Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kriskrangle49

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I currently have the 2.0 Software, should I go down to 1.1.5 and also, is there any way that you can download the AppStore using Installer?

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I currently have the 2.0 Software, should I go down to 1.1.5 and also, is there any way that you can download the AppStore using Installer?

If you don't mind losing what v2.0 has to offer and you have an image to restore to v1.1.4 or earlier.

Yes, you can. :)

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The iPod Touch and iPhone work the same as when you buy a new Mac, you get the latest OS.

Since :apple: now considers it as 2 OS:

1. Mac OS X and;

2. iPhone OS X.

If you buy an iPod Touch after the release of v2.0 you will get the option of a rebate from the store for the $10.- amount or will be given a gift certificate towards the purchase of v2.0

If you buy the iPod Touch now, you will get either a rebate code if it does not already ship with it. Cheers. :)

not true, the update is entirely optional and no it won't be coming with the new iPods.

Picture1-26.png

too bad

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
not true, the update is entirely optional and no it won't be coming with the new iPods.

Picture1-26.png

too bad

They are referring to the present iPod Touch owners and the AppStore not working in al areas due to WiFi issues.

I agree the wording is terrible, however :apple: would have a field day with its new customer base for the iPod Touch, since its considered a new OS version and any new product shipping has to include it, unless otherwise stated.

Besides :apple: wants to promote the AppStore more since it will generate more revenue then taking in $10.- for a v2.0 update from any new customer who buy the iPod Touch.

Odd that there is no official news on this topic, we both could be wrong on this issue, however this would not pose well for the iPod Touch line. Unless updates are near around Aug/Sept timeframe. :)

mrmarky

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
So what does 1.1.5 provide? I already have 2.0, but I'm curious nonetheless.

very fast, total improvement over previous in speed - it feels very responsive, just downloading apps from the installer is much faster too, you would think its a total update just for that it feels much better.

2.0 felt like a skoda

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
They are referring to the present iPod Touch owners and the AppStore not working in al areas due to WiFi issues.

I agree the wording is terrible, however :apple: would have a field day with its new customer base for the iPod Touch, since its considered a new OS version and any new product shipping has to include it, unless otherwise stated.

Besides :apple: wants to promote the AppStore more since it will generate more revenue then taking in $10.- for a v2.0 update from any new customer who buy the iPod Touch.

Odd that there is no official news on this topic, we both could be wrong on this issue, however this would not pose well for the iPod Touch line. Unless updates are near around Aug/Sept timeframe. :)

tuffluffjimmy has been reading this thread, where the poster called an Apple store and was told 2.0 is a paid upgrade. It seems like a misunderstanding to me. Would it really be worth it to keep the touch on a separate OS just for 10 bucks? 1.1.5 is a maintenance release, just like 10.4.11. Apple will keep selling the older ipods till they run out of stock, then they'll include 2.0

walala

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2007
Call me crazy but I installed 1.1.5 and I don't see much difference in speed, etc.

!¡ V ¡!

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
tuffluffjimmy has been reading this thread, where the poster called an Apple store and was told 2.0 is a paid upgrade. It seems like a misunderstanding to me. Would it really be worth it to keep the touch on a separate OS just for 10 bucks? 1.1.5 is a maintenance release, just like 10.4.11. Apple will keep selling the older ipods till they run out of stock, then they'll include 2.0

:apple: shoots itself in the foot on this one. Then again I did mention that hardware updates were near. ;):)

menthol moose

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006
I don't notice much of a speed increase with 1.1.5 compared to 1.1.4, but it is much faster than 2.0.

Also, I've just jailbroken it myself and applied some of the mods I used in 1.1.4. It all works perfectly so far, so I assume everything else will be compatible between the two.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
That weird. Why would Apple do that? It's almost like they're saying "here you go jailbreakers, here's a more stable/improved firmware for you guys who don't wanna pay for your apps".:confused:

Why are you acting as if the "Jailbreakers" are doing anything wrong?

jackjury

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
What is the obsession with blanking out serial numbers on screen shots? What is anyone going to do with that?

rodD

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
I don't notice much of a speed increase with 1.1.5 compared to 1.1.4, but it is much faster than 2.0.

Also, I've just jailbroken it myself and applied some of the mods I used in 1.1.4. It all works perfectly so far, so I assume everything else will be compatible between the two.

Hi I am new here... I was having issues (slow-down and keyboard got stucked almost everytime) with a jailbroken ipod touch 8gb with 1.1.4 firmware so I restored it, but it did so to the new 1.1.5 firmware, and when I tried to jailbreak it again using ijailbreak for 1.1.4 (i have a mac) it did not work at all (it says "variable firmaware version error" or something like that), and it keeps forever. Any suggestion? Has anybody jailbroken it with the 1.1.5firmware using ijailbreak?

Thanks!

rodD

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2008
me again...

I just tried jailbreak it again using ziphone for mac instead of ijailbreak.

result: it worked flawlessly... at least as of now... l'll inform any problem though

btw, Its my first time using ziphone...any known problem with it that i should take care of in advance?

Thanks

menthol moose

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2006
me again...

I just tried jailbreak it again using ziphone for mac instead of ijailbreak.

result: it worked flawlessly... at least as of now... l'll inform any problem though

btw, Its my first time using ziphone...any known problem with it that i should take care of in advance?

Thanks
There are no major problems with it and the iPod touch, but in the future I would suggest using iLibertyX rather than ZiPhone, as it has been known to brick some iPhones.

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road

Picture1-26.png

too bad

And how do you know this? After an OS release Apple has always included the newest OS with a new purchase.

Yes, OS 2.0 is an option for current 1.1.4 OS users but it should be included on a new ipod touch purchase after the official 2.0 release or it will include a free update code.

Apple didn't release the 2.0 OS as a free update to current OS 1.1.4 users but the 2.0 OS is now the current ipod touch OS not 1.1.4.

This is identical to OS X. Leopard was not a free update for Tiger users but all new macs purchased after the release of Leopard came with Leopard or a free upgrade code to get Leopard. This is the way Apple has always handled OS updates. Until I see proof otherwise, I can't believe what you are saying is true.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
And how do you know this? After an OS release Apple has always included the newest OS with a new purchase.

Yes, OS 2.0 is an option for current 1.1.4 OS users but it should be included on a new ipod touch purchase after the official 2.0 release or it will include a free update code.

Apple didn't release the 2.0 OS as a free update to current OS 1.1.4 users but the 2.0 OS is now the current ipod touch OS not 1.1.4.

This is identical to OS X. Leopard was not a free update for Tiger users but all new macs purchased after the release of Leopard came with Leopard or a free upgrade code to get Leopard. This is the way Apple has always handled OS updates. Until I see proof otherwise, I can't believe what you are saying is true.

With the January Software Update, Apple reduced the prices of it's iPod touch stock currently in the supply chain by am amount equivalent to the cost of the update - they have not done this for the 2.0 software.

It is, so far, an optional update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.