Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
When I am using my iPhone, I constantly find myself tapping that empty space next to the home button. First, my mind is confused since nothing happens. Then I look down at that empty space and realize, "Crap, I'm on an iPhone." At which point I either have to look at the top left of the screen for a back button, swipe backward or have to tap the home button. It is a PIA sometimes, depending on the app I'm using to figure out what I need to do.
The back button is a significant and simple feature that should be utilized on all phones, including iPhones.
I do the same thing when switching between and any Android phone. I am constantly hitting the back button. Then remember there isn't one or it is way up at the top of the left hand side of the screen. Not a good implementation if you ask me. Having it at the bottom where your fingers/thumbs are naturally is the better solution imho.

Reactions: Lloydbm41

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
On iOS you can swipe down to go back to the gallery. Works on the stock photo app, Google Photos, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

My problem with the back button is that it's too general. If you follow a link onto a tweet for example, and it takes you to the Twitter app, blessing the back button will take you back to the Twitter main page instead of the app you want. On iOS, you have the home button, the side swipe, the downward swipe, and the corner button, and each do their own. That's why I prefer the iOS solution.

There's an explanation for that but I forget the exact details. It had something to do with the progression of order. If you go to a link via a certain app, the back button will take you back to that app because it considers the user is still using the previous app. You've just visited something that the app can't display (like a link because Twitter isn't a browser). But it still treats you as still being in the Twitter app. Because you didn't actually app-switch via the app switcher or launch the browser app directly. You only went there via Twitter and it still thinks you want to continue using Twitter after you visit link.

I'm butchering the explanation. Sorry. But it's something like that. Just FYI.

Reactions: tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I do the same thing when switching between and any Android phone. I am constantly hitting the back button. Then remember there isn't one or it is way up at the top of the left hand side of the screen. Not a good implementation if you ask me. Having it at the bottom where your fingers/thumbs are naturally is the better solution imho.

I can't disagree with the familiarity a longtime Android user has reaching for the back button--I do the same with iOS swipes. However after using a Nexus 6P lately, I will disagree with your later statement, at least for how I find myself typically holding/using the phone. In most cases, my thumb tends to hover around the middle of the phone when using it. The distance to either side for a swipe back/forward is much shorter than the reach to the bottom corner for the back button. I was surprised how when using my phone in my right hand that reaching for the lower left back button is even a bit of a strain and usually required me to reposition the phone in my hand. Using the phone left handed made reaching the back button even more awkward. I'm sure part of this is the fact that the Nexus 6P is a damn big phone and it's less of an issue on a smaller/narrower phone like the S7/S7e but regardless of phone size, the ability to swipe from anywhere on the side makes it a more comfortable gesture because it's almost always a closer reach. The problem of course is the lack of ubiquity of the swipe back/forward gesture across all apps.

The other issue I'm having with the back button is the inconsistent behavior that @nj-morris mentioned:

My problem with the back button is that it's too general. If you follow a link onto a tweet for example, and it takes you to the Twitter app, blessing the back button will take you back to the Twitter main page instead of the app you want. On iOS, you have the home button, the side swipe, the downward swipe, and the corner button, and each do their own. That's why I prefer the iOS solution.

I've navigated to another app via a link and pressing the back button with behave as mentioned above and ultimately back to the home screen, while I could swear in other situations it will navigate back to the previous app. :confused: While the location of the button is less than ideal on iOS (top left corner), if I navigate to another app from within an app, I can always get back with the top left corner button or 3D Touch gesture.

There's no doubt the back button presently trumps the inconsistency often found in iOS apps (maybe swipe works or maybe it doesn't, back button could be in any number of locations on the app, etc) but if the swipe forward/back could be implemented across the entire OS and apps on iOS, it's a better solution, IMHO.

There's an explanation for that but I forget the exact details. It had something to do with the progression of order. If you go to a link via a certain app, the back button will take you back to that app because it considers the user is still using the previous app. You've just visited something that the app can't display (like a link because Twitter isn't a browser). But it still treats you as still being in the Twitter app. Because you didn't actually app-switch via the app switcher or launch the browser app directly. You only went there via Twitter and it still thinks you want to continue using Twitter after you visit link.

I'm butchering the explanation. Sorry. But it's something like that. Just FYI.

Thanks for that but is the user supposed to be cognizant of these differences as they occur and then adjust their subsequent actions accordingly? "In this situation I can press the back button but in this case I need to press the task switching button..." This is just as bad as not knowing if a swipe gesture will work on iOS.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I can't disagree with the familiarity a longtime Android user has reaching for the back button--I do the same with iOS swipes. However after using a Nexus 6P lately, I will disagree with your later statement, at least for how I find myself typically holding/using the phone. In most cases, my thumb tends to hover around the middle of the phone when using it. The distance to either side for a swipe back/forward is much shorter than the reach to the bottom corner for the back button. I was surprised how when using my phone in my right hand that reaching for the lower left back button is even a bit of a strain and usually required me to reposition the phone in my hand. Using the phone left handed made reaching the back button even more awkward. I'm sure part of this is the fact that the Nexus 6P is a damn big phone and it's less of an issue on a smaller/narrower phone like the S7/S7e but regardless of phone size, the ability to swipe from anywhere on the side makes it a more comfortable gesture because it's almost always a closer reach. The problem of course is the lack of ubiquity of the swipe back/forward gesture across all apps.

The other issue I'm having with the back button is the inconsistent behavior that @nj-morris mentioned.
My use is different than yours. I hold my phones typically in my left hand. This puts my thumb right around the the bottom of my phones. Right around the FP reader and buttons on the bottom of the phone. IMHO this is where most hold their phones with either hand. Also most one handed software helpers typically bring the screen down to bottom of the phone. This is more ergonomically easier to use than a back button at the top of the screen.

f60faba58dbe4293024a3b3c3ae7d897.jpg

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
My use is different than yours. I hold my phones typically in my left hand. This puts my thumb right around the the bottom of my phones. Right around the FP reader and buttons on the bottom of the phone. IMHO this is where most hold their phones with either hand. Also most one handed software helpers typically bring the screen down to bottom of the phone. This is more ergonomically easier to use than a back button at the top of the screen.

f60faba58dbe4293024a3b3c3ae7d897.jpg

Yup, we're all going to have different use cases so what may work best for me certainty may not be best for another.

The top of the screen back buttons often found on iOS apps is definitely less than ideal for one handed use. But imagine if the swipe forward/back gestures were universal? If you needed to reach the search bar at the top of your screen shot and then go back on Android, that's alot of reaching, however swiping would be available from either side anywhere up and down the screen. Apple is so good at locking everything down in their OS... wish they would actually follow that tend in this case and make the gestures a mandatory requirement in apps. :D

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Thanks for that but is the user supposed to be cognizant of these differences as they occur and then adjust their subsequent actions accordingly? "In this situation I can press the back button but in this case I need to press the task switching button..." This is just as bad as not knowing if a swipe gesture will work on iOS.

I think that rule stays true no matter what though? Like, it's a thing built into Android, I thought? Again, I don't remember the exact details. I don't think this is an instance where it's app/developer specific. Is it? I've never seen an app where if you share or hit a link, and then press back, that it doesn't take you back to the original app from which you launch the share/link from.

If there is, I didn't know this was a rule you could break because I thought it was just built that way in Android. I'm no developer and I'm not expert, but that was my understanding.

I guess it's entirely possible that there are apps that mess this up by writing their own rules (if it's possible?) on how the back button works.

To me, the most frustrating thing with the back button is when you hit back within an app, and it magically takes you to the home screen even though there are obviously still progressions I could "back" into within the app before exiting to the home screen. That's the biggest annoyance with the Android back button; when developers don't use it properly. Luckily, it's very rare.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
This seems to be an evergreen topic.
I tried Android. It was an unintentional move and I don't regret it. Google's OS is flexible, open and the user is not restricted in any way.
Nevertheless, I decided to go back. Reliability, efficiency, security, transparency of functioning and ease of use were my main reasons. Last but not least I had a strong intention to get rid of the shameless data-miner.
Having said that I completely understand both "camps" as I have been in each of them.
I think the most important momentum is that each of us enjoys what he/she uses.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
If there is, I didn't know this was a rule you could break because I thought it was just built that way in Android. I'm no developer and I'm not expert, but that was my understanding.

I guess it's entirely possible that there are apps that mess this up by writing their own rules (if it's possible?) on how the back button works.

To me, the most frustrating thing with the back button is when you hit back within an app, and it magically takes you to the home screen even though there are obviously still progressions I could "back" into within the app before exiting to the home screen. That's the biggest annoyance with the Android back button; when developers don't use it properly.

I guess my point was more along the lines of both actions (navigating from a link) would look the same to an end user but the back button behavior has different results, that's all.

And completely agree with the latter comment, always befuddles me when this happens.

Reactions: epicrayban

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Coming back to Android after a couple years with iOS I forgot how handy that multi task and back button are. I just wish Samsung wasn't so weird and put them in the wrong spot as the back button is supposed to be on the left and multi on the right. MKHBD stated this in one of his videos as well but as stated here, some like it that way, some are used to a Nexus device where its opposite.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Coming back to Android after a couple years with iOS I forgot how handy that multi task and back button are. I just wish Samsung wasn't so weird and put them in the wrong spot as the back button is supposed to be on the left and multi on the right. MKHBD stated this in one of his videos as well but as stated here, some like it that way, some are used to a Nexus device where its opposite.
I don't know own why Samsung doesn't allow these to be switched tbh

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yup, we're all going to have different use cases so what may work best for me certainty may not be best for another.

The top of the screen back buttons often found on iOS apps is definitely less than ideal for one handed use. But imagine if the swipe forward/back gestures were universal? If you needed to reach the search bar at the top of your screen shot and then go back on Android, that's alot of reaching, however swiping would be available from either side anywhere up and down the screen. Apple is so good at locking everything down in their OS... wish they would actually follow that tend in this case and make the gestures a mandatory requirement in apps. :D

Agreed.

Everyone could use more consistency, no doubt. But I think the Android experience is far less inconsistent than the iOS method. Having a dedicated back button is a major advantage, even if that back button doesn't behave the way you expect it to all the time. And when I say "all the time," I rarely ever run into an issue where the back button does something mysterious. I'm mostly saying that because I know there are a few out there that do weird things with the back button. But 95% of the time, it works as expected.

And more importantly, it's always there. No need to "look" for it as you might with iOS. And definitely agree, the upper left back button (the most common place for iOS' back navigation) is far too high now that phones are larger. Made sense for 3.5" or 4" phones, but not so much when you're in the ~5" and more range. And double-touching home button to bring that back button lower is not the right solution, IMO.

Gestures are definitely the way to go.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I don't know own why Samsung doesn't allow these to be switched tbh

Maybe for the same reason they put TW on their devices...differentiate from the crowd. We all tend to favor certain preferences...hell, our entire recent discussion here as revolved around preference for the back button or swipe gestures. If even a small percentage grow familiar with and prefer the location of the back button on Samsung devices, it's that many more customers that may 'lock in' to their smartphone ecosystem. Just a thought.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Coming back to Android I don't know how many times I have tried to swipe back to a screen. I did love that about iOS but will say the back button gets more use than the swipe as reaching up to top corners on the 6s+ was a task at times for those back and home buttons where swipe didn't work.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Yes, completely agree about Samsung's odd button placements. I'm used to it now, but it annoys me that they want to be different for no real reason.

An even better solution, though, would be to ultimately start moving away from physical home buttons in general, and go for on-screen buttons and allow users to customize what they want there. Similar to LG's software or CyanogenMod.

And I would love for the software buttons to do more. That's part of the reason why I'm super excited about Android N. Y'all know about this, right? Android N's app-switcher button is about to get wild. Double-tapping it quickly will allow you to automatically switch between the previous app you were just in (brilliant. Always wanted this). I think there were a few other little neat new things you could do.

I think the software back button should do the same: maybe holding it refreshes a browser, for exxample? Or brings up browser history.

The point is, we should move toward software buttons because it allows for much more dynamic possibilities.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Man, an Galaxy edge like device with no buttons on the front, remove the samsung lettering, and you have the sexiest device known to man. :)

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Maybe for the same reason they put TW on their devices...differentiate from the crowd. We all tend to favor certain preferences...hell, our entire recent discussion here as revolved around preference for the back button or swipe gestures. If even a small percentage grow familiar with and prefer the location of the back button on Samsung devices, it's that many more customers that may 'lock in' to their smartphone ecosystem. Just a thought.
Not sure about that Tbayrgs.........TW just to be different? I think it was more to offer features and value stock does not have. people buy Samsung phones because of features and value. TW is only noticed by us phone geeks :p
My comment was I wish Samsung would let us switch the buttons on the bottom to what ever side we prefer.
But then knowing what side they are on and that they will work and give the desired effect is a big plus in my book.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Man, an Galaxy edge like device with no buttons on the front, remove the samsung lettering, and you have the sexiest device known to man. :)

Yep. Just have a capacitive-like finger print reader (or one built into the display!) at the bottom of the bezel and you're good to go.

Reactions: jamezr

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
An even better solution, though, would be to ultimately start moving away from physical home buttons in general, and go for on-screen buttons and allow users to customize what they want there. Similar to LG's software or CyanogenMod.

If/when OEMs start removing the chin from their phones, I would agree. But since every phone seems to have a chin, I personally prefer having the buttons on it rather than using up screen space.

Case in point, I very much like the physical size of the Sony Z5 compact. But the on-screen buttons take up a significant portion of the 4.6" screen. If the screen extended to the bottom of the phone, or if the buttons were capacitive buttons on the chin, I'd be happier.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
If/when OEMs start removing the chin from their phones, I would agree. But since every phone seems to have a chin, I personally prefer having the buttons on it rather than using up screen space.

Case in point, I very much like the physical size of the Sony Z5 compact. But the on-screen buttons take up a significant portion of the 4.6" screen. If the screen extended to the bottom of the phone, or if the buttons were capacitive buttons on the chin, I'd be happier.

I definitely understand this point of view.

That's why I consider on-screen buttons as just part of "phone" more than part of the screen. It's a dedicated portion of your device that is meant for navigation. So in other words, a 5" screen is really just a 4.8" screen (or whatever the math is). With the occasional option to go full 5", so to speak, when watching videos/gaming or whatever.

But I definitely understand what you're saying. I think on-screen buttons allow for more function and features and dynamics, but it certainly comes at the expense of screen real-estate.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Personally I think webos had it right with the gesture area, and with how large phones have gotten I think it would really help with one handed use. I really hope apple brings that with 3D Touch. How cool would it be to half swipe back or forward, full swipe back or forward an app, swipe down to bring down the notification center, swipe up to get to multi tasking view, and maybe even use as a track pad to scroll. It would make it much easier to navigate the phone one handed.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Personally I think webos had it right with the gesture area, and with how large phones have gotten I think it would really help with one handed use. I really hope apple brings that with 3D Touch. How cool would it be to half swipe back or forward, full swipe back or forward an app, swipe down to bring down the notification center, swipe up to get to multi tasking view, and maybe even use as a track pad to scroll. It would make it much easier to navigate the phone one handed.

Count me in for these features.

Bring it, iOS 10. We keep hearing about hardware rumors, but there's little info on software. I wonder what Apple has in store for iOS this Fall.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Not sure about that Tbayrgs.........TW just to be different? I think it was more to offer features and value stock does not have. people buy Samsung phones because of features and value. TW is only noticed by us phone geeks :p
My comment was I wish Samsung would let us switch the buttons on the bottom to what ever side we prefer.
But then knowing what side they are on and that they will work and give the desired effect is a big plus in my book.

I wasn't implying that they put TW just to be different, but rather it's there to differentiate Samsung devices from other Android OEMs. Putting the back button on the right side also differentiates them from other Android OEMs. And yes, the discussion here proves we all have preferences...so who's to say someone who's used a Samsung phone for the last 2 years will be less likely to switch to another OEM because they prefer the button on the right? That being said it could also work in reverse (count me in this bin...I hate the back button not the right and it's one of the reasons I don't prefer Samsung phones). That's all I'm suggesting.

I completely agree about having customizable buttons but that is more problematic with capacitive buttons in the bezel, no? And I don't think Samsung is going to ditch the physical home button until there is a truly viable in screen solution. At least I hope they don't ever go with the rear fingerprint sensor--that's even worse, IMO. I genuinely dislike having it on the back of my 6P.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I wasn't implying that they put TW just to be different, but rather it's there to differentiate Samsung devices from other Android OEMs. Putting the back button on the right side also differentiates them from other Android OEMs. And yes, the discussion here proves we all have preferences...so who's to say someone who's used a Samsung phone for the last 2 years will be less likely to switch to another OEM because they prefer the button on the right? That being said it could also work in reverse (count me in this bin...I hate the back button not the right and it's one of the reasons I don't prefer Samsung phones). That's all I'm suggesting.

I completely agree about having customizable buttons but that is more problematic with capacitive buttons in the bezel, no? And I don't think Samsung is going to ditch the physical home button until there is a truly viable in screen solution. At least I hope they don't ever go with the rear fingerprint sensor--that's even worse, IMO. I genuinely dislike having it on the back of my 6P.
I like how the FP acts on the 6P. It doesn't have to be pushed to unlock the phone. Agree though that having the FP on the back is not optimal IMHO.
Oh and the capacitive buttons on Samsung phones is still software. It can be switched rather easily. Samsung just won't allow it. But I wish they would. On your 6P you can flash CyanogenMod 13 which allows for a lot more customization and a true battery percentage meter.

admob71

Suspended
Feb 13, 2014
MANCHESTER, ENGLAND.
On iOS you can swipe down to go back to the gallery. Works on the stock photo app, Google Photos, Facebook, Twitter, etc.

4 separate things that do what ever the heck the want. When they want depending g what app they are in, I see what you mean about consistency. 99% of the time the back button takes you back to the previous screen. You cannot get more consistent than that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.