Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Then it was never warm to begin with... iPhone screens dont change magically from yellow to white. The whole glue thing is a myth
It's differently a warmer screen. Mine has always been warmer, but that was not my problem. The brightness was the issue. I have no idea about the glue, all I know is it's much better now.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
And you started this thread...I guess there's hope for all that experienced what you pointed out. Obviously it isn't a screen defect.

Well he said initially it was very dark to begin with so it being better for him may only suffice for him.

I don't think that was the same for most of us, it was not very dark. I was initially happy UNTIL I did a side by side with the 6S.

It looks better to me now too but I need to see it against the 6s again though.

Reactions: Shark5150

onepoint

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
USA
I noticed this issue straight away, thinking I might go to Apple Store next week about it, I hate it. It's literally half as bright as the 6.

71cd2f9bcb.jpg
Wow. Have you tried toggling auto-brightness off and doing a hard restart?

lockmotion

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Wow. Have you tried toggling auto-brightness off and doing a hard restart?

I just set up my 7, it was way dimmer than my 6. I updated to 10.0.1 and it increased slightly but now has a strange behavior.

When I hard reset it, the white screen is brighter momentarily, but not as bright as the 6S. The phone turns back on to the white Apple logo and the screen has a very rapid but faint flicker. Then, the screen immediately dims a level like a switch.

THEN if you watch, a few seconds later, it dims again. Also my phone is hotter than it should be.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Mine has some problem. Did a hard reset
I just set up my 7, it was way dimmer than my 6. I updated to 10.0.1 and it increased slightly but now has a strange behavior.

When I hard reset it, the white screen is brighter momentarily, but not as bright as the 6S. The phone turns back on to the white Apple logo and the screen has a very rapid but faint flicker. Then, the screen immediately dims a level like a switch.

THEN if you watch, a few seconds later, it dims again. Also my phone is hotter than it should be.

I have the exact same behavior. It was fine for awhile but the phone got hot and it started dimming. I am guessing when it gets hot (from all the setup/indexing activity?) it dims? I hope this is what is going on. I turned mine off and am going to let it cool off. I was also repairing it with my apple watch so maybe (hopefully) all this activity is heating it up and the the screen dims until it cools down? The brightness was good for awhile.

Bubble99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Anyone else having issues with your screen not getting bright? My 7 is super dark and I have turned it up all the way, and it's still very low. Any thoughts?

I would turn the auto-brightness off and set your own brightness level. See if the problem goes away.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Well he said initially it was very dark to begin with so it being better for him may only suffice for him.

I don't think that was the same for most of us, it was not very dark. I was initially happy UNTIL I did a side by side with the 6S.

It looks better to me now too but I need to see it against the 6s again though.
Mine was pretty bad to start off with. Normally I would not complain about anything because most stuff does not bother me. This how ever was pretty bad. After being out in the sun and while in the sun putting it next to my 6s, they looked almost as bright as each other. It has for sure gotten better. It may take the phone some time to adjust to lighting.

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
I "zoomed" my display, and presto, Brightness! I have had the phone on for about two hours also. Whew! It's a pain having to go through all these adjustments to get the new phone going after a restore from a backup. Even if it's just once a year. Surely it can be easier...

This fixed it for me too. Switched back and forth, and the issue was fixed.

Thanks for the tip!

Reactions: dolphin2421

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
The screen dims automatically on iPhones when they get hot. Have done for years.

Sure everyone's phone isn't just hot and trying to reduce its workload while your all setting up and playing with your new phones?

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I "zoomed" my display, and presto, Brightness! I have had the phone on for about two hours also. Whew! It's a pain having to go through all these adjustments to get the new phone going after a restore from a backup. Even if it's just once a year. Surely it can be easier...
What do you mean zoomed?

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
After having used the 7 for most of the day now it has gotten brighter, it's still not fully there and is a warmer colour which I'm not a fan of but I might be able to deal with it now. I have also seen a few times today when the brightness would jump slightly, this is something I experienced before a few gens back, maybe on the 5. That went away over time, maybe an update fixed it I don't know but hope it goes away on this too.

Again, iPhone 7 on left, 6 on right, darker room this time though.

3e90f2a7cc.jpg

Jad2121

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Philly

I just did the same thing and it worked!! thanks!!

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
This makes sense.

It does and that did go through my head when I was restoring from my back up this morning as it was rather hot, but the thing is I've never ever seen this happen on any other iPhone at any time, seems like iPhone 7 might run hotter, maybe because of the water resistant measures they put in this one.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
What exactly did you guys do? I have the same problem.
Go to settings and display and go to the bottom and, instead of standard, select zoom.

That, for me, did not really fix the issue and I feel it is actually a deception of the fact the icons are zoom. Like another poster mentioned, I have observed the brightness of the screen periodically go up and back down throughout the day. I wonder if it is in fact a software glitch, if the auto brightness is in some way enabled and it is reacting to light. Though, to debunk this theory, I shined a flashlight on the light sensors on the phone and it did not react to it.

matthijst

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
:D

Ok. So it seems it dims when the phone gets too hot. I'm downloading my Music Library now and it just dimmed.

Went to settings. Display and switched to zoom and it got bright. Switched back to normal zoom and it stayed bright.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
:D

Ok. So it seems it dims when the phone gets too hot. I'm downloading my Music Library now and it just dimmed.

Went to settings. Display and switched to zoom and it got bright. Switched back to normal zoom and it stayed bright.

While I noticed that as well, I don't buy it completely. First, with respect to heating, I have noticed that my phone has been warm all day since it has been re downloading all of my pictures from the cloud. Throughout the day, the brightness fluctuated, though the phone was hot the entire time. So, one could argue that the heat has nothing to do with the brightness changing. Second, regarding the zooming, I did that too and noticed a change in brightness. However, I actually think it is a matter of perception because the screen is zoomed in and not that he actual display's brightness is changing. I could be wrong, but I have had my iPhone 6 next to me to compare and there is still a difference.

tjleonard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2013
Dude. This isn't a matter of opinions. There IS a problem with brightness.
I don't think everyone sees the problem. I had it for an hour or so, and in a dark room, it was still to dim to where it was unusable. I let it continue restoring and now it's pretty bright, I'd say slightly brighter than my 6s.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Ok, I will try the zoom.

I am going to Walmart in a bit to pick up some stuff. They have a 6s on display and I will compare again after I do the zoom.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.