Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I never said I was one way or the other about this issue. I just said I have a hard time believing that people are so skeptical about the issue given the circumstances.

What would you say the average healthy male adult can life using the muscles in his legs? 1000 lbs or so? That's a pretty easy weight on a leg press machine for a single lift. What pressure will jeans and pants tear at? Pretty high I imagine since I've yet to tear a pair apart, I'm sure some have mostly at the seams though. Jeans stretch very little. The pocket is at a very tight location when you pull your leg up.

So just given that information albeit slightly irrelevant and non scientific it's not a huge stretch of the imagination that there is a chance that something could become damaged being in or around that area. Things have been being destroyed in pockets forever, that's why we don't put delicate things in them.

Didn't apple say in the first week they had 9 people with the issue? Do you think those people and everyone else that claims to have had the issue is lying?

I agree with you that you shouldn't blindly agree to everything online. However there comes a time when not at least entertaining the idea becomes closed mindedness and then eventually some sort of conspiracy theory like everyone is out to trick you.

I don't think it's an issue however I don't think everyone is lying either. I'll worry about it when it effects me.
Apple reportedly tested it.
An independent source tested it.
More than ten millions units are used daily without a massive return (9 or 9000 it's a very little number).
But you prefer to agree with someone on a forum instead?
If you believe the iPhone to bend almost by itself if because you WANT to believe it.

boomdog

macrumors regular
Ok let's be honest here. I don't want to sound like a snubby snotty apple fan boy, but my experience with 'beautiful' products, in most cases, are that they require more maintenance, care, and consideration than the more practical and inexpensive counterparts. That being said, if you have a 950 dollar minicomputer that markets itself as elegant, beautiful, personal etc, (not indestructible, unnameable, or rugged) and you can't adapt in order to see to it it doesn't become harmed beyond what you feel is acceptable, you shouldnt buy such products; further, you don't appreciate them to begin with.

There is a reason that people who own luxury vehicles such as ferraris do not daily drive them. There are reasons that art collectors do not put their fine arts on their kitchen tables. There are reasons why people who own expensive jewelry don't wear it jogging- and that is not to say that Apple products are delicate, because they aren't really delicate- they do quite well for people who understand what they are- so you're going to say 'you can't compare a luxury car to a piece of technology you use everyday' and I'm going to say I sure as hell can. This is the problem with consumerism today. People believe that just because they can afford it they deserve it. The majority of people that buy beyond their means end up losing whatever it is they bought whether it be a car, house, or some other more than average investment because they did not take into consideration the responsibility and trade off that comes with having nice things. I don't know how many broken down bmw's I've seen in driveways of people that couldn't afford the maintenance. BMW markets itself as the ultimate driving machine, not the best bang for your buck, not the cheapest car to maintain etc. Theyre incredibly expensive to repair, minor cosmetic blemishes cost much more to restore, and they typically don't drive as long as cars that are economy based at half the price. But how many people who have the money to repair them, and or appreciate them, let them get to a crippling point of run down? Few.

There are cheaper phones that do more. There are more rugged thicker phones that won't bend. But none of those brands focus their rhetoric on 'design and elegance' the way apple does. Apple is like the Mont Blanc of hand held electronics. They don't claim to be more durable than it's competitors, they claim feats of engineering in an incredibly stylish package with class. You aren't listening. And it isn't your fault you didn't know your phone might bend- but to me it was common sense right away to take a little extra care of a thousand dollar gadget I use constantly throughout the day. If I didn't want to care about it, If I wanted something I could throw around, I wouldn't have bought apple.

Nice watches aren't any different, but somehow people believe that because it's electronics that it is different from the rest of class driven products such as jewelry. It's not. The problem is cell companies have deflated the understanding of how much a device costs by introducing their upgrade policies. If everyone had to pay full retail to buy this device they would think three times as hard as to what it is, why they want it, If they can afford it, or need it, or if a more economical less elegant and more practical device might meet their needs.

If mine bends, it's ok. I have the money to 'maintain' my investment. But I'm not to worried. I live on planet earth and I take into consideration what I'm actually buying before spending my money. That's why I am able to afford the maintenance of my car, house, and now my silly cell phone. I live within my means. So do I need a 950 dollar cell phone? Absolutely not. Do I appreciate what it is trying to achieve? You bet. A Rolex keeps the time just like a Casio. Casios can sometimes do what rolex's can't, Gshock is a good example of that. But a Casio is not a Rolex, and everyone knows exactly why. One is made of cheap parts and plastic, the other is a classy timeless feat of engineering that looks better on your wrist.

It's not about what 'you' think the device is, or who you think its for. IF you have been listening to apple over the past 13 years they've told you who it's for. People who appreciate design. Not people who believe they are entitled to it.

This is the most ridiculous post I've ever read! Does the OP's description of what he did with the phone sound like he didn't take care of it? I do appreciate good design, but what you class as good design may differ greatly to what other people class as great design. I don't actually think apple have done quite as well as they normally do with the design of their latest phones, but that is simply my opinion. If phones are bending under the seemingly normal stress that the OP has described then apple have fallen in to the design over function pit. Another example of this would be my partners Mini which came with a factory fitted Sat Nav. In order to maintain their design principles Mini opted to locate the Sat Nav in a position that means that part of the screen is always obscured by steering wheel. Infuriating. If apple are willing to sacrifice 0.2mm-0.5mm to maintain their design but in the process make a phone that can not withstand every day use then I believe they have made an error.

If the OP had described a more careless cause then I would understand your post, but at the end of the day it is a phone as well as a piece of 'design' and the former needs to take president. I don't think people would have kicked up too much of a fuss if apple had made the phone ever so slightly thicker to improve durability. It would have made a negligible difference to the appearance and feel and may have prevented this problem.

I'm quite well ingrained in the apple ecosystem now but feel myself being drawn away by other devices that offer greater functionality. Confused.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The problem here is that you're the one being gullible. Why? Because there is no EVIDENCE to support your SPECULATION. Simple as that.

Take the 9 Apple reported phones, for example. You simply assumed that they were bent by customer "normal use," but Apple said no such thing. For all we know they were like the cases we've seen here on the board: likely factory defects, not pocket bends.

And again, for the many hundredth time, there are tens of millions of phones in the wild right now. If the phone were easy to bend we'd be seeing a very high number of outraged owners right here on the board. Not one or two people with questionable reports but an overwhelming number of undeniable cases of pocket bent phones. Think about it. People here hit the roof if the color gamma of the screen isn't exactly to their taste. You think they're going to experience a bent phone and not say anything about it? No way, no how.

The truth is that the people running with this bendgate story are the ones "drinking the koolaid" because they're simply not applying basic critical thinking to this situation. They're taking things at face value that need a bit more examination and throwing rediculous fanboi accusations at anyone who tries to talk a little sense.

Apple reportedly tested it.
An independent source tested it.
More than ten millions units are used daily without a massive return (9 or 9000 it's a very little number).
But you prefer to agree with someone on a forum instead?
If you believe the iPhone to bend almost by itself if because you WANT to believe it.

Wow. Reread my post you guys quoted but this time do it without the preconceived notion that feel an iPhone can bend. You guys are saying I feel that an iPhone can bend in a pocket based on your own illiteracies. Pretty obvious with Surf Monkey who wants evidence for my speculation (a theory without firm evidence) but MaxIT? Really?

I'm merely entertaining the idea of an iPhone that can bend in a pocket under normal usage. I clearly said "I never said I was one way or the other about this issue." in the post you guys quoted.

Are you guys that emotionally invested in this issue that you can't even fathom what its like to have an open mind?

Its funny reading what you guys type "You simply assumed that they were bent by customer "normal use,". Where did I say that?!?! I asked if those people were lying.

OR "But you prefer to agree with someone on a forum instead?". NO, if I did I would have said that!!

Hahaha gimme a break guys.

mjdart

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
That sounds super annoying. You shouldn't have to have that mindset when a phone is in your front pocket in any scenario imo.

This phone is bigger than any previous phones I have owned, that's why I bought it full retail price, because that's what I wanted. I wear tight jeans, it's a big phone, you have to be aware of what you're doing when it's in your pocket. A couple times today while working I actually stopped, took the phone out of my pocket and set it down, got into a contorted position to accomplish the task at hand. When completed, I retrieved the phone and went on my way. I could have left the phone in my pocket risking a bent phone but I didnt, it's a very nice high tech electrical device, you have to make common sense decisions to preserve it. If this isn't a mindset for you, keep your flip phone.

srichterss

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Wow. Reread my post you guys quoted but this time do it without the preconceived notion that feel an iPhone can bend. You guys are saying I feel that an iPhone can bend in a pocket based on your own illiteracies. Pretty obvious with Surf Monkey who wants evidence for my speculation (a theory without firm evidence) but MaxIT? Really?

I'm merely entertaining the idea of an iPhone that can bend in a pocket under normal usage. I clearly said "I never said I was one way or the other about this issue." in the post you guys quoted.

Are you guys that emotionally invested in this issue that you can't even fathom what its like to have an open mind?

Its funny reading what you guys type "You simply assumed that they were bent by customer "normal use,". Where did I say that?!?! I asked if those people were lying.

OR "But you prefer to agree with someone on a forum instead?". NO, if I did I would have said that!!

Hahaha gimme a break guys.

There's no point in keeping an open mind anymore. The facts are all in front of you, and show that there is no widespread issue of iPhones bending in their users pockets. With regards to the truth of the OP, maybe he's lying, maybe he received a bad phone, or maybe he just got crazy and bent it, doesn't change the fact that the original claims that the phone was poorly designed is false.

jay1986

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2014
I got my iphone 6 plus 12 days ago and today I looked down to read a message and it looked like a silly carnival mirror. I have had it in a pretty hard unicorn beetle case.

I have been extremely careful with the phone and have kept it in coat pockets.

I am going to the apple store Saturday!

----------

There's no point in keeping an open mind anymore. The facts are all in front of you, and show that there is no widespread issue of iPhones bending in their users pockets. With regards to the truth of the OP, maybe he's lying, maybe he received a bad phone, or maybe he just got crazy and bent it, doesn't change the fact that the original claims that the phone was poorly designed is false.

Mine is bent and I can verify I am a real iphone user and fan for several years. Love the phone but it is noticeably bent after a short time.

skanska

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
I got my iphone 6 plus 12 days ago and today I looked down to read a message and it looked like a silly carnival mirror. I have had it in a pretty hard unicorn beetle case.

----------

Mine is bent and I can verify I am a real iphone user and fan for several years. Love the phone but it is noticeably bent after a short time.

I can't see how this is possible have you any pictures.

r0b3

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
High school physics.

Any high schooler in physics class could tell you why they bend. It's called a weakened plane. It's a planar surface weakened at the SAME spot on both sides (volume and lock buttons). That linear weakness across the plane might as well carry a "fold-here" direction, because that's exactly how you create bendable points in engineering.

It's a structural design flaw. Get over it.

unnamedny

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2014
Any high schooler in physics class could tell you why they bend. It's called a weakened plane. It's a planar surface weakened at the SAME spot on both sides (volume and lock buttons). That linear weakness across the plane might as well carry a "fold-here" direction, because that's exactly how you create bendable points in engineering.

It's a structural design flaw. Get over it.

Absolutely right. You want it more fashionable? you want it thinner? you want it lighter? Hey, unless it's carbon fiber it's going to bend. Fashionable things do not last too long

FireCapt

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2014
I'm still blown away with all these bent phones.

I've had my 6+ for 3 weeks now and it's still flat as the day I got it.

hF9F57747

:eek:

smenscher

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2014
After one week with the iPhone 6 Plus (in an Apple case from the moment I unboxed it), my iPhone is now warped/bent. Totally unexpected.

I kept the phone in the front right pocket of either my khakis or dress pants the entire week. No tight jeans, no back pocket placement. Nothing else goes in that pocket except the phone, which I've learned from years of iPhone-toting experience. Oh, and ZERO drops, either.

I am pissed, and I will be making a trip back to the Apple Store before the return period is up. Never thought it would happen to me. I didn't do anything wrong!

Here's the video proof:

http://youtu.be/rq8VDFebRx0
http://youtu.be/0_3zNNlODRM

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
http://youtu.be/XQxX_x3HTXQ

Huh?
He shows a phone that he admits he bent twice and then unbent.
(so he weakened it already)

He then takes a partially bent phone and puts it in his pocket...and surprise...it comes out partially bent.

Hope it isn't too late for the Nobel Prize this year.

----------

I didn't do anything wrong! Here's the video proof:

Meh...

Your video is not proof that you didn't do anything wrong.
It is like showing videos of people in prison and then asserting that they didn't do anything wrong and that they are all unfairly in prison...they didn't do anything wrong!.

Robert1-1

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2014
So how did your visit at the apple store go, did they replace it without hesitation?

----------

----------

Would you mind reporting back how you visit to the apple store goes?

After one week with the iPhone 6 Plus (in an Apple case from the moment I unboxed it), my iPhone is now warped/bent. Totally unexpected.

I kept the phone in the front right pocket of either my khakis or dress pants the entire week. No tight jeans, no back pocket placement. Nothing else goes in that pocket except the phone, which I've learned from years of iPhone-toting experience. Oh, and ZERO drops, either.

I am pissed, and I will be making a trip back to the Apple Store before the return period is up. Never thought it would happen to me. I didn't do anything wrong!

Here's the video proof:

http://youtu.be/rq8VDFebRx0
http://youtu.be/0_3zNNlODRM

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Apple will make products the cheapest it can. If they can save money without reinforcing the phone much they will do it. Don't think they will make the phone stronger if it will cost them more money. If it hurts their bottom line they won't do it. Unless there is a big consumer backlash Apple won't do anything about it.

James

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
iPhone 6 Plus slightly bent after 2 days

Apple will make products the cheapest it can. If they can save money without reinforcing the phone much they will do it. Don't think they will make the phone stronger if it will cost them more money. If it hurts their bottom line they won't do it. Unless there is a big consumer backlash Apple won't do anything about it.

James

Wait what? Samsung primarily usesplastic... That's cheapest you can go... But to your point all companies are worried about bottom line. Their in the business to make money. If you build a product people want they will spend the money and buy it. B

Bottom line physics. You just don't out a big ass phone I your back pocket. All these supposedly only have my phone in from pocket is crap...

I climb utility poles with my phone in my pocket, coach high school basketball and travel baseball so I numb bag and what not in my front pocket.

Plain and simple no issues. People have placed the phone in the back pocket, tight pants and freaking sat in their phone. Own up and take responsibility rather than blame apple.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
Wait what? Samsung primarily usesplastic... That's cheapest you can go... But to your point all companies are worried about bottom line. Their in the business to make money. If you build a product people want they will spend the money and buy it. B

Bottom line physics. You just don't out a big ass phone I your back pocket. All these supposedly only have my phone in from pocket is crap...

I climb utility poles with my phone in my pocket, coach high school basketball and travel baseball so I numb bag and what not in my front pocket.

Plain and simple no issues. People have placed the phone in the back pocket, tight pants and freaking sat in their phone. Own up and take responsibility rather than blame apple.

With these phones bending not everyone is putting them in their back pocket. As for the people saying their phones bent in dress pants I don't believe. They were probably already bent and tweeked slightly and just didn't notice.

James

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I'm saying I live a rugged life and don't believe someone hasn't mishandled their device and fallen into world if physics and take ownership of their own doings.

turbocamel

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2014
Apple support is annoyed of the bending issues

Had a little chat with an apple Chat specialist earlier. He wasnt too thrilled about the bending stuff

Me: of course theres the bending concerns with the 6+
i wouldnt try to obviously bend it

As long as you don't try to bend or sit on it, I wouldn't be too concerned.

but more and more people complaining on the forums of incidental use slight bends while in front pockets

A case is always a good idea though.

in that *case* like the bumper fiasco with iphone 4, they should include a case

its just an added cost, for protection its great, but as a necessity it sucks

Since the bending is actually caused by accidental damage and not a defect, as the bumper was verified to be in the iPhone 4, that is not the case here.

so basically if it gets a slight bend in it because you kept it in your front pocket its deemed accidental and nothing can be done

making an object larger whilst decreasing its thickness doesnt make it stronger, infact the opposite

While Apple has not announced any issues with the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus’ aluminum construction, keep in mind that as electronic devices continue to get smaller and thinner, you’ll want to handle them with the appropriate amount of care.

"you're holding it wrong"

so the iphone 6+ cannot be placed into my pocket

For me to best assist you, please keep our conversation respectful.

did i say something to disrespect you?

im concerned about a $400+ device that may deform during normal use. the concern is warranted. at least i believe so

If you are concerned that you may apply enough excessive force to your iPhone that it would bend, I would recommend purchasing a case or AppleCare+, just as I would recommend those to a customer who is concerned with dropping their phone.

Im concerned about using a normal amount of force during normal day to day activities involving placing the phone in my front pocket and doing normal things such as standing and sitting.

i understand you cannot speculate on the matter

I was interested in hearing your thoughts.

As I stated earlier, Apple has not announced any issues on the iPhone aluminum construction. That means the "bending" is not a defect of the device, but due to excessive force

so regardless of customer actions, slightly bent iphones will be considered accidental damage

Yes, bending of the iPhone is considered accidental damage.

So during normal use, if the phone gets tweaked, I am the one to blame

If your version of normal use includes enough excessive force to bend the phone, then absolutely!

Normal use: put inside front pocket of pants, stand, walk, sit down, stand up again, remove from said pocket

With proper care the iPhone will not bend.

Thank you, I will put it in a case and treat it delicately like a newborn child

Great!

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
This is unacceptable. When a mobile phone can't even be placed in your pocket anymore because it's TOO FRAGILE it's not really a mobile phone anymore.

I've never had a case on any of my iPhone's and I've had all of them but the iPhone 5. My iPhone's have never broken from being in my pockets.

I don't mistreat any of my devices. I do not drop them. I take care of them, but putting it in my front pocket shouldn't be considered mistreating it.

Xeyad

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
Will Apple say anything about this matter on the 16th?

I think they might bring it up as a joke

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
I can't see how this is possible have you any pictures.

I don't see how people don't understand that the reason people don't have a ton of pictures is because people tend to use their new phone as their camera, so they might not have a readily available way to take a picture.

I'm not saying people haven't lied about it, but to call out everyone as a liar that has no "proof" that is reporting this issue is completely narrow-minded. It's clear it's a problem at this point, even if it's not completely widespread, it's obvious by now that people have been having troubles with it.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I don't see how people don't understand that the reason people don't have a ton of pictures is because people tend to use their new phone as their camera, so they might not have a readily available way to take a picture.

Please....

That could have been the truth a decade ago. Nowadays even 7 year old kids have a camera-phone. Everyone around you (family, work etc) have a phone camera. It takes only few second to take a photo and e-mail it to yourself. Not having a camera can no longer be an excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.