Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
dorqiekat said:
I'm soooo there. *crosses fingers* this is karma, I mean, what are the chances that I'd read this thread before going over to the apple store on Sunday to buy my ipod? (very high, actually....) OKay, so this is my reward for missing the latest pb update and lowered price by buying it too early. I could have waited... (okay, so I probably couldn't) Well, this is just really cool then. :D
... I feel really lame for this reply.
I should just delete it........ :eek:
Don't worry man. we're all excited here :D

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
oingoboingo said:
Can't. They're all listening to their higher battery capacity MP3 players.

Hah! So right! Guess I'd just have to find another Mini user...but that'll probably be some 13 year-old girl who wants to talk about the break-up of Busted...bah.

iDeclare

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2005
Atlanta, GA
listen, I think they're coming....

Apple store's delivery times: mini 5-7 business days! The "more reliable" way of checking if a rumor is true,,,, :rolleyes:

In other business this week, the imac's ship date has gone from same business day to 3-5 business days....perhaps another update as well :confused: . Makes sense I guess with the design team being that of the ipod.

In terms of color screen, I use my mini to run with so I hardly look at the screen. But, I'm all for it, so not flaiming here! I dump my wages and salary to apple just as freely as the next guy on here! :cool:

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
iDeclare said:
Apple store's delivery times: mini 5-7 business days! The "more reliable" way of checking if a rumor is true,,,, :rolleyes:

In terms of color screen, I use my mini to run with so I hardly look at the screen. But, I'm all for it, so not flaiming here! I dump my wages and salary to apple just as freely as the next guy on here! :cool:

This Tuesday or next is likely given TS's predictions...

Chimera

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2004
Surrey, England
aswitcher said:
This Tuesday or next is likely given TS's predictions...

It's good to see thnk secret still dissing out the Apple secrets despite the pending legal case. It's looking ever more likely for this Tuesday as well due to the increased shipping times and Apple's usual policy of releasing new products on a Tuesday, one thing though the PowerBooks were released on a Monday so do any of you think that the updates may also come tomorrow?

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
All of a sudden, I'm wishing for tuesday to roll in. Which is strange, considering I have late classes on tuesdays. Yeah, forget monday, a holiday... let's long for tuesday! A day where I can be stuck in class till 6 pm, but hey! thats okay! I get to see if they're updating iPods or not! :p

*bounces*

tb2me

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2005
Battery life -

If you're going to be traveling or whatnot, in an unusual circumstance where you need more than the standard 6-10 hours (depending on model) of life . . . buy a damned battery pack. They give you a hell of a lot of extra life, and if you're traveling, chances are you have a bag or something, the pack won't be a portability hindrance. (If I'm walking to class, I don't want the extra bulk. If I'm on a plane or train, I don't really care how big the iPod is, as long as it's manageable.)

ClarkeB

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2005
Remember to order early as there is no bloody way they will still be in stock 12 hours post-release.

foreverembraced

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2004
If they are in fact to be released on Tuesday...Would they be released at 9:00 a.m east. time you think or like 12:01 tuesday morning? And do you think if I were to order one from apple online when they are that I would actually get one? or am I better off going to an apple store. Im so excited for this...I NEEED one

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
ClarkeB said:
Remember to order early as there is no bloody way they will still be in stock 12 hours post-release.

Thats going to be very true given the shortage of Shuffles, as woulde buyers will in a far number of cases go for a colour iPod mini instead.

foreverembraced

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2004
I just got back from Circuit City picking something up and decided to check out their ipod mini supply...Empty. They would have to be coming this week because i'm sure they wouldn't keep mini's unstocked for 2-3 weeks.

Apple //e

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2003
tb2me said:
Battery life -

If you're going to be traveling or whatnot, in an unusual circumstance where you need more than the standard 6-10 hours (depending on model) of life . . . buy a damned battery pack. They give you a hell of a lot of extra life, and if you're traveling, chances are you have a bag or something, the pack won't be a portability hindrance. (If I'm walking to class, I don't want the extra bulk. If I'm on a plane or train, I don't really care how big the iPod is, as long as it's manageable.)

yeah, thats great....i mean, why not have a longer lasting battery when you can buy an addon for more money?

battery technolgy advances every day, but why do we need it if i can just buy a lead-acid pack?

any hardcore traveller will tell you that the less you carry, the better off you are.

"...and if you're traveling, chances are you have a bag or something.." absolutely brilliant

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
If it is 6 gigs, has a color screen, and 12 hours of battery life, count me in. But then again, I tend to get dissapointed when I want Apple to make new stuff.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
ZildjianKX said:
If it is 6 gigs, has a color screen, and 12 hours of battery life, count me in. But then again, I tend to get dissapointed when I want Apple to make new stuff.

Yeah, I have made a list of stuff I want it to have so when it appears I can quickly check them off to make sure its all I want it to be.

Colour screen... now a must given the clarity and new features colours provides.

5 or 6 gig, I dont really care that much.

More than 8 hours battery life is a pretty important feature. I would like at least 10 solid hours given how long I can play it between recharges. 8 wont be a killer though but may make me blink given they should be pushing the battery life up to where comeditors have gone.

Shuffle like auto reduce music to 128 kbps from my iTunes library where everything is 320 kbps. Not a deal breaker BUT if it does have it then I'll be happier to part with my money.

Detach headphones and auto pauses is a must. If it doesn't have 4G tech like this then I might hold off till June/July when the rumoured new iPods (with colour screens will appear). Its just too handy a feature for me.

Click through headphones...good to have...not sure if its a deal breaker.

Better (as TS predicts) skip resistence. The 20gig I borrow skips a bit when just walking...

And besides this I am really hoping to see new geek features like address book with pictures; optional background colours to match the ipod with black or white type over them; new games; ability to control iTunes playing on my PB with my attached iPod mini; BlueTooth/WiFi; encryption for data section; iPod @ home...that long rumoured synching tech with isynch for important files...

fossyy

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2004
Proudly Tasmanian
Limited stock on sale

Recieved a myer catalouge in the weekend papers and they had minis advertised for A$299 but with only limited stock.For those outside australia myer is a department store australia wide, probably australias biggest.
The mini normally sells for A$399

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
I keep hoping -- every generation since 1G -- for gapless/crossfade playback on the iPod. Sounds like something more for a major generation iPod release, but in the grand scheme of things it's not really that big a deal. Hopefully iPod mini will get it first this week and -- since firmware almost NEVER wakes up features in an older model -- iPod will get gapless/crossfade playback this summer.

Looks like it's not going to happen today or the store would be down already.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
Didn't want to read every page of this topic just to see if it was mentioned or not, but I would say that they're clearly talking about an OLED screen like the one that Kodak put on one of their digital cameras last year. The "even in direct sunlight" comment, along with the increased battery life, indicate this. OLED screens don't need a backlight to be visible in daylight...they are reflective surfaces more like pigment than like a screen. And they are supposedly much more efficient (battery life) than LCD panels.

Looks like Apple is trying to justify charging 250 dollars for a player with 1/4 the capacity of a 300 dollar player...

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Do you know what, I think you're onto something there. No LED screen can be properly viewed in bright sunlight, but an OLED can be perfectly.

That'd be awesome :D

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
foreverembraced said:
If they are in fact to be released on Tuesday...Would they be released at 9:00 a.m east. time you think or like 12:01 tuesday morning? And do you think if I were to order one from apple online when they are that I would actually get one? or am I better off going to an apple store. Im so excited for this...I NEEED one

i'm curious about this too. my plan is to check the apple site first thing when i wake up tomorrow (around 6 am pacific time), and if there are new minis announced, i'll order one online. but since i'm horribly impatient when it comes to getting new gadgets, i plan to also go to the apple store closest to my job when it first opens tomorrow morning and see if they have any in stock. if they do, i buy one right then and there and then cancel my online order.

i am way too excited for this. :D

marianne

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
benpatient said:
Looks like Apple is trying to justify charging 250 dollars for a player with 1/4 the capacity of a 300 dollar player...

The real kicker here is if the 20gig also gets colour at the same time for the same price point... $50USD for 20 versus 5/6 gig is going to be a tocuh call. I guess for me it might come down to what extra features each has...

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
r6girl said:
i'm curious about this too. my plan is to check the apple site first thing when i wake up tomorrow (around 6 am pacific time), and if there are new minis announced, i'll order one online. but since i'm horribly impatient when it comes to getting new gadgets, i plan to also go to the apple store closest to my job when it first opens tomorrow morning and see if they have any in stock. if they do, i buy one right then and there and then cancel my online order.

i am way too excited for this. :D

marianne

I've been trying to remember from when the 4G iPod was released...I actually stumbled upon it by mistake mere minutes after it was on sale, so I think it must have been 9AM EST.

Judging by the Shuffle, I'd be surprised if there were many in Apple Stores. Damn I wish we had more than one here (UK).

I'm way too excited too, I've been building up for this all weekend ;)

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
tomjleeds said:
I've been trying to remember from when the 4G iPod was released...I actually stumbled upon it by mistake mere minutes after it was on sale, so I think it must have been 9AM EST.

Judging by the Shuffle, I'd be surprised if there were many in Apple Stores. Damn I wish we had more than one here (UK).

I'm way too excited too, I've been building up for this all weekend ;)

I think after last year's bad experience with supply and recent problems withg Shuffle supply, and from what TS said last month, I think they might be decent supplies - well at least for the first few hours of orders :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.