Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyRotten

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2016
Toronto, Canada
My wife's 6s, which is only 1 year old, started having the same shutting off at sometimes 50% issue.
We made an appointment at the Genius Bar and took it in yesterday.
After the Apple employee ran some quick tests, he slipped into the back room for a few minutes. When he returned he told us that he was going to replace her phone. We didn't get a real explanation of why (and he spoke so quickly that I didn't really catch what he was saying). He just said that Apple says to replace the phone for this type of problem.
I'm thinking that this is a known problem that Apple is having on some of their phones so they are just replacing them.
The guy wasn't sharing any information with us even after I asked so I'm guessing they want to keep things quiet and just replace the problem phones and move on.

Reactions: 844957

Domen151

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2014
Hm this just happened on my iPhone 6s Plus, it shut down at about 20%. This happened twice this month. And when I plug it in, it turns on immediately and the battery is at the similar level as it was when it had turned off. Hopefully this is a software issue, because I am out of warranty and I would be pissed if I had to pay for battery replacement after only one year. There are no Apple Stores in my country, and I doubt those authorised resellers would just replace my phone...

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
DOUGHNUT, were you able to solve your problem at the genius bar? I have the same issue and they told me I need to do restore the system as if new. I wonder if that worked for you?

thanks for your response!

---

I did that and didn't solve the issue.

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
My wife's 6s, which is only 1 year old, started having the same shutting off at sometimes 50% issue.
After the Apple employee ran some quick tests, he slipped into the back room for a few minutes. When he returned he told us that he was going to replace her phone. We didn't get a real explanation of why (and he spoke so quickly that I didn't really catch what he was saying). He just said that Apple says to replace the phone for this type of problem.
I'm thinking that this is a known problem that Apple is having on some of their phones so they are just replacing them.
The guy wasn't sharing any information with us even after I asked so I'm guessing they want to keep things quiet and just replace the problem phones and move on.

Yeah, they act in this way. Once, my friend was with a problem in his iPhone and he already brought an already prepared story if he had to take an argument with the employee but Apple acted like you said. He obtained his replacement without a word.

lorberto

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2016
Had same issue as OP

I tolerate this for a few months but then ran into the issue of backing up the phone onto iCloud. Can't do it. Went into the Apple Store. Turns out the software is corrupt and I had to do a manual factory reset or swap it.
Hth

Wait, I had the same issue with my icloud back up this morning!! (while trying to restore the phone for fixing the battery problem with no success) What was your problem with iCloud? Mine just couldn't get to the finish of the back up uploading process, showing the process loading for hours, without any message. Than you for your answer.
[doublepost=1477919574][/doublepost]
I believe the only way to resolve it is trying a change in Apple if it's still in warranty time. If don't, try changing the battery.
Mine is under warranty until december...So what can i say to the genius for having it changed?
Also can I ask you if the one they give me is in intact conditions? And i have a 20$ glass film on the screen, im going to lose it? :(

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Wait, I had the same issue with my icloud back up this morning!! (while trying to restore the phone for fixing the battery problem with no success) What was your problem with iCloud? Mine just couldn't get to the finish of the back up uploading process, showing the process loading for hours, without any message. Than you for your answer.
Mine is under warranty until december...So what can i say to the genius for having it changed?
Also can I ask you if the one they give me is in intact conditions? And i have a 20$ glass film on the screen, im going to lose it? :(

You're not gonna have to explain anything special, just the true. And you'll have a replacement without having problems. You'll see.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015

You said the phone was 1 year old. Was it still covered by warranty or did you purchase AppleCare?

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
You said the phone was 1 year old. Was it still covered by warranty or did you purchase AppleCare?

In EU the warranty time is for two years without having to pay Apple care service. Anyhow, I dont know the case of this guy.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
They said because the software is corrupt that that's why I couldn't do a cloud backup.

I lost all the data except photos I threw up on iCloud. Wish I'd remember the notes and screen shot some of the iMessages.

lorberto

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2016
They said because the software is corrupt that that's why I couldn't do a cloud backup.

I lost all the data except photos I threw up on iCloud. Wish I'd remember the notes and screen shot some of the iMessages.
Ugh, thats bad. But how you couldn't do the back up? The phone showed some message error while trying? Or just the backup process couldn't get to the end?
[doublepost=1477924308][/doublepost]
You're not gonna have to explain anything special, just the true. And you'll have a replacement without having problems. You'll see.
Thanks Ruja! Do you know if the apple store gives you back the glass film on the old phone before changing it?

Anyway in Italy warranty is only one year, sadly.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
In EU the warranty time is for two years without having to pay Apple care service. Anyhow, I dont know the case of this guy.

Sure Ruja, for you it's hunky-dory. By the way, you mentioned that you were getting a replacement this weekend. Do you have a new phone now and is it behaving well?

Ugh, thats bad. But how you couldn't do the back up? The phone showed some message error while trying? Or just the backup process couldn't get to the end?
Thanks Ruja! Do you know if the apple store gives you back the glass film on the old phone before changing it?

Italy is in the EU, so it should be two years as well, just like Ruja said.

And my phone has done it again just now, this time at 37%. This time I waited to get home and recorded the turn-on procedure (with subsequent immediate shutdown) to build my case.

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Sure Ruja, for you it's hunky-dory. By the way, you mentioned that you were getting a replacement this weekend. Do you have a new phone now and is it behaving well?

Italy is in the EU, so it should be two years as well, just like Ruja said.

And my phone has done it again just now, this time at 37%. This time I waited to get home and recorded the turn-on procedure (with subsequent immediate shutdown) to build my case.

Apple didn't have free appointments last weeks but next week so I already have mine for next Saturday at 10h. I'll explain my thoughts then.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

It just wouldn't let me back up. Anytime I tried it would automatically stop mid-way...

Sorry I couldn't be of more help...

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
We have AppleCare but the associate didn't mention if we were getting the replacement covered under warranty or because of the AppleCare.

I don't think they need to ask it. Just taking a look in their database with your imei is enough to knowing it.

Dobssi

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2016
So I took the phone out on the bike today, mounted on the handlebars, and it decided to shut down at 57%.

Good thing I had my portable charger as I was in the middle of nowhere and would not have known my way home.

It was about 11-12 degeees Celsius.

I guess I have to take it in to the Apple Store.

Reactions: unclemax and Ruja

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
We have AppleCare but the associate didn't mention if we were getting the replacement covered under warranty or because of the AppleCare.

I see. Hope the new phone is behaving well!

By the way, I thought it might be useful for people to demonstrate the issue to Apple Store employees etc so I uploaded a video that I took last time my phone shut down:

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
I see. Hope the new phone is behaving well!

By the way, I thought it might be useful for people to demonstrate the issue to Apple Store employees etc so I uploaded a video that I took last time my phone shut down:

That's exactly what to happen to my iPhone but with less battery (around 10-5%). Once the iPhone shuts down, the first time I try turning on the phone, the screen shows the cable conector but in the second try the iPhone turn on perfectly and remains the battery left %, although just for a moment or two.

PetrosMac

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2014
Genoa,Italy
That's exactly what to happen to my iPhone but with less battery (around 10-5%). Once the iPhone shuts down, the first time I try turning on the phone, the screen shows the cable conector but in the second try the iPhone turn on perfectly and remains the battery left %, although just for a moment or two.

Did you buy your phone directly from an Apple Store or from a third party seller?Cause for the second year of warranty in EU in theory the responsible is the seller.Of course if you bought it from an Apple Store the seller is directly the Apple.

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Did you buy your phone directly from an Apple Store or from a third party seller?Cause for the second year of warranty in EU in theory the responsible is the seller.Of course if you bought it from an Apple Store the seller is directly the Apple.

Yeah, I bought it the day when it released. I'm one of those crazy who always they've bought it the first day even waiting the night before on the shopping center hahaha.

PetrosMac

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2014
Genoa,Italy
Yeah, I bought it the day when it released. I'm one of those crazy who always they've bought it the first day even waiting the night before on the shopping center hahaha.

That's why you can do directly to the Apple Store for the second year of warranty.Instead for us that bought it from the carrier you have to send it to them and you have to wait for minimum 10 days.

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
That's why you can do directly to the Apple Store for the second year of warranty.Instead for us that bought it from the carrier you have to send it to them and you have to wait for minimum 10 days.

Yes, they (Apple) give me this option too but on one side I don't have a mobile replacement for waiting these days but on the other hand, I don't either want to drive to take a closer Apple Store from my house (6 hours round trip) so here I'm with an appointment for next Saturday and and an offer by selling the iPhone for 435€ on the table. What the dilemma!

I also have to say that the last week I received my Apple Watch Nike version and just one day using it, I've given it back to Apple because it didn't cover my expectations so at the end, here I'm really disappointed and frustrated with Apple.

PetrosMac

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2014
Genoa,Italy
Yes, they (Apple) give me this option too but on one side I don't have a mobile replacement for waiting these days but on the other hand, I don't either want to drive to take a closer Apple Store from my house (6 hours round trip) so here I'm with an appointment for next Saturday and and an offer by selling the iPhone for 435€ on the table. What the dilemma!

I also have to say that the last week I received my Apple Watch Nike version and just one day using it, I've given it back to Apple because it didn't cover my expectations so at the end, here I'm really disappointed and frustrated with Apple.

I can feel your disappointment, the whole thing with the battery is such a shame for a phone that they released just one year ago.I hope they release some kind of software fix if it's really a software problem, otherwise if its a battery fault then they should do a replacement for free.

Reactions: Ruja and unclemax

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
I can feel your disappointment, the whole thing with the battery is such a shame for a phone that they released just one year ago.I hope they release some kind of software fix if it's really a software problem, otherwise if its a battery fault then they should do a replacement for free.

Exactly. If it is a hardware issue they should just issue a recall for the affected phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.