Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Hi everybody, I'm looking for a edge to edge screen protector as I'm upgrading from 6 to 8, but i'm a bit lost with all the options out there.

I'm looking for a edge to edge one with rounded edges (so not the ThanoTech), and good oleophobic coating. The most popular seem to be the D&P/switcheasy and the Thanotech (which doesn't have rounded edge it seem?).

Would you recommend a better one ? I don't mind paying a little extra.

ps: I used to have a Cinder on my iphone 6, are they sill any good ?
Some have had luck with Godosmith AKA G.D.Smith. Others like the pricey IMOS. The rest have had varying success with various vendors. The consensus is that for some reason the products put out for the iPhone 7 were as good or consistent as for the 6.

Search this forum only for the word “edge” and you can read for yourself.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
ps: I used to have a Cinder on my iphone 6, are they sill any good ?

i had that one on my 6 as well - at the time it was arguably the best product but the company was an utter dumpster fire train wreck. are there better products or are there still people using these?

dtuck90

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Am I right in thinking iphone 7 screen protectors will fit on the iPhone 8?

I’ve had a TechArmour screen protector on my iPhone 6 for 2 years and it’s only recently started showing signs of damage so was hoping to go for them again

dtuck90

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2012
Reactions: awmstone

meteoreos

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2016
Midlands, UK
I issues with Tech Armor Balistic HD glass on my 6 or 7plus

I just installed this on my iPhone 7 and it’s okay for the price. It has that ‘rainbow’ effect on the edges which is visible on white backgrounds. But apart from that, it feels great.

I find it a bit disappointing that we’re a year on from the iPhone 7 and there’s yet to be a good all-rounder screen protector.

ValhallaOutcast

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2017
I just installed this on my iPhone 7 and it’s okay for the price. It has that ‘rainbow’ effect on the edges which is visible on white backgrounds. But apart from that, it feels great.

I find it a bit disappointing that we’re a year on from the iPhone 7 and there’s yet to be a good all-rounder screen protector.

interesting my tech armors have always been very clear it it wasnt for the obvious edges I wouldnt notice it

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

AmFilm is this, as is Thanotech.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Recently had to replace our GD Smiths on a 7 Plus and 6 Plus but without availability on Amazon I was leery of ordering them again. Tried ThanoTech. Fit & finish and install were excellent. However, they quickly cracked & chipped. ThanoTech was great at getting a replacement sent out for the 6 Plus but that replacement has already cracked as well. The 7 Plus has a chip at the bottom near the home button but I'm not sure I'm going to bother with replacing it.

I think I'm going to try different options at this point. Not sure if the quality of their screen protectors isn't what it used to be or if they just aren't as durable as GD Smith but I'm disappointed based on our experience. While our GD Smiths did crack it was from hard drops with both devices. The ThanoTechs were not exposed to any drops, unusually hard pressure, etc -- at least that I'm aware of.

Last edited:

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I've been using this for a few months now with no issues:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3X70CT/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I like the zagg because for $5 you can have lifetime replacements, but it also doesn't look as good in black since the colored parts are a matte plastic. That cheap $10 one I posted has worked well, no chipping with the cases I use (thanotec k11 and rhinoshield solid suit) and it went on easily and looks good.

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Recently had to replace our GD Smiths on a 7 Plus and 6 Plus but without availability on Amazon I was leery of ordering them again. Tried ThanoTech. Fit & finish and install were excellent. However, they quickly cracked & chipped. ThanoTech was great at getting a replacement sent out for the 6 Plus but that replacement has already cracked as well. The 7 Plus has a chip at the bottom near the home button but I'm not sure I'm going to bother with replacing it.

I think I'm going to try different options at this point. Not sure if the quality of their screen protectors isn't what it used to be or if they just aren't as durable as GD Smith but I'm disappointed based on our experience. While our GD Smiths did crack it was from hard drops with both devices. The ThanoTechs were not exposed to any drops, unusually hard pressure, etc -- at least that I'm aware of.
Only thing I can think of 6 plus is softer aluminum and 7plus prone to creaks?

scouser75

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2008
The G.D.Smith didn't survive a foot drop onto the toilet seat cover, shattered the corner. This time, went with the Manto screen protector and like this one even more because I can use my Apple silicone case with it. They come real close to touching but doesn't whereas the G.D.Smith wraps around the screen more and would have the case overlapping it. Hopefully the Manto is more resilient than the G.D.Smith, lol!
664a30de2c92ca37a8a923b8adc3aaaa.jpg
0dfa1ccabe1e20535d84a3ec30909b96.jpg
0f688a8aeebdbf8ddb8c2005f521bdba.jpg
e9889de6218374be2453ed1c5b189498.jpg
5a92102aef07fe565dbf7c0cdf2450a0.jpg
Mega thread and post revival! I just bought an iPhone 7 and am after a screen protector. Is this one a mango 3D protector? Also what’s the difference between these 2 please https://www.amazon.co.uk/MANTO-2-PA...=8-8&keywords=manto+screen+protector+iphone+7 and https://www.amazon.co.uk/MANTO-2-Pa...8-13&keywords=manto+screen+protector+iphone+7

I see Zagg have received very poor reviews. Quite schooled as they’ve normally even very good. The techarmors seem to have a blue tint around the edges. Anyone have these?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.