Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I had my iPad pro do this around the volume switches within a couple weeks inside the apple silicone case.

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
I had my iPad pro do this around the volume switches within a couple weeks inside the apple silicone case.

Now that's weird. I would assume the iPad Pro is sticking with 6000 series aluminium because it was never mentioned in any of their marketing literature that it was using 7000 series. In any case, with the size of the rear casing, manufacturing it in 7000 series will literally cost a bomb.

And my previous iPhone 6 Plus with 6000 series aluminium didn't have this issue.

PlacebopT

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2016
Portugal
Ok, I'm new here but I finally found people suffering from the same problem I am.
My iPhone is getting worse each day, I'm leaving here a link all the photos I just took, it all began near the camera and I always used an Apple leather case, bought with the phone and covering it since day 1.

I also live in a country without any oficial Apple store (Portugal) so I guess all I can do is call them and tell them about my phone. Of course that it will be hard to believe and even imagine without seeing the actual photos. Since I can't even find an email to send pictures of what my phone looks like I am really worried that I will have to keep a phone with 4 months that looks like 4 years old.

njg94hm2rVfssCgro_QHHkQv32BQuqZMmMiw5zsBPrFeutxxh3PnjVx3wusaXFDlrD4TzKCIHn54j_VHcANw_GYFZ3-d_pslhaPH5uEq4Yq0_sZio9NTeH_O8iy77t5csy4e81lgzXCBXUnbo-DCd6JbglDcYhk3dFkUbXW63JsSl5kfwawUQ9fR2_JRIg1CJyCth9dmbE9LwyOv6zW3NjKYlPNTp2z9KeHJR7DYAb8BxQAz9BjGYh_OizSXTaTrAYaWQ9A3fi67aNxiUZ3AOHLr6Usdd9u3xb2JP5M9cZzW0w7_5WXUXYs25_WN9gSWv3hk7UzbDM2sJKeoCFXa0S5CU56yWm-No7EK6hNttEraqAxNxckrFYal9N0VrzFVBhm-YVxnMOvHv845m-e23JrS8h51TpZWySylFslq7vNRtxkRcI6WkQehvWLTXxQ-Dv82abPje3WVGHbn6UUVIkTdLLpfJIRx1WuSd0Xp2z0DzLe4bcUxZh83kLbI6L_SnO_i9Y_NwFlxqt0n1-FztMU9FIlxLpR_I4OIzFy9umKW3xB3XizKU6TczrUQlrUIG4Xy-A=w2076-h1384-no

MRZrHU6UhL2Ql4I8iBJJmONs6vyBddLtSEoW8r4X4UDUa7iz4-i95B2wtLX2f0ZAplK7Zk_mutYNptf1dCbq9fBc9E346dzY4bzm01UQlWLwEJK1_yXoqYNY03grPZdmjzTB5yGd_rAYgXgMD05jB23axFiKW5GnnjDI7HiQSUZW8Hcj_6iJfIAy0TohyISU_tXYT93BYdxyLrlxsGorSXCSh4R7Na2P_THlqnfVPRriNFH7-aXp-iEFG9oumlxdVkYsu4VK3yaLMK-lwwd0Vz_l9hPirbPFJXhBHlRDCo09LoSDI6QHEgIi72XVEuG6MuI63qnpXsTbPW9vchKX4C9cqo2Fu455SwZArqlXPln-nvWQMn1mydC3p-srWMgcwWw035CvtQ17L5CvZLstv504av17pQAZxOYnR7BI6JRlk6zyktpUfrmw6-avyi6j7tgR6TYrkBx-p-ircfFkxeYFPV2NcZhjsG1hetAUDqOTCEa_UuanYGahjYTvsDtD07lY1a9gmjM5oifPFvS9u7kLQDlY0hRDw_jKL_XViUJQw2FDYwgkriviUEBEoAGo5YgQlA=w2076-h1384-no

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I am starting to see some chip/corrosion on my Space Grey iPhone 6s Plus. Do you think I can still exchange it in the Apple Store? I got my iPhone since November 2015.
Sure you can still exchange it, but they will hand you the replacement unit that comes in a white box with just a unit since you are still within warranty. You probably won't get the brand new one that is in the retail box.

akosipops

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
as of now they have approved of my replacement. I reside in Singapore and it isn't easy to get in touch with Apple over here as we have no official Apple Store with a Genius Bar. Took me 2 hours of phone calls plus 2 emails in fact.

Hey, I have the same issue and a lot other people too. I think it only happens to Rose Gold units since most complaints are from Rose Gold users.

I am outside US (Philippines) so no official Apple stores here too. I want to know who you contacted and where to email, I'd like to pursue this for a replacement as well. The scratches are definitely manufacturing error! Did not spend a fortune for a faulty phone, this is not what I paid for :(

emxeeh

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
Philippines
Aluminium on my 6s Plus has been chipping on its own especially at the edges. It's appearing at the bottom of my phone all along the antenna band and now it's appearing at the top. It's also appearing around my pentalobe screw holes, lightning port and headphone jack.

I seriously think it's a manufacturing issue. Some problem with the 7000 series aluminium that's causing the edges of the aluminium to be very very easily chipped. I used my phone with a cover since Day 1 and yet this happened. I used my 6 Plus pretty much naked for the whole year and yet it hasn't chipped even though it has softer 6000 series aluminium.

Do any of you have this issue?
I am having the same problem :(

cassiebianx

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
Hey, I have the same issue and a lot other people too. I think it only happens to Rose Gold units since most complaints are from Rose Gold users.

I am outside US (Philippines) so no official Apple stores here too. I want to know who you contacted and where to email, I'd like to pursue this for a replacement as well. The scratches are definitely manufacturing error! Did not spend a fortune for a faulty phone, this is not what I paid for :(

I'm having the same problem with my Iphone 6s rose gold. I got my iphone protected since day 1 and after a week I noticed the chipping and it's getting worst. My friends have 6s Space Grey and Gold Iphones but I'm the only one who had experienced this issue knowing that I'm the most careful user among us. I'm from PH as well, this is frustrating.

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
I'm having the same problem with my Iphone 6s rose gold. I got my iphone protected since day 1 and after a week I noticed the chipping and it's getting worst. My friends have 6s Space Grey and Gold Iphones but I'm the only one who had experienced this issue knowing that I'm the most careful user among us. I'm from PH as well, this is frustrating.

We need to find a way to get Apple's attention.

Krishanth Vythilingam

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
Owning a rose gold 6s and I'm suffering very similar issues.
I think its a very severe issue, as my cousins who own the 6s series phones too are suffering similar problems.
These marks are like a salt growth you see on vehicle rims.
Will attach photos when I can.

P.S : I use a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case from day 1 and a tempered glass screen protector. A very careful user.
P.P.S : The marks have appeared in the areas which are perfectly covered by the case. Eg. just below the sim tray.

Last edited:

akosipops

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2016
I
I went to Power Mac na, seems they're not familiar with the issue :( wala naman sila magawa!

powerbook911

macrumors 601
Mar 15, 2005
I'm having the same problem with a space grey unit. It's not rose gold only.

View attachment 618432
View attachment 618434
View attachment 618435

This is disappointing without question, so sorry this happened to your phone. Mine is very new so it hasn't happened yet, but I fear it may.

I always take very good care of my Apple products, so it is so disappointing that this is happening all on its own.

I suppose, there isn't a lot we can do as they likely claim it's wear and tear. We might be successful at getting it replaced once, but it could come back?

Good luck! If you do get them to replace it, I hope your next one has zero problems.

Quicklite

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
Owning a rose gold 6s and I'm suffering very similar issues.
I think its a very severe issue, as my cousins who own the 6s series phones too are suffering similar problems.
These marks are like a salt growth you see on vehicle rims.
Will attach photos when I can.

P.S : I use a Spigen Ultra Hybrid case from day 1 and a tempered glass screen protector. A very careful user.
P.P.S : The marks have appeared in the areas which are perfectly covered by the case. Eg. just below the sim tray.

I imagine what caused it might have been tiny dusts/sand that managed to get in between the case / phone? Other than getting a silver model (less easy to notice) - this happens on non-Apple phone too.

Krishanth Vythilingam

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
I imagine what caused it might have been tiny dusts/sand that managed to get in between the case / phone? Other than getting a silver model (less easy to notice) - this happens on non-Apple phone too.

It's not like a scrape of some sort, but something like a growth on the aluminum(shaped like a root). Very similar to the ones you might see in old alloy wheels.

Oh btw, I own a rose gold and my cousins use silver, so....

Last edited:

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Maybe I'm just not seeing the issue, but aluminum isn't supposed to be scratch proof. It will definitely scratch over time.....it's possible putting it in a case and rubbing it against dust or whatnot will cause problems.

PlacebopT

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2016
Portugal
I had exactly 0 problems with my previous iPhone 6 and used the exact same case materials to protect him.
My 4 months old 6S+ is full of little marks as you can see on my previous posts. And now it's even starting to lose some tint on one corner.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Looks like an anodizing problem. Maybe a bad batch. My 1st gen iPhone and my 12" Powerbook did that when it came in contact with sweat and looked like it had been through a war. Personally I think it looks awesome :-D

PlacebopT

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2016
Portugal
I really don't care that much for my personal use. My problem is the next owner. It will matter once I start thinking about selling the phone in order to buy a new one.
Of course it works just fine, but no one will pay as much as if it was looking as new (without any of this marks).

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
I really don't care that much for my personal use. My problem is the next owner. It will matter once I start thinking about selling the phone in order to buy a new one.
Of course it works just fine, but no one will pay as much as if it was looking as new (without any of this marks).

That is exactly what I told the apple rep over the phone. Why should a consumer like me pay the consequences of a possibly lower resale value because of their manufacturing problem? But he doesn't seem to get the point.

Reactions: trifid

baluotelli

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2016
That is exactly what I told the apple rep over the phone. Why should a consumer like me pay the consequences of a possibly lower resale value because of their manufacturing problem? But he doesn't seem to get the point.

Hey friend, my iphone 6s gold has been doing the same, inside a cover. Never dropped or put it together with any abrasive items before. Now the zinc layer has FALLEN OFF and the silver of the aluminum underneath can be seen.

Have you had any luck with Apple? if so how did you manage to convince them to change your set for you?

Much appreciated!

PlacebopT

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2016
Portugal

He gets the point, they just don't care.

Habenel

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2016
Aluminium on my 6s Plus has been chipping on its own especially at the edges. It's appearing at the bottom of my phone all along the antenna band and now it's appearing at the top. It's also appearing around my pentalobe screw holes, lightning port and headphone jack.

I seriously think it's a manufacturing issue. Some problem with the 7000 series aluminium that's causing the edges of the aluminium to be very very easily chipped. I used my phone with a cover since Day 1 and yet this happened. I used my 6 Plus pretty much naked for the whole year and yet it hasn't chipped even though it has softer 6000 series aluminium.

Do any of you have this issue?
Hey just wanted to report that this too is also happening to my iPhone 6s plus Silver 64GB if that helps. The same chipping is occurring even though I have had it in an Apple Branded case since day one, and it is occurring in the same spots too, so no you are not on your own in this problem.

emxeeh

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
Philippines
Hey just wanted to report that this too is also happening to my iPhone 6s plus Silver 64GB if that helps. The same chipping is occurring even though I have had it in an Apple Branded case since day one, and it is occurring in the same spots too, so no you are not on your own in this problem.
Have you reached out to an Apple Store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.