Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Yes it seems as though they have now updated it with the camera cutout. The ones I have cover the camera. I will give them a try and see if the protector interferes with the camera before I re purchase these.

This image would also explain the need for an open ended home button cut out. It seems the glass curves immediately after the home button. So the small piece of plastic required to complete the cutout would be on the curved part of glass and would be prone to lifting if it ever stuck at all.

The Amazon UK Store says Only 5 left in stock.

Wondering whether I should order it or if that's still the old batch and Amazon haven't got the news ones from Spigen yet...

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
The Amazon UK Store says Only 5 left in stock.

Wondering whether I should order it or if that's still the old batch and Amazon haven't got the news ones from Spigen yet...

I'm just going to give the old batch a try first. I can count the times I've used the front facing camera on my 4S on one hand. So unless it causes serious problems, I think i will be fine.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
Yes it seems as though they have now updated it with the camera cutout. The ones I have cover the camera. I will give them a try and see if the protector interferes with the camera before I re purchase these.

This image would also explain the need for an open ended home button cut out. It seems the glass curves immediately after the home button. So the small piece of plastic required to complete the cutout would be on the curved part of glass and would be prone to lifting if it ever stuck at all.

I'm just going to give the old batch a try first. I can count the times I've used the front facing camera on my 4S on one hand. So unless it causes serious problems, I think i will be fine.

I've ordered the Spigen one just now, if it doesn't have a camera cut out then I am going to return it to Amazon free of charge. Getting it tomorrow.

Archerious

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2010
Texas
I went for the Tech Armor Tempered Glass one. I was trying to pick Tech Armor or iSmooth, as both have tempered glass, but I went with the latter since I have experience with it.

Any else use Tech Armor before?

BrightCanon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
I just got an email from Spigen. They said they had made slight adjustments to the screen protectors and theyre going to send me a new set in the next few days. They said to use the old ones until the new ones come and thank you. #

Edit: beaten.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
I can't stand screen protectors that are open under the home button. For some reason this for me is an absolute no no.

If there's non available that don't close under the home button it would actually be enough to put me off buying the phone.

youknome

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2010
I just got an email from Spigen. They said they had made slight adjustments to the screen protectors and theyre going to send me a new set in the next few days. They said to use the old ones until the new ones come and thank you. #

Edit: beaten.

Did you order from Spigen or Amazon? I've ordered mine from Amazon but if Spigen are willing to send me the adjusted ones I won't bother returning it to Amazon.

haticK

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2011
New York
I'm hoping our Verizon store gets some for the 6+ tomorrow and I'll just use one of those until a good one comes out.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I can't stand screen protectors that are open under the home button. For some reason this for me is an absolute no no.

If there's non available that don't close under the home button it would actually be enough to put me off buying the phone.

That's ridicuous over a screen protector?

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
Think i'm just gonna buy Applecare+ and go naked. Non of the protectors i've seen have had anything decent about them.

Its a shame because Spigen were easily the best vendor for the iPhone 5/5S. I loved their Dual and Mix series and used them for my 5 and 5S. But this year has been a mess.

I bought the wrong cutout ones from a reseller on Amazon and he's trying to play the ignorance card.

Already filed a claim purely because he/she was irritating me.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
People just aren't getting it.

Curved glass means that a flat screen protector can't stick because the is no surface to stick to on the curve.

Options:

Go naked

Ugly screen protector

Case with a huge lip that is close to the edges

Wet screen protector that can go to the edge

Wait for someone to come up with a solution

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010
That's ridicuous over a screen protector?

Yep.

I realise it's ridiculous but I couldn't put up with it. It looks stupid and I wouldn't want to put up with how it felt. My OCD couldn't handle it. Any more than I can put up with bubbles or dust under a screen protector.

The option is no screen protector. Which isn't an option because it's not worth taking the chance of screen scratches. People can go on about how tough the screen is all they like but I always use screen protectors. So that's not an option for me.

And what would be the point of paying £540 for something that would be a constant annoyance?

But I'm sure someone smarter than me will come up with a solution. There are a few, that going by the pics have less of a gap. As in they don't just go straight down, they close somewhat. Which isn't as bad as it just going straight down.

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
I got the Spigen one in the mail a couple days ago.
Has a camera cutout at the top.
Here:
lwk1w.jpg

Jizzles

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Dang I just bought invisible shield's glass protector and I kind of like the cut outs on the spigen...but at the same time will it be a pain to clean out those small cut outs?

I guess I'll have to wait until everyone starts applying them to their phone before I put mine on.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
Did you order from Spigen or Amazon? I've ordered mine from Amazon but if Spigen are willing to send me the adjusted ones I won't bother returning it to Amazon.

I order mine From Amazon and received them. Last Saturday

Got an Email Direct from Spigen this evening saying they we're sending out a new improved set no charge and included the USPS tracking number. :)

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

Yup. I want to know how those curved edges going to feel with the edge of the screen protector sticking out like a sore thumb when swiping from left to right navigating Safari back/forward for instance? It would interfere wouldn't it?

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Yup. I want to know how those curved edges going to feel with the edge of the screen protector sticking out like a sore thumb when swiping from left to right navigating Safari back/forward for instance? It would interfere wouldn't it?

Honestly, I put the screen protector inside of the Spigen case I got, and the screen protector is smaller than the case, so I think that it could interfere with it, but I won't know for sure until tomorrow. I'll let you know by 2pm EST tomorrow? :D

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
I got the Spigen one in the mail a couple days ago.
Has a camera cutout at the top.
Here:

How thick is the glass ones are they heavy at all? If getting your phone tomorrow can you let us know how it feels when swiping from the edge of the screen?

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer a tempered glass protector without the camera cutout. Using one on my iPhone 5 right now, and the camera works just fine. If anyone who is receiving a free Spigen replacement wants to get rid of their's without a camera cutout, I'll gladly take it off your hands.

JawneeWin

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
How thick is the glass ones are they heavy at all? If getting your phone tomorrow can you let us know how it feels when swiping from the edge of the screen?

It's not heavy at all. It's thicker than a regular screen protector, but it's not as thick as you think when you think of "glass".
It's as thick as hmmm... like a credit card.

But I'll definitely let you know tomorrow. :D

If you never had a glass screen protector before -it's so much better than regular plastic ones.

BTW, as a tip: If you buy it, don't get it directly from Spigen's site. Get it under Spigen but through Amazon. Then you can use your Amazon Prime trial if you don't have Prime, and you'll get it in 3 days. :)

----------

I'm probably in the minority here, but I prefer a tempered glass protector without the camera cutout. Using one on my iPhone 5 right now, and the camera works just fine. If anyone who is receiving a free Spigen replacement wants to get rid of their's without a camera cutout, I'll gladly take it off your hands.

I like it without the cut-out as well. But it doesn't bother me much.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
It's not heavy at all. It's thicker than a regular screen protector, but it's not as thick as you think when you think of "glass".
It's as thick as hmmm... like a credit card.

But I'll definitely let you know tomorrow. :D

If you never had a glass screen protector before -it's so much better than regular plastic ones.

BTW, as a tip: If you buy it, don't get it directly from Spigen's site. Get it under Spigen but through Amazon. Then you can use your Amazon Prime trial if you don't have Prime, and you'll get it in 3 days. :)

----------

I like it without the cut-out as well. But it doesn't bother me much.

Ok for sure looking forward to it. Yeah, I never have used a glass one always got a Power Support crystal shield which I still like was thinking of going glass this time though..if it doesn't interfere too much. I have prime just looked on Amazon and don't see the Spigen Glass 6 available for prime shipping perhaps they sold out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.