Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
It is an outright assumption but here's my rationale. If I'd been working on something for a couple of months and if (as is the case for me and rumours suggest for the cracker) I wasn't a US Citizen and all of a sudden the FBI are desperate for my work, I'd want more than $1.5m for it.

The FBI wasn't in a good place. Not only was it shelling out for a costly legal battle but it was also facing a media and public backlash. Along I come with the solution, give me $20m and the whole story goes away.

If you want to get truly conspiracy theorist, it was Apple that did it. They didn't want a costly legal battle that they would probably ultimately lose but they also couldn't be seen to lose face in public or let their passionate consumers down. Voila, $1.5m problem sorted.
FBI doesn't shell out for anything. US Government pays the bills for the FBI. Just like for all federal agencies.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
"What makes you choose iPhone?"

Interesting I don't see any responses like "rubber band" scrolling or rounded corners or lag free ios experience or iTunes. Response I see are "because I'm locked into FT/imessage".

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom

Interesting I don't see any responses like "rubber band" scrolling or rounded corners or lag free ios experience or iTunes. Response I see are "because I'm locked into FT/imessage".
There are different responses to that if you look through the thread. I doubt many people these days choose a phone because of how it scrolls. Rounded corners are also adopted on nearly every phone in this day and age.

Most people I know with iPhones have them because they are easy to use and set up. FaceTime is a major feature for personal use and has replaced Skype for many. iTunes is disliked by quite a few on MR but I think it's quite an attractive piece of software in terms of how easy it is to back-up and restore a phone without using 3 or 4 different other methods combined.

Of course another major pull of the iPhone is its product design and branding. It's developed a cult status and is the defining phone of the last decade. For a lot of people it's the only choice based on that. The vast amounts of third party accessories available and how easily phones tend to sync to car media is also appealing. Customer support is another common reason in this thread.

Phones these days though are all pretty similar in quality. I wouldn't say to somebody to get one particular brand over another because we all have varied preferences.

Reactions: I7guy

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011

iOS has been getting more laggier from iOS7 to iOS9, there are countless threads about it. There has even been a lawsuit due to Apple making iPhone 4s unusably slow when iOS9 first came out. Certainly Apple's latest iOS isn't winning responsiveness/stutter-free awards to say the least.

The rubber band scrolling is actually not a good feature, it looks nice initially but in truth it has a considerable downside: suppose you know you want to tap something and the end of a list fast, you scroll fast and tap it, what happens? Your input is not registered, because the rubber band animation kicks in, blocking your input. The user has to wait until rubber band animation is done, and then tap the desired item.

On Android it's actually better, you scroll to the end and it gives you a visual cue, but there is no animation that blocks input nor any moving target, so you can tap immediately.

I'm surprised you cite iTunes as a positive factor, iTunes has a reputation of being too bloated. As recent as a last friday there was some news about Apple trying to fix it a bit, and just look at the general consensus, there are very strong negative opinions on it: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...with-new-sidebar-improved-navigation.1971464/

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
What makes you to choose an IPhone not an Android? I have IPhone just because of it's brand name. What reason do you guys have? please share.

I choose Android over iPhone so I'll list my primary reasons for choosing Android:
- Varied hardware options and price points - Widgets - App Drawer - Back button - Notification light.
Also, now that I've been using Android for a couple of years there's a bit of inertia influencing current and future purchases. At this point the only thing that strongly appeals to me about iPhone is Apple Health / HealthKit.

However, I do choose iPad over Android Tablets. Key reason is iOS having much better tablet apps than Android, particularly in niche categories that interest me.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

"Locked into" is a euphemism for well designed software that should be an industry model.
[doublepost=1462793759][/doublepost]
iOS has been getting more laggier from iOS7 to iOS9, there are countless threads about it. There has even been a lawsuit due to Apple making iPhone 4s unusably slow when iOS9 first came out. Certainly Apple's latest iOS isn't winning responsiveness/stutter-free awards to say the least.

The rubber band scrolling is actually not a good feature, it looks nice initially but in truth it has a considerable downside: suppose you know you want to tap something and the end of a list fast, you scroll fast and tap it, what happens? Your input is not registered, because the rubber band animation kicks in, blocking your input. The user has to wait until rubber band animation is done, and then tap the desired item.

On Android it's actually better, you scroll to the end and it gives you a visual cue, but there is no animation that blocks input nor any moving target, so you can tap immediately.

I'm surprised you cite iTunes as a positive factor, iTunes has a reputation of being too bloated. As recent as a last friday there was some news about Apple trying to fix it a bit, and just look at the general consensus, there are very strong negative opinions on it: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...with-new-sidebar-improved-navigation.1971464/
iTunes is basically fine, imo. Could use some tweaking here and there.

The latest beta is fine and probably will be gm soon.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

exactly....without the locked in part they would have no reason to stay. You don't hear that it is so good I would not WANT to leave.

Reactions: maxsix

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Out of curiosity can you tap to the top of a page on the Android platform these days? That's a useful action in my experience.

Samsung tried to implement that on the Note 4. It worked horrible and only on system apps. Doesn't bother me much since scrolling is so much faster than iOS, but it would still be nice to see it done right on Android.

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
iPhone 7 sketch allegedly leaked: looks very similar to the iPhone 6

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPho...ed-looks-very-similar-to-the-iPhone-6_id80897

dimensions-iphone-7.jpg

Reactions: jamezr and macfacts

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I thought I said that above.
yeah we got that you will stay no matter what. But the context was the majority of users claim imessage as the reason they stay. I thought the context was clear....
[doublepost=1462809431][/doublepost]
iPhone 7 sketch allegedly leaked: looks very similar to the iPhone 6

http://www.phonearena.com/news/iPho...ed-looks-very-similar-to-the-iPhone-6_id80897

dimensions-iphone-7.jpg

Not much seems to be changing. Some has even said the iPhone 7 will be remembered more for what it eliminates (headphone jack) than what it offers.

iSheep5S

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2013
Scotland
Is the back button on android really a big thing. Swipe back anywhere on iOS left to right. This from an android phone user with an iPad. I think that started with the iPod nano.

Just throwing that point in the mix.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
yeah we got that you will stay no matter what. But the context was the majority of users claim imessage as the reason they stay. I thought the context was clear....
[doublepost=1462809431][/doublepost]

Not much seems to be changing. Some has even said the iPhone 7 will be remembered more for what it eliminates (headphone jack) than what it offers.
The context wasn't clear and do you include yourself since you have an iPhone 6s+?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Is the back button on android really a big thing. Swipe back anywhere on iOS left to right. This from an android phone user with an iPad. I think that started with the iPod nano.

The back button is great for consistency of action (though I still find using it a bit inconsistent in result, i.e. sometimes it goes back to previous app, sometimes to home screen). I still prefer the swipe implementation on Apple as the back button can be an awkward reach depending how you're holding your phone (keep instinctively doing it on my Nexus 6P) but it's still not ubiquitous. Neither are perfect solutions in my eyes but appreciate how people might prefer either.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
The back button is great for consistency of action (though I still find using it a bit inconsistent in result, i.e. sometimes it goes back to previous app, sometimes to home screen). I still prefer the swipe implementation on Apple as the back button can be an awkward reach depending how you're holding your phone (keep instinctively doing it on my Nexus 6P) but it's still not ubiquitous. Neither are perfect solutions in my eyes but appreciate how people might prefer either.

I would like the consistent back action of android with the ios swipe :p (if the swipe back on ios worked in all apps that would be good enough for me, seems to rely on developer implementation)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
The context wasn't clear and do you include yourself since you have an iPhone 6s+?
the context was perfectly clear.......

exactly....without the locked in part they would have no reason to stay. You don't hear that it is so good I would not WANT to leave.

why would me owning a 6s+ have anything to do with it?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

After getting the s7 edge after a year away from android I find yes it is a damn good tool but because I have my 6s plus as well there are times when I'm pressing the home button twice and putting up the camera..oops

Reactions: iSheep5S

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.

So if I'm. In the photos gallery and I'm viewing individual pics, swiping left to right will show the next pic, and next perform the back function. This is the same in a lot of apps. You cannot replicate the back button feature in ios.no matter how much you want to..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.