Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shorestyle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2014
Now that apple has released 2 bigger "android" sized iPhones and after apple has grabbed just about 50% of new smartphone activations since the launch of these 2 new iPhones anyone think that the other smartphone manufactures are going to put more interest in other things besides their smartphone? Like I see HTC for example trying not to compete with apple but released new products in different categories. Samsung recently has made a huge push towards VR gaming. I just think the other smartphone OEM's are a bit scared. IMO

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
HTC made money last quarter, I don't think they're going to give up on android phones.

Android has a larger marketshare, that is there are more android phones out in the wild then iPhones. Why pull up tent stakes because Apple had a great quarter.

Basically, you're saying that everyone else should give up because apple has them beat. I think that's wrong, as many people prefer choice and others do not like iPhones.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Personally I feel that the competition is great for both platforms. If we have a runaway success with little competition, Apple would become (as they have in the past) complacent and less likely to incorporate features that people are asking for.

I love what Android has done for the iPhone.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The uptick for iPhones is because 4.7" and 5.5" are a new thing while Android has had it for years. If anything Android manufacturers are too future proof. There will be another uptick with iPhone 6S with 2GB DRAM then iPhone 7 with pen input, iPhone 7S with AMOLED, etc. All of which Android has had since 2011. Not great for Android manufacturer sales but awesome for consumers since it means we're already future proof for another two years since 2012. ;)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Hasn't Samsung been doing many different things? Fridges, TV's, etc.

Them venturing into VR, fitness, etc. probably has little to do with Apple's larger iPhones released in 2014, and more with them growing their products.

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
Last year, and the one before that, Apple did not have 50% smartphone activations in the quarter of their respective years' iPhone launch. Yet Apple did not let their interest divert to other products/categories, right? While Apple can learn something from Android every once in a while, Android also has a few things to learn from Apple.

I personally believe that there are still untrodden territories where both Android as well as Apple have yet to go viz optical zoom, a practical battery life, making the water resistance feature as main stream, taking the display and the gestures to the next level, taking the interface to the next level, an alternative to the now archaic password system, and many more.

By competing with each other, unknowingly everyone one is contributing in taking the smartphone technology to new heights - sometimes even beyond its era. (Yes Microsoft this includes you too :))

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Now that apple has released 2 bigger "android" sized iPhones and after apple has grabbed just about 50% of new smartphone activations since the launch of these 2 new iPhones anyone think that the other smartphone manufactures are going to put more interest in other things besides their smartphone? Like I see HTC for example trying not to compete with apple but released new products in different categories. Samsung recently has made a huge push towards VR gaming. I just think the other smartphone OEM's are a bit scared. IMO
I think this in the wrong section. You can pat yourself on the back in the iphone section. :) As others have pointed out Samsung was into electronics and other products LONG before Apple released phones Steve Jobs said were not the correct size......

----------

Last year, and the one before that, Apple did not have 50% smartphone activations in the quarter of their respective years' iPhone launch. Yet Apple did not let their interest divert to other products/categories, right? While Apple can learn something from Android every once in a while, Android also has a few things to learn from Apple.

I personally believe that there are still untrodden territories where both Android as well as Apple have yet to go viz optical zoom, a practical battery life, making the water resistance feature as main stream, taking the display and the gestures to the next level, taking the interface to the next level, an alternative to the now archaic password system, and many more.

By competing with each other, unknowingly everyone one is contributing in taking the smartphone technology to new heights - sometimes even beyond its era. (Yes Microsoft this includes you too :))
^^^ this is a great post!^^^ Competition is a great thing. there is still a lot of innovating/improving left to do......

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I would love if apple's successes could somehow finally get google to kick carrier involvement in the phone's software to the curb

all it does is create bugs and delays with updates

wifi calling is the only legit carrier "app" so to speak IMO, which apple has now implemented themselves anyway

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I would love if apple's successes could somehow finally get google to kick carrier involvement in the phone's software to the curb
It will never happen, Android is "open source" in that google releases the source code and its the carriers who then roll out updates if they wish.

Its a horrible business model imo, Microsoft seeing seeing this rolled out windows phones closer to how apple does it.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
It will never happen, Android is "open source" in that google releases the source code and its the carriers who then roll out updates if they wish.

Its a horrible business model imo, Microsoft seeing seeing this rolled out windows phones closer to how apple does it.

I hear you, but it's really the OEMs that are doing the work after Google releases the code. The carriers just muck it up, they are not competent enough to make a build for any given device :p

Apparently nexus 6 updates are withheld currently if you have an att sim in your phone, so you need to swap in an inactive T-Mobile sim or something in order to get OTAs. You can always sideload the OTAs no matter what, but it is such bs :(

Stuff like this keeps me from recommending android to the unsavvy

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Might want to re-examine the data. Apple had a gangbuster quarter, but still lags very, very far behind Android in marketshare. And Samsung has been a company in diversified consumer products long before Steve Jobs was even born. Think you should be on the AppleInsider forums. You'd feel at home in their ápple-centric way of thinking.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 155

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Being scared is a good thing. Nothing wrong with it.

Regardless, IMO, if the iPhone 6 had a 4 inch screen, I still think the result of the activation study is the same. It's more about the power of the Apple brand.

----------

Might want to re-examine the data. Apple had a gangbuster quarter, but still lags very, very far behind Android in marketshare. And Samsung has been a company in diversified consumer products long before Steve Jobs was even born. Think you should be on the AppleInsider forums. You'd feel at home in their ápple-centric way of thinking.

To be fair, the activation study is more about the battle of hardware more so than the operating system. I doubt HTC, Motorola, LG, or the other smaller Android phone makers are dancing in joy that Android as a whole is more prevalent than iOS. It's only when they see their cut of the $$$$ that they will be happy. They're all envious of Samsung still.

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
^^^ this is a great post!^^^ Competition is a great thing. there is still a lot of innovating/improving left to do......

Thanks

all it does is create bugs and delays with updates

wifi calling is the only legit carrier "app" so to speak IMO, which apple has now implemented themselves anyway

I have a feeling that it may happen eventually. If you see today, the line between the OEM's version of Android and Vanilla Android is getting thinner day by day. Very soon Google may take over, pushing Android related updates separately and allowing carriers (sure can't avoid, its open source after all) to have their own 'bloatware' updates separately.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I'm gonna stick with Android because my phone is more than 3 times cheaper than the equivalent iPhone 6 Plus, has better specs, Lollipop etc.

And I can invest the difference in price in... Apple Stock :D

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada

Alright sir, to argue with facts here are the market share figures of iOS in the two months of October and November 2014 i.e. following the launch of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

As the data wasn't in a tabular format I prepared the table myself. For ease of comparison I used your market share data attachment, for the month ending September 2014. The data representing November 2014 can be found from this source: http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global/News/Apple-market-share-grows-across-Europe-US-and-China

Keynote.png

I guess Christmas data may further follow the upward trend?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Alright sir, to argue with facts here are the market share figures of iOS in the two months of October and November 2014 i.e. following the launch of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

As the data wasn't in a tabular format I prepared the table myself. For ease of comparison I used your market share data attachment, for the month ending September 2014. The data representing November 2014 can be found from this source: http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/global/News/Apple-market-share-grows-across-Europe-US-and-China

View attachment 526283

I think there will be a spike in market share for the iphone. This happens after every iphone release then evens out. But overall as a whole taking into account the whole year. IOS and the iphone is still very far behind.

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
Apple had a gangbuster quarter, but still lags very, very far behind Android in marketshare.

I think there will be a spike in market share for the iphone. This happens after every iphone release then evens out. But overall as a whole taking into account the whole year. IOS and the iphone is still very far behind.

I totally agree guys. But all I wanted to say was that iPhone 6,6+ were in greater demand than their previous iterations.

I don't believe the iOS may ever be able to truly surpass Android, one of the reasons being Android phones range from $100 to $1000 (off-contract).

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
OT but it is time I bragged about my new ip6.

I've had the ip4 for almost 5 years now, and I was reluctant about ip6, but when I asked my carrier my how much money my contract update was worth, it was half the money of a 645gb version, so I pulled the trigger.

Mind blown in terms of performance and screen real estate. I could never go back to the tiny ip4.

As many people stated, I also believed that apple was talking the android route and was against it at first, but finally I find that making it larger was a good move.

/OT

bubulol

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2013

View attachment 526283

Any explanation about Japanese market? Apple over dominates there :confused:
Do japanese love Apple more than their own mobile manufacturers (Sony, Sharp?)

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Markets where subsidies are used have higher Apple market share. Hence why only a few countries show Apple with any significant market share. Japan, UK and US usually being at the top of the list.

That said, Japanese do love iOS devices. I think in this particular market Apple would still have significant market share, even if subsidies were dropped.

----------

OT but it is time I bragged about my new ip6.

I've had the ip4 for almost 5 years now, and I was reluctant about ip6, but when I asked my carrier my how much money my contract update was worth, it was half the money of a 645gb version, so I pulled the trigger.

Mind blown in terms of performance and screen real estate. I could never go back to the tiny ip4.

As many people stated, I also believed that apple was talking the android route and was against it at first, but finally I find that making it larger was a good move.

/OT

Size was one of the major factors for me getting an iPhone 6 as well. Once I moved to Android back in 2011, there was no way I was going back to an iPhone until it had a screen of at least 4.5".

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Being scared is a good thing. Nothing wrong with it.

Regardless, IMO, if the iPhone 6 had a 4 inch screen, I still think the result of the activation study is the same. It's more about the power of the Apple brand.

----------

To be fair, the activation study is more about the battle of hardware more so than the operating system. I doubt HTC, Motorola, LG, or the other smaller Android phone makers are dancing in joy that Android as a whole is more prevalent than iOS. It's only when they see their cut of the $$$$ that they will be happy. They're all envious of Samsung still.

I seriously doubt it. I think they would of sold much less
as people were begging for a bigger phone from Apple.

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada

Productivity, ease of use comes before domestic brand affinity maybe? (just my guess - I personally love the Xperia Z designs, never owned it though)
Anyway S Korea is a bigger shocker. No foreign brand had gone beyond 20% market share in Samsung's home turf. Apple is at 33% since November 2014

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
It seems that Apple once more is producing the most successful phone of the current smartphone generation (although the fragmentation iphone 6 / iphone 6+ might allow a competitor to have a chance at this "achievement"), but anyone with a brain would have expected that. Of course Apple won't be able to compete with the vast multitude of smartphones that use Android. It is great for google to have that huge market domination =, but especially hardware wise I think that Apple are pretty safe for now (@Mich763: How's that Samsung s/wipe-fingerprint reader working so far?), while "market leaders" like HTC seem to be struggling at times.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
iPhone and iOS installed base isn't even in the 1B yet like Android. How is anyone scared? Maybe for HTC or others with only one market to cater to. Samsung, LG, Sony, Huawei, Lenovo, and many others have diversified products.

And Apple has the iOS market all to itself. It doesn't have to compete like OEM's within Android have to do. Samsung sold like 50M Galaxy S3's back in 2012. That is quite impressive considering Samsung had to compete with not only Apple but other Android OEM's using the same platform they are using.

Android is no longer lagging. If anything that is lagging, it is iOS. They are LAGGING behind in the most basic features and VALUE. Pain just to delete songs or photo albums by having to use iTunes. I have nothing really against Apple. They revolutionized the smartphone industry. Without iOS, we wouldn't have Android to be this good. I was there in the beginning for both platforms. Androids were pretty much garbage before 2012-2013. But now they are no longer lagging.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.