Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Whew! Good thing the serial numbers were blurred.
I might print the cardboard versions again and see how each fits my hand and pocket. I have a 6 plus now but still sounds like fun. :)
That was fun last year with the cardboard cutouts! It wasn't until they brought the 6+ outside the Charleston, SC store so we could hold it that I confirmed my decision. The look on the manager's face when I put it in my shirt pocket was priceless!

Reactions: Shirasaki

subzero123

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Another one wishing they go back to the slate grey, iPod touch dark metal. Sick of space grey. If they don't, I'm getting my first white iPhone

Reactions: kiensoy

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I don't think the screen has ever physically changed in an S model. It's not operationally efficient to keep updating them if your goal is to make many hundreds of millions of them. Plus, it makes the non-S model visually different.

Also, I thought RAM was layered on top of the chip or on a completely different die...
3D chip making is just in its infancy, but it promises to be HUGE! When I was in the semiconductor industry, 6 layers of interconnects was the maximum before inefficiencies made the 7th layer untenable, but with being able to put components on more planes, it makes me anxious to see how the players will develop this.

But having the onboard RAM right there where the CPU is doing the calculation could possibly make the clock speeds go up again, and that would be nice, since we've been stuck at the 2-4GHz for the last 15 years.

Eduardo Forneck

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2014
I think it's a safe bet Apple will be leaving LCD soon. OLED's earlier shortcomings are primarily worked out. As you said, the screens are pretty darn brilliant. I think the Apple watch was a baby step into the OLED world.

My personal feeling is the 7S will be the one. S for screen?;)

No, iphone 7 will be the one, apple never change hardware components like screen on S model

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
thats an exaggeration, almost in the realm of hyperbole...

the upgrade is consistent with S cycle upgrades of the past. In contrast.. the 4s:
A5 (dual core...huge deal), 8MP iSight camera, 4G, 512mb RAM, SIRI (big)...

The 5s:
A7, 64Bit (1st in the world..huge deal), Motion co-processor (big), even better camera, new anodizing on the frame, touch ID (big)..
Oops. Why I cannot see any significant upgrade from this S iteration upgrade? None of them except that susceptible force touch are big deal or huge deal, especially that 2GB of RAM is a long overdue. o_O

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I already sold my iPhone 6 for $640! rocking an old iPhone 4s right now, but ready to upgrade :p

Reactions: jajaja

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
This post may let me sell my iPhone 6 Plus 128GB to wait for this new upgrade.

But yeah, I may need to wait longer than a year to buy it, if I want. And when that day comes, iPhone 7 or even 7s would be available globally.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
From the perspective of manufacturing cost, availability and the fact that these decisions happen very early on, if Apple does decide to embrace OLED (as you mentioned, it seems that Samsung have finally worked out the shortcomings), then it will most definitely be implemented for the 7 or 8 and not in between two generations (I consider the S to be the tick).

Why not the tock?

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
I'm ready to change my iPhone 6. It's been nothing but issues ever since my wife surprise me with it. I guess this is the reason why i always had 4s, 5s and not the first one!!

Reactions: DCIFRTHS

bhayes444

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2013
What is this, 2012? Those issues have been solved a couple years ago bud. I think the confusion comes in with the fact that other manufacturers use AMOLED which still exhibit those issues HOWEVER Samsung uses SAMOLED which has none of those issues. This version of SAMOLED was developed by Samsung and used exclusively in their phones since the Galaxy S5 (I believe since the S5) and Samsung doesn't license or sell it to any other manufacturer for use in other phones. This is unfortunate because it truly is the best in class display. Color accuracy, saturation, sharpness, black levels, white levels, day light viewing all score much higher than any iPhone and was rated the " The best performing smartphone display of any kind they had ever tested" and the highest rated display that display mate (a display research company) had ever tested. The iPhone 6 display is no slouch of course, it got rated stating that it was "The best performing smartphone LCD display they had ever tested".

Anyhow if Apple could somehow manage to switch to this display it would be great. Although they have the 'best LCD display' it would be nice to have the 'best mobile display' period. However I don't see Samsung ever licensing this and giving their advantage away. Apple would need to come up with their own technology for this, but I don't see this happening either - they license their displays and outsource manufacturing of them so they really aren't in the display technology research arena (as far as developing new technologies go).
Thank you for knowing about this. I swear people think I'm speaking out of my backside when I mention Samsung's unwillingness to license it's newest display tech; I believe they do on a 2 year lag.

Reactions: SR71

darkfiber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
Columbus, OH USA
Cool another complete leak leaving nothing for our imagination.

I miss the old days when 'rumours' actually existed with Apple...

The reality is that once a new iPhone enters production there are far too many people/suppliers involved to keep it a secret. But of course the solution to being surprised when Apple makes the announcement is to avoid reading articles involving Apple hardware leaks. :)

Reactions: 5105973

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
thats an exaggeration, almost in the realm of hyperbole...

the upgrade is consistent with S cycle upgrades of the past. In contrast.. the 4s:
A5 (dual core...huge deal), 8MP iSight camera, 4G, 512mb RAM, SIRI (big)...

The 5s:
A7, 64Bit (1st in the world..huge deal), Motion co-processor (big), even better camera, new anodizing on the frame, touch ID (big)..
The 4 already had 512MB of RAM before the 4S (the original iPad with A4 too had only 256MB, though).
And it's the iPhone 5 that gave access to 4G/LTE networks, the 4S only offered access to HSPA+.
Could be added the antenna's tweak/fix in your list for the 4S. And Siri was arguably artificially limited to the brand new 4S, but in effect should be seen as a listed new feature maybe.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
I couldn't care much for force touch anyway. Gimmicky. The boost in speed and memory are good enough for me in an S version. (I'm on the S upgrade cycle.)

Reactions: Four oF NINE

shansoft

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2011
I hope it is OLED. As much of a hater that I am against Samsung. The S6 display is brilliant

Uh NO....

The color is completely oversaturated, and blurry for the most part.

The worst of all, burn-in from left to right..... Good luck with that.....

Reactions: jajaja

Polaroid

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2013
I couldn't care much for force touch anyway. Gimmicky. The boost in speed and memory are good enough for me in an S version. (I'm on the S upgrade cycle.)

How is it a gimmick? It adds a new level of interactivity. Now you can tap and hold to continue to arrange/delete icons, but now if you force touch an icon you can pull up a quick view for example. There is lots of ways it will work and make things more interactive and easier to do.

On my watch it just feels second nature to do now, it doesn't feel like effort or its there just to be cool or to sell the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.