Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
I'm totally agree with you two guys but I'm afraid Apple am not gonna say anything about that and if it was a software problem they had already done so the only way is to go there to get a replacement.

HaydenWI

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2016
Charlotte
Please excuse me if this was already mentioned, but have any of you replaced the battery and still had the issue remain?

I have the same issue on a 6 and am hoping a battery replacement will fix it.

churley15

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2016
I am also having this issue! No idea what to do with it! launch day iphone 6s with a samsung chip updating to 10.1.1 currently in hopes that it is software based issue. will back up once more then send a call to apple since i am 4 hours from nearest apple store.

Last edited:

Ruja

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2016
Please excuse me if this was already mentioned, but have any of you replaced the battery and still had the issue remain?

I've an appointment next Saturday in order to get a replacement iPhone or fixing the issue but I don't think you'd have the problem again unless the battery or whatever thing which causes the issue would happen again in the "new" iPhone or battery.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015

I've an appointment next Saturday in order to get a replacement iPhone or fixing the issue but I don't think you'd have the problem again unless the battery or whatever thing which causes the issue would happen again in the "new" iPhone or battery.

As far as I know battery replacement has not been tested yet. Especially given that iPhone 6s was the current model until recently, it usually got replaced. What was quite surprising, two people who got their phones replaced mentioned that replacements had the same issue, so one guy ended up replacing it again.

Dobssi

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2016
Had a call with Apple today and they say my 6S is just out of its one year warranty. I am in the U.K.

They are going to call back supposedly and go through a couple of suggested processes involving backing up and restoring although I could easily do that myself anyway.

I will not be impressed if I have to send it away to get it repaired at cost. In fact I may not bother. The days of the iPhone being ahead of the rest are long gone I can do pretty much everything I want to do on a different brand now.

zaxxon72

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
My girlfriend had this on her 5S, and now my 6S started doing it as well. Training the battery-indicator (full down, wait 4h, full charge, leave on charger for 4h) didn't help.

What fixed it for her a year ago, and what works for me right now, is rebuilding the phone via DFU mode and fresh install of the operating system. After that, do NOT use a backup, but set everything up like a new phone. All settings input manually. Only passwords from iCloud Keychain.

My phone would usually not survive until 16:00 with shutdown and dead at 25-30%. Today, it's 20:42 after heavier than usual use and 9% left.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
My girlfriend had this on her 5S, and now my 6S started doing it as well. Training the battery-indicator (full down, wait 4h, full charge, leave on charger for 4h) didn't help.

What fixed it for her a year ago, and what works for me right now, is rebuilding the phone via DFU mode and fresh install of the operating system. After that, do NOT use a backup, but set everything up like a new phone. All settings input manually. Only passwords from iCloud Keychain.

My phone would usually not survive until 16:00 with shutdown and dead at 25-30%. Today, it's 20:42 after heavier than usual use and 9% left.
This happened to me today on a trip to London. After it dies at 40% I could not switch the phone on again until I plugged it in. Really awkward as I had a ticket in the Wallet app. Have you had any incidents since you DFU mode and set up as new?

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015

You should wait for a couple of days and see. I’ve seen DFU restore being mentioned in this topic and they say it doesn’t help. Things like battery calibration, updating to iOS10.1 were also claimed to help, but the problem appeared again shortly after.

matthewadams

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
I did DFU to no avail. It certainly did something to battery management because I recall it stayed at 1% for 8 hours before it finally died (which is also as useless as having it die at 30%). But ultimately the problem described here came back.

petzocles

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2016
if this is hardware how can you explain that this started exact when upgraded to ios10. and actually that my wife has the same issue with her iphone5.

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
Hi guys, I am extremely unhappy.

I had some business downtown today and decided to use this opportunity to try the Apple Store with my problem.

First of all I want to mention good things. Remember, I’m in China, there are large concentrations of people in cities, and I think Apple manages their Stores pretty efficiently. I was a bit afraid that without a prior appointment I’d be told to schedule an appointment online, come in a week, take a walk, etc. In fact I had to join the queue, wait for some 15 minutes and was able to reserve an appointment in about two hours. Fair enough. The staff was very helpful, most of them could speak English. In fact everyone who was dealing with me could speak good English and the Genius even wrote up an after-visit summary in English. Guys were friendly and laid back, even though I am a foreigner. Just what I consider normal Apple Store experience :)

Now to the substance, which is actually pretty bad. I explained my problem to the Genius, showed him the video of how I’m trying to turn the phone on and then it immediately dies and displays the “plug in to charge” logo (see a YouTube link above), he did diagnostic tests, etc, they showed nothing.

Then I was presented with my options. The Genius could / would not tell me what the problem actually was. The battery diagnostic test showed 92%. He said that these “things would happen” to 5S, 6, 6S. If a phone was still covered by warranty it would be taken to “factory” for repairs where it would either be replaced by new, refurbished or a new logic board would be installed.

As an aside, he dismissed the rumor that only 6S with Samsung manufactured chips were experiencing such failures. He said both TSMC and Samsung chips showed up. Take it for what it’s worth.

I was told that since I am out of warranty (41 day) (and if you care, they seem to respect the Apple 1yr warranty even though my phone was purchased in the US) they would have to charge me for all repairs.

I could instruct them to change the battery. It would cost me $87 (prices were quoted in RMB and I convert to USD for your convenience). The Genius said that battery replacement is known to either work or not work in such situations and there is no telling in advance if it would. So he personally didn’t recommend doing that (also, my battery diagnostics showed 92% health).

By the way, he said the same thing about the DFU restore. He said sometimes it helped, sometimes it looked like it helped but the problem came back.

The other option would be for them to replace the logic board which is akin to replacing the whole phone. It would cost me $325.

The actual option he recommended was to trade it in for about under $300 and use this money towards buying the new iPhone. To be honest I found this advice quite ridiculous but more on that later. He said that in the US I might had had my iPhone replaced because they try to be more forthcoming to customers, but in China they had to adhere to warranty / out of warranty service policy.

Now comes the vent. Excuse me but what the actual hell? I did not drop my phone. I did not leave it to freeze nor leave it in the car on a hot day. I only use Apple chargers so I didn’t burn its insides with some crappy third party stuff. I didn’t drop it in the water.

As is clear from so many of us experiencing the same problem I was sold a defective phone. Now to fix what is Apple’s fault Apple wants to charge me basically half the price of the phone (either way it’s about that, either to replace the logic board or to trade in and buy iPhone 7). And I am talking about a device that cost me $749 sans the mother freaking tax. What? What?! I pay this much and then it stops working in a year and I have to pay half that again, just to keep using what I have already bought?

And it is exacerbated by the fact that the bulk of my problems started immediately after the iOS10 update (a one-time shutdown in March/April vs. every time these days). 41 days out of warranty. What is this, a thank-you for making the after launch sales statistics for Apple? This is bull jerky.

I buy Apple product for reliability. These are not empty fords for me now that I stay in China. I have to rely on my iPhone for transit information and translations, otherwise I cannot even read a bus schedule. I used to like listening to podcasts, now I’ve stopped doing that as I noticed that running Podcasts app at low battery may cause the phone to shut down. What am I now supposed to, feed my OCD even further and tether myself to a power bank?

Ugh…

Last edited:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I just did a full DFU restore using iTunes and set up as a new phone (obviously iCloud account for my contacts email etc). Downloaded all my apps again and set up the way I like it. Charged to 100% and rebooted. I'll post if I get any shutdowns.

lorberto

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2016
Hi guys, I am extremely unhappy.

Yeah this is actually so sad!
I want to confirm that the chip does not make a difference cos i have the TMSC one.

The situation is everyday worse here, although i did calibration, restore, etc! Also is so funny the fact that this problem is happening now on so many iphones 6S after the upgrade to ios10 and after that a lot of people had their warranty expired :/

Reactions: unclemax

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
Yeah this is actually so sad!
I want to confirm that the chip does not make a difference cos i have the TMSC one.

The situation is everyday worse here, although i did calibration, restore, etc! Also is so funny the fact that this problem is happening now on so many iphones 6S after the upgrade to ios10 and after that a lot of people had their warranty expired :/

Totally. Assume it's a factory defect. Then it shouldn't matter whether the iPhone was used for, say, 13 months or 2 months, yet people that bought it late now have time to see whether their devices are affected, whereas early adopters have to suffer.

An update on my case. I just had a conversation with Apple Support US (I can use my American number here) and it looks like things took a turn for the better. I described my situation (in plain language, no threats or demands, some lamentations) and got connected to a superior who issued an exception for my case to cover the necessary repairs cost. Apparently this exception is also valid in Apple Store China.

I'll post an update but I'm quite busy the next few days until Tuesday. But so far thank you Kyle and Marcelino!

Last edited:

Dobssi

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2016
I must agree this seems to be more common post 10.0. Which coincidently is when the warranty ran out.

:-(

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I must agree this seems to be more common post 10.0. Which coincidently is when the warranty ran out.

:-(
Things of this nature pop up more often after pretty much any major version update.

gazingdown

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
I've had the issue of shut downs when outside (8/15 degrees) and has happened at 20%, 40% and Monday just gone
57%!

Plug into charger for a few seconds stops it from shutting down again. OK if you have power to hand, not great if out on a 4/5 hour cycle like I was!!

Anyway, had a few AppleCare chats and did a load of resets, iTunes reset etc. but did not solve.

Check on battery indicates no battery health issue.

Chat tonight they said this is now a known issue and there will be a software update "very soon" that should solve this.....

Reactions: Dim08

Dobssi

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2016
I take the portable charger with me now when I cycle it's just not worth the ball ache of having no phone in the middle of nowhere. 21st century problems eh? ;-)

unclemax

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
I've had the issue of shut downs when outside (8/15 degrees) and has happened at 20%, 40% and Monday just gone
57%!

Plug into charger for a few seconds stops it from shutting down again. OK if you have power to hand, not great if out on a 4/5 hour cycle like I was!!

Anyway, had a few AppleCare chats and did a load of resets, iTunes reset etc. but did not solve.

Check on battery indicates no battery health issue.

Chat tonight they said this is now a known issue and there will be a software update "very soon" that should solve this.....

There is a post on page 3 of this topic to the same effect, but it was pre - iOS 10.1…

JemTheWire

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2012
Manchester (UK)
I have given up waiting for a fix from Apple and ,as I am out of warranty, have ordered a new iPhone 7+. O2 Recycle will give me £290 for this iPhone6s.

bstegink

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2016
Jacksonville, FL
Was just considering the same thing. If I pay off the remaining balance on my 6s and get the credit for trading in existing phone, it's a lower net loss than paying for a replacement/repair as mine is out of warranty.

Also, anyone with an iPhone 7 seeing this issue? Can we confirm it's tied just to the 6s? Or maybe just the 6 and 6s? Before I get a 7 want to make sure it's actually going to solve the issue.

Last edited:

Flat6turbo

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2016
This started going on with my 6s bought on launch day over the past 3-4 weeks. Tried fully restoring several times and setting up as new. Didn't help. Finally took it to the Apple Store this weekend and they were going to change the battery for $79 and then ultimately switched to free, but not surprisingly they were all out of 6s batteries. (Hmm, I wonder why?)

They would not just exchange it for a white box replacement b/c it was 30 days out of warranty. Took the phone home, called AppleCare and they ran some diagnostic tests on it remotely and the issue was escalated to senior level tech who ultimately said a battery change won't help the issue, which they do know about, and he put in for an exchange of the phone even though it was out of warranty by a month.

I'm glad to have a working device again. My original one was mint conditioned and babied. Weird problem that even Apple doesn't know exactly how to fix or what's wrong yet.

applejack91

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
This started going on with my 6s bought on launch day over the past 3-4 weeks. Tried fully restoring several times and setting up as new. Didn't help. Finally took it to the Apple Store this weekend and they were going to change the battery for $79 and then ultimately switched to free, but not surprisingly they were all out of 6s batteries. (Hmm, I wonder why?)

They would not just exchange it for a white box replacement b/c it was 30 days out of warranty. Took the phone home, called AppleCare and they ran some diagnostic tests on it remotely and the issue was escalated to senior level tech who ultimately said a battery change won't help the issue, which they do know about, and he put in for an exchange of the phone even though it was out of warranty by a month.

I'm glad to have a working device again. My original one was mint conditioned and babied. Weird problem that even Apple doesn't know exactly how to fix or what's wrong yet.
how do you get applecare to log in remotely?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.