Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
That's disappointing. I tend to believe someone like VSMacOne because he details exactly what he's seeing whereas SumYoungGai just said it was smooth.

Under changes in the first post it has been reported that "App closing animations appear to be fixed on 7 Plus". So now we have reported that it's smooth, fixed and not fixed which is usually the case every beta in those topics that why I take what I read with a pinch if salt regarding this issue.

In reality as of 10.1.1 we still have an iPhone 7 with often laggy animations with choppy scrolling in the app switcher with a half assed improved app close animation and in comparison to a 6s (which is all round much smoother) you will struggle to see any noticeable speed improvements with the iPhone 7. All in all quite a disappointing phone thus far.

RvXtm

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
Even if this is a different animation, I still hope they get their brains back together and change it to a fluid animation. It's disgusting to see that hiccup during the current animation. Also when putting the 7 plus down and using my work 5s , it feels much better regarding the smoothness of the os.

I feel that iOS10 made every other device perform a bit better, except 7 and 7+ :(

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
Finland
I don't know if they've smoothened it out a bit, or if I've just stopped worrying and love the animation (i.e. gotten used to it), but currently (10.1.1) closing out of apps seems to be a lot more fluid than before.

Which ever case it may be, it really doesn't bother me one bit anymore, whereas before it was at times maybe a bit jarring coming from iOS 9.

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I don't know if they've smoothened it out a bit, or if I've just stopped worrying and love the animation (i.e. gotten used to it), but currently (10.1.1) closing out of apps seems to be a lot more fluid than before.

Which ever case it may be, it really doesn't bother me one bit anymore, whereas before it was at times maybe a bit jarring coming from iOS 9.

You've gotten used to it. It's no different than before.

Reactions: XTheLancerX

bartekw

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
That's just sad. I've installed beta 10.2. I think the phone is super fast. But the animation, even though it's less choppy, it's still just not right! It's getting there, but what is the problem of fixing that. Flagship model. SAMSUNG is smoother than iPhone, wth.

dan9700

Suspended
May 28, 2015
Exactly the crap same, i have lost hope anyways even final 10.2 will be same maybe ios 11 will be good lol

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
The only thing to 'fix' is to make it smoother. But the different animation isn't going anywhere. Thats pretty evident now. What 15+ builds of iOS 10?
Yeah that's what I mean, just make it smoother. Shouldn't be too hard, and I would think they could make their latest iPhone have at least as smooth of an animation as my old iPhone 6.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Yeah that's what I mean, just make it smoother. Shouldn't be too hard, and I would think they could make their latest iPhone have at least as smooth of an animation as my old iPhone 6.

I dont know how complex it would be. The animation is different because of the lack of a physical button. But I cannot imagine they couldn't smoothen out the end. Or make the wallpaper end at the same time as the apps, then it would look almost identical to pre-iPhone 7 device, but it would still be different.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I dont know how complex it would be. The animation is different because of the lack of a physical button. But I cannot imagine they couldn't smoothen out the end. Or make the wallpaper end at the same time as the apps, then it would look almost identical to pre-iPhone 7 device, but it would still be different.
I just would like it to be as smooth as it is when you press the button immediately after opening an app, it looks fine then, so hopefully they can eventually make it that way all the time.

Bathplug

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010

I don't think it has anything to do with the home button. If you turn on assistive touch and use the on screen home button then the animations are still exactly the same as when using the home button.

Reactions: XTheLancerX

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I don't think it has anything to do with the home button. If you turn on assistive touch and use the on screen home button then the animations are exactly the same as when using the home button.

Correct but its correlated to the specific device. The animation is encoded for the device. You won't have two different animations on the phone. One for assistive touch and the other for the button itself.

So the common denominator is the button itself.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I don't think it has anything to do with the home button. If you turn on assistive touch and use the on screen home button then the animations are exactly the same as when using the home button.
Could be because the animation is specific to the 7 and 7 Plus, so even with assistive touch it has the same animation.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

bartekw

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
i got used to the new animation. The longer I use it the more I think that apple intends to use this animation. The new home button is indeed different allowing for much faster interaction (opening and closing app immediately). At the same time, it worked very much alike on the previous phones. If you opened and closed the app immediately, the animation would be very fast and fluid.
However, even on iPhone 6, if you pressed the home button normally, after being in app for a while this would happen:

1. Push
2. Wait a short moment
3. Play fluent animation

The whole process was much longer than it is now on iPhone 7/7+. So now it's more like:

1. Touch and get vibration - this is so much faster than on normal button.
Or is it just placebo?

2. Don't wait any moment and play this strange animation.
Maybe it was faster than on other phones. Maybe they wanted to make it similar to the previous models by adding this small delay so it feels similar familiar.

The problem is, it feels like *****. Not so much lately, but still. I got so used to it that I hardly even see it.

What do you guys think?

RvXtm

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Timisoara, Romania
I think apple lost their way. Not only this animation that actually feels like a bug instead of a new animation, but also overall iOS feel.
10.1 fixed a small number of inconsistencies, probably 10.2 will fix a couple more.
The frightening idea is that apple is focusing on emoji and dongles, not on the quality of the software they roll out. iOS10 feels like a great improvement on all other devices, except the flagship iPhone7.
And it is not unusual to complain when you pay 900euros for a device that performs worse overall than a last year old 6s ...

bartekw

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2016
I think apple lost their way. Not only this animation that actually feels like a bug instead of a new animation, but also overall iOS feel.
10.1 fixed a small number of inconsistencies, probably 10.2 will fix a couple more.
The frightening idea is that apple is focusing on emoji and dongles, not on the quality of the software they roll out. iOS10 feels like a great improvement on all other devices, except the flagship iPhone7.
And it is not unusual to complain when you pay 900euros for a device that performs worse overall than a last year old 6s ...
That's why I omitted 6s last year. When I went to apple and started playing with 6s the input blocking and the waiting time for animations shocked me. I held my 6(iOS 8) vs 6s(iOS 9) and in terms of smoothness and input blocking the 6 was the only winner.

And now this.

Don't get me wrong, I love this phone. Apps are brilliantly fast. I can't believe it's so much faster than the 6. But still. It's a flagship. And it feels like a beta.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
For, what, the millionth time it's Unicode that CREATE the Emoji's. Apple are simply adding them to keep updated with what's out there. They (Apple) put a lot of effort into the designs.

Oh and 10.2 (which is currently a BETA) runs very well on my 7.

Reactions: OGPrince

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I can also confirm that the animations in 10.2 beta 2 are the same as beta 1 and 10.1.

Why can't Apple use the same animation across all their devices?

The biggest thing that bothers me is the inconsistency across different iOS devices. It should be the same on iPhone 7 as it is on 6s!

If they need to put the new animation on the 6s, then so be it, but JUST PICK ONE and make them ALL THE SAME.

I realize that they want to be able to show the app switcher in the middle of the app close animation, but there's no reason why they can't use the janky animation on the 6s with a delay.

iPhone 7: Play janky animation immediately
iPhone 6s and below: Delay a few milliseconds and then play janky animation.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
i got used to the new animation. The longer I use it the more I think that apple intends to use this animation. The new home button is indeed different allowing for much faster interaction (opening and closing app immediately). At the same time, it worked very much alike on the previous phones. If you opened and closed the app immediately, the animation would be very fast and fluid.
However, even on iPhone 6, if you pressed the home button normally, after being in app for a while this would happen:

1. Push
2. Wait a short moment
3. Play fluent animation

The whole process was much longer than it is now on iPhone 7/7+. So now it's more like:

1. Touch and get vibration - this is so much faster than on normal button.
Or is it just placebo?

2. Don't wait any moment and play this strange animation.
Maybe it was faster than on other phones. Maybe they wanted to make it similar to the previous models by adding this small delay so it feels similar familiar.

The problem is, it feels like *****. Not so much lately, but still. I got so used to it that I hardly even see it.

What do you guys think?

I really doubt it's intentional. Look at the app switcher animation, it's really weird. Especially in certain weird situations in landscape. This seems related to the app to homewcreen animation. It's just cosmetic bugginess that gets low priority until the last revision of that iOS version usually. Look at 9.3. Ios 9 was FULL of choppiness on all newer devices until 9.3 when pretty much every graphical issue seemed to finally receive priority.

Wait for iOS 10.3. This will probably be what we've been waiting for. It was for iOS 9. iOS 9 was total garbage in terms of performance, even on the newest devices, until 9.3. iOS 10 might be the same.

iOS 9 had the glaringly bad control center choppiness until 9.3. The iPhone 5 had a butter smooth control center while iPhone 5s and up was choppy and nasty. Even the 6s. In 9.3 it FINALLY got fixed.

iOS 10 could definitely turn out to be similar.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
9.3 was released in June 2016?

When do you think 10.3 will be out?
It was actually released in March. No one really knows when something like 10.3 would be out (likely sometime in the early part of next year), or if it will even have anything related to any of this in it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.