Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I took my iPhone back to O2 and changed it...

And what did I get? lets say I regret taking it back!

I had 2 dead/stuck pixels on the original phone... this phone has about TEN all over the screen - its terrible and the screen is still negative black (or cheap depending on your perspective)!

I have tried the iPhone Pixel repair site at http://www.ebaspace.com/iphone-app

It is a great app but its not helped my phone!

I really have to say that I DREAD returning to O2 to change the phone again but I feel I will have to... I will leave the pixel repairer running for half an hour see if that helps but I KNOW I will have to go back!

I don't actually expect a good screen anymore - just one without dead/stuck pixels!

And I will make sure I check the screen BEFORE I leave the store this time!

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Definitely, the screen that he's showing doesn't look TOO bad. The one's ive gotten are all just horrible. I don't understand how they fixed the iPod touch but 2 months after, the iPhone is still being sold this way. Im wondering if most of the phones in the UK are bad as well, people must just be so excited to have the phone that they may not have noticed the problem yet. This one on the left is the newest one that i've received

DSCN6200.jpg

DSCN6197.jpg

European users:

Please note that the negative black issues are when you CANNOT AT ALL see the image (see pics above).

If you can see the image okay, you're fine. It looks like it's just a much cheaper screen... :(

smr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Shropshire, UK
anyone can explain me please ?
thanks!

For me, the best way to see the 'negative black' problem is to display a greyscale, such as the one at:

http://techmind.org/lcd/greyscale.html

The left most 'black' square (00) should be the blackest, with the squares getting lighter (i.e. more grey) as you go right.

If your screen has the 'negative black' problem, the left most square (00), and perhaps even square 10, appear lighter than one of the ones to the right. Also, the Jay-Z album cover (see the very start of this thread) looks like a photographic negative on screens with the problem.

But if you look at the greyscale and the blacks get blacker from 00, then your screen is OK (assuming there are no dead pixels).

phillycreamboy

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2007
so what does this all mean?

I have been following these threads closely as I have gone through several phones myself. My first phone was a 5 series which had a dead slider issue. It was replaced with several bad 7455232 phones until I finally received a 7459072 screen which I am happy with. My questions are : Does anyone know why these panels are so different? A lot of people say that the 7455232 is cheaper and in the cheaper $399 phone. If that is the case then did anyone receive a 7455232 before the price drop? And why are there still 5 series and 7459072 screen being produced?

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
We have two iPhones in our household, an 8gb and 4gb phone and the screens are identical, both being the higher quality screen. I saw a recent purchase by someone of the 8gb phone and it had the grainy cheap screen on it. It seems like they are buying screens from different vendors.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Not to start a flamewar, but which screen do you guys like more? 5 series or 7457092? i have the 5 , my brother has the 7457092, i think 7457092 is slightly better colors just seem more accurate to my eyes. but I think they are both great screens :D

mikeinmontreal

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
I bought one of each locally off Ebay, and I am selling my crappy 7-series screen iPhone, so I will weigh in on my thoughts with respect to both "good" screens.

Ipaqman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2003
i received a week 42 iphone 7s742 which i unlocked for my friend and this phone had an amazing looking screen. far better than the previous ones ive seen. this phone did have a few stuck pixels that are only noticible during start up. I have unlocked around 20 iphones and all of the phones that i have unlocked that have had good screens all had some minor stuck pixels. i am pretty sure stuck pixels are just something that somehow come with lcd screens as i have not received an iphone that did not have 1 on it except for an iphone that i got that had the negative black (which was probably because you could not see them due to the neg black). if you get a screen that looks great but has some stuck pixels here and there keep it, as it the best you are going to get. also, i have had a few phones with home buttons that were sort of loose which moved slightly side to side and up and down and this week 42 is solid.

hope this helps.

ipaqman

mikeinmontreal

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Both screens I received yesterday (one 5 series and one good 7 series) passed with flying colors using all tests on appleservedup.com; Now to watch the same show on both screens to see if their is a difference.

Leemo

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2006
Nottingham, UK
Finally. Sorted.

Went to Carphone Warehouse at the Fort shopping centre in Birmingham, explained the problem - and they were fantastic - opened up three iPhones until we got one with a decent screen.

This one has a 5 series screen, and is from week 43.

Finally sorted and happy with it! Hurrah!

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Inverness, Scotland
Finally. Sorted.

Went to Carphone Warehouse at the Fort shopping centre in Birmingham, explained the problem - and they were fantastic - opened up three iPhones until we got one with a decent screen.

I'm glad you persevered Leemo. That feeling of relief when they agree that there's a problem and you finally get a resolution - it's great.

But, honestly, to have to go through a total of, what, seven phones before you get a good one? It's just astonishing, really.

It sounds like I was lucky to have found one on my second attempt.

Still, glad you're happy - now you can actually enjoy it! Have fun!

ne0star

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2007
Finally. Sorted.

Nice one mate, you were right to keep at it. For a device this expensive it shouldn't even be an issue.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Finally. Sorted.

Three phones? You mean Apple is still trying to pass off bad screens to the public?

Maybe someone can write a letter to Steve Jobs?

I wonder what the Germans are experiencing. Seems like we haven't heard much from them - maybe because this is an English speaking site?

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Three phones? You mean Apple is still trying to pass off bad screens to the public?

Maybe someone can write a letter to Steve Jobs?

I wonder what the Germans are experiencing. Seems like we haven't heard much from them - maybe because this is an English speaking site?
I'm seriously thinking of doing that. We'll see what happens after I recieve my new phone today. Even so, I might still e-mail sjobs...this shouldnt be happening in the first place.

mikeinmontreal

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
My opinion is that my 5-series screen is a little better than my good 7-series screen. But this may be a subjective thing, and I have only tested 2 minutes of a TV show. But in the end, both screens are great and test well with the appleservedup site.

oli84

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2005
I've compared a 5-series and a good 7459072 (a different one had way off colors). I do think it's a very close call, but if you turn up brightness to the max on both, you'll see the white is a lot better on the 5-series, whereas the 7459072 is yellow. What's weird is that I also ahve a 4gb 5-series and when you turn up the brightness it is also yellow. So it really comes down to the individual screen... but I like the 5-series in my hand currently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.