Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

avebl

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2016
I was browsing through a local forum of apple users when I saw a comment about this issue. Decided to google "iphone 6s plus paint chipping off" and I stumbled upon this thread.

Unfortunately, I am also encountering the same issue with my 6s plus space gray phone. I was cleanig my phone when I saw there's a tiny chipped off part at the lower left corner of the lowest antenna. I also noticed it happening at the bottom. :(

I did not contact apple when I stumbled upon it, because who would believe that it was not Caused by misuse even if I know I handled my phone carefully.

I hope they find a solution or they allow an exchange... Because based on some photos the chipping off can eventually get worse :(

AnJie x

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2015
I bought this iPhone 6S Plus, November 2015. I have been using a back cover since day 01 so there no chance of me scratching the phone. The aluminum have been chipping off in various place including the areas near the sim tray, near the camera and the flash. I guess this is some kind of manufacturing defect. I'm still under the 1 year warranty period so would they do a replacement?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 2,917

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
7000 series aluminum has more zinc which can cause problems during anodizing. Anodizing isn't paint. It's done by passing electrical current through the metal while placed in a chemical bath. The current causes oxidation and the anodizing grows on the surface similar to rust. If too much current is applied too quickly then the zinc in the metal can start to oxidize before the aluminum and the oxidized zinc gets stuck between the aluminum substrate and the outer anodized layer. Over time the zinc continues to oxidize and eventually reveals itself through the anodized layer.

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/pitting-on-7000-series-al-alloy

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
7000 series aluminum has more zinc which can cause problems during anodizing. Anodizing isn't paint. It's done by passing electrical current through the metal while placed in a chemical bath. The current causes oxidation and the anodizing grows on the surface similar to rust. If too much current is applied too quickly then the zinc in the metal can start to oxidize before the aluminum and the oxidized zinc gets stuck between the aluminum substrate and the outer anodized layer. Over time the zinc continues to oxidize and eventually reveals itself through the anodized layer.

http://www.pfonline.com/articles/pitting-on-7000-series-al-alloy

Bingo, you got it. A while back I tried to mention potential anodizing issues, but this goes beyond the technical understanding of most on here. Simply not part of common knowledge, so no offense meant.

Great find on the article. I suspect that with need for high production numbers to meet delivery, there are batches of cases rushed out the door from anodizing facilities. Seems quite likely that the ramp up process to help insure proper adhesion to higher zinc based aluminum alloy is not always taking place.

What is sad, that Apple isn't fessing up to this issue and replacing where it is found. From the pictures and locations of the pitting it is most prevalent at edges of machined surfaces. Which makes sense as 270 degrees of a edge are unsupported.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
As I previously said.
I had an iPhone 6 with an Apple Leather Case and I cleaned it as much as I cleaned this one.
The iPhone 6 after 1 year looked like it just came out of the box.
It's not about my usage, this is some problem with it's paint.
I bought 2 iPhone's 6S Plus Space Gray + 2 Apple Leather Cases.
Mine is the one on the photos, the other one went to my uncle. His phone has no problem at all.
Now, if we both have the same exact model and use the same exact case model. Why is my phone in such bad shape and his phone is as new as when he took it out of the box for the first time?
I believe you. My iPhone 6 Plus does not have this problem. I just checked and there's a small area of surface degradation on my 6S Plus which has been treated to the same conditions as my iPhone 6 Plus. I have had a Spigen case on it but didn't notice any problems. I have had it in an Apple silicon case the past few weeks.

Edit, update/correction: whatever that "scuff" was, it came off with a good scrub with soap, water and rough textured washcloth. It didn't come off with a dry polishing cloth, which is why I thought it was a permanent defect.

Last edited:

paulschofield76

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2016
Hi. Does anyone think this counts as chipping? It's really difficult to see in some angles and I'm not quite sure.
One picture shows what I mean. The other picture shows how it's only visible at certain angles
9244b706a912555ee13fde5df4808e16.jpg
c7c40d84807bbf5d002283643c81774e.jpg

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hi. Does anyone think this counts as chipping? It's really difficult to see in some angles and I'm not quite sure.
One picture shows what I mean. The other picture shows how it's only visible at certain angles
I'm sorry, but I can't see what you're referring to. Either the photo is of too poor quality, it's your imagination, or both.

Last edited:

ai4281

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
scuffback1.png

Thought I'd share a photo of my rose gold 6s here as well.

Never been dropped, and no case since day 1. All of my previous iPhones look great after years of use, but the 6s looks like it's been through hell in just 6 months.

Reactions: willmtaylor

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
View attachment 624015

Thought I'd share a photo of my rose gold 6s here as well.

Never been dropped, and no case since day 1. All of my previous iPhones look great after years of use, but the 6s looks like it's been through hell in just 6 months.

Hi5. Or should it be a low5? That's EXACTLY why I have on my phone. And the AASP simply do not want to exchange because it's "cosmetic defects". This is obviously a fundamental problem with the 7000 series aluminium that's used.

It's so bad that certain areas the anodized layer just come off and reveal the silver aluminium beneath. Last I've heard, the anodized layer is pretty hardy and shouldn't even peel off even if there's dust trapped between the phone and the cover. I know because my previous 6 Plus wasn't exactly a babied phone but this did not happen.
[doublepost=1459359748][/doublepost]
Bingo, you got it. A while back I tried to mention potential anodizing issues, but this goes beyond the technical understanding of most on here. Simply not part of common knowledge, so no offense meant.

Great find on the article. I suspect that with need for high production numbers to meet delivery, there are batches of cases rushed out the door from anodizing facilities. Seems quite likely that the ramp up process to help insure proper adhesion to higher zinc based aluminum alloy is not always taking place.

What is sad, that Apple isn't fessing up to this issue and replacing where it is found. From the pictures and locations of the pitting it is most prevalent at edges of machined surfaces. Which makes sense as 270 degrees of a edge are unsupported.

Yes I remembered you and your really in depth explanation of what might be the cause. Sadly, as you mentjon, Apple is trying to keep mum about it. Because if they admit, I'm sure they have millions of 6ses waiting to be exchanged.

Corgirat

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2016
Hi5. Or should it be a low5? That's EXACTLY why I have on my phone. And the AASP simply do not want to exchange because it's "cosmetic defects". This is obviously a fundamental problem with the 7000 series aluminium that's used.

It's so bad that certain areas the anodized layer just come off and reveal the silver aluminium beneath. Last I've heard, the anodized layer is pretty hardy and shouldn't even peel off even if there's dust trapped between the phone and the cover. I know because my previous 6 Plus wasn't exactly a babied phone but this did not happen.
[doublepost=1459359748][/doublepost]

Yes I remembered you and your really in depth explanation of what might be the cause. Sadly, as you mentjon, Apple is trying to keep mum about it. Because if they admit, I'm sure they have millions of 6ses waiting to be exchanged.
But some of us paid $1000 for the phone so we don't expect this to be happening after only a few months. Apple should find out which batch was affected at least. We should really stand up and speak out for Apple to take action guys.
[doublepost=1459362423][/doublepost]Please let me know if any of you started a thread on Apple forum that I can follow
[doublepost=1459362553][/doublepost]Here is a link that could help
http://www.apple.com/feedback/

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
England
How common is this?

And does this appear to be an early batch issue, i.e. September > November, or is this issue appearing in newer phones?

Last edited:

gewawd

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2013
Asia
Hi! I'm from Philippines and tried to reach out to an authorized service center here (we have no official apple store as well). Mine was denied also when I was asking to make a swap. My 6s rose gold unit has these same issues. My unit is now 6weeks old and the "chipping" is getting worse. I believe this is a production defect but they said that this is a "cosmetic issue" and the warranty does not cover it. As far as I know, Apple will not cover it unless it was due to a manufacturing defect. They said I need to contact Apple to raise my issues so they gave me a toll free number. This is frustrating since i never dropped my phone at it has a spigen case also. Will try also to post pictures soon!

Which service provider did you reach out? Also, any update with your call from Apple?

PaladinGuy

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
I'd be/will be very upset if my iPhone 6S starts doing this at all. It's clearly a problem with how these phones were manufactured (at least some of them). You couldn't possibly do this through user abuse. The patterns and locations of the chipping, from what I've seen in all these pictures, is something that is happening by defect.

Apple better take the honest route and start allowing replacements for people experiencing this or I'd think this would be a very legitimate class action suite.

Siobhan98

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2016
my silver iPhone has a speck of dust under the camera but it doesn't effect it, every apple product I have ever owned will have a chip on it after about a week, its annoying because they charge so much for these phones and you'd think they'd make them more durable when not using a case, when its in my handbag i dread to think of the amount of scratches its getting but I never bought my phone to have in a case, so i just don't worry about the speck of dust under my camera and the chips on the back of my iPhone because I know if I get a new one it will be exactly the same as the last one i had.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
England
On my lunch break I went to the Apple Store to check out their display models.

The majority didn't have this issue. The only ones that did were the rose gold ones, and a space grey S Plus, and it was only on the base near the charging port. One rose gold one was pretty bad though, it was basically silver underneath.

The rest were fine. I checked out another phone shop too and the display S's and S Plus' were all fine. No corroding or chipping.

Seems strange? Not sure it's an issue with the anodising in general or just on certain batches. Has this problem showed up on newly purchased models too?

Corgirat

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2016
I had original rose gold 6s plus in September that had whole bunch of scratch marks where you put charger in. Sometimes you miss the hole so that's where the scratches were coming from. I found it very strange because that never happened to my 5s. I exchanged the phone in January from "hairgate" issue, yes it was happening with 6s plus. Left side where volume and vibration buttons are. The gap was noticeable by Apple guy at the store. They gave me a "new" phone in white box without accessories and it's been 3months again but I don't have any scratches on this one with same use.
[doublepost=1459786182][/doublepost]
I'd be/will be very upset if my iPhone 6S starts doing this at all. It's clearly a problem with how these phones were manufactured (at least some of them). You couldn't possibly do this through user abuse. The patterns and locations of the chipping, from what I've seen in all these pictures, is something that is happening by defect.

Apple better take the honest route and start allowing replacements for people experiencing this or I'd think this would be a very legitimate class action suite.
I agree with the class action lawsuit. Some of us choose to use cases to keep our phones in new condition scarifying the look and feel of iPhone we could be enjoying using naked. So for those the phone should stay looking brand new instead of being scratched up in a case. Otherwise why does Apple even offer any case? What for? And guess what, some people using their iPhones naked might not be experiencing this and you are just unlucky because of some bad batch and even putting case on or charger in is scratching up your phone?
That is unfair for this expensive phone..

alleggerita

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Singapore
Just a quick update, and to all fellow Singaporeans here. I manage to get a replacement for my 2nd unit. I called Apple Singapore directly and the senior product advisor there gave me the exception and asked me to go down to QCD@WL to get my replacement so that they can take in my unit for further inspection.

So for any Singaporeans here with this issue, please try your luck and call Apple Singapore directly.

Reactions: willmtaylor

Corgirat

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2016
Just a quick update, and to all fellow Singaporeans here. I manage to get a replacement for my 2nd unit. I called Apple Singapore directly and the senior product advisor there gave me the exception and asked me to go down to QCD@WL to get my replacement so that they can take in my unit for further inspection.

So for any Singaporeans here with this issue, please try your luck and call Apple Singapore directly.
That's a great news! If you don't have the issue with the replacement then we know it was a bad batch. It's not happening with my replacement.

Siobhan98

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2016
can anyone tell me if I should be worried about a scatch on my iPhones screen and the most tiniest speck of dust underneath the camera lens?
[doublepost=1459891812][/doublepost]

Id say take it back, thats not normal. Is it under warranty?

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
How common is this?

And does this appear to be an early batch issue, i.e. September > November, or is this issue appearing in newer phones?

I believe I got my phone in December (maybe later Nov), and I am just starting to show the same wear.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
What model and what colour?

6S Plus Space Gray 64 Gb Unlocked sim free. Purchased around la ca.

It is very minor. A few marks around the lightening port. And especially surrounding the screws like so many others experience.

I just noticed it a week or two ago. It was fine for at least a few months.

I am absolutely positive I did not scratch it inadvertently. The chipping around the screw is dispositive as I could not have reached that area.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2011
England
Oh man that sucks.

My 6S is coming tomorrow. Am I right in thinking his issue is happening to mainly Plus models, and rose gold models?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.