Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
No need to, not trying to convince you. Besides I know you read the stats on both just like anyone here if not more. I call BS on you if you say otherwise as would anyone who remotely reviews your activity here.

The above actually fits the definition of an opinion. Welcome to the world of opinions vs just your belief. The reality is you continue to try to hard. But we all know you like getting in the last word. Typical.

This is the Internet and your post just proves that you are doing exactly what you say I'm doing. In the real world saying apple customers upgrade because apple starves them of functionality is pretty ridiculous.

You are portraying the above as a fact, it may be a factoid, or a fact in your universe, but it's nothing that can ever be proven or disproven. You can have the last word if you want.

Last edited:

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
This is the Internet and your post just proves that you are doing exactly what you say I'm doing. In the real world saying apple customers upgrade because apple starves them of functionality is pretty ridiculous.

It's far from ridiculous. Again, I need not worry about proving it to you. I know you know it's true. It's the Apple way to keep users from having full functionality and anyone who has ever owned an iDevice knows it too. Don't be mad bro....it's a beautiful thing and the driving force behind making Apple all those profits that the others only wish they could have...you know the stuff you like to for some reason brag about. Perhaps in your universe you're the defender of all things Apple with a big red cape hanging over your shoulders. I don't know. Sounds like fun man.

If the others only had only not given their customers such a big piece of steak all at once so many years ago.

You can have the last word if you want.

Thanks. I"m sure you'll be back though.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
It's far from ridiculous. Again, I need not worry about proving it to you. I know you know it's true. It's the Apple way to keep users from having full functionality and anyone who has ever owned an iDevice knows it too. Don't be mad bro....it's a beautiful thing and the driving force behind making Apple all those profits that the others only wish they could have...you know the stuff you like to for some reason brag about. Perhaps in your universe you're the defender of all things Apple with a big red cape hanging over your shoulders. I don't know. Sounds like fun man.

If the others only had only not given their customers such a big piece of steak all at once so many years ago.

Thanks. I"m sure you'll be back though.

Nope, only to say I read the post, both of us expressed some opinion on this sub-topic. I do agree if you are a shareholder you are jumping for joy. However some have the most ill-informed views of corporate customers. (Either that or jealously)

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
HTC made money last quarter, I don't think they're going to give up on android phones.

Android has a larger marketshare, that is there are more android phones out in the wild then iPhones. Why pull up tent stakes because Apple had a great quarter.

Basically, you're saying that everyone else should give up because apple has them beat. I think that's wrong, as many people prefer choice and others do not like iPhones.

Agreed. There is no one perfect phone/os for everyone. It is nice to have choices.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
You really do have to applaud Apple for making like $40B and over 70M iPhones sold last quarter. Apple finally taking a chance with phablets helped them attract new customers and growth. Not just trying to rely on the same customers. An extra 16M sold on 6+ is quite a boost to the already 44M for the 6. Then you add the 5-series sales for the ones that want to be part of the compact crowd. Apple catered to THREE DIFFERENT sectors offering 4/4.7/5.5. They finally spread it out a little more and look. Record numbers.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I hate when I see people compare IOS to android in terms of sales. That is just ridiculous. Apple currently sells 4 phones?

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Now that apple has released 2 bigger "android" sized iPhones and after apple has grabbed just about 50% of new smartphone activations since the launch of these 2 new iPhones anyone think that the other smartphone manufactures are going to put more interest in other things besides their smartphone? Like I see HTC for example trying not to compete with apple but released new products in different categories. Samsung recently has made a huge push towards VR gaming. I just think the other smartphone OEM's are a bit scared. IMO

Just in the US and next Q that spike is gone and android dominates again.

So no, you might hope for some strange reason they will give up but they wont .

----------

I hate when I see people compare IOS to android in terms of sales. That is just ridiculous. Apple currently sells 4 phones?

So? Different companies have different strategies they all just want to make money.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Then there is the argument that people use it to claim Apple is outright superior, goes both ways.

I think comparing apple to Samsung is a little more practical. Even better take the top 5 selling android phones and compare them to iPhones. Android makes most of their money off cheap phones.

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013
Productivity, ease of use comes before domestic brand affinity maybe? (just my guess - I personally love the Xperia Z designs, never owned it though)
Anyway S Korea is a bigger shocker. No foreign brand had gone beyond 20% market share in Samsung's home turf. Apple is at 33% since November 2014
Usually Apple reach about 12-15% of market part while Android over dominates the rest of market (over 80%)
However, i ve seen more iPhones than any other Android phones
Yes that's also shocking as well from S Korea but taking the lead in Japan with an half of market part, its incredible
That would mean most of japanese does own an iPhone
A real Plebiscite while in video game market, they simply ignore the presence of an american console :rolleyes:

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I got it, it's your opinion. I don't share the opinion that apples customers are basically isheep waiting to throw money at Apple.
Lol, seriously? You haven't been here long apparently. For many, Apple can do no wrong. Plenty of iSheep all over. Many iPhone users upgrade even when there wasn't much to update to.
3.5" was the perfect size then suddenly 4" was the perfect size.

I like the iPhone but for me, it certainly does lag in features and like Android better for what it does and what iOS doesn't do but I'm no sheep. I have a Nexus 5 and wanted a Nexus 6 but they made it way too big for my liking so I skipped it. Loved the two Galaxy phones I had but I skipped the GS 2,4 & 5 but am interested in the GS 6 while they are saying it will be 5.1" . That's a sweet spot for for me along with the other rumored features and redesign.

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Lol, seriously? You haven't been here long apparently. For many, Apple can do no wrong. Plenty of iSheep all over. Many iPhone users upgrade even when there wasn't much to update to.

I like the iPhone but for me, it certainly does lag features and like Android better for what it does and what iOS doesn't do but I'm no sheep. I have a Nexus 5 and wanted a Nexus 6 but they made it way too big for my liking so I skipped it. Loved the two Galaxy phones I had but I skipped the GS 2,4 & 5 but am interested in the GS 6 while they are saying it will be 5.1" . That's a sweet spot for for me along with the other rumored features and redesign.
I think comparing IPhone to similarly priced other smartphones is the only honest way to go. Business models between Google and Apple are very different. Google gives crack away for free to keep users using, to drive ad sales. Apple only makes money off of selling their crack directly, doesn't matter if it sits in a drawer unused, yes they have app and music income but drop in the bucket compared to crack sales. Nobody is making money off of Cheap smartphones. So Discussions about market share are meaningless. Mercedes numbers are dwarfed by Toyota and Honda. Do Android sheep feel more intelligent than IOS sheep ? That seems to be the payoff of fanboyism.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Fair enough, your wife had a hardware failure after two years and therefore apple products don't last forever in general for everybody. As far as the "just works" I do agree some things could have been better, but in no way diminishes the "just works" philosophy. You could sell the iphone and get the z3. You want to trade an iphone 6 for a moto x?

If it is a 2nd gen MX then i certainly would.

The lollipop thread seems to disprove your notion that "android users don't seem to do that" and some of the threads about upcoming android phones also seem to indicate android users suffer from "upgradeitis" also. :)

I think most suffer from upgrade-itis. This board is great for reading the latest going on and to read about other products coming out because there are a lot of tech "geeks" here which isnt a bad thing. Good thing IMO and those "geeks" as i affectionately call them also have the gotta have fever and buy the newest phone coming out all the time. Some guys even keep 5 around and use them all which to me is weird but thats their thing.

This board doesnt reflect the entire nation so i agree with you there but Apple seems to have a kind of cult like following all over which reflects in the sales they get in the USA which is much higher than anywhere else in the world by a wide margin........which imo is also a good thing. Keep those American companies going and doing well which Google is also a American companie so lets keep that in mind when some decide to bash them.

----------

I think comparing IPhone to similarly priced other smartphones is the only honest way to go. Business models between Google and Apple are very different. Google gives crack away for free to keep users using, to drive ad sales. Apple only makes money off of selling their crack directly, doesn't matter if it sits in a drawer unused, yes they have app and music income but drop in the bucket compared to crack sales. Nobody is making money off of Cheap smartphones. So Discussions about market share are meaningless. Mercedes numbers are dwarfed by Toyota and Honda. Do Android sheep feel more intelligent than IOS sheep ? That seems to be the payoff of fanboyism.

Sure but Google also gives updates all year long with system Apps and other apps and you dont have to wait for a new OS to do so. Even when they come out with a new OS like Lollipop, you can upgrade parts of it to ypur phone or tablet without waiting for the entire thing...... if you want to. Many people are very impatient. I can wait and usually do but thats me.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

I like the iPhone but for me, it certainly does lag in features and like Android better for what it does and what iOS doesn't do but I'm no sheep. I have a Nexus 5 and wanted a Nexus 6 but they made it way too big for my liking so I skipped it. Loved the two Galaxy phones I had but I skipped the GS 2,4 & 5 but am interested in the GS 6 while they are saying it will be 5.1" . That's a sweet spot for for me along with the other rumored features and redesign.

Here meaning where? Earth or MacRumors? Seriously, why do you care how other people spend their money and why does it bother you so much? It's not like they are asking you for a loan.

Without a doubt some android models have features/options not available on iphone. I can't say that if Apple didn't incorporate the features on android but not on iphone, I will go toward android or windows the next go around. Everybody has their own rational for choosing the platform of choice. Some people like one of everything, which is not my style, but to each their own.

----------

If it is a 2nd gen MX then i certainly would.

I think most suffer from upgrade-itis. This board is great for reading the latest going on and to read about other products coming out because there are a lot of tech "geeks" here which isnt a bad thing. Good thing IMO and those "geeks" as i affectionately call them also have the gotta have fever and buy the newest phone coming out all the time. Some guys even keep 5 around and use them all which to me is weird but thats their thing.

This board doesnt reflect the entire nation so i agree with you there but Apple seems to have a kind of cult like following all over which reflects in the sales they get in the USA which is much higher than anywhere else in the world by a wide margin........which imo is also a good thing. Keep those American companies going and doing well which Google is also a American companie so lets keep that in mind when some decide to bash them.

----------

Sure but Google also gives updates all year long with system Apps and other apps and you dont have to wait for a new OS to do so. Even when they come out with a new OS like Lollipop, you can upgrade parts of it to ypur phone or tablet without waiting for the entire thing...... if you want to. Many people are very impatient. I can wait and usually do but thats me.

It's a 2014; is that a second gen? At any rate he just bought an android smartware, so at this point he decided to stay with what he has.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

It's a false dichotomy in the sense that Apple is one company selling their in-house OS.

Android is peddled by a hodgepodge of companies, but it's no coalition by any stretch. Samsung doesn't give a damn about HTC, and HTC doesn't give a rat's ass about LG. Everyone is out for dolo.These guys are cutting each other's throats and ransacking each other's profits every chance they get.

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
It's a false dichotomy in the sense that Apple is one company selling their in-house OS.

Android is peddled by a hodgepodge of companies, but it's no coalition by any stretch. Samsung doesn't give a damn about HTC, and HTC doesn't give a rat's ass about LG. Everyone is out for dolo.These guys are cutting each other's throats and ransacking each other's profits every chance they get.

Yes. Along with Apple every Android company has also to compete with every other Android company as well every year they release their flagship. There's not much flexibility because they have the constant fear that someone else may better them - the market can be unforgiving sometimes. And this happens every year!

Whereas for Apple, they being the sole manufacturer of iOS devices (obviously), they have that luxury. All they have to do is better themselves every year.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Here meaning where? Earth or MacRumors? Seriously, why do you care how other people spend their money and why does it bother you so much? It's not like they are asking you for a loan.

I don't care what others buy so I guess you haven't been here long. I've always been one to say buy what you like and think these "my benchmark scores are better than yours" arguments are ridiculous.

Without a doubt some android models have features/options not available on iphone. I can't say that if Apple didn't incorporate the features on android but not on iphone, I will go toward android or windows the next go around. Everybody has their own rational for choosing the platform of choice. Some people like one of everything, which is not my style, but to each their ow.

If it's Android on any phone it has more features. But like you said, to each their own. You apparently like iOS better and that's fine. I don't care for it as much.

It's a 2014; is that a second gen? At any rate he just bought an android smartware, so at this point he decided to stay with what he has.
Depends on when he got it. The 2nd gen came out around Oct or Nov, has a bigger screen and has more sensors on it.

Last edited:

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
All of this is great for competition and better products for us. No more to see here.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I don't care what others buy so I guess you haven't been here long. I've always been one to say buy what you like and think these "my benchmark scores are better than yours" arguments are ridiculous.

If it's Android on any phone it has more features. But like you said, to each their own. You apparently like iOS better and that's fine. I don't care for it as much.

Depends on when he got it. The 2nd gen came out around Oct or Nov, has a bigger screen and has more sensors on it.

Not being uh, pedantic, but what do you mean by "here". Here meaning "earth". Or here, not long enough on MacRumors to know you intimately as a fellow internet poster?

If it's the latter, yes; if it's the former...well - that's another story.:p

I mostly agree about the benchmarks.

Yes, he got the 2nd Gen as I asked him.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I think comparing apple to Samsung is a little more practical. Even better take the top 5 selling android phones and compare them to iPhones. Android makes most of their money off cheap phones.

I'm sure you are right, but it would be cool to see a breakdown. I wonder how profitible low end android is.

I would advise moto g, maybe a sony or htc midrange, an older flagship, or windows phone if you want to go super cheap. I wonder who is buying these phones like galaxy young, ace , maybe lg sells their low end with prepaid etc.. :p

Talked with someone bitching about an lg phone they got from cricket cuz of like 800mb internal storage, rediculous :( aside from that they were happy but geez.

Last edited:

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
As far as the "just works" I do agree some things could have been better, but in no way diminishes the "just works" philosophy.

No but the below does. "Just works" yeah right....

There is nothing you can say to get around that this doesn't "just work"

IMG_1619.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.