Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Yes.. 4S = 8 MP. iPhone 5 = 8 MP with some "enhancements". iPhone 5S = 8MP with some "enhancements".

iPhone 6 = 8MP with "enhancements"??

I know megapixels aren't everything, but good luck telling the masses that the camera is really improving if you try that again.

iPhone 5S camera ACTUALLY is better than iPhone 5 camera in almost every aspects.
It's not just marketing ....

Megapixels aren't anything, above 5-6 Mpixel. Sensor dimensions, aperture, lenses are way more important.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I personally love the iPhone camera, but this statements irks me:

And more? And more? What does that mean? There is no "more". You've literally listed every single improvement of the camera in the 5s, still you feel the need to add the equivalent of "etc." at the end of the phrase.

Did you realize that speaking about a camera, bigger sensor and wider aperture means a totally different world ?

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Apple to continue using the same parts equates to standing still and providing higher margins.

Nobody is suggesting that Apple is going to use the same part. The article is only suggesting that the next part Apple uses may be 8MP. Apple has been using 8MP part for a few generations, but the camera itself has been significantly improved with each generation. The difference in quality between the 4s and 5s is night and day.
The most rational reason to want higher MP is to improve the quality of zooming. But this seems wrong to me because it only results in wasting most of the surface on your sensor. If we need to increase size to solve this issue, I feel that the goal should be a thin optical zoom lens instead of larger sensors.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
8MP or not, the fact remains that the Galaxy S4 I had took way better pictures than the 5S does (my girlfriend has one, which I've used extensively). I don't know if that's due to a greater amount of megapixels (13 vs 8), or a larger sensor (I'm not sure this is even the case though? Probably not, if I remember correctly the 5S has a bigger sensor, come to think of it...) or something else. Some of you may disagree, but this is how I experienced it. I wouldn't want to go back to the laggy TouchWiz experience of the S4, as I prefer the iPhone iOS any day of the week - but the S4 did have an amazing camera and a beautiful screen, I have to give it that.

No matter what happens, I hope Apple will provide a truly remarkable camera in the iPhone 6.

Not a single review reported Samsung S4 camera as significantly better than iPhone 5S ....

Last edited:

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Lol at you apple kool-aid drinkers:

Apple says they stick to 8MP you apple juice sippers say YES! Way to go apple that's brilliant. When the industry moves forward. Then when apple finally releases a 13MP camera in the iphone 10, you guys say that's right! 13MP is the sweet spot!

Repeat, rinse, and you have the exact recipe for apple apologists.

Go try 4K video on a note 3. Even the slow motion has 1/8, 1/4, and 1/2 speed settings. Even their basic 1080p offers more bitrate than any iphone 5S camera. Just because apple doesn't use 13MP camera and the other guys do, it automatically means they are all crap while your 8MP is superior.

Sheeps!

Are we the sheeps ?
Noooo dude, you are the perfect target for Samesung marketing: add 0.2" and 2 Mpixel at every iteration to attract more customers ....

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I would hope future iPhones (and iPads) would have a higher Megapixel count, not for bigger photos but so you can use the zoom and not loose quality. One thing I hate about using the 5s is having to step closer to frame the shot, with my DSLR I'd just zoom and be done with it.

I'd expect the iPhone 6 to be 12 Mega or better.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Why? It's a great smartphone from what I hear.

Personally, the only reason I wouldn't use it is because it's on AT&T. Now if someone else were paying the bill, and bought it; or if Sprint carried it and someone bought it then I am game!

So far I've had nothing but good luck and I've grown SO MUCH by leaving the Apple ecosystem.

For example, every service Apple and Google offers is available on Windows 8. It's like having the best of both worlds!

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Why? It's a great smartphone from what I hear.

Form factor and operative system .... I have a Lumia 620, and while I like it more than any Android phone I used to have, it's just "not enough" for me.
Btw a camera-centric phone is not my target, since I have a DSLR for serious shoots.

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
I'm not alone in hoping Apple decides to use one of the leading edge camera parts from Sony.

Hell, the Sony phone has 20 Megapixel higher resolution camera.

Apple to continue using the same parts equates to standing still and providing higher margins.

Users want more reasons to upgrade. not just a better CPU and fingerprint scanner on a larger screen.

Take a look at this info on the Sony new Phone with great camera built in.

Can't we get this type of camera in the iphone?

http://www.sonymobile.com/us/products/phones/xperia-z1s/features/#camera

SONY charges 50% more than the competitors. If Apple going to higher MP image sensors from SONY, it is going to cost Apple a lot more. SONY does not care if its used in its own product.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Personally, the only reason I wouldn't use it is because it's on AT&T. Now if someone else were paying the bill, and bought it; or if Sprint carried it and someone bought it then I am game!

So far I've had nothing but good luck and I've grown SO MUCH by leaving the Apple ecosystem.

For example, every service Apple and Google offers is available on Windows 8. It's like having the best of both worlds!

"In my imagination" is your location, and the place where every service Apple and Google offers is available on windows 8 :D

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I hope you're not referring to the Lumia 1020. They're far from mediocre.

Agreed. The photos from the lumia are incredible. Better than most compact digital cameras and on par with some micro 4/3 cameras I've seen.

They make my iPhone 5 photos look like crayons drawings.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Myth.

More megapixels don't help with "zoom" if the lens is too small, or the exposure is too long (which more pixels may require). You just end up with millions of pixels containing mostly the same blurry stuff as their neighboring pixels.

I never knew that. Sorry.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Maybe... but I've been feeling like Apple has been falling behind on the iPhone camera hardware a little too much. I'd like to see more substantial improvements.

One nice thing about more MP is that one could crop in and still retain decent resolution. That's a nice thing about Nokia's 41MP lumina. Only problem with that is that its a windows phone.

In theory yes, but this won't help if the lens doesn't form a good image or if the picture elements become small resulting in noise and low dynamic range. The more electrons you can accumulate in each cell the clearer the image. Smaller cells in the sensor magnify any flaws in the lens and any camera motion while taking a picture.

aiom

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
Unless you're printing pictures, you don't need double digit MP.

99% of photos being taken with the iPhone just go up on FB, Instagram, Twitter, etc.

Things that actually affect the photo (light, color tones, depth, speed) are what make the photos great, not the size of the file.

I am a picture printer. Love Shutterfly :) With more megapixels, there's more room to crop a picture and still have high quality. I upload everything to Google+/Flickr/Skydrive anyway, storage is not an issue.

The 5s takes beautiful pictures in natural light, and still settings (burst mode is OK). I just went to Winter Wonderland at night, and half the pictures at night are terrible. We brought along a Canon PowerShot ELPH 310 HS that cost $200 a few years ago, it blew my 5s out of the park.

There is still much to be improved. The 12 megapixels of the 310 helped (as well as the 5s refusing to AutoFlash because I trusted it that night).

aiom

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
Wish the front camera was better too. I love taking selfies, but I don't want the awful 5s selfie resolution :/ Maybe a 4k Facetime sensor next time :)

lookerjdc

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
waiting to see what happens with the acquisition of SnappyLabs SnappyCam app - that should help boost things

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Again, its not MPs that make a decent photo. Its also lens and size of sensor. Im glad its at 8MP, the chase to add more and more MP is crazy and does not give a better photo, only a bigger printable photo with the same noise. So i like apple keeping the MP size and work on the other parts of taking a photo.

aiom

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
Again, its not MPs that make a decent photo. Its also lens and size of sensor. Im glad its at 8MP, the chase to add more and more MP is crazy and does not give a better photo, only a bigger printable photo with the same noise. So i like apple keeping the MP size and work on the other parts of taking a photo.

More megapixels means the PowerShot ELPH 310 HS can take shots further away than the 5s and still look better.

UltimaKilo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2007
FL
I really don't understand the problem. The iPhone 5S already takes remarkable pictures. Any improvement will be welcome, but simply a bonus.

Hopefully Apple continues to improve the camera software.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
How about a 3 megapixel front camera? You know, for... Let's call it "Snapchat".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.