Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
I purchased my 30 gig iPod Photo last May, and it was great until a couple of months ago when crazy things started happening. For instance, i would try to play a song and it would jsut freeze. I would reset it (menu + middle button), and it would work okay for a while, until it happened again. Now this problem happens about 3 times a week. I was dealing with this fine until i started up the ipod and got an SAD-FACE IPOD! I reformatted it to "factory settings", put in all my music again, and it worked okay.

...now, i just got another sad-face. Do I hafta do all of that again? Is there some way I can fix this thing without replacing it? I have too much faith in Apple to just "assume" that it's broken and i need another.

luckylisp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2006
NY state
Well, if you purchased it last May it's still under warranty so I'd hurry and take it in to Apple if I was you. Sounds like it might be the hard drive.

funkychunkz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Make sure you have all the newest updates for the ipod updater, and itunes aswell. If you've been screwing around any with the disk in any way, you might want to go another step backwards and erase the ipod with diskutility, and then reset to factory settings.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

ero87

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
hmm how do i erase the ipod using disk utility? keep in mind, my ipod doesn't appear on my desktop when i plug it in - it's sad.

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Open ur iPod if its out of warranty (because you will void it if you do) unplug the hard drive and plug it back in, this is what i did with my 4G b&w ipod and it works fine. i'm not sure if photos are the same as 4Gs so you might want to look into that

P.S. you can find directions on how to open your iPod online but use some sort of hard plastic such as a gift card (or something like that) and avoid using screwdrivers that are sometimes recommended unless you actually WANT you ipod to be scratched

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Xander562 said:
Open ur iPod if its out of warranty (because you will void it if you do) unplug the hard drive and plug it back in, this is what i did with my 4G b&w ipod and it works fine. i'm not sure if photos are the same as 4Gs so you might want to look into that

P.S. you can find directions on how to open your iPod online but use some sort of hard plastic such as a gift card (or something like that) and avoid using screwdrivers that are sometimes recommended unless you actually WANT you ipod to be scratched
The photos are the same 'cept a color screen. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.