Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Not sure if anyone has seen this--on Apple's LivePage, the following is one of the images, citing the WiFi iTunes Music Store as being available on iPhone and iPod Touch.

Hopefully this means the update really is coming soon.

Uh, yeah, if they don't pull it within an hour, I think you're right. I never use the Start Page but tons of people just leave it as their default home page, and a whole lot of iPhone users are going to see that and be like why doesn't my iPhone do that? Call Apple support, call Apple Stores, tie up lines, generally be confused, generally be miffed. So if they're calling it available on iPhone and not coming soon to iPhone on the Start Page, it looks like this afternoon stateside time zones is a good bet.

Bostonian1976

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
Uh, yeah, if they don't pull it within an hour, I think you're right. I never use the Start Page but tons of people just leave it as their default home page, and a whole lot of iPhone users are going to see that and be like why doesn't my iPhone do that? Call Apple support, call Apple Stores, tie up lines, generally be confused, generally be miffed. So if they're calling it available on iPhone and not coming soon to iPhone on the Start Page, it looks like this afternoon stateside time zones is a good bet.

nah - link to it - it will take you to the itunes wifi section where it says "later this month"

who knows...

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island

Well, it's been over an hour and it's still there.

from that page...

Well, today counts as later in the month. :rolleyes:

C'mon Apple, that space between the Settings and iPod icons is starting to look empty. And I have $10 in iTunes credit just waiting to get spent. :p

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
This is obviously waiting on the UK press event. It's really a matter of whether they decide to release it this evening-ish stateside time zones, after UK business is thoroughly closed for the day, or they decide to release it stateside several hours after the UK event when Apple headquarters opens for business Tuesday morning.

You're right, though, about "later in the month". Apple has detectable patterns how they loosely announce release dates. Coming this spring means June, maybe a few days before official start of summer. Likewise, available this fall, the last couple of days before winter officially begins.

If Jobs had meant end of September, by the pattern he would have said "coming to iPhone before October" or "before next month", which would have meant the 28th, last business day before October. Later in the month, according to Apple speak, usually means about 10 days to 2 weeks from the day its mentioned.

In my opinion, there's no way they'll roll out the new features in the UK without doing the stateside update within several hours before or after the UK announcement. And there's no way they'll announce in the UK without the WiFi Store on there. Remember, they're losing revenue every minute a million iPhones can't buy on the WiFi Store -- in fact, I think if they were having problems with other parts of the update, they would just strip them out and only do the WiFi Store to get it deployed. So this thing is done, they just have set a time they're going to release it. A time we don't know. 7 or 8 EDT today wouldn't surprise me (Appleinsider mentioned a source said "as early as Monday", which would of course mean the source said some time Monday and Appleinsider is just hedging). Mid-evening EDT is late enough not to waffle the UK announcement, but early enough avid iPhone owners will already have it when they wake up and the details of the UK announcement are clear -- or they can immediately grab it before heading to work. Also late enough that if there are problems there are only very few active hours left before support and engineering open again Tuesday morning.

Well, it's been over an hour and it's still there.

Well, today counts as later in the month. :rolleyes:

C'mon Apple, that space between the Settings and iPod icons is starting to look empty. And I have $10 in iTunes credit just waiting to get spent. :p

lampcov

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think the update is tied to the announcement at all (though I hope I'm wrong). Here's why...

If the iPhone ISN'T going on sale tomorrow in the UK then why would they need to release the firmware in the US tomorrow? It's not like the UK users would have the jump on the US feature wise.

Apple announced the Touch with wifi Store and didn't update the iPhone, then Touch hit the stores with Wifi Store, still no iPhone update. The Sept 28th ship date was an Apple.com date, not overall release date as we have seen.

It's my guess that we will see the update either with the release (not announcement) of the iPhone on a European carrier, OR whenever Jobso is darn good and ready.

Again, I hope I'm wrong...But if this new firmware is like the Touch, with all the issues holding up Jailbreak on it, I'm in no great rush to lose my 3rd party apps, unless there is something much bigger than WiFi iTunes...perhaps iChat or PLEASE Exchange Support.

Just my uninformed 2 cents... (2p)

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
I don't think the update is tied to the announcement at all (though I hope I'm wrong). Here's why...

If the iPhone ISN'T going on sale tomorrow in the UK then why would they need to release the firmware in the US tomorrow? It's not like the UK users would have the jump on the US feature wise.

Apple announced the Touch with wifi Store and didn't update the iPhone, then Touch hit the stores with Wifi Store, still no iPhone update. The Sept 28th ship date was an Apple.com date, not overall release date as we have seen.

It's my guess that we will see the update either with the release (not announcement) of the iPhone on a European carrier, OR whenever Jobso is darn good and ready.

Again, I hope I'm wrong...But if this new firmware is like the Touch, with all the issues holding up Jailbreak on it, I'm in no great rush to lose my 3rd party apps, unless there is something much bigger than WiFi iTunes...perhaps iChat or PLEASE Exchange Support.

I do agree with you, i am having my skepticism about tomorrow bringing any new updates. It just doesn't make sense to me. Unless it was released then it would make some sense, still, i have my doubts, but heres to hoping im wrong!

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
I'd argue you based on the merits of lost revenue. They will at least get the WiFi Store out as soon as possible, as there are many more iPhones in the market now to use it than iPod touches.

I'd also argue that it's not because it will go on sale in the UK tomorrow, but because they will demo the new features -- and probably have the updated feature models on display in the Apple Stores in London -- and if they are showing off the new features as part of the iPhone package, and the features are obviously ready to go, they'll release it to the people who already have iPhones.

But I don't have to argue these points. Jobs said later this month for at least the WiFi Store for iPhone. No EU carrier will launch by the end of this month; announce, but not sell. So considering that, 15 minutes from now is as good as 30th Sept.

Plus the shots of the iPhone for the rebate program showed firmware 1.1.1 which means it's out there and it's very likely out there on production units.

I think we're all just getting a negative attitude because we really expected it Friday after iPod touches unexpectedly hit retail stores. I still say tonight, or at the latest first thing tomorrow morning Pacific Time. But it may not include much more than Home button configuration, the WiFi Store and the international keyboard layouts. Other big features may be delayed until closer to Christmas -- to push holiday buyers off the fence.

Really, I just want the WiFi Store -- anything else right now is just a perk, so I won't be upset if that's all we get.

mcsoko

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2007
Madison, WI
Please Steve, I can't take it anymore! :D

I have high hopes, but will prolly be disapointed. Mostly because I am hoping that we get iChat, but I would take MMS as a second prize though.

Wonder when we will see really big improvements like being able to save images from the web and use them as backgrounds/slideshows, folders in Mail, custom sounds for new messages, etc.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I heard from a reliable source what the announcements today will be.

Part 1: The iPhone is being shelved, just like the Cube. No more software updates, sorry. Europe wouldn't play along, so they quit.

One More Thing: Steve is kicking Leopard up a notch. That means they're skipping 10.5 completely, since they haven't had time to work on it, and are going straight to 10.6, complete with brand new features such as resolution independence, and home on ipod. Available October 2008.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
Please Steve, I can't take it anymore! :D

I have high hopes, but will prolly be disapointed. Mostly because I am hoping that we get iChat, but I would take MMS as a second prize though.

Wonder when we will see really big improvements like being able to save images from the web and use them as backgrounds/slideshows, folders in Mail, custom sounds for new messages, etc.

I think because of the two-year carrier contracts, the high cost -- even still with the price cut -- the required contract extension if you activate a new iPhone, the new activation fees, etc., it will be difficult to sell most customers new iPhones every year or so like they can iPods, even with some significant hardware feature updates. Each iPhone model has a life cycle more like a computer, 3 - 5 years, than a trendy luxury item like an iPod -- not that the iPhone isn't trendy, too -- or run-of-the-mill mobile phones, which are cheaper, easier to use unlocked and people will change out more often. Therefore Apple will have less motivation to put out two new revised models every year, and the only way to keep people interested, so when they are ready to buy a new smartphone they again buy an iPhone, is to spread out the feature enhancements so they feel like they are continuing to get new and useful features over at least the life of the contract.

You want people's fascination, via software feature updates, with their current iPhone models to run out 6 - 12 months after the contract expires but not after only six months, so they have a continuity of "new toy" experience until they'll buy the latest model and re-up with AT&T for another two years.

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA

Part 1: The iPhone is being shelved, just like the Cube. No more software updates, sorry. Europe wouldn't play along, so they quit.

One More Thing: Steve is kicking Leopard up a notch. That means they're skipping 10.5 completely, since they haven't had time to work on it, and are going straight to 10.6, complete with brand new features such as resolution independence, and home on ipod. Available October 2008.

Funny. Anyway, I think Home on iPod is dead for good. Affordable flash memory will begin to approach reasonable lower end micro-HDD capacities, but it will be too late because of all the massive amounts of high quality video and such people are now storing on their computers.

overcast

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2007
Rochester, NY

gtfo.

Nall

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2003
Yeah, everyone already bills MMS at MMS rates or on SMS plans, anyway. There's already a billing structure for it. I don't why they didn't do it, unless it was just a hold-back, maybe until they enable video clip recording on the camera so they can say, "You can now record short videos and send them to your friend's e-mail at home, his iPhone, or if he's not with-it enough to have an iPhone yet, to any MMS-capable mobile phone." You know the rap.
I can only assume MMS is the new two-button mouse.

Anyway, I'm sick of waiting for the update for something the iPod touch already has. Yes, I'm whining, but they could drop this thing at 4 or 5 this afternoon Pacific Time and not give anything away for the UK press event.
Wrong. The protection on the iPhone OS download has been cracked, so if European iPhones are shipping with this version of the software, people might find about who-is-carrying-it before the official announcement. Which is precisely the sort of the thing Apple would wait to prevent.

FreeState

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2004
San Diego, CA
Wrong. The protection on the iPhone OS download has been cracked, so if European iPhones are shipping with this version of the software, people might find about who-is-carrying-it before the official announcement. Which is precisely the sort of the thing Apple would wait to prevent.

Why would they include the files for that now instead of just using an update right before the European version ships, after all I doubt its shipping for at-least another month - which will have at-least one update (there has been one per month so far).

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
Why would they include the files for that now instead of just using an update right before the European version ships, after all I doubt its shipping for at-least another month - which will have at-least one update (there has been one per month so far).

i don't know why everyone seems to think the euro iphone won't be shipping for another month or so.. why would apple have the u.k. event in an apple store, if it's not going to be available to buy at that apple store directly after? i think they'll be selling the iphone at noon gmt tomorrow.

klimegreen

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2007
one release?

I hear that Apple's 1.1.1 iPhone release is a "world" release... meaning one set of software for AT&T in the US and its European carrier(s). So it should come out coincident with the availability of the iPhones in Europe. We shall see...

-
Sammy / with iPhone

sanford

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2003
Dallas, USA
I can only assume MMS is the new two-button mouse.

Well, you know, it's 6:30 in the evening local time for me now and I've other things to do until I go to bed in several hours, so I'm perfectly glad to go along with you that the update won't be released until tomorrow after the UK announcement, as by the time I wake up the whole UK show will be either just starting or just over -- I get up early -- and the update will either be released or imminent, so none of today's hoping for a release today matter any more.

It does, frankly, make sense to hold off the whole stateside update deal, potential carrier information, new features, etc., until right after the UK announcement around 4 AM my time. For all I know they have employees set up at headquarters to be there to post the update in the middle of the night Pacific Time so we get it as soon as the UK announcement wraps up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.