Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

639me

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
tromsø, the arctic
my guess is the iFPGA is the ability to let hardware take use of and configure the iphone through the dock connector. maybe even configure more than one iphone spontanously to build a bonjour supercomputer on the fly. medical hardware, anti terror - , or even terror hardware, etc.. :confused::eek:

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
"He speculates that "iFPGA" may be a device that utilizes a field-programmable gate array."

Gee whiz, either these devs watch a little too much sci fi channel or i'm not that bright......

Probably the latter

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
I could be wrong but I don't think we'll see any FPGAs in consumer products from Apple. They're mostly used in prototypes or reference hardware to aid in rapid development as they don't need to fab an actual chip. Once they find a design they like, they can take the logic inside the FPGA and fab it into a static chip.

Yeah, I realize I wasn't clear on this. An FPGA is just a way to quickly try out an idea without an expensive, time-consuming fab process.

Why wouldn't it?

The existence of one revision on the device implies no other revisions are on there. The firmware would make provisions for what hardware it could be on (hence iphone 2,1 3,1). There's no point for a firmware revision to refer to revisions of itself.

tobian

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2007
Prague
shortcuts

like PDA.. i believe "iFPGA" is " iFuture Portable Gadget from Apple ".. like the SafariPad. USBDeviceConfiguration.plist lists products, not the technical ways of using a product!

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
You're comment about hitting the netbook market with its own product and standing out is exactly what I'm talking about. Imagine how much growth there is in a high-end $600-$700 touch screen "netbook."
If Apple can do a $599-$699 "netbook" (large-iPod tablet) that can do MORE, giving us something EXTRA, would be an incredible event and product. They would do extremely well, and I believe Apple will deliver something like that since offering a mediocre but expensive netbook experience isn't how Apple has made its money.

The EXTRA is touchscreen and a new format of a device, but I don't think that alone would do it. They have to expand the function, which hopefully is writing and data entry for work.

Image a 1.6 Atom or even better maybe even an Atom-like processor with 2 cores... low level nVidia graphics (9100?) or intel 950 level.
That's good enough for some movie watching, low level photoshop or even higher level given enough time...
You could do the stylus writing even with an Atom processor although I don't know if they go that route.....

It would be really great. For my wants (and lots of other people's desires) I would love a stylus for paint, draw, and vector images. There's no reason these processors can't do it. Slower processors have been running PS for a couple decades now.

Searching through the rumors (assuming they filter through some reality) it seems older ones going back to 2003 were more about a full OS tablet. As we come forward from iPhone release the rumors switched to a more slimline iPod Touch format. All the more specific rumors seem to point to fairly capable devices, however a rather recent rumor claimed Apple is releasing a device to compete with netbooks and PSP type gaming devices. If they are more interested in that market and people with that kind of spending, we are looking at the possibility of a fairly limited device aimed at being unique but inexpensive. Bah.

In terms of connectivity ... maybe 1 USB + 30 pin connect. They can sell adaptors to connect a 30-pin to MDP or DVI...
I think the key is running OSX + AppStore Apps.
USB isn't needed if there is a Bluetooth inside, for hooking up to wireless devices like headphones, keyboards, mice. That will save costs of engineering, materials, and so forth, allowing the new device to be thinner and lighter. Ultimately, market enthusiasm will come from the abilities of the OS and computing, as long as there is a way to get info in and out conveniently.

Note the new Air, which eliminated almost all ports. Apple is feeling its way along a gradual trimming and streamlining of lower end products. We'll see what they come out with in a few months, hopefully.

paja

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2006
This type of thread is where "I am So Disappointed" threads begin. Let the snowball towards utter disillusionment begin (again).

I agree. It will probably end up being an Apple Digital Book Reader like the Kindle.

Seriously hope not, but I've learned to keep my expectations way down the last few years.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
I know for the fact that next gen iPhone is referenced, but my speculation, one of the product might also reference to next gen :apple:tv, (I know Apple is doing more integration with Apple TV and other Apple Devices) and other product might be another new iPod, could be the hard drive based iPod touch, (since Apple do believe that touch screen is the future of the iPod)

Netbook, I think that might be the next gen MacBook Air, or could it be MacBook Air nano, a smaller, yet more lightweight, and more affordable netbook.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I think this is easier to see in a list:

0x1290 iPhone1,1 - iPhone
0x1291 iPod1,1 - iPod touch
0x1292 iPhone1,2 - iPhone 3G
0x1293 iPod2,1 - iPod touch 2G
0x1294 iPhone2,1
0x1295 iProd0,1
0x1296 iPod2,2
0x1297 iPhone3,1
0x1298 iFPGA
0x1299 iPod3,1

Interestingly, if the products continue to be released in order (by 0x####), iProd will be released before the 3rd generation iPod touch in September.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008

0x1294 iPhone2,1
0x1295 iProd0,1
0x1296 iPod2,2
0x1297 iPhone3,1
0x1298 iFPGA
0x1299 iPod3,1

Interestingly, if the products continue to be released in order (by 0x####), iProd will be released before the 3rd generation iPod touch in September.
Good way of looking at things, and good catch too. But if they were announced/released at the same time, wouldn't one of them still be after another in the list?

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
Yes. Even so, this means we will see the iProd very soon. (Very soon = before the end of the year)

tgildred

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2007
CattleProd.jpg

iProd.

Thanks for making my day... :D

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007

0x1294 iPhone2,1
0x1295 iProd0,1
0x1296 iPod2,2
0x1297 iPhone3,1
0x1298 iFPGA
0x1299 iPod3,1

Only one of these is true, the others are there to mess with your mind! :cool:

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I'm personally not fussed by the new iprod or ifpga too much. I am only waiting for the new iPhone. I suspect the iprod and ifpga are development devices, but hopefully I'm wrong.

As someone mentioned earlier, apple can make spring seem to go very slow! (I even typed slowly then imagining how slow the wait until summer will be.) It's getting late I must sleep.

cessna2526

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
if i sign up to be a developer to get the 3.0 software ahead of time will it disable my iphone as a phone, just to test apps? or will i just be getting the 3.0 ahead of time for $100? how many license will i get for 3.0? (i dont want to get in to create apps)

webs

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2009
Bump!
Guys, Safari 4 Beta is an answer! Tablet waits for us. How do thing why Apple made bookmark browsing that way? With thumbnails? For Multitouch input.
Sorry for my bad English. I'm Russian=)

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Bump!
Guys, Safari 4 Beta is an answer! Tablet waits for us. How do thing why Apple made bookmark browsing that way? With thumbnails? For Multitouch input.
Sorry for my bad English. I'm Russian=)

Nah, you're fine. There are plenty of non-English speakers here.

You point makes sense. However, coverflow is coming to everything, and might not necessarily have anything to do with a tablet... or maybe it does. :p

BeanieRobert200

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2008
Nah, you're fine. There are plenty of non-English speakers here.

You point makes sense. However, coverflow is coming to everything, and might not necessarily have anything to do with a tablet... or maybe it does. :p

I'm not sure if webs was referring to that, I think he/she means Top Sites. I can really see Top Sites being used with multitouch.

celebi23

macrumors regular
May 31, 2004
CT
Not sure if this was covered or not but, to gain access to this info, wouldn't you need a decrypted firmware DMG? If anyone has the vfdecrypt key, please shoot me a PM (Yes, I'm a legit paying iPhone Dev. Been one since late last March)

sd2009

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2008
Not sure if this was covered or not but, to gain access to this info, wouldn't you need a decrypted firmware DMG? If anyone has the vfdecrypt key, please shoot me a PM (Yes, I'm a legit paying iPhone Dev. Been one since late last March)

Couldn't you just jailbreak and look at the files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.