Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m.x

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2014
As for the physically larger A9 chip, I'm hoping that they either added an extra core such as the A8X in the iPad Air 2, or they've added additional video cores. The latter would suggest that they might have moved to @3X for the display. I suppose it could be for the extra RAM, but I think that after three years they could just use a denser chip in place of the 1GB module, correct? If this A9 chip is 10% larger, and their new process is 14nm, then that's 30% smaller than the 20nm process. For reference, the A8 chip is about 30% smaller than the A8X chip—at least according to some numbers I found in a quick search. So either this iPhone is going to be freakishly fast (extra cpu and/or video cores, have amazing battery life (more integrated chips), or a mix of both (I think this option is likely). But significant improvements should be seen if their 14nm process results in a larger chip. Someone please correct me if I'm way off base with that assumption!

I'm looking forward to these energy efficient chips. My iPhone 6 Plus has plenty of battery life, but that is my only meaningful concern with going back down to a smaller iPhone. I hope they are also able to squeeze a few hundred extra mAh into the new battery design. As I mentioned above, the 14nm process should really help as well—as long as they don't put all of their design budget into speed. Overall this should be a solid upgrade that is much more significant internally.

Wasn't there a rumor about the A9 with 4 cores? 2 cores clocked @ 1,8 GHz (or something similar), and the other 2 clocked @ 1,0 GHz or less... In power saving mode, it could use the less powerful cores to prevent battery drain, and when performance is needed it could switch to the high performance cores...

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
So much for the minor upgrade I keep hearing - this is easily the biggest iPhone upgrade in years...
A9
12/16MP iSight Camera
1080p Facetime camera
LTE chip (up 300 Mbps)
2G RAM
7000 aluminium frame
Force Touch

thats an exaggeration, almost in the realm of hyperbole...

the upgrade is consistent with S cycle upgrades of the past. In contrast.. the 4s:
A5 (dual core...huge deal), 8MP iSight camera, 4G, 512mb RAM, SIRI (big)...

The 5s:
A7, 64Bit (1st in the world..huge deal), Motion co-processor (big), even better camera, new anodizing on the frame, touch ID (big)..

greenstumps

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2015
I just don't think pressure sensitivity will take off, it's far too complicated, it's like how 99% of people don't know any gestures that require more than one finger, other than pinch to zoom. We saw this on the PS2 and PS3 controllers, where they have pressure sensitive buttons, people didn't like them, they wanted them to be on or off. I think that's how people will be with this, they want to touch the screen and have it do something, they don't want to have different pressure sensitivities and gestures to worry about.

I was personally hoping for something to make it feel like you're actually hitting buttons when typing. They did this with the Macbook touch pad, they made it feel so much like clicking a button.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
By combining the functions of two chips into one on the iPhone 6s, power efficiency and performance are improved while taking up less space on the logic board.

Oh great. That means they can reduce the battery capacity to provide the "same great battery life as iPhone 6" :-(

I confess that I'm worried about that happening too, and if it does I'll be incredibly disappointed, but....

Take a look at the 2nd picture in the article, the one just below the video where they show the iPhone 6 battery that they used because they couldn't get hold of a leaked 6s battery. There seems to be a lot of space around that battery (an earlier main PCB leak mentioned that the new 6s PCB is a bit narrower than the existing 6 main PCB which might account for some of the extra space). This makes me hopeful that maybe there will be a bit more physical space left for the battery in the 6s in which case it could be a bit wider and maybe longer/taller which would equate to a bit more volume and hence a bit more charge capacity - at least that's what I'm hoping.

Also, one worry of mine was that adding ForceTouch to the screen would make it sufficiently thicker to not only use up all of the rumoured additional 0.2mm thickness of the overall case but also leave slightly less internal thickness for the battery which would reduce the available volume and might mean that the battery does end up being smaller. Now though with this leak they seem to have been able to assemble it all in the case with the new FourceTouch screen and a battery that is the same thickness as an existing iPhone 6 battery (because it is an existing iPhone 6 battery) and the whole thing seems to fit together which makes me hopeful that the battery in the 6s won't need to be squeezed down in size because of a thicker ForceTouch screen assembly.

On balance this leak makes me a bit more optimistic about the possible battery size in the 6s. I really hope that I'm right because I deliberately held off upgrading to a 6 because I hoped that the 6s was an update where Apple would try very hard to increase battery life.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
The most recent design (5th and 6th generation) of the iPod touch has gone through three different dark chassis:

View attachment 577201

Each color was termed "Space Gray," and the 2013-2014 shade matches the iPhone 6. I think we can expect the 2015 iPhone to receive the 2015 Space Gray change.
Wow, thanks for the comparison shot. Out of all those examples, I actually like the 2012 version best.

Reactions: AngerDanger

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
We're almost there again with a fully functional iPhone before it is even officially announced

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2014
Practical question - do we think the iPhone 6S will fit existing iPhone 6 cases from Speck and others?
I wouldn't put my money on it!!!

I scratched my iPhone 6 trying to put it into AN IPHONE 6 case. And let me tell you, the gold does not go below the surface.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I miss my black slate iPhone 5 but I really miss my white iPhone 4. Love my space grey plus but let's face it, space grey is boring.

I'm thinking white again this time around.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i wish he could have confirmed the mAh for the battery. i was hoping for a larger battery with the increased thickness.

How do you know it was a "he"? That person indeed did not want to be discovered, wearing those gloves and no sound. I almost feel sorry for people that feel the need to spoil the surprise for the rest of us.

willwritefortea

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2015
Colorado
Does anyone else think it really looks like a USB-C connecter instead of the Lightning Port? I've watched the video a few times and it looks strikingly like a USB-C port.

RPG97

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2015
California, USA
I am hyped for this phone. Had build quality issues with the iPhone 6 (crooked front cam, off center home button, loose lock button, crooked text, etc) and all of those issues went away after a few replacements. The one issue that stayed was the screen clicking/popping, which I think is caused by minimal bending. Decided to finally return the last iP6 I bought and wait it out.

Since the iPhone 6s frame is twice as strong, that shouldn't happen. I have all my money set aside so I can buy the phone when it releases and I can't wait.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
Same crappy space silver color :/

"space silver"

And we have a winner! That was the most aesthetically disturbing part about my 6 Plus in my opinion... Didn't feel like the wonderful dark color of the 5S prior. I actually didn't mind the antenna bands... I'd go as far as saying I actually thought the lines added a pleasant contrast to the back of the phone. No lines would make it look like an iPod Touch (I don't like that design). The 6 Plus' depth, texture, curved glass and overall solid build quality make it such an attractive device.

I remember buying the first generation iPod Touch and getting myself excited because I was thinking "Wow, imagine an iPhone this thin?!" We've reached that point now... I just hope we don't keep shaving off micrometers for the sake of aesthetics -- I would much rather prefer a thicker device with a larger battery. When I was running iOS 8.4 (running 9 beta right now), I could easily go two days with moderate usage. Even on heavy usage days I had enough juice left to keep me going the next morning/afternoon.

I hope Apple develop fast charging before wireless charging. I've been using the iPad charger to charge my iPhone for the past week. It's slightly faster but I could imagine what the Android fellas experience being able to charge up their new devices in virtually no time at all. The new Note's battery is supposed to be good (all day and then some) and those guys get fast charging (both wired and wireless forms of fast charging, mind you) in a 3,000 MAh bettery. Imagine the supposed power saving advantages of the upcoming A9 along with a slightly larger 6 Plus battery and fast charging... oh goodness, the current 6 Plus is good but 6S Plus improvements could be ground breaking.

It's too late to ask for 6S features but please Apple, don't be stingy with the battery front on the 7. Part of me thinks the standard quota at Apple's Battery Department is "we just need to get through a day of medium-heavy usage, no more than that! Set the bar next year with 2-3 day battery life iPhones like the iPad has had for years.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I dunno. The 5s was a HUGE mid-cycle upgrade over the 5. TouchID and the A7 (hugely fast, introducing 64-bit, brand new image processor, and enabling Metal and slo-mo video) were groundbreaking. The A9 is pretty incremental, and I'd argue Force Touch isn't as big a deal as TouchID.

I think the 5s was a bigger jump over the 5 than the 6 was over the 5s, even.

The A9 is as incremental to the A8 as the 488 GTB is to the Mustang. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.