Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will2145

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Personally, if I am totally honest, the very first screen protectors I bought for my iPhone 6 were these ones:

http://www.spigen.co.uk/iphone-6-screen-protector-crystal-4-7.html#.VEeDRxY091A

Obviously, they are not glass tempered ones but I think, these are just as good. They leave a very slight gap all around the iPhone 6's lcd screen (about 1mm - just like the tempered glass ones do), however, these ones are super silky smooth, they show NO fingerprints, there is no 'rainbow' effect like cheaper films show and are obviously a lot thinner than glass shields, and finally - they come in a pack of 3. I've had mine on since release day of the iPhone 6 and can see NO scratches (not even hair line) on these at all.

I've looked around at ALL other glass tempered shields and the reality is, I am not happy with how ANY of them look on the iPhone 6.

Don't really go for the 'wet install' variety either as these all tend to have that 'sticky rubbery feel' and 'orange peel' look - both which I hate!

In my view, you can't beat Spigen's Crystal Clear protectors (and NO I don't work for Spigen!!)!

I had these for the 5 series, loved them at first but when that oleophobic coating wears off, man oh man... They started producing hairline scratches and got worst over time.

mgs315

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2011
That looks pretty good. How's the clarity and does it have 'orange peel' effect on the screen? thanks

There is some orange peel, however I feel it is negligible enough to only notice if you're looking for it. It has reduced since yesterday when I applied it and should continue to reduce for the next few days. Very small bubbles left over have gone too. Clarity is great (mind you, I'd only had the phone out of the box and powered up just enough to check the screen for defects so I don't really have a benchmark in my head to compare it to).

I think it'll scratch quite easily but if it takes the hit instead of the screen for a few months before needing a replacement that's fine with me. No edge lift (yet) either, though yet again not holding out on that as it isn't wide enough to be concealed by my Spigen Neo Hybrid. Does look sexy in black and red though :)

DaBossIsHere

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
Can someone tell me, that since screeb protectors currently do not offer edge-to-edge protection, will the unprotected sides (the curved edges) of the iPhone get scratched by time? Or is there a case that wraps around these curved edges and protect them? Thanks.

tvotony

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2013
I'm using a zagg tempered glass on my 6+ and along the edges you can see that it's coming up

VeerK

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
It's damn near impossible to go through all the pages of the thread on my phone, but is there a general consensus of the best tempered glass protector? I'm also using a case for my 6+...

Cheers.

travis333

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2013
It's damn near impossible to go through all the pages of the thread on my phone, but is there a general consensus of the best tempered glass protector? I'm also using a case for my 6+...

Cheers.

No. They all suck. The nilkin rip offs from China are tempting but I'm weary of the extra bulk and compatibility with cases. The next gen iloome could be the winner but it won't be available for months.

VeerK

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
No. They all suck. The nilkin rip offs from China are tempting but I'm weary of the extra bulk and compatibility with cases. The next gen iloome could be the winner but it won't be available for months.

Thanks for the info. the only one I knew about was some phantom glass thing, even then not many reviews.

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008

Cheers.

I'm in the same boat as you but I am going with the ZAGG Glass... Seems like the best out there (for now) and a professional gets to install it - meaning I don't have to worry about putting it on wrong or it not being aligned.

Biggs91276

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2014
Kansas
I'm in the same boat as you but I am going with the ZAGG Glass... Seems like the best out there (for now) and a professional gets to install it - meaning I don't have to worry about putting it on wrong or it not being aligned.
It's super easy to install with the included tabs that are on the glass itself. Easy to align and install

toxicdrift

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
any1 using the Spartan Tempered Glass Screen Protector from Xtremeguard ... im wondering weather its worth it with the 90% off coupon today

Last edited:

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
any1 using the Spartan Tempered Glass Screen Protector from Xtremeguard ... im wondering weather its worth it with the 90% off coupon today

I've been using mine since i got the iPhone, I haven't had any problems yet but I wouldn't say they are one of the better choices to go with. But in all fairness, I really can't tell the difference from their glass SP and the bodyguardz pure I used for 2 years on my 5.

toxicdrift

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2009
ive ordered one.. i have also ordered a nillkin cp+ 0.3mm (used the amazing h+ before but it doesnt cover that much area, seller also told me to go for Bepak Super H+ Nano Anti Burst Tempered Glass Film instead as it covers more area then the nillkin h+) all three r on order, will take a while to come from china, whats the most liked glass around here, ive seen some people mention the zagg / mime ?? anything else ive missed please let me know. i want to order 1 good set incase im unhappy with the above.. i got the other 2 when the aliexpress sale was going on so i didnt spend alot on all 3 :D

rondolor

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2014
Clear sides vs white frame

I just want to share my current glass screen protectors for my iphone 6 and 6 plus

for iphone 6 (full coverage with transparent sides but no adhesive on the curve part)
https://imageshack.com/i/p4OtZpiZj

https://imageshack.com/i/exS8sLhxj

for iphone 6 plus (full coverage with white frame)
https://imageshack.com/i/iqU5nyizj

side by side

https://imageshack.com/i/idQc5c3zj

The glass screen protector with transparent sides is really nice to look at but dust will be visible once it entered the gap between the protector and phone which will not be a problem with the one with white frame. Btw, I bought these here in japan, the brand of glass with clear sides is "revolution glass mask" while the other one is "leplus" which i think same as the iloome but this one is more expensive than iloome. Their prices are the same, around ¥4200 or roughly $36. The thickness of the clear one is .23mm but .33mm thickness is also available for this brand. For the one with white frame, only .4mm thickness is available.

smileycon

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2014
I use the JETech, works great and the price worth it. Got it because I saw many good reviews on Amazon.
iPhone 6 Screen Protector, JETech® 3-Pack Screen Protector Film Retail Packaging for Apple iPhone 6 4.7 Inch (HD Clear)

71QUhJa-dkL._SL1500_.jpg

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
The stuff from them is junk. Try iCarez glass.

I didn't try the iCarez glass but did get the 3 pack PET film pack from iCarez. I did get a super install with the first try. What I noticed about this protector is that it did give just a tad more on the sides. All the others were exact with zero room for error. My only complaint was that the feel had major drag. I took care of that with some Granite Gold polish - leaves a super slippery glide.

How was the feel of the glass protector? Did it also extend just a sliver over the sides of the screen?

MNR

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2014
Just received the nillkin today by usps that I ordered 2 weeks ago on ebay. And I ordered the wrong one .. I. Ordered the iPhone 6 plus instead of the 6. If someone is interested in buying it, you can PM me.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA

I ordered one recently. Just received it today with a carbon skin for the back of the phone. Some people on here have said that their screen protectors have come to them cracked but luckily mine didn't. I think Xtremeguard got the message and have changed from sending their glass screen protectors in the mail via envelope to thin cardboard envelopes. So far so good.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I wonder what the percentage of iPhone users who fit screen protectors is, and if the figure is high, I wonder why Apple used curved screens on the iPhone 6? Apple retail stores sell screen protectors for the iPhone 6 so why did they design such an impractical phone? All these screen protectors look rubbish because they can only cover the flat areas of the screen.

Jazper

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
I wonder what the percentage of iPhone users who fit screen protectors is, and if the figure is high, I wonder why Apple used curved screens on the iPhone 6? Apple retail stores sell screen protectors for the iPhone 6 so why did they design such an impractical phone? All these screen protectors look rubbish because they can only cover the flat areas of the screen.

The curved screen is nice, I really doubt Apple were thinking a lot about a screen protector while designing it - I guess the reason they sell screen protectors in-store is the same reason they produce cases, for the extra revenue.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The curved screen is nice, I really doubt Apple were thinking a lot about a screen protector while designing it - I guess the reason they sell screen protectors in-store is the same reason they produce cases, for the extra revenue.

Design should be about more than just aesthetics, there should be a practicality element. By focussing purely on aesthetics Apple have produced a phone which has a protruding camera, is prone to bending unless care is shown, and one which it is impossible to fit an 'invisible' screen protector to. Ironically, fitting a screen protector to Apple's aesthetically pleasing design ends up making the phone look terrible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.