray 64gb.

sober2ndthought

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2013
Calgary
Good forbes article on Bendgate:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...-iphone-6-plus-users-and-apples-supply-chain/

This part in particular:

This disjunction, this bend if you will, between what Apple seems to have tested and what consumers actually bought raises a more troubling possibility. What if #bendgate is a sign that Apple has lost control of its supply chain? Could the units that Foxconn sent to Apple for testing have been less than representative of the overall production run?

As a recovering magazine designer, I have been to many press runs. I know that the printers always sent the best copies to the publishing company, and those copies were often not representative of the entire press run. In the present case, what if not enough titanium was available in time for the production schedule and a lower-quality substitution was made for some portion of the run? And what if those units were sent to, let’s see, Canada instead of Cupertino?

This is just speculation. Manufacturing works this way in general, but not Apple’s manufacturing. This is the reason for Apple’s reputation for quality, reliability and unsurpassed craftsmanship. The troubling aspect of the present debacle is not that some defective phones may need to be replaced. It is that the unity of Apple’s design and manufacturing may have just ruptured in a way that its extensive testing mechanisms did not detect.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Good forbes article on Bendgate:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthony...-iphone-6-plus-users-and-apples-supply-chain/

This part in particular:

This disjunction, this bend if you will, between what Apple seems to have tested and what consumers actually bought raises a more troubling possibility. What if #bendgate is a sign that Apple has lost control of its supply chain? Could the units that Foxconn sent to Apple for testing have been less than representative of the overall production run?

As a recovering magazine designer, I have been to many press runs. I know that the printers always sent the best copies to the publishing company, and those copies were often not representative of the entire press run. In the present case, what if not enough titanium was available in time for the production schedule and a lower-quality substitution was made for some portion of the run? And what if those units were sent to, let’s see, Canada instead of Cupertino?

This is just speculation. Manufacturing works this way in general, but not Apple’s manufacturing. This is the reason for Apple’s reputation for quality, reliability and unsurpassed craftsmanship. The troubling aspect of the present debacle is not that some defective phones may need to be replaced. It is that the unity of Apple’s design and manufacturing may have just ruptured in a way that its extensive testing mechanisms did not detect.

what about the machines test doesn't test the way human hands can and the machines seem to apply universal pressure where as a human has feelings and can adjust based on feed back from touch and find a weakness. Maybe a monkey is a better test instrument than all those fancy energy guzzling machines they use?

ps.. I also agree the article could be right :)

scrtagntman

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
Clearly the design is a little too ambitious in terms of thickness. Maybe they should have made it thicker so the camera doesn't protrude and used the extra space to toughen up the frame and maybe even up the specs a tad. I doubt anyone would have complained about that little difference in thickness.

But yeah I rarely sit with my phone in my pocket either. Shame this device is particularly fragile.

Whoa! You are talking about adding 7 tenths of 1mm! That's crazy talk. It would change EVERYTHING. /s

Yeah, not sure why apple worked so hard for so little at the cost of so much.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
iPhone 6 Plus Screen popping off frame http://youtu.be/D9z10FdMg_Y

Screenpopgate! Quick, click on the link to rack up the hits!

----------

"Surprisingly, the iPhone 6 Plus actually outperformed the iPhone 6 during testing, which bent at 70 pounds of pressure and had the screen come off at 100."

Oh no. That's going to explode some people's heads around here. LOL!

mjdart

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Starting to feel pretty confident that if I keep my 6 plus out of positions in my front pocket where I'm applying bending forces needed to damage the phone this should be a none event.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Apple Stock is rebounding nicely today, must be the market feels soothed by the reality of the bending situation and IOS glitches being under control and not as disastrous as first thought.

Who's reality? Consumer Reports or some random guy in the Internet?

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Wow. This is a scary thread. It's making me think twice about my 6 Plus...

Not me. I simply treat the phone the same way I always have and don't see any bending.

I keep it in my front pocket and really don't worry about it. Only peeps with tighter pants might have an issue. But if you have any since and take care of your expensive items this will not be a concern.

mjdart

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Who's reality? Consumer Reports or some random guy in the Internet?

Not sure why you're quoting me, I spoke of Apple Stock rebounding. Check aapl on any financial site. I recovered enough to buy a couple 6 pluses at full retail and bend em on YouTube. I do have some jeans that I believe are tight enough in the pocket area to possibly bend the phone if I'm not a bit careful to make adjustments of phone position in my pocket as I sit down in car to drive.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
The pants are not tight, as they are suit pants, they give in and are not as rigid as a tight jeans. I did not feel the phone while sitting down, if I had felt any pressure, I would have taken it out.

I have had every iPhone except for the 3GS, and this has never been an issue. I never use a case and when I sell them after year they are always in great condition.

Of course I will return it, I just wanted to check if anyone else has the same issue.

I really think it was defective since the beginning and you didn't realized, or you in the busy day inadvertently sat on it.
No way a phone could bends in the front pocket of suit pants.

FireCapt

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
I really think it was defective since the beginning and you didn't realized, or you in the busy day inadvertently sat on it.
No way a phone could bends in the front pocket of suit pants.

had my 6+ for one week so far. didn't change any handling of it compare to my iphone 4. Work in the yard with in it in my front pocket all week. NOT BENT one IOTa :apple::cool: IPhone 6+ 64bg. Flat as the day I got it. :rolleyes:

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
I think you guys won't be happy until he walks into an apple store and bends the display units

Then you'll probably demand he travels to foxcon and bends theirs. Then to apple HQ

finally you'll say "well he can't bend mine" and you'll demand he goes to your home and bends yours.

Does it bend? sure looks like it does

Any malleable alloy will bend if enough force is exerted on it, duh. So does a steel pipe used in plumbing. Which is why you don't bend them.

----------

what about the machines test doesn't test the way human hands can and the machines seem to apply universal pressure where as a human has feelings and can adjust based on feed back from touch and find a weakness. Maybe a monkey is a better test instrument than all those fancy energy guzzling machines they use?

ps.. I also agree the article could be right :)

Dude...why should "human hands" be BENDING their own phones? Don't do it. That's the solution. It's a thin phone and not indestructible, duh.

Slimmyhendrix

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2014
MN
Lol just had to
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411920570.257630.jpg

srichterss

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
I posted this a while back but it gets my thoughts across much better than the few short posts I have been writing.

I don't own an iPhone 6, but I do own a MacBook Pro and have had several Macbooks going all the way back to 2004. I’ve owned iPhones in the past and I have also owned iPods.

I have noticed the same issue with common problems on any Apple product. You take it to Apple to get it fixed, even if you have AppleCare, you often find the company blames the end user and refuses to fix it. Usually you have done nothing out of the ordinary.

Then you turn to the Apple Community. Rather than finding support in the Apple community, there tends to be a vocal group which criticizes people who are having problems and makes ridiculous suggestions. If you discuss them, you get chastised by the Apple Community for bringing it up.

The reaction of the Apple Community to this problem is the main reason why many people will never buy Apple products. It’s one of the reasons I get frustrated with the Apple products that I own.

I’ve also owned PCs in the same period. I have noticed a very different response from the PC community to common problems.

Take Vista, the community collectively expressed its frustration with the operating system. Microsoft was forced to respond with Windows 7. The community was actually pleased with that update as it addressed many of the problems people found with Vista.

Look at Windows 8, the community expressed even more frustration with that operating system. Microsoft was forced to reply with Windows 8.1. The community hasn’t accepted that completely either. Microsoft's CEO was forced to resign and Windows 9 is expected to address the most common complaint (the lack of a proper start menu).

I have also noticed in the past 10 years, Apple quality has suffered. The quality of Apple products in the past was much better than it is now. Look at the iBooks and the iPods from early 2000-2004. The devices lasted longer. They generally worked very well. Despite updates or any other major changes to the device, the devices remained functional. My friend still uses his iBook from 2004 for some things, although he has upgraded to a new Macbook for his daily needs.

Bendgate is just the latest example of common defects in Apple products. If the community doesn’t hold Apple accountable for poor products, Apple is allowed to release more and more poor products.

In the long run only harms Apple. If someone had a bad experience with an Apple product, that person discovers it a common problem with that very same product, and finds very little support in the community for the issues he/she had, it’s unlikely that person will ever purchase another Apple product.

The opposite is true as well. My first Apple product was an iPod, it lasted me 4 years before the hard drive died. Sure the hard drive died and it was disappointing but that’s to be expected after 4 years. The longevity of the product was one of the reason I decided to purchase a Macbook over a competitor’s device.

I'm confused, which Apple OS issues and device defects are you referring to? What was you or your friends bad experience with an Apple genius? If you want help in the Apple community, don't charge in comparing it to Microsoft, otherwise your are just asking to be chastised.

----------

OMG what a scandal! My frying pan is defective, it should NEVER bend like this...
natgeopans.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.