Carrier Anyone's Verizon iPhone unable to activate/network issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dictoresno, Sep 17, 2016.

1. dictoresno macrumors 601

dictoresno

Last night, my iPhone 7 refused to activate with its preinstalled SIM card. I was forced to swap the one from my iPhone 6.

Today, I've noticed my phone spending a lot of time on 3G instead of LTE and sometimes the network completely drops, then switches to 1x then back to LTE.

Anyone else having issues with their preinstalled SIM card or other network issues in general?

2. dmooreco macrumors newbie

Yes, horrible connectivity issues all day. Just as you described.

3. sik08amg macrumors regular

sik08amg

I had this issue as well. I contacted the VZW number ending in 4646 and went through a brief automated process. Everything worked like a champ after that.

4. Jal217 macrumors regular

Jal217

Took my dad 8 hours of trying to activate. Took me 30 seconds

5. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Sooooooo what's the number?

Different that the one you're prompted to call to activate while setting up the phone? Please share.

6. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Oh lord jesus. That's not good. I'm still waiting to hear more feedback about how well or not well does the iphone 7/7 plus work on the Verizon network.

7. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Mine was working fine up until today. 3 times at least when I was looking at the phone it did the "no network, 1x, 3G" routine.

This was just before I finished checking the thread. Note the missing cellular data icon. It went back to LTE right after that. Plus I notice the signal is lower now than it usually is.

[​IMG]

8. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

I reset network settings. I'll see if this helps. Any way to push carrier provisioning to our devices or reset it? Or only Verizon can do that via phone call.

9. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

I wonder if the the service problems have to due with the fact that Apple reduced the amount of the antenna bands used on the 7/7 plus.

10. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Verizon only uses one or two of those bands and I'm only on one of them. Both should be covered by this phone. Considering the preinstalled SIM card refused to activate last night, even after calling the automated activation number, I have a feeling there's a backend network or provisioning issue going on. Did anyone else swap your old SIM card or did you use the preinstalled one.

11. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

I found this on the verizon forum but the OP has yet to response.
    https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/918534

12. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Just happened again. Usually when I'm trying to load something. It freezes and resets the network.

13. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

14. determined09, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Maybe. Good luck in finding solution to your problem. sorry I'm not very much help!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 17, 2016 ---
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/verizon-iphone-7-loses-service.1997808/

This person is having some service issues too
    If you can‘t connect to a cellular network or cellular data
    Learn what to do if you see No Service or Searching on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular), or have cellular network and 4G LTE issues.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201415
    Maybe this will help you!

15. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

funny thing, I work in Elizabeth NJ which is right across the river from NYC. now that I'm home, 40 miles west, there are no network issues again. I had 2 bouts of "No Service" while driving home, but as I got closer to home, the network stabilized. I wonder if theres a network outage in the NYC metro area.

Downdetector.com shows reports of network issues/outages in the NYC area which "could" explain it.

check the comments...

http://downdetector.com/status/verizon/map/
    on the live chat with Verizon, they are telling me its not good to use my iPhone 6 SIM card with the iPhone 7 :rolleyes:

16. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Good the live chat is back. Good that you may have found a solution to your problem

17. dictoresno, Sep 17, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

they made me swap SIM cards to the one that came preinstalled on the iPhone 7. I mean, does it really matter these days?

the rep insisted that the iPhone 6 SIM card may work fine with the 5S or 6S but that its not very compatible with the iPhone 7. they also stated that Apple designs the phone to be paired with its specific SIM card and it could cause network issues if they aren't used with their respective devices.

18. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

I don't think it should.

19. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

I do know the SIM card is relied upon for proper provisioning so maybe there is some minor issues that could arise.

20. mav41 macrumors member

I noticed signal goes to no service while using gps app like waze or google maps. Pattern seems to be ok for about 10min and no service for 1min. I already reset phone network settings per Verizon but didn't change.

21. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

Are you using an old SIM card or the one the iPhone 7 came with? The network wouldn't let me activate the new SIM last night but a Verizon rep just had me swap them during the chat and now I'm using the preinstalled SIM.

22. mav41 macrumors member

Using the one that came with the phone. Verizon told me next step is to get sim replaced but I doubt that's the issue.

23. dictoresno thread starter macrumors 601

dictoresno

downdetctor shows there network issues in the NYC area, but I'm sure that bubble is always hovering there no matter when I check that site.

24. mav41 macrumors member

I'm going to get sim replaced tomorrow- will try to get phone replaced too. Last time I saw this it was phone issue (I work in IT).

25. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy