Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
Does anyone have the Tech Armor Ballistic glass on their iPhone 6? My installation was smooth but there's a halo/bubbles all around the border. Is this normal for glass protectors?

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
i wonder if it will offer the same coverage or less than the best skins ever wet application protector i currently have (or possibly more). mine has a very slight gap between edge and protector, but it looks similar to what i see in the pics of the curved steinheil.

Femme

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Does anyone have the Tech Armor Ballistic glass on their iPhone 6? My installation was smooth but there's a halo/bubbles all around the border. Is this normal for glass protectors?

I got mine a week ago from Amazon but it was the older version (the one with an ugly square cut out). I messaged tech armor about it and they are kindly sending out a replacement for the updated version. The one that I have on now (the older version) is perfectly fine. No halo effect. However; from what I've read or seen so far on this forum, the updated version tends to have that halo issue. Hopefully it isn't the case for the updated one I'm waiting for. You should contact tech armor about it. See if they can do anything. Also complaining about the halo effect will give them an incentive to make another better version.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I will certainly be interested in this.

I noticed that Steinheil previously released a similar protector for the Galaxy SIII which also had a curved display.

View attachment 521437

View attachment 521438

I had one of these on my Galaxy S3 but another brand. The fit was really good and worked with most cases. I have been wondering when someone else would make this.

Pre-order on Amazon is $14.99

http://www.amazon.com/Protector-Spi...0730230&sr=1-1&keywords=spigen+curved+crystal

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
I had one of these on my Galaxy S3 but another brand. The fit was really good and worked with most cases. I have been wondering when someone else would make this.

Pre-order on Amazon is $14.99

http://www.amazon.com/Protector-Spi...0730230&sr=1-1&keywords=spigen+curved+crystal

I've pre-ordered one myself from Spigen, should hopefully be dispatched on the 10th.

How did the one on your S3 hold up? Did the curved edges stay stuck down? From the few reviews I could find it seems as though it was pretty good.

ricktat

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2013
I've pre-ordered one myself from Spigen, should hopefully be dispatched on the 10th.

How did the one on your S3 hold up? Did the curved edges stay stuck down? From the few reviews I could find it seems as though it was pretty good.

The only tricky part was taking the plastic backing off without bending the curve. You had to be really careful.

I only had the S3 for a few months and then the Iphone 5 came out.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I blew it big time. I bought the Apple store’s Power Support screen protector and wasn’t aware they included 2 protectors. There was instruction about using a protector-looking part to remove dust from the screen and I believe that I used one of the protectors for that reason and tossed it in the trash when I was done.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
I blew it big time. I bought the Apple store’s Power Support screen protector and wasn’t aware they included 2 protectors. There was instruction about using a protector-looking part to remove dust from the screen and I believe that I used one of the protectors for that reason and tossed it in the trash when I was done.

lol the big white oversize sticker for dust removal doesn't look like a screen protector at all

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
lol the big white oversize sticker for dust removal doesn't look like a screen protector at all

Yeah, and the one protector I got on partially covers the facing camera and the phone audio out port. I'm totally hosed with that purchase. :roll eyes:

It was an impulse buy after having upgraded to 128 gigs on the next to last day of being able to do a holiday extended swap. The 6 plus I surrendered had my Spigen crystal on it from the 3 pack.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Ive used (and always really liked) MediaDevil's front and rear protectors for years (they are my 'go to' supplier for all of my devices).

I've asked Santa for their Tempered Glass clear protector: http://mediadevil.com/index.php/bro...agicscreen-tempered-glass-apple-iphone-6.html

Well Santa did indeed bring me a MD Glass protector and I put it on yesterday and I must say it's a great piece of kit.

I applied it in the bathroom with the shower running to remove dust from the air and it went on without a hitch (I've been known to be a bit ham fisted applying normal screen protectors! :D ).

Anyway, really pleased with it.

I've got a Quadlock case case on the phone (and the car holder which is superb) and it has a nice lip on the front and actually covers the outer edge of the bezel too, so although the glass screen protector isn't 'full screen' (as per most of them at the mo), I do have almost full screen protection, thanks to a combination of the screen protector and the case.

Last edited:

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
BSE glossy front screen protector. Matte body/back.

Really crappy pictures and crappier install :).
Installed last night. Not sure about the screen. the back matte is staying. Considering a glass type screen protector now.

Attachments

• IMG_1053.JPG
    IMG_1053.JPG
    356.4 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_1056.JPG
    IMG_1056.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_1058.JPG
    IMG_1058.JPG
    321.7 KB · Views: 233

jasonp99

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2007
arcadia protector

I got this Arcadia screen protector from Amazon

Arcadia case

It's got a white border on the outside and covers most of the screen, but not the curved part. Unfortunately it did not work with my Tech21 Classic Check case as the edges on the protector interfered with the lip on the case (protector edges pried up so would not sit flat). Otherwise it went on fine though had to re-do it 3 times to get rid of the bubbles. It is noticeably thick as well.

pocketdoc

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2008
There seems to be a new version of the "edge to edge" glass protectors, such as this one, that stop just short of the edge of the phone. Tech Armor is the best known of these, I suppose.

The do feel better if you are going naked or are using a skin or thin case, but you can still feel the edges. They just don't have the gap that the original edge to edge glass SPs have.

Zagg and other covers that only cover the flat portion of the screen may not look best, but when sliding in from the side (esp without a case)m the feel is best, in my opinion. I like the look of the Tech Armor and will leave it on my phone for now.

I am not convinced that there will be great solution to covering a curved screen, but it is always interesting to see what people design.

Look at the Amazon link and there are some reviewers pics. Look at the side pics and you will see what I mean. They could taper the edge better, but then it would be WAY too sharp.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I went back to an Apple store to re-buy the Power Support to replace my crappy installation. The red shirted guy offered to put it on for me and I accepted. What an amazing job he did, right there on the wooden table among the normal Apple store commotion. I was impressed. :eek:

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

Installed last night. Not sure about the screen. the back matte is staying. Considering a glass type screen protector now.

Dam - I can even see the 'orange peel effect' just from your photo. Doesn't look very nice IMHO.

If you're after a glass 'edge to edge' protectir - check the Ultimate Shield out, which are being discussed here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1828628/

For £9.99, you can't really go wrong!

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Dam - I can even see the 'orange peel effect' just from your photo. Doesn't look very nice IMHO.

If you're after a glass 'edge to edge' protectir - check the Ultimate Shield out, which are being discussed here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1828628/

For £9.99, you can't really go wrong!

Yeah I'm not too wild about this install. It has toned down a bit since i took the photo, but it's still pretty bad.

I'll check out that Ultimate Shield. Thanks!

This is another contender:
http://www.amazon.com/Ballistic-Pro...TF8&qid=1420773839&sr=8-1&keywords=tech+armor

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011

That front skin looks awful, did you use too much water?

I have the back Matt skin on mine from BSE which I'm very happy with. Had it on since launch and is still holding up well apart from a little browning around the edges. I have a spare which I will install if this one fails.

I didn't want to fit the front skin because of this exact orange peel issue.

A previous poster posted this from Steinheil which seems to offer edge-edge protection. http://www.spigen.com/iphone-6-screen-protector-steinheil-curved-crystal-4-7.html I have ordered one so just waiting for it to arrive. I have the normal crystal one fitted now but it only covers the flat part of the screen.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
If you put on a screen protector and change your mind later you will loose the fingerprint resistant coating as the screen protector will peal this off.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California

I have the back Matt skin on mine from BSE which I'm very happy with. Had it on since launch and is still holding up well apart from a little browning around the edges. I have a spare which I will install if this one fails.

A previous poster posted this from Steinheil which seems to offer edge-edge protection. http://www.spigen.com/iphone-6-screen-protector-steinheil-curved-crystal-4-7.html I have ordered one so just waiting for it to arrive. I have the normal crystal one fitted now but it only covers the flat part of the screen.

I may have used a bit too much water. This was my second attempt. The first one I didn't use enough water, so probably overcompensated on the second time. I'm gonna live with this for a few weeks.

That Steinheil looks nice. I've used Spigen screen protectors before and they are well made. Love their cases.

bimmerchop

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
It may have been installer error, but I'd still reach out to BSE... That's just way too much orange peel, definitely the worst I've seen. I'm running the glossy front on mine as well and don't have anywhere near as much orange peel.

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

Sorry but am I being totally stupid here when I ask - is that Spigen one you have linked to, a glass protector?!! :eek:. All it says on the website is 'Crystal Protector' ?! Is it glass or just a standard flimsy style protector?!

nathdogg

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Sorry but am I being totally stupid here when I ask - is that Spigen one you have linked to, a glass protector?!! :eek:. All it says on the website is 'Crystal Protector' ?! Is it glass or just a standard flimsy style protector?!

The Spigen one is a plastic/film type protector. They do have glass ones, but I believe they only cover the flat area of the display.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
If you put on a screen protector and change your mind later you will loose the fingerprint resistant coating as the screen protector will peal this off.

never heard of this happening and seriously doubt it would to be honest.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.