Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atlantis_660

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2015
It shouldn't be locked in the first place. All phones purchased through AUP are supposed to come unlocked. I would suspect your phones are unlocked and Verizon is just pulling their typical crap about not activating phones not on their "white list". That was supposed to be a thing of the past, but others have reported still having trouble getting Verizon to activate non-Verizon phones.

But the thing is that at&t confirmed that the phone is locked. I'm really confused. I'm wondering if the Apple Store sold me a locked at&t version instead of an unlocked at&t version as they should have through the upgrade program.

duaneu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Bellevue, WA
But the thing is that at&t confirmed that the phone is locked. I'm really confused. I'm wondering if the Apple Store sold me a locked at&t version instead of an unlocked at&t version as they should have through the upgrade program.
Even if that's true and you get it unlocked, you still have the problem of Verizon and the IMEI number, which won't be in their system.

Reactions: rui no onna

elf42o

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
OK so I bought a Verizon iPhone 6S 6 days from from the Apple Store because it came unlocked, since I am using Straight Talk a AT&T MVNO but now doing further reading about AT&T iPhone 6S having the extra LTE band 30 kind of makes me want to go return my current VZN iPhone 6S for the AT&T variant but real question is will it come unlocked right out the box? Keep in mind i paid for the phone outright paid in full. I don't have an account with AT&T so I can't request for an unlock code via AT&T website. Any help would be much appreciated!

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
If you pay in full and buy from an Apple store it will be unlocked. Make sure you ask to buy it "device only"

It will be locked if you buy it from anywhere else (though it should work fine with Straight Talk either way)

bmustaf

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Telluride, CO
Band 30 is reportedly already live in NYC/NJ area. If you live in Boston and travel to LA and NYC, I'd say Band 30 is a pretty relevant feature.

I spend a lot of time in SFO, NYC, and LA and would not get a non-Band 30 capable device for use in the next year (I bought a full price ATT 6S for precisely this reason).

It's a non-feature until they flip that switch in the area you will be in, then it's a big deal (and it is happening, BTW). Band 30 is great in dense, crowded areas, you know, like Boston, LA, and NYC...

So silly question here as I am not an expert. If I were to get a T-Mobile unlocked iPhone 6s Plus and plug my SIM card in the reception and cell service would be the same as if I got an ATT one?

And this BAND 30 its not a big deal for the next year? I live in Boston and travel to LA and NYC and globally so that is why I am asking. I would prefer to get a full priced ATT but if there really isn't any difference than Band 30 and that doesn't really do much at all for me then I shouldn't care right?

elf42o

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2015
If you pay in full and buy from an Apple store it will be unlocked. Make sure you ask to buy it "device only"

It will be locked if you buy it from anywhere else (though it should work fine with Straight Talk either way)

I see thanks for the reply I will be checking the Apple store stock in the morning and cross my fingers the closest Apple store to me will have a space grey 64gb AT&T iphone 6S in stock cause I don't feel like driving 30 minutes away to exchange the VZN one for an AT&T one. I paid for the AppleCare+ when I purchased the Verizon iPhone 6S paid in full. I I just need to make sure the apple store makes sure to transfer that to the AT&T iphone 6S i will be getting instead.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
So I called att and they confirmed that the device is locked, but I am eligible to have it unlocked, which I am in the process of doing online now. Hopefully it goes through and my device is unlocked and I can switch to Verizon.

Was I wrong in assuming I could take my phone from att to Verizon to begin with? If my phone does get unlocked, will I have issues switching over to Verizon? I suppose I could exchange the devices for Verizon phones at the Apple Store but really would just prefer to keep our existing phones.
It's not locked. If you already had a working Verizon SIM card it would work in your iPhone 6. I've tried it. Unfortunately, Verizon won't open a new account for a customer unless the IMEI of the phone shows up on a "white list." Sprint and Verizon models do, but not AT&T or T-Mobile models. That's supposed to change, and the SIM-free iPhone 6 released last January does show up. It's likely that Apple will release a SIM-free iPhone 6S later this year that is white listed. But until then, it will be hit or miss getting a Verizon store to activate a SIM card for an "AT&T" iPhone 6, even though it is fully compatible with the network.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Has this been confirmed? I purchased a 6s Plus (AT&T) at full price from Apple last week. I tried to use a T-Mobile SIM card last night and all I got was "No Service" at the top-left corner. Granted, it was an old prepaid SIM card that hadn't been used in over a year, so I'm not sure if it was even activated. Is there an easy way to check if the phone is unlocked without a SIM card? All of the free online IMEI checkers seem to be down.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Has this been confirmed? I purchased a 6s Plus (AT&T) at full price from Apple last week. I tried to use a T-Mobile SIM card last night and all I got was "No Service" at the top-left corner. Granted, it was an old prepaid SIM card that hadn't been used in over a year, so I'm not sure if it was even activated. Is there an easy way to check if the phone is unlocked without a SIM card? All of the free online IMEI checkers seem to be down.
If the phone was locked, it would immediately go to the activation screen and then fail in reactivation.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

Yes, it's been the case for quite a while now. I have personally used a Verizon SIM card in an AT&T iPhone 6S I purchased using the Apple Upgrade Program.

imlynxy

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Band 30 is reportedly already live in NYC/NJ area. If you live in Boston and travel to LA and NYC, I'd say Band 30 is a pretty relevant feature.

I spend a lot of time in SFO, NYC, and LA and would not get a non-Band 30 capable device for use in the next year (I bought a full price ATT 6S for precisely this reason).

It's a non-feature until they flip that switch in the area you will be in, then it's a big deal (and it is happening, BTW). Band 30 is great in dense, crowded areas, you know, like Boston, LA, and NYC...
I don't think att is going to upgrade to lte 30 in Boston. They say, that the network is in good shape there. But NYC should be done ASAP. Att s-ks there.

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
got that nomadic lifestyle
so, an update to my situation:

i just requested for cancellation with T-Mo under the Lifetime Coverage Guarantee for which my handset qualifies for, in which i'm also allowed to continue financing the phone with them. (this was my only option in getting another handset to use under one of my existing carrier accounts while making monthly payments. i have too many dang phones on all four major networks to buy another handset outright. my gf already got upset when she found out i got another phone, haha.)

they will be emailing me a 'subsidy unlock code' which is supposed to allow me to use it on another carrier, especially domestically. once that has been done, that's when my T-Mo services will actually be canceled. they'll be following up with me on Monday to make everything goes well. i just have to wait for that code for now.

i'll follow up with what happens. but they did also affirm with me that should i have any issues with another carrier activating my handset, i will still be able to bring the handset back to T-Mo as long as it's still within the first 30 days.

Last edited:

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
okay.. when i hadn't received it in half an hour to an hour as i was told it would take as long as that, i called again to make sure they had my correct email address. a second request was sent in. after 5 more hours, i called again to see what was up. i was told it actually takes 24 - 48 hrs to receive the email. and apparently, it's not a code for the current iPhones (though it is for other model devices). it's just a list of directions to follow which will either be a series of steps i'd have to do within the phone, or a series of steps that involves connecting to iTunes. ugh.. i need this done before my trip on Sunday.

mpeterson78

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2008
Washington, DC
I just picked up a A1633 model at the Apple Store yesterday, paid in full. Was never asked for any AT&T account info at any point. Before I turned the phone on, I took the AT&T SIM out of my old 5S and popped it into the 6S. Everything is working fine, and my AT&T account has registered that I now have a 6S and that it is "off-contract". However, how can I check to make sure it is unlocked (without restoring the phone)? I am traveling internationally next month and would like to use a foreign SIM, I'm hoping that I'm not in that 60-day AT&T unlock waiting period people have been mentioning.

Mikedave

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
Hello everyone,
I purchased my iPhone 6s from Apple Store model a1633 the AT&T version, received on September 25 as most of you. All of you have been asking if the phone is unlocked and if it has CDMA radio. I had a chance to try all 4 carriers. Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile with activated sims from existing accounts. All carriers do work on my phone LTE, 3G data does work on sprint and Verizon and voice too, so the iPhone 6s is GSM and CDMA unlocked.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I just picked up a A1633 model at the Apple Store yesterday, paid in full. Was never asked for any AT&T account info at any point. Before I turned the phone on, I took the AT&T SIM out of my old 5S and popped it into the 6S. Everything is working fine, and my AT&T account has registered that I now have a 6S and that it is "off-contract". However, how can I check to make sure it is unlocked (without restoring the phone)? I am traveling internationally next month and would like to use a foreign SIM, I'm hoping that I'm not in that 60-day AT&T unlock waiting period people have been mentioning.
Try another SIM. T-mobile or Verizon would be fine for testing. Doesn't even have to be an active SIM

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
I just activated the T-Mobile 6S+ model on US Cellular's CDMA network. Like the A1633, I think the MEID activation process is more of a manual one on their end (each time I've had to tell them the type of phone, color, storage, etc.), but everything went relatively smoothly this time around. I think the headaches I dealt with with the A1633 helped prepare me.

Like the A1633, LTE was working with my old sim on the A1687 out of the box. But as I've already posted in this thread, I lost data after getting the MEID of the AT&T version activated.. and I'm pretty sure it was due to someone reentering the SIM number incorrectly. This time I declined to confirm the ICCID number when the rep asked for it.

So based on my experiences successfully activating t-mobile and AT&T 6S models on CDMA, I think it's safe to assume all full price Apple Store 6S phones are indeed unlocked. I guess I could try activating a new USC sim to see what happens. But either way, if you have any issues with activation, the problem is likely with your carrier, or the person helping you.

Don't believe them if they tell you the phone isn't compatible, because it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: vista.john

Mikedave

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
I just activated the T-Mobile 6S+ model on US Cellular's CDMA network. Like the A1633, I think the MEID activation process is more of a manual one on their end (each time I've had to tell them the type of phone, color, storage, etc.), but everything went relatively smoothly this time around. I think the headaches I dealt with with the A1633 helped prepare me.

Like the A1633, LTE was working with my old sim on the A1687 out of the box. But as I've already posted in this thread, I lost data after getting the MEID of the AT&T version activated.. and I'm pretty sure it was due to someone reentering the SIM number incorrectly. This time I declined to confirm the ICCID number when the rep asked for it.

So based on my experiences successfully activating t-mobile and AT&T 6S models on CDMA, I think it's safe to assume all full price Apple Store 6S phones are indeed unlocked. I guess I could try activating a new USC sim to see what happens. But either way, if you have any issues with activation, the problem is likely with your carrier, or the person helping you.

Don't believe them if they tell you the phone isn't compatible, because it is.

Mikedave

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
Hello,
I have an AT&T version a1633 unlocked, I tried all 4 different providers sims Sprint, Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile. All sims work perfectly on my phone with voice and LTE. So I decide to call apple and ask a few questions about my phone. My first question was if my phone is cdma compatible ? the level 3 tech told me I need cdma version of a phone, second question was if my phone is unlocked since I purchased it for full retail price? the answer was that they don't sell simfree/unlocked 6s iPhones yet. In my conclusion don't waste your time with apple techs they only know how setup up these phones if you get a knolegeble tech, otherwise they don't know these things just run your own tests. I am very disappointed with Apple tech support.

Reactions: Broadus

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
update to my situation...

my very long and problematic journey in getting my T-Mo 6s+ unlocked by T-Mo is finally over. after the brutal abuse and false information, i finally got it SIM permanently unlocked for domestic usage.

next, getting it activated by Sprint...

this was a less painful journey. many Sprint reps denied me being able to bring a non-Sprint iPhone to Sprint, mostly because they're not educated on it. Sprint actually has a BYO iPhone program for a certain compatible models. basically, the MEID has to be added to their system. calling in will be a longer process. i'd suggest going to a Store where they'll do it on spot. when a Sprint rep denies such thing exists, tell them Advanced Technical Support told you to have the rep refer to the March 11, 2015 playbook regarding the BYO iPhone. this only qualifies for existing Consumer and Business accounts and which are in good-standing.

Last edited:

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I returned my iP6s+128 T-Mobile version this morning. The Apple sales chick said they had a conference call this morning where staff was informed that Apple will be updating its website shortly to reflect that *all* 6s and 6s+ iPhones receive Band 30. I think she must be wrong, else why would they have different model numbers, but I'm just reporting what I was told. I returned the phone anyway, and now have the long wait for a proper AT&T model.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I returned my iP6s+128 T-Mobile version this morning. The Apple sales chick said they had a conference call this morning where staff was informed that Apple will be updating its website shortly to reflect that *all* 6s and 6s+ iPhones receive Band 30. I think she must be wrong, else why would they have different model numbers, but I'm just reporting what I was told. I returned the phone anyway, and now have the long wait for a proper AT&T model.
FCC says only the A1633/4 have band 30, so that's what I'd go with

Reactions: Aston441

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
FCC says only the A1633/4 have band 30, so that's what I'd go with

Yes that's what I went with. I'm sad I don't have my giant iPhone anymore though. I hope supply picks up quickly. There is not a single at&t 6s+ for sale in my entire state.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005

I could only see this happening if they were to slowly drop the non-band 30 phone for the AT&T version for all. If they are committed to the internals, they could switch just the U.S. market to the AT&T version.

Otherwise, I guess it would just be something they made up or they confused Band 30 for something else that was going to be corrected on the website.

I still don't know how important Band 30 will be. I think a major factor will be getting millions of iPhones out there that support band 30. If most AT&T customers who use iPhone support Band 30, if you as a 1 in 1000 individual were using a non-band 30 phone, wouldn't you perhaps benefit too, since most customers are able to automatically move to band 30 in those dense areas, freeing up the bands you can receive a bit?

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I could only see this happening if they were to slowly drop the non-band 30 phone for the AT&T version for all. If they are committed to the internals, they could switch just the U.S. market to the AT&T version.

Otherwise, I guess it would just be something they made up or they confused Band 30 for something else that was going to be corrected on the website.

I still don't know how important Band 30 will be. I think a major factor will be getting millions of iPhones out there that support band 30. If most AT&T customers who use iPhone support Band 30, if you as a 1 in 1000 individual were using a non-band 30 phone, wouldn't you perhaps benefit too, since most customers are able to automatically move to band 30 in those dense areas, freeing up the bands you can receive a bit?

I see what you're saying, but I think it would probably be about as useful as turning off LTE sometimes in congested areas. Sometimes it works, most of the time it is the same or worse.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.