Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paran

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
I spoke with one of the reps this morning after getting declined twice last night. He said I'll have to call them back later once the full file is entered into the system. One interesting thing I learned is that the credit score does not affect this loan. This makes sense since I myself have a pretty good credit score among many others on this forum and other forums who were declined with great credit score. He says what they look for are things like "30-60-90 day payment history (idk what this means)," "history of bankruptcy," etc. he also mentioned that since it is an automated system, any demographics/billing info (name, address, and all the other personal information) have to match perfectly, otherwise the system would reject the application. It appears that I'll just have to wait and call them back later.

Reactions: chiefsilverback

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I agree with you on this and it's basically how I look at it also. But there is the fact that your monthly carrier charge is less with a BYOD device. For me, with AT&T, the subsidized plan has me paying $40/month for service vs. the BYOD plan which is $15/month. So over 24 months, there is another $600 you need to account for. So that plus the $200 every 24 months I pay for a phone, is basically $800. Almost the same as buying the phone outright or financing with NEXT or AUP.

So for my plan, there's no such thing as bring your own device. My plan is priced whether I bring a phone or not, no difference. The only thing is that if I were to be on the Next plan, my price would go up per month because I'm now paying to upgrade in a certain time period.

Attachments

• ATT Bill Monthly Detail.pdf
    81.2 KB · Views: 135

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Well, it's Citizens bank which is a large, & very familiar bank to me, and it's zero % financing. I was going to pay full price when I got to the store. But the more I thought of it, the more I thought it was stupid to dump $900+ all at once when I could finance it for 24 months interest free, pay ~$34/mo (apple care included), and get the 7 next year with the same deal.
Good to hear that.

trading in - next year is another unknown at this point.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
So for my plan, there's no such thing as bring your own device. My plan is priced whether I bring a phone or not, no difference. The only thing is that if I were to be on the Next plan, my price would go up per month because I'm now paying to upgrade in a certain time period.
you are on old plan. the newer plans has discounts for being not on Contract...

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Am i the only one who misses 2 year contracts??? Never realized that apple.com went to ATT next only.

couple of reasons; apple average selling price is $600 to the carriers, and their are losing money selling iPhones. So all the carriers adjusted price of the plan and separated out contract and contract less monthly plans.

Att forced apple.com not to sell contract phones/plans so that they can make little money (activation/upgrade fees and so on).

2 year contracts are coming to end by all the carriers in few months anyway.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Not sure what you mean by "keep it at half" with the subsidized price. The subsidized price is not half. Verizon, for instance takes $25 off of your bill for going Month to Month. In fact, since my phone went Month to Month yesterday I called them and had them do it.

As far as the $40 is concerned it's a matter of principle. The Apple Upgrade program is supposedly designed to essentially cut the carrier from the transaction. But in practice it doesn't really do that. If I am buying the phone at full price, unsubsidized by the carrier, and all that needs to happen to make it work is for me to insert my current SIM why should I give Verizon $40 to "activate" my phone?

If you get a phone on the plans, such as this, you're paying at a rate of 1/2 the price of the phone in 1 year. You have two options at that point:

1) Turn the phone in for a new upgraded phone and start over paying for that new phone at the same rate or..

2) Keep the phone and at the end of 2 years, you would have paid full retail price of the phone.

If you get the phone on a 2year subsidized, you're paying half the retail price and just paying your monthly bill. The monthly bill shouldn't change because the plan prices are set regardless of the smart phone you bring in.

That's how my plan works anyway. Maybe there are different scenarios for other plans.

Scott38660

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
I had a really frustrating experience at the Apple Store last night too. Even though I have a credit limit of $5600 and a credit score of 730, my credit check failed with two cards... I wonder if it's possible to go back and return this phone, then buy one with the upgrade program. Any thoughts?

DustinLH00

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
Aurora, IL
He says what they look for are things like "30-60-90 day payment history (idk what this means)," "history of bankruptcy," etc.

That refers to how many times you have been 30, 60, and 90 days late on each of the trade lines on your credit report. Technically a late payment doesn't hurt you until it is 30 days late, at which point the counter gets hit.

Reactions: paran

paran

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
I had a really frustrating experience at the Apple Store last night too. Even though I have a credit limit of $5600 and a credit score of 730, my credit check failed with two cards... I wonder if it's possible to go back and return this phone, then buy one with the upgrade program. Any thoughts?
That's what I'm doing and it appears that many others are choosing this route as an alternative. Hope I can resolve this in less than 2 weeks...

Splazzatch

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I had the same issues. I went to purchase two phones through the upgrade program and was approved, then the card I used was declined. It is a credit card, with enough limit on there. However, it is the only card I carry. I almost had to leave without my phones. However, I asked the guy on a whim, can we use the verizon upgrade program? We did that, the same card worked perfectly! I think the guy was skeptical it would work. Honestly, I was terrified my card had been hacked or something so I was relieved when it worked. After buying the phones through Verizon I also bought an Apple Watch and a spare band and used the same card, and it worked perfectly! No idea why it wouldn't go through.

c00kies&apples

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Why don't people just pay for the phone upfront? Knowing we upgrade every year.... buying the phone outright has been simple for us.

Any suggestions on buying an unlocked phone for the same retail price and not deal with phone companies? Hopefully no tax too? I would like to own the 64GB iPhone 6s for $749 and not a penny more, then try pre-paid plans.

Reactions: WowAppleWow

c00kies&apples

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
So, I am a T-mobile customer on a prepaid plan, and had the appointment to purchase the iphone 6s and the IUP today. When time came they entered my account details and got back "you are not authorized to view this account". The Apple person helping me went to talk to the store manager and he said prepaid plans are not eligible for IUP, so they brought me a postpaid plan activation kit with T-mobile ($70/month or something) and told me I could get on the IUP by signing-up for that on the spot, or otherwise I'd have to just pay full price for the phone. I paid full price for the phone.
If prepaid customers are really ineligible, the information on the IUP on Apple's website is misleading at best, and dishonest at worst. Seems like a simple scam orchestrated with providers to get more people on their postpaid plans.

It also appears some people here with prepaid plans managed to get on the IUP, so it may vary with store management competency. Anyway, it would be great if someone here could clarify which type of plans are actually eligible for the IUP.
If I was a victim of a confused store manager, I would really like to still sign up for the IUP if T-mobile pre-paid plans are eligible. Kinda sucks to spend $1000 on a new gadget and leave the store with a sour mouth...

I was considering TMobile Jump installments but wanted prepaid, unfortunately they state that only post paid service customers can take adventage of installments. But, it may be that they will charge an extra $5 on taxes for their lease program. I am looking to save not spend more.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Any suggestions on buying an unlocked phone for the same retail price and not deal with phone companies? Hopefully no tax too? I would like to own the 64GB iPhone 6s for $749 and not a penny more, then try pre-paid plans.
you can buy it for FULL price? get the verizon phone which is unlocked.

not sure if you are asking or not

c00kies&apples

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
you can buy it for FULL price? get the verizon phone which is unlocked.

not sure if you are asking or not

It's pricey for sure, but after my calculations it seems the best to just pay upfront especially since I have 0% apr through my cc until next June. We end up paying full price either way, but at least this way I avoid the monthly hassle, risk of missing a payment, and perhaps any surprise taxes and fees on one of these leasing programs. Also, if going the Apple upgrade route, I do not think they give you the option to pay it off in the end if you decide to keep the phone.

Going with Verizon? I would like to avoid post paid plans. I have boycotted phone companies for 1.5 years using my older out if contract phone, but now would like to try a pre-paid plan.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
In America, credit cards are a step in credit. If you can responsibly manage a $2,500 credit card line, it's evidence that you can handle a $25,000 car loan and a $250,000 mortgage. In Europe, you simply can't get nice things like this.

I also seem to recall a massive disaster with Spanish mortgages...

Well I remember an even massive disaster with a USA subprime mortages.

If you don't have the money, then don't spend it. To be honest it has to do with the fact that in Europe it's pretty hard to get money or find quick jobs because everything is tied up by administrative rules and taxes at every cut. So if people where to have credit here they would all fall indebt we know way to repay it.

Edgar Spayce

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2015
So how do you explain Greece and the other massive bailouts? Entire governments on the verge of fiscal collapse.

Remember how it started? The US subprime crisis. It's your fault, but the world will eventually get back at you for this.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
There are only 5 states that don't have sales tax. If you don't live in one of them, then you are paying $45+ in sales tax.

Treq

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2009
Santa Monica, CA
Everyone–

TL;DR: Don't use Chase or Amex till further notice. Citizens One is aware and the the credit check is a hard inquiry still if you try.

Longer: I'll save the horrible in-store experience story, but after getting home (I ended up doing ATT Next, I can return and swap later if things change... May just buy it outright) I called Citizens One:

Currently -any- Chase visa card is not eligible for the program and neither is American Express. Irrelevant of Personal or Commercial. They are looking into it and taking "all feedback down". They expect to know more in 24 hours and will be calling me back. I'll update once the supervisor calls. To be honest, super friendly and short hold time.
Amex worked just fine for me. In and out in 20 min. Just after they opened on Friday.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Going with Verizon? I would like to avoid post paid plans. I have boycotted phone companies for 1.5 years using my older out if contract phone, but now would like to try a pre-paid plan.

Just the verizon iPhone, which has all the BANDS including CDMA (so it can work on any carrier and prepaid plans as well).

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
What a mess glad I didn't have to deal with this, woke up early and did it via AT&T Next Program. I would encourage all that had issues to let Apple know about it via the feedback link on their web site, maybe they will respond to you or throw you a bone. Either way do it!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

-Mike

Reactions: Jstuts5797

mtehonica

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2007

Ahh yeah, you're on an older plan and not on a newer mobile share plan so that makes sense.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Here is what has me a bit concerned about the Apple Upgrade program, and if anybody know the answer to this, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've read the terms and conditions http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/iphoneupgrade_us/ and it seems quite understandable until you get to the part about trading in your old phone. It says you have the "OPTION" to turn in you phone after 12 months and get a new phone and start the plan all over again. OKAY, fine.

But what if you DON'T want to turn in your phone at the 12 months and instead just want to wait out the next 12 months and eventually pay off your phone and keep it.
It doesn't say anything about being able to just keep your phone after the term is up.
In fact, at one point it even says "you must" turn in your old phone!

I know on the ATT NEXT plan, it clearly states that at the end of your term you can do nothing and keep your old phone, and at any time pay off your remaining balance and keep your phone. Why doesn't it say that on the Apple contract terms?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.