Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
What I Want From 1.1:

(1) Double-Tap Home Button Music Controls (which seem to be coming)
(2) Double-Tab Space Bar for Period on Keyboard (which is in Touch, so should be coming as well)
(3) Chapter Marker Selection Pulldown Menu for Movies (doubt it is coming)
(4) The iPod Touch Dock like Leopard

I obviously want other things, Radio, Finder, Games, iChat...etc...but none of that seems destined for this update.

I wouldn't completely dismiss the idea of MMS showing up also. I think europe will be less understanding than the average american consumer about this not being included.

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

ben5959 said:
the clock icon is set for 9:42! is this just a continuation of always using 9:42 in all iPhone press pics, which i assume has some inside meaning for the marketing employees at apple?

or is it a live icon, showing the current time at all times? does this mean we might see a live weather icon?

would be great.. now.. where's 1.1.1?? do i have to wait until 9:42am on monday?

I dont think it is possible for them to make a live weather icon. From my experience with the weather app, there sometime a three to four second lag when i click on the icon before the weather info pops up. Obviously this is due to the phone downloading the info over edge, but regardless, if they were to put this live icon on the home screen, it would create this possibility for a info downloading lag everytime you came back to the home screen.

I whish they could make this happen, but i dont thinks its really possible for them to add this on edge. :(

but couldn't they have the option for an auto update, every hour or so? just like email, I doubt an occasional update would decrease battery life considerably.

ben5959

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2007
touche

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

but couldn't they have the option for an auto update, every hour or so? just like email, I doubt an occasional update would decrease battery life considerably.

touche salesman,
its so simple that i didn't think of it, i think that would work great and be totally awesome:)

bobsiphone

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

SirOmega said:
I think it's funny they did that whole walk-through on how to find your serial number when it's simply printed on the back of the phone. Maybe Apple is playing with us :)

Maybe you can read that tiny print, but I cant. I had to read the SN off once for customer service and I told the guy there was no way I could read that small print and he directed me to Settings > About > ... so I could read it there.

hold your iPhone horizontally and the printed serial number on the back enlarges ;)

Me1000

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2006
there sometime a three to four second lag when i click on the icon before the weather info pops up. Obviously this is due to the phone downloading the info over edge, but regardless, if they were to put this live icon on the home screen, it would create this possibility for a info downloading lag everytime you came back to the home screen.

or it could be that it is grabbing all the data for the whole week...

by my count it loads 20 extra things that it wouldnt if it was just changing the icon.

but checking ever hour or 2 would be the best option anyway...

mani

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
To everyone saying the iPhone would need FCC approval for 3G:
Well, not if it's going to be a EU only feature. :D

But after all, Apple doesn't have the guts to give Europeans a unique feature.

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
The feature I'd like added in this next firmware would definitely be iChat support. ( AIM / MSN , etc )

Maybe a fix for the buggy laggy camera?

The doubletap and doublespace functions are a no brainer.... just wish for something big! :D

Nanaki

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
Wirelessly posted (iphone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1C28 Safari/419.3)

hold your iPhone horizontally and the printed serial number on the back enlarges ;)

I'm a young guy with pretty good eyesight (with contact on) and I couldn't read the last digit (8). It kept saying "please input a valid serial #. It was only until I did the walkthough's way that I saw the last digit was in fact NOT an 8, but the letter B.

Hopstretch

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2006
I reckon this is going to be a carrot-and-stick update.

Carrot: New features. Chat etc., maybe landscape mode for mail.app.

Stick: Breaks SIM unlocks for sure. Probably also breaks many other 3rd-party hacks. The new, harder-to-penetrate iPod Touch software guts are probably the clue here.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
To everyone saying the iPhone would need FCC approval for 3G:
Well, not if it's going to be a EU only feature. :D

But after all, Apple doesn't have the guts to give Europeans a unique feature.

Apple wouldn't do that only because they'd have too much of an issue with people importing them, plus don't forget that Euro people traveling to the USA on business would use the phone too. Almost phones that might make it here for any length of time get a rubber stamp from the FCC, and a 3G iphone would definitely be imported and used here.

So even if they did give Europe the unique feature, at some point they'd have to show the FCC.

kudogger10

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2007
no i mean i was thinking of buying the iphone today...and then say next week they release new feature of ichat or something...will i simply be able to update my iphone so i can do it too...or will it be a whole new piece of hardware that is 400 dollars....???
thanks

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
no i mean i was thinking of buying the iphone today...and then say next week they release new feature of ichat or something...will i simply be able to update my iphone so i can do it too...or will it be a whole new piece of hardware that is 400 dollars....???
thanks

Any software/firmware updates as of now can be done on all iphones, since there is only one kind of hardware. They are not going to release a whole new iphone when they release the firmware update. So it will work on an iphone you buy today.
There are no specific rumors or timelines about any new hardware coming out in the next few months.

hmljcr

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
What I hope 1.1 does...

- fix the low volume problem. I've got no problem with the volume when I use a bluetooth headset/supplied headphones but I can barely hear anything when I'm holding the phone to my ear. This is pretty frustrating.

- an updated SMS app. The SMS app, as it is now, is terrible. It's almost as if Apple spent so much time developing mobile Safari that they forgot about SMS. A £30 Nokia could do a better job. A character counter, ability to use the program in landscape mode, and allowing users to choose a normal way of browsing messages (instead of the annoying childish speech bubbles) would be very welcome.

- better VPN (i.e. Cisco/IPsec integration). This is the most common VPN protocol used, especially in colleges/universities. Apple would be doing a lot of students a massive favour if they got this working properly.

To me, a phone only needs to do two things: make calls, and send texts. Right now, the iPhone fails on both fronts; yet excels at doing everything else.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the iPhone. But it could so easily be a huge amount better with very little effort on Apple's part.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
To me, a phone only needs to do two things: make calls, and send texts. Right now, the iPhone fails on both fronts; yet excels at doing everything else.

And you have an iPhone because...? :confused:

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but if all you expect from a phone is the phone and text messages then why waste the $$$ on an iPhone when you could get a basic phone for a lot less, maybe even for free. Maybe I'm just missing something.

While I agree that the text message app needs some work, I think the phone part does the job 100x better than my old Motorola.

My predictions (wishlist) for 1.1(.1):

-MMS Text Messages
-Video Capture (maybe even the ability to upload straight to YouTube over WiFi)
-Ability to read PDF liner notes
-Hack-less 3rd Party Apps (I don't care how they're delivered, we just need them)
-A Better Recents Menu separated into incoming and outgoing (I'm an organization freak)

hmljcr

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2007
And you have an iPhone because...? :confused:

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but if all you expect from a phone is the phone and text messages then why waste the $$$ on an iPhone when you could get a basic phone for a lot less, maybe even for free. Maybe I'm just missing something.

Because if you own an iPod, a PDA and a phone, why not try and have them all in one device, if possible? Why carry three devices when you can have just one?

My point is, the iPhone does a great job at performing the iPod and PDA functions (which is what I wrote in my original post). It performs its phone functions pretty poorly though, and that's extremely frustrating.

volboi85

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2007
tennessee speeds

Johnson City. Hmm, we're only like 50 miles apart. I retested it and it got around 128, but then I retested it again and it was 84. Seems pretty random.

I'm in Knoxville, and my current speed is 180, average for the last 24 hours of 155, and all time 128... and to be honest the AT&T coverage here isn't the greatest, so I would have figured slower speeds...

gcortega

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2007
Do u guys think this next update is going to give us iChat becuase thats all I really want. Its been a while , apple man, HOOk It up homie!!!

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Do u guys think this next update is going to give us iChat becuase thats all I really want. Its been a while , apple man, HOOk It up homie!!!

I certainly hope so. My old cell phone (a cheapo Motorola) had an AIM client, so I don't understand why such an advanced phone such as iPhone doesn't have this.

DeathChill

macrumors 68000
Jul 15, 2005
I have to agree about the iPhone's basic phone functionality sucking as well as its inability to do MMS or record video. I hope that they actually begin addressing these issues with the updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.