Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Is anyone else having cellular connectivity issues on VZW?

My phone is saying "No Service" in previously strong-signal areas? Mine has done this about 4 times that I've noticed in the past 24 hours. It lasts about 2-3 minutes each time.

iPhone 7 Plus 128GB, Verizon
Fully up-to-date: 10.0.1 and VZW 25.1 carrier settings.

jayers33

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016

My phone is saying "No Service" in previously strong-signal areas? Mine has done this about 4 times that I've noticed in the past 24 hours. It lasts about 2-3 minutes each time.

I have an iphone 5 and completely lost all signal after updating to ios 10. I have 25.1 carrier settings as well. It seems that phones with 25.1 are having the issue.

novakjos

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
New Jersey

Identical issue except I have a 7, no plus. I found it was happening when using Waze...I think. Will play around with it more in the coming days. Not a happy camper.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I got this just today. Left my house, perfect signal. About 2 miles away crossing over a major highway at a red light I noticed I had no service, it should have had full bars. It lasted about a mile or 2, and coming back home reception was fine at the same point. But I also noticed on the same trip that my GPS also dropped out and Waze stopped tracking me, but Waze is such a buggy app I'm not sure if it was the app or the phone.

Edit: I'm still on 10.0, haven't updated yet.

mav41

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2015
I've noticed that whenever Waze or Google Maps is running the phone loses service every approximately 10min then goes back to normal after 1 min. I drove around NYC all day and noticed this disturbing pattern so I called Verizon and they had me reset network settings to no avail. Anyone else seeing this?

Reactions: Louis Griffiths

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I've noticed that whenever Waze or Google Maps is running the phone loses service every approximately 10min then goes back to normal after 1 min. I drove around NYC all day and noticed this disturbing pattern so I called Verizon and they had me reset network settings to no avail. Anyone else seeing this?

this person is having some issues too
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ctivate-network-issues.1997778/#post-23496186

Maybe this will help you out
If you can‘t connect to a cellular network or cellular data
Learn what to do if you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular), or have cellular network and 4G LTE issues.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201415

Last edited:

Pseudoseraphim

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2016
Yes, this happened to me as well. Now that I think about it, it was while using Waze as my GPS. Toggling airplane mode a couple of times seemed to work.

Jjsul

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
I'm getting the same thing. Didn't notice it was while using maps, but I think that is what's going on for me.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

Verizon isn't 100% in NYC. one of my phones is on Verizon and i lose connectivity sometimes as well. probably a little worse now than it was a few years ago

Reactions: kazmac

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Thanks everyone. I noticed it a few times while using Waze as well, but a few times when I was not. Maybe it was running in the background.

Noticed that my GPS dropped out too at least once while using Waze and driving.

Installing the Waze update and will keep an eye on it today.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Happened to me again this morning on Verizon. Full signal area with no service for about 2 miles. Running Waze version 4.12. Others on sprint and T-Mobile complaining also.

mav41

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2015
Same exact issue. As a test I used Google Maps for navigation instead of Waze and no difference. The pattern was that is dropped service about every 10min for a min then back to normal. Also noticed signal is not as strong as iPhone 6, I'm using regular iPhone 7. Spoke to Verizon and they had me reset network settings but same.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Verizon isn't 100% in NYC. one of my phones is on Verizon and i lose connectivity sometimes as well. probably a little worse now than it was a few years ago

Thank you for confirming this, I thought I was noticing this since I switched to the 6s. And while my building is pretty bad with reception (T-Mobile is even worse), this has become increasingly more noticeable over the past several months. I never get beyond 3 dots on the wifi and LTE as well. I've done everything in the Apple document several times and still... crappy reception. Lately, I've lost service a lot more than it was in the past.

Needless to say, I am disappointed. I hoped the antenna redesign with the 7/7+ may help, but it doesn't seem like it. I may jump ship back to AT&T as much as I loathe them. (T-Mobile is absolutely out as far as I'm concerned and the reception is non-existent.) Something else to consider then.

and thanks to @mav41 about the 7+ problems on VZN.

Last edited:
Reactions: determined09

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Thank you for confirming this, I thought I was noticing this since I switched to the 6s. And while my building is pretty bad with reception (T-Mobile is even worse), this has become increasingly more noticeable over the past several months. I never get beyond 3 dots on the wifi and LTE as well. I've done everything in the Apple document several times and still... crappy reception. Lately, I've lost service a lot more than it was in the past.

Needless to say, I am disappointed. I hoped the antenna redesign with the 7/7+ may help, but it doesn't seem like it. I may jump ship back to AT&T as much as I loathe them. (T-Mobile is absolutely out as far as I'm concerned and the reception is non-existent.) Something else to consider then.
I was worried about the reduction of the antenna bands mostly for looks wasn't a good idea. I had a the 6s plus sim-free and I had a dropped call in the first three days of owning that iPhone and there was this white noise in the background of all the phones calls that I made and I sounded muffled too
[doublepost=1474223296][/doublepost]

Here's a direct link to macrumors. I'm not using tap talk right now.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/iphone-7-plus-no-service-vzw.1997680/

Reactions: kazmac

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
@determined09 thanks. Disappointing as hell.
You're welcome.
[doublepost=1474227675][/doublepost]
I'm not sure if this will help but Waze just released an app update Waze.

Last edited:

mav41

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2015
Just tried with Apple Maps navigation- same. Then closed the app and checked back 10min later, sure enough the phone went to no service even with no gps apps running. Going to Verizon now.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Something is going on. I was on hold with Verizon for about 25 minutes without being able to talk to someone.

mav41

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2015
Went to Verizon store and they wanted to replace phone but they have no stock so they sent me to Apple. They claimed not to have heard of this issue. Waiting to see Apple support later today and will report back. Have a feeling replacement phone won't resolve issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.