Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
This pricing is confusing, and it seems the apple upgrade program is significantly more expensive than a 2yr contract. For example, the cheapest apple upgrade program is $32.41/mo. That's $388.92 after 12 months. Afterwards, you have to give the phone back. Previously, with a 2yr contract, you paid $199 up front. After two years, you can even trade it in for credit, say $100. So after 2 years, you paid $99 ($199-$100).

The argument can be, fine, you're not locked into a contract. Ok, i can see that. So using the logic above, by avoiding the contract and choosing Apple's upgrade program, you end up paying $289.92 ($388.92-$99) extra to avoid an additional 12 months contract.

In other words, by doing the apple upgrade program, your paying $24.16/mo ($289.92 / 12) for the ability to upgrade every year versus every two years, and you get apple care included.

Am I missing something? IMO, not worth it.
Compared to all the other installment plans it is pretty much the same, except they also include Applecare. T-Mobile has a discount promotion they are currently running and Sprint has it's own promo. Before with 2 year contracts you were better off going with an installment plan because after 2 years you ended up paying more money. Obviously there are some other factors too but that was the general consensus.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Does anyone know if it's mandatory to get AppleCare+ on the Apple Upgrade Program or can you leave that off?

Einonnac

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Same thing happened to me. It even took 7 tries just to get my card to scan at all, then ineligible.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Only cost "a few hundred dollars" lol! You realize in the grand scheme of things your in a very very small minority that can buy cars and the such in full with cash right? Whoever said check your privilege is absolutely correct. Apple wants these in the hands of the majority... Otherwise the ecosystem would never work because there wouldn't be enough people on it to support it.

I don't have a lot - I don't waste what I have.

I'm using an 8 year old iMac right now, milking that $2000 investment for all it's worth. I go several generations between iPhones when upgrading. I've never owned a new car - every car I've ever bought was over 10 years old and under $4000.

If you can't buy an iPhone cash, you're either unemployed or you are spending way beyond your means in other areas.

WowAppleWow

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
DFW

I'm using an 8 year old iMac right now, milking that $2000 investment for all it's worth. I go several generations between iPhones when upgrading. I've never owned a new car - every car I've ever bought was over 10 years old and under $4000.

If you can't buy an iPhone cash, you're either unemployed or you are spending way beyond your means in other areas.
I agree with you 100% on this!

Reactions: Shanpdx

Titheon

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
I saw this "I have a 724 credit score...I was declined", and I had to Register and Comment....
(LONG time reader...a decade, first time poster)

A Credit Score of 740 or below is AVERAGE. I'm NOT surprised you were declined. To be honest, I'm completely surprised you expected to be approved. For example, you can't even be approved for a top tier auto lease with that score, which means you down get the advertised "preferred" lessee rates. Furthermore, the top rewards Credit Cards would decline you and advise something more to your less than satisfactory credit history. My advice to this person is to stop using Debit Cards and paying in cash. Build a real credit history.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Why don't people just pay for the phone upfront? Knowing we upgrade every year.... buying the phone outright has been simple for us.

I don't have a problem paying upfront but that doesn't get you int the upgrade program which gives free Apple care and first dibs on new iPhones next year. Why should I have to go with ATT again or pay more than others just because Citizen One and/or Apple are screwing up all over the country?

Reactions: WowAppleWow

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
Umm.... I don't quite agree. With a credit score of 700 or above, your score is high enough to be considered for several different home mortgage options. (With a 680 or above, you get "automatic approval" for a USDA loan, assuming you've met the other criteria such as annual income in the range they require and buying the property as a primary residence.)

This is a lousy PHONE lease, not a house!

I saw this "I have a 724 credit score...I was declined", and I had to Register and Comment....

A Credit Score of 740 or below is AVERAGE. I'm NOT surprised you were declined. To be honest, I'm completely surprised you expected to be approved. For example, you can't even be approved for a top tier auto lease with that score, which means you down get the advertised "preferred" lessee rates. Furthermore, the top rewards Credit Cards would decline you and advise something more to your less than satisfactory credit history. My advice to this person is to stop using Debit Cards and paying in cash. Build a real credit history.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
What you make in interest on 950 in one year is not worth the time of making a monthly payment. But thats just my opinion. Also if you have accounts that have a good rate of return.... a one time payment of 950 won't hurt you.
What about Apple care and the fact that you're eligible for new iPhone before any carrier stores or retailers can get them. To me that's actually worth paying more for.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
If you are having issues getting approved, the problem might be that most representatives at the store auto-fill the fields just before swiping your credit card and these default to the main line on your service provider account. I was shocked when my card did not go through 2 times until I realized that I had never input my personal information and so I asked the representative to go back two screens before all the terms and conditions and we found that all the fields had been filled with my father's information instead of my own which are not the same details attached to my credit card.

This should solve a lot of the issues having to do with credit approvals as they don't require amazing credit or anything for this type of loan.

They suggested calling the bank as that is what they default to but chances are that it's just mis-auto-filled information.
Can anyone even verify that different cards have different results? I haven't seen one post that claimed to have gotten approval after failing with one card and trying another card. The Apple person at the store told me that a lot of people were having these problems and when I asked them if I can try another card they told me it won't do any good because it's a credit check on me and not my various cards.

Reactions: paran

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

Do you even take into account that people can afford to by it outright, but have an issue with their credit, to the point where they are trying to rebuild it?

The housing crisis killed my credit completely, even though I'm making close to 6 figures/year. Buying the iPhone outright doesn't do a bloody thing to improve my credit, where the AUP would. But by your definition, I'm living beyond my means in other areas. That's a crock.

My point: you don't know anyone's financial situation to make boldfaced assumptions like the above, because in plenty of cases, you'd be completely wrong. So please keep those assumptions out of the thread, because you don't know.

BL.

Last edited:

CJarr

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
You mean you don't know the difference between a debit and credit card?
Seriously! ZipZap, I think we all know who the idiot is here. Thanks for being a constructive contributing member of society.
The issue is that citizens one will not accept payment from a credit card affiliated with a bank. I beleive I was quite clear in my origional post, not everyone is as stupid as you might think. The directions provided by apple on their website specify that you must use a personal credit card, and not a debit card. No distinction is made between bank affiliated credit cards or ones that have a bank name on them like Chase and non affiliated ones.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013

Wow and you still totally miss my point. I'm not arguing what's best financially for anyone. That's not what this post is about and everyone's financial situation is completely different. Just because someone can't or is unwilling to pay up front $900 in no way shape or form guarantees they are jobless or living above their means. That is a huge generalization that just doesn't hold up at all these days. Everyone has a different situation. Besides that, is that really any of your business? What you stay in rebuttal strikes me even more so as extreme elitism and privileged than your original post! Th fact of the matter is, this isn't about what YOU would do, or what you THINK others should do. The only person who knows what's best for them, is that individual person.

Do you even take into account that people can afford to by it outright, but have an issue with their credit, to the point where they are trying to rebuild it?

The housing crisis killed my credit completely, even though I'm making close to 6 figures/year. Buying the iPhone outright doesn't do a bloody thing to improve my credit, where the AUP would. But by your definition, I'm living beyond my means in other areas. That's a crock.

My point: you don't know anyone's financial situation to make boldfaced assumptions like the above, because in plenty of cases, you'd be completely wrong. So please keep those assumptions out of the thread, because you don't know.

BL.

AMEN! Assumptions is exactly what they are! Thank you! Only YOU know what YOU can afford!

megalaser

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2009
We pay $950 upfront then sell the old phones for $550. So we pay $400 per year and don't have to worry about these programs.
There's the risk factor in selling your phone on eBay, it always worries be that a scammer could use Paypal's or eBay's terms to steal the phone and get his money back . . . with this Apple program there's none of that risk or the long winded hassle of selling the phone on eBay.

KPandian1

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2013
But why pay full price for the phone if you know you're going to be with the carrier for 2years? Get the subsidized price and keep it at half. The $40 upgrade charge is nothing if you're paying an extra $3-400 for the phone anyway.

To have a fully unlocked phone, esp., if you travel!

Also, a very minor factor, the resale value.

Titheon

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
Umm.... I don't quite agree. With a credit score of 700 or above, your score is high enough to be considered for several different home mortgage options.

You are speaking of Secured lines of credit, which are much, much easier to acquire.
The Apple iPhone Upgrade Program is completely UNSECURED, which requires superior credit to be approved.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
You are speaking of Secured lines of credit, which are much, much easier to acquire.
The Apple iPhone Upgrade Program is completely UNSECURED, which requires superior credit to be approved.

:eek::eek: You have to have better credit to get a phone compared to a house??!!!

You have a beautiful new home!! So what do you think about that new iPhone? Um well I'm embarrassed to say, I don't know, for some reason I couldn't get approved for it.

pappy53

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2012
North Carolina--God's country

You are crazy. A 724 beacon score is excellent. They max out at 850.

WowAppleWow

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
DFW

BL.

What CCard company do you work for :)

Titheon

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
You have to have better credit to get a phone compared to a house??!!!
Exactly!!

People with below average credit can finance a home, because the house is collateral.
These same people can't get approved any type off of credit card because that is not a secured line of credit.

Another example...
Someone with poor credit can go finance a new $40k car at a high interest rate,
but cannot get approved for the no interest financing program special to go buy a new TV that's under $1,000.

Credit approvals are based on Risk.
A house or car can be repossessed, you iPhone would not be.
Remember, Citizens One is not financing an iPhone, they are simply providing a completely unsecured line of credit.

Titheon

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2015
You are crazy. A 724 beacon score is excellent. They max out at 850.
Depending on which Credit Score system you are using, FICO (combo), TranUnion, Experian, or Equifax, all of them differ.
Some max out at nearly 900.

724 is NOT Excellent, it is good, but not very good.
It takes a minimum of 740 to qualify for the top tier auto leases.
Some of the best reward credit cards (Citi Double Cash, AMEX Blue Cash, etc.) also require that minimum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.