Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sailmac

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
I wonder how this might affect the SAR value (Specific Absorption Rate) of the device?

I'm not keen to debate the pros/cons of measuring SAR in devices, I'm just curious how Apple's new approach might increase or decrease the number.

Reactions: 5105973

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
This won't please the people who want their iPhone to be THICK, but for the rest of us, a quick charge for days of typical use would be a game changer.
Unless you think of 6/6S to be thick, I don't think thats what's bothering a lot of folks.
It's the reduction in battery to make way for thinner products.
Think 'bout it, if they just leave it be, then the new chips and iOS efficiency will boost itself.

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
Let me just say to all of you complaining about the next phone being thinner.... I'm there with you! :) Enough with the obsession with thinness! Better battery life would be more preferable! Oh, and how about a camera module that doesn't protrude from the back? It really is getting ridiculous. And my computer? Why the heck do I care that my iMac is "thin?" Could not care less. Sure, I don't want an ugly tower from the 90s, but a desktop computer that actually has room for desktop class GPU that isn't a Mac "Pro"? That would be nice...

Edit: Not being sarcastic...

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
No, the endgame is that we have the screen surgically embedded into our forearm. Our body is the antenna and the electricity we create within out bodies does the rest.

BTW: Contract free, but the surgery is $ 799.00 designed by Apple, performed in China, which by then has 4 million iPhone surgeons.

Still 16GB.

.....and don't say there wouldn't be enough kooks to try this.

nah, screens are a waste of space, we'll have embedded projectors on our retina or just an interface that introduces signal to the optic nerve.

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
I have a feeling this will be a dissapointing update to the iPhone line. Apple will focus on the next years model (let's hope they will finally shrink the freakin bezels instead of making it thinner again).

Reactions: Col4bin

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Sounds like they spent plenty of time figuring out how to make it thinner but couldn't figure out a way to make the bezel on the top smaller, great..
This 10,000x! Lose those hulking ugly bezels and outdated home button, Johnny. What are you guys waiting for???
[doublepost=1459457570][/doublepost]
What about shaving of the bezels?!
Been saying this for the past three years. Couldn't agree more.

Reactions: S G

Dezryth

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Plano, TX
Would be funny if the crowd booed during the keynote when Tim boasts a needlessly thinner design.

That would never happen because the booers would be blacklisted and never attend another Apple event again. Besides, I'm not sure what you're all complaining about. The battery life is great where it's at now, and Apple is sure to at least maintain the amount of usage you can get out of it now. Most likely it will still be an improvement despite the phone being thinner.

If anything there might be a little less enthusiastic clapping. Like woo, big deal. Slightly less noticeable when it's in my jeans pocket..

Cirano

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2015
WTF is wrong with these people?! Who TF wants a thinner phone?! I don't need to slice bread with my phone. Just add a decent battery for F* sake!

I have never played the "When Steve was around..." game because I wanted to give Apple a chance. But this company is clearly becoming a joke. Customer care has become is BS, software development is pathetic..does it really take this little amount of time to screw up a once respected company?!

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
That would never happen because the booers would be blacklisted and never attend another Apple event again. Besides, I'm not sure what you're all complaining about. The battery life is great where it's at now, and Apple is sure to at least maintain the amount of usage you can get. Most likely it will still be an improvement despite the phone being thinner.
Battery is great now according to you. Most of the commenters on this entire forum feel otherwise. (Hint: it could be a whole lot better.)

Dezryth

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2014
Plano, TX
I'm curious as to what all of you are doing on your phones that your phone doesn't get through a day on a single charge. Or is the issue that you want it to get through more than one day?

Perhaps its the fact that I don't actually do much talking on my phone from a day to day basis, but it's 4PM where I'm at now and I'm still at 70%+. Can't remember the last time my phone died on me.

Reactions: saba01

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Yes, another few micrometers less. That's what we've all waited for! Unless, of course, we are talking about the camera. Seriously. It's slim enough. Protruding camera is what sucks.
Still, there's so much wasted space above and below the screen. Shorten the device instead of slimming it! And, frankly, the Home-Button -aka Panic-Buton- is one of the biggest useless things on Apple devices. I've as well tried and am using fully gesture controlled OS's (BBOS10 and Sailfish). Compared to that iOS feels like 2010. Ironically, there's gesture support on the iPad -although, not the best...
Apple has to make a step forward sooner or later and make some real improvements...

AVEGA

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2016
Austin TX
Thinner :rolleyes:o_O
Nobody cares about that anymore.

Will the antenna chip thing allow FM Radio ? Now that would be a decent feature. If the ipod Nano 5th gen could have a FM radio, why not iphone / ipad.
I bet it wouldn't cost them a dime to include that feature in each phone/ipad . In an emergency the FM signal would be a godsend . I think Apple won't ever do it unless it's government mandated because they want stupid :apple: music and streaming music options.

Reactions: Laxington

allanfries

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2013
Canada
I like the thickness and weight of the 6s. I would not change a thing. Well the rear of the phone is quite ugly, but thats what cases are for. Seriously tho, enough with "thinner" already. :confused:

Reactions: Col4bin

-Ray-

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2011
Pennsylvania
You would think that the 10 year anniversary model would be something magical. Not for Apple. Thinner and less battery.

Laxington

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2012
I'm curious as to what all of you are doing on your phones that your phone doesn't get through a day on a single charge. Or is the issue that you want it to get through more than one day?

Perhaps its the fact that I don't actually do much talking on my phone from a day to day basis, but it's 4PM where I'm at now and I'm still at 70%+. Can't remember the last time my phone died on me.
I do work on my iPhone. Because that is the reason why I bought a smartphone. Checking emails, working with keynote cutting films with iMovie for our company blog when I am on location! At 3pm I have to charge my damn iPhone. Make it thicker with mor battery life. God damn it!

DevNull0

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2015
Thinner and lighter instead of improving battery life. Classic.

Well these forums are always full of people complaining the iPhone is too fat and bulky. Nobody ever complains about battery life. /sarcasm
[doublepost=1459461523][/doublepost]

About 70 minutes of Hearthstone will take my phone from 100% to 0. I'm sure there's a lot of games that will drain it even faster. I really don't do much gaming at all on the phone anymore just because the battery life stinks.

I only seem to get 4-6 hours of web browsing on a full charge.

Factor in I like to listen to music about 10 hours a day and for me the iPhone really can't even be classified as a wireless device.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
I have my 6 in a dock at work...it stands upright, and allows me to see and use it while it's charging. If it's laying flat to charge, it's basically useless during charging. I think "wireless" charging is kind of cool, but overrated. Besides, it's not really wireless. If it could charge at a certain distance from the thing plugged into the wall, we'd have something there...

The wireless charger for the Palm pré was awesome. It was angled so you could use the phone, was more solid feeling than the wobbly docks the iPhone uses, and caused the phone to go into a nice nightstand mode when you weren't using it. I really miss that.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 90
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.