Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjdart

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
Been following this thread waiting for my Plus to arrive, Love it, Space Gray Plus 64 GB, performance is very good, battery life is absolutely phenomenal compared to my quickly retired S4 Active, I mean night and day different.

Been carrying it all this week in my tight front jeans pocket. Climbing in and out of my SUV, riding my bike, etc. ---- no bends, no problems, and mind you my jeans are tight enough they pocket dialed 911 at least 2 dozen times when carrying the Samsung in my front pocket. Just use caution, it's a high tech electronic device, if you feel it pressing hard against your leg or pelvis, take a moment to adjust it in you pocket and it won't bend.

Coworker got the Spigen Neo Hybrid Case, retains the slim look of the phone and ads structural rigidity to the phone if you're still worried, so I also ordered one myself.

r0b3

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Several, look at Apple's reply to the following issues:

Discolouring White MacBooks (2006)

They discoloured in the first month of ownership. Apple claimed it was oily hands causing this problem.

Random shut downs MacBook (2006)

In early 2006, many MacBooks were randomly shutting down. It was caused by the CPU heat sink touching a sensor, causing the sensor to short circuit.

Apple initially claimed it was because people were putting the computer in their lap, only to release an update later which disabled that sensor.

Failing LCD MacBook Pro (2006-2008)

A year into ownership, a number of MacBook Pro owners discovered vertical lines running across their display. Apple refused to repair these as they were out of warranty, despite the fact it was a well know defect in that particular dispay.

Overheating MacBook and MacBook Pro (2006-2008)

MacBook and MacBook Pro's from 2006-2008 ran incredibly hot. So hot that it caused some users to have burns. Apple told users to not put their lap.

Several third party sources discovered the issue was caused by excessive thermal paste on the heat-sync. The problem has gone away for the most part in new laptops.

Fraying T-Style MagSafe

Number of T-Style MagSafe's were fraying. Apple initially stated it was a wear and tear issue, only to replace the MagSafe style due to the premature fraying.

Fraying MagSafe L-Style

Similar problem, although no where nearly as common. It's suspected it is caused by Apple choosing to keep the cord thin.

Ghosting on LG based Rentia Displays (2012)

A number of Apple users reported that ghost images were appearing on their new Apple Retina Display MacBook's. Apple initially refused to recognize the problem, but eventually they did recognize it. However, most many users still complain that Apple will not a replacement unless it passes a test created by Apple.

Here are some from Wikipedia concerning AppleCare:

Apple has been repeatedly criticized for its unwillingness to honor its warranties and its concomitant penchant for giving any reason for doing so, no matter how bizarre: in 2008, Apple repair centers began to refuse to honor warranties of its products which had been used in an environment it deemed hazardous, i.e., that had been used around someone who smokes; and in 2009, Apple refused to honor its warranty and replace a defective battery on a machine that had a small amount of unrelated cosmetic damage that did not affect the machine's functionality, nor that of its battery.

All of the above is, in my opinion, bad customer service and Apple is rightly fully criticized when issues like this emerge.

Don't forget the 3rd generation iPod battery. Class action lawsuit before they finally started replacing them.

iceperson

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
You must be a ****ing idiot to believe that.

Wait, you believe that Apple waited 4 years after they changed their own procedures because of the problem and almost 2 years after the suit was filed to settle but they did it out of the own goodness of their heart and I'm the idiot? lol, don't look now, but your stupid is showing...

wellred

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2013
Maybe you should go ahead and switch.

As far as thanking God that your phone hasn't bent yet, have you tried to bend it yet? No? That's why it isn't bent. God didn't have anything to do with it.

I don't think putting it your pocket should be classed as trying to bend it. I've had pretty much all the iPhone's bar the 5s and I have always put it in my pocket. Not once has it bent.

This is obviously a design/production issue by Apple. I hope they comment on it soon. I'm more leaning towards getting the 5s to replace my 5c now.

mjdart

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
OK into 6 days carrying my new 6 Plus in my tight jeans front pocket, riding bike, working in a power plant, climbing lots of stairs, riding my lawn tractor ,climbing in and out of my SUV, etc. Every time I feel a bind due to the position of the phone in my pocket and I do mean a bind that is putting potential bending stress on the phone, I reach down onto the outside of my pocket and shift the phones position to one side or the other to remove it from the binding forces.

Guess what the 6 Plus is still perfectly flat every time I lay it on a smooth surface to check it. If you wear Dockers type slacks you will not bend this phone unless you fall on it.

On another subject I haven't read much, but the battery life is awesome for me. My Samsung S4 Active would be constantly trying to connect to one of our protected WIFI networks at work and also trying to find GPS in some places where the power plant magnetic fields and heavy metal structures make it impossible to get a signal. The S4 phone battery would be dead in a few hours, this new iPhone sees it can't connect and doesn't try anymore (I guess) and the battery lasts to > 70% all day here with normal use, love it.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
I don't think putting it your pocket should be classed as trying to bend it. I've had pretty much all the iPhone's bar the 5s and I have always put it in my pocket. Not once has it bent.

This is obviously a design/production issue by Apple. I hope they comment on it soon. I'm more leaning towards getting the 5s to replace my 5c now.

I have yet to see a single credible report of a phone that was bent by being in someone's pocket.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Define credible? He posted an after pic didn't he?

I think people need to stop burying their head in the sand and admit Apple have made an error.

Nothing in his account suggests he applied the necessary force. He either bent it some other way or it was a factory fault that he didn't notice until later.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
What about the OP?
What about the OP?

He posted a pic and said it bent in his pocket.

I say it didn't.

It's just pixels on a screen.

No evidence was provided.

A pic of bent phone is not evidence it bent in the way claimed.

This is the internet. People can say and post anything.

Doesn't make it a fact.

----------

Define credible? He posted an after pic didn't he?

I think people need to stop burying their head in the sand and admit Apple have made an error.

They will. When you can show a phone bending in a pocket.

Moreover, the better solution would be for gullible posters to stop believing every account they read on the internet and posting about the validity of a "claimed" incident.

markusbeutel

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2014
OK into 6 days carrying my new 6 Plus in my tight jeans front pocket, riding bike, working in a power plant, climbing lots of stairs, riding my lawn tractor ,climbing in and out of my SUV, etc. Every time I feel a bind due to the position of the phone in my pocket and I do mean a bind that is putting potential bending stress on the phone, I reach down onto the outside of my pocket and shift the phones position to one side or the other to remove it from the binding forces.

Guess what the 6 Plus is still perfectly flat every time I lay it on a smooth surface to check it. If you wear Dockers type slacks you will not bend this phone unless you fall on it.

That sounds super annoying. You shouldn't have to have that mindset when a phone is in your front pocket in any scenario imo.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
If an iPhone 6 Plus can actually bend in someone's pocket, wouldn't most of them be bent by now? Consumer Reports tested it scientifically and said it takes over 100 LB. of pressure to bend it. For these reasons, I think anyone who claims it bent in their front pocket is a liar.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
What about the OP?

He posted a pic and said it bent in his pocket.

I say it didn't.

It's just pixels on a screen.

No evidence was provided.

A pic of bent phone is not evidence it bent in the way claimed.

This is the internet. People can say and post anything.

Doesn't make it a fact.

----------

They will. When you can show a phone bending in a pocket.

Moreover, the better solution would be for gullible posters to stop believing every account they read on the internet and posting about the validity of a "claimed" incident.

The opposite applies as well. You denying the claims of iphones bending isn't anymore factual then people claiming it does.

Then you want evidence of a phone actually bending in a pocket? How do you suppose that can be conveyed to you? You and many others will just claim video trickery.

I find it hard to believe that so many have a tough time believing that a thin piece of aluminum won't bend when placed between and extremely strong muscle on the human body and an extremely durable piece of fabric (jeans).

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
The opposite applies as well. You denying the claims of iphones bending isn't anymore factual then people claiming it does.
I didn't claim anything. I provided an opposing statement to show the futility of internet claims.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

The original claim is that the phone can bend in your pocket seemingly doing routine things.

That's an extraodinary claim.

Videos after the fact of people forcibly bending the phone are irrelevant. Many things will bend when enough force is applied. The issue at hand is if that force is applied during normal use.
Then you want evidence of a phone actually bending in a pocket?
You should want the same evidence if you were a person not easily taken in by internet claims.
How do you suppose that can be conveyed to you? You and many others will just claim video trickery.
That is the crux of the issue and it's on the people claiming it bends in pockets to figure out.
I find it hard to believe that so many have a tough time believing that a thin piece of aluminum won't bend when placed between and extremely strong muscle on the human body and an extremely durable piece of fabric (jeans).
The part in bold is very curious since it appears you so easily believe the claim of "bent in pocket".

I find it hard to believe that you find something hard to believe, since you're going with the "bent in pocket" crowd.

It would appear you believe what you wanna believe, no matter how spurious the evidence might be.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
If an iPhone 6 Plus can actually bend in someone's pocket, wouldn't most of them be bent by now? Consumer Reports tested it scientifically and said it takes over 100 LB. of pressure to bend it. For these reasons, I think anyone who claims it bent in their front pocket is a liar.

Exactly. Everyone running around buying into the idea that they're easy to bend in a pocket simply isn't thinking it through. With millions upon millions of phones out in the world a HUGE number of them would be bent if they were easy to bend in a pocket.

Seriously, people. Critical thinking. Use some.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Exactly. Everyone running around buying into the idea that they're easy to bend in a pocket simply isn't thinking it through. With millions upon millions of phones out in the world a HUGE number of them would be bent if they were easy to bend in a pocket.

Seriously, people. Critical thinking. Use some.
Thanks for this.

In this day and age its amazing that people can be so easily taken in by something they read on the internet.

You'd reason that the internet would make people smarter, not more gullible.

What do we really have here?

You have a random person nobody here personally knows, make a claim and show a pic?

So what?

How many times has that happened on the net with other stories.

Heres one:
Hogzilla.jpg

and another
camelspider_thumb%5B1%5D.jpg

Both were posted as real and later proved false.

Last edited:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I didn't claim anything. I provided an opposing statement to show the futility of internet claims.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof.

The original claim is that the phone can bend in your pocket seemingly doing routine things.

That's an extraodinary claim.

Videos after the fact of people forcibly bending the phone are irrelevant. Many things will bend when enough force is applied. The issue at hand is if that force is applied during normal use.

You should want the same evidence if you were a person not easily taken in by internet claims.

That is the crux of the issue and it's on the people claiming it bends in pockets to figure out.

The part in bold is very curious since it appears you so easily believe the claim of "bent in pocket".

I find it hard to believe that you find something hard to believe, since you're going with the "bent in pocket" crowd.

It would appear you believe what you wanna believe, no matter how spurious the evidence might be.

I never said I was one way or the other about this issue. I just said I have a hard time believing that people are so skeptical about the issue given the circumstances.

What would you say the average healthy male adult can life using the muscles in his legs? 1000 lbs or so? That's a pretty easy weight on a leg press machine for a single lift. What pressure will jeans and pants tear at? Pretty high I imagine since I've yet to tear a pair apart, I'm sure some have mostly at the seams though. Jeans stretch very little. The pocket is at a very tight location when you pull your leg up.

So just given that information albeit slightly irrelevant and non scientific it's not a huge stretch of the imagination that there is a chance that something could become damaged being in or around that area. Things have been being destroyed in pockets forever, that's why we don't put delicate things in them.

Didn't apple say in the first week they had 9 people with the issue? Do you think those people and everyone else that claims to have had the issue is lying?

I agree with you that you shouldn't blindly agree to everything online. However there comes a time when not at least entertaining the idea becomes closed mindedness and then eventually some sort of conspiracy theory like everyone is out to trick you.

I don't think it's an issue however I don't think everyone is lying either. I'll worry about it when it effects me.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I never said I was one way or the other about this issue. I just said I have a hard time believing that people are so skeptical about the issue given the circumstances.

What would you say the average healthy male adult can life using the muscles in his legs? 1000 lbs or so? That's a pretty easy weight on a leg press machine for a single lift. What pressure will jeans and pants tear at? Pretty high I imagine since I've yet to tear a pair apart, I'm sure some have mostly at the seams though. Jeans stretch very little. The pocket is at a very tight location when you pull your leg up.

So just given that information albeit slightly irrelevant and non scientific it's not a huge stretch of the imagination that there is a chance that something could become damaged being in or around that area. Things have been being destroyed in pockets forever, that's why we don't put delicate things in them.

Didn't apple say in the first week they had 9 people with the issue? Do you think those people and everyone else that claims to have had the issue is lying?

I agree with you that you shouldn't blindly agree to everything online. However there comes a time when not at least entertaining the idea becomes closed mindedness and then eventually some sort of conspiracy theory like everyone is out to trick you.

I don't think it's an issue however I don't think everyone is lying either. I'll worry about it when it effects me.
Good comment. I will leave it at that.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
What about the OP?

I could say I bent my iPhone just by putting it on my sofa, and then show you a photo of a bent iPhone.
Does that make it real?
Unless proven differently, my opinion is that most of the bent iPhone were damaged by accidents, or were defective since production, and the user didn't realized that.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
The problem here is that you're the one being gullible. Why? Because there is no EVIDENCE to support your SPECULATION. Simple as that.

Take the 9 Apple reported phones, for example. You simply assumed that they were bent by customer "normal use," but Apple said no such thing. For all we know they were like the cases we've seen here on the board: likely factory defects, not pocket bends.

And again, for the many hundredth time, there are tens of millions of phones in the wild right now. If the phone were easy to bend we'd be seeing a very high number of outraged owners right here on the board. Not one or two people with questionable reports but an overwhelming number of undeniable cases of pocket bent phones. Think about it. People here hit the roof if the color gamma of the screen isn't exactly to their taste. You think they're going to experience a bent phone and not say anything about it? No way, no how.

The truth is that the people running with this bendgate story are the ones "drinking the koolaid" because they're simply not applying basic critical thinking to this situation. They're taking things at face value that need a bit more examination and throwing rediculous fanboi accusations at anyone who tries to talk a little sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.