Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
Trying to setup my new iPhone and it is stuck at restoring my iCloud backup at the time remaining: estimating part.

I turned it off and back on, disabled Find my IPhone on the old phone, but it is still hanging there. Been about 45 minutes or so now.

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue or if it is just that a lot of people are restoring their phones and the servers are just overloaded or something.

Thanks!

Fiestaman

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2009
Trying to setup my new iPhone and it is stuck at restoring my iCloud backup at the time remaining: estimating part.

I turned it off and back on, disabled Find my IPhone on the old phone, but it is still hanging there. Been about 45 minutes or so now.

Just wondering if anyone else had this issue or if it is just that a lot of people are restoring their phones and the servers are just overloaded or something.

Thanks!

Sorry for the old thread revival, but what did you do to get this working? I have tried turning it off and on, resetting it, restoring the phone again several time, but it keeps getting stuck at time remaining: estimating. I did a backup of 9.1 then restored the same phone to 9.1, so I can't see any version issues.

Edit: Nvm. It was the white screen of death leading to missing messages and health data. Had to revert to an iTunes backup.

Last edited:

simplyj3sse

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2015
Georgia
Ok. . . I literally just opened this thread and read the responses. Upon finishing this, I looked down to see that it had actually moved. This is insane! Someone should seriously sticky this or something!! HAHA!

Reactions: epinosa_sassyz

mphippen

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2016
The spooky magic isn't working for me. I've tried several times to restore from iCloud and each time it gets to about Time remaining: About 33 minutes, then stops at that and eventually the time remaining starts going up, not down. Left it overnight last night and it just ended up further back then when I went to bed. Tried about 6 times overall now, last two times choosing a previous backup point. Same every time....

electrontopia

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2016
Los Angeles, California
So I'm restoring my iPhone 6s Plus from iCloud backup. But it's stuck on the "Time remaining: estimating" screen. I decided to leave my phone at home and go to Costco. An hour later going back home, it's still stuck like only 3% of the blue bar. I SEARCHED THIS UP ON GOOGLE AND STUMBLED UPON THIS FORUM... It's now working! The bar is moving fast.

WHAT THE HECK?! HOW!? Is this thread MAGICAL??? :eek::eek::eek:
HAHA thank you for posting!

max8987

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2016
Okay I think I figued it out. You have to read through the whole thread.

It wasn't working for me, but after I read through most of the thread, it started saying "12 minutes remaining" (yeah i have fast internet)

Thanks for this thread, keep the magic alive!

(remember! You have to read the ENTIRE thread)

Tarsoxjr

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
Hoping to revive a little of the magic...stuck at "Time remaining estimating..." I've read the entire thread and now hoping posting does the trick...okay standing on one leg now...nothing???

pallysam

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2016
I'm amazed. I froze and restarted several times. It's been hours since my first attempt. I read some threads, came across this one. Was surprised at everyone saying that simply reading this threat made the bar move along. Well I read this all the way through then I did a final reset and it worked. I'm utterly amazed.

daudi81

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2013
Count me in as another magical "read thread then phone starts working" person. It was stuck for like 30 minutes with the "estimating..." message. Found this thread via Google, started reading and boom, the time remaining is now updating and going down. I have a feeling it has something to do with the fact that we're using the internet and somehow wakes up the little wireless fairies in the router to keep working. At least that's the story I'm going with....

Kwf225

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
Okay this is just weird at this point. I am an Apple iOS Advisor and a customer had tried EVERYTHING.

He had been on the phone with Verizon for hours trying to get it fixed.
I went through my resources and couldn't find anything immediate so I caved in a Googled it.

I was giving this a glance and saw what was happening for others and thought.. "Why not".

I put the customer on hold and quickly read this post in its entirety out loud in my head.

Then I went back to him and had him restart his device and try yet another time. And BOOM the time came up and restore was initiated.

I don't know if the rest of you were kidding but this ACTUALLY worked lol closest thing to magic I've seen!

P.S I made this account when I got off, JUST to post this lol

livinglife24

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2016
I am trying to restore my phone and it is stuck on time estimating any suggstions on how to get past that
[doublepost=1459611179][/doublepost]i read the whole forum and my phone said 1 minute left wow:D:D

Cathy25

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2016
This is pure magic!

I tried all evening to restore my iCloud backup to no avail. It would get stuck at "...estimated time remaining...". At one point I even got an error message saying "Unable to Restore". I got stuck again this morning, so Googled and came across this thread this morning. A few minutes after I finished reading the thread out of curiosity, the screen changed to say "... 7 minutes remaining", and shortly it became "...1 minute..".

Now the phone is up and running with everything restored.

emilysmithxo

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2010
I. do. not. believe. it.

I was erasing and restoring my phone after having it unlocked with my provider, and I have been having problems for FOUR frustrating hours. Multiple times it had an error pop up telling me it could not restore from iCloud backup, the verification codes would not send to my phone, and I was about ready to throw it through a window. I googled what to do as my final try, and I came upon this thread. Against my better judgement, because I usually do not believe this stuff, and I had nothing better to do, I read every single word of the thread. Not expecting to see anything, I looked down, and no word of a lie, it says 43 minutes. 43 minutes is better than it being stuck at "estimating" forever. Say a little prayer for my phone to the Apple Gods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.