Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gkhaldi

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2005
I can't believe people actually believe this.

(Full-sized Image)

Look closely at the full size image. This is obviously a photoshop job designed to stir some commotion.

-The outline of the shadows are obviously fake.

-A cheap bevel effect was to create the awkward rounded edge of each device.

-The image is named "nano-flower.psd" ---an obvious indication of a photoshop job.

-It looks too way similiar to the current video iPod.

AND many members before have pointed out the various flaws. I am not convinced at all at this "mock-up"! :mad:

A disclaimer should be put with this rumor so it wouldn't discourage or throw people off! This should be taken as a grain of salt.

I feel you :D

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
I don't like the shape :S I guess it's cool if they are the new Nano's, I just wont be getting one :D That said, I love my current-gen one... it'd take something amazing to make me upgrade.

I agree, my current 2 GB 2G Silver nano is the best iPod I have owned. I have had five different iPods too. It is well refined, ergonomic, nice to hold, and the dimensions look right. This new one looks like it is a bit too wide, but it looks like it will be easier to grip. When the fist nanos came out, I thought they looked strangely narrow and long. So who knows, maybe the new design will grow on me.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
I call "Fakesies"

This is the equivalent of a sock in a jock... ugly, out of proportion and fake as sh*t.

Obviously, this is being passed off as the real deal and not just a lame mock-up of someone's Nano fantasy/wetdream -- 'cause it's a " 'spy shot' from one of our sources". Sure. Right. Whatever.

We could talk about the quality (or lack thereof) of the photo in question. We could about the crappy (and obvious) Photoshop bevel added to these imposters. We also could talk about the crappy/terrible drop shadow that Apple would never use in an ad.

We could talk all about these things, but I'd rather not. I'd rather talk about what's the most obvious problem with 9to5's fake-o-rama...

The FLOWER design.

Since Apple's big iMac/iLife/iWork unveil, we've all seen the new packaging for Apple's software suites iLife and iWork. 5 screens/documents that create kind of a pentagon or star -- some (cough, 9to5) might call it a Flower but it's a Star. Now, while it makes absolute sense to tie these two suites together so that people would naturally want to get PT. 1 and 2 of the software, it is completely implausible, to me at least, to think that not only would Apple use this new design composition in their two newest Software offerings, but that they would bring it on into some of the hardware ads.

No way.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
Put A Clip On The Back and they're Shuffles with a screen. I love how they're small enough to clip in same place as Shuffles. I keep my Shuffle clipped to the headband on the back of my baseball hats 24/7. Makes listening to the Shuffle super easy all the time. :)Love it. wish Apple Design Team would follow your direction.

attachment.php

If they can make the scroll wheel pivot 180 degrees then I am sold. Left handers would be happy and we could use it in the portrait mode still.

bigmc6000

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2006
agree with the proportions is bad and it is quite difficult to navigate the wheel when it is too close to the bottom of the pod - like regular mobile phones are constructed today.

i played for a couple of minutes with photoshop. put the wheel to the right and widescreen to the left - and voila...something quite usable and ok-looking.

Now what would be cool is if when you turned it the other way the click wheel had some backlighting or maybe a mechanism that would rotate the wheel with the screen and lock it into vertical (current position). Or maybe an adaptable graphic "wheel" just around the outside so when you rotated it "Menu" would stay at the top.

Of course this mock up looks lightyears better than the short fatty - I just really really don't like the short fatty - I can't even begin to think it's ergonomic to any stretch of the imagination.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
This is the equivalent of a sock in a jock... kind of ugly and not real.

Obviously, this is being passed off as the real deal and not just a lame mock-up of someone's Nano fantasy/wetdream -- 'cause it's a " 'spy shot' from one of our sources". Sure. Right. Whatever.

We could talk about the quality (or lack thereof) of the photo in question. We could about the crappy (and obvious) Photoshop bevel added to these imposters. We also could talk about the crappy/terrible drop shadow that Apple would never use in an ad.

We could talk all about these things, but I'd rather not. I'd rather talk about what's the most obvious problem with 9to5's fake-o-rama...

The FLOWER design.

Since Apple's big iMac/iLife/iWork unveil, we've all seen the new packaging for Apple's software suites iLife and iWork. 5 screens/documents that create kind of a pentagon or star -- some (cough, 9to5) might call it a Flower but it's a Star. Now, while it makes absolute sense to tie these two suites together so that people would naturally want to get PT. 1 and 2 of the software, it is completely implausible, to me at least, to think that not only would Apple use this new design composition in their two newest Software offerings, but that they would bring it on into some of the hardware ads.

No way.

Right on, not to mention the fact that this image is at 100% size in PS. Apple would make higher resolution ads then this one, that fits entirely on the screen at full res. Total fake.

knome

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2006
The fact that its a .psd file instead of a jpg or something else just screams fake. Why would someone take a picture, get it in photoshop and make it a psd?

glowdragon

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2007
Kenosha, WI
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 3.3; U; AvantGo 3.2))

These things look absolutely hideous. I hope this gaggle of rumors is false.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Pic is real. Think about what they would feel like in your hand. They may *seem* gigantic, but that is because of the different porportions than what we are used to. These things are shorter than the current nano, and slightly wider. I think these give off a 'cute' yet sophisticated vibe rather than a sleek image portrayed by the first gen nano and carried over to the second gen. It will be great to have a new interface and video playback, and as someone said this new nano will basically replace both the 5.5g ipod and nano.. making way for the multi-touch 'true video' ipod.

Still, I'm not in a rush to sell my 8gb nano.

ariza910

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2002
So Cal
Fat is the new slender.. apparently.

This is not going to look as good strapped to my arm when I'm running as the lengthy, skinny one.

I don't think thats true - they did the same thing with the shuffle - went from long and skinny to more of a square shape and I think that the new shuffles appear smaller than the old long and skinny white shuffles.

Same thing will happen with these Nanos if the pics are real. the square shape along with the huge widescreen (for its size) will make them look smaller than the current gen Nanos.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a clip on the back of these Nanos just like the shuffles.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I think those would be fine...they can take the spot of the normal iPod, if it goes full touch screen, some will want a big screen, but still click wheel based 'Pod

P.B.

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2005
agree with the proportions is bad and it is quite difficult to navigate the wheel when it is too close to the bottom of the pod - like regular mobile phones are constructed today.

i played for a couple of minutes with photoshop. put the wheel to the right and widescreen to the left - and voila...something quite usable and ok-looking.

sorry, i appreciate your effort but these look _much_ worse to me than the "leaked" pictures. talking about "out of proportion"

bushman1

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2007
I think they look too much like a zune and if they had that soft plastic. I don't think they are real I believe they are a photoshop cross between an ipod and a zune. 8(

MacTheSpoon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Sigh. They probably work great, and video will be an awesome feature, but they do look pretty ugly to me. They look like overweight iPods, not small, cute and sexy like the nanos always have. I hope they look better in person. I hope they are smaller in person.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
I think that they should keep it the same size but make the screen bigger. There is no reason the current one's screen should be so small. It seems there is a lot of wasted space. Honestly, I would love to see the next gen iPod Nano look like this:

attachment.php

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
The fact that its a .psd file instead of a jpg or something else just screams fake. Why would someone take a picture, get it in photoshop and make it a psd?

The fact that it's a .psd file doesn't mean anything at all. The vast majority of images on the internet of actual products get processed through Photoshop or an equivalent application in some way or another. In fact it's a fair bet that the images of the new iMac's and other products on Apple.com have gone through some PS manipulation, yet those aren't fake at all.

There's a completely erroneous assumption that is rampant on these boards that equates PS to fake, but there is in fact no such correlation. Yes, fake images may be created in PS. So too are images of real products.

The legitimacy of this particular image has nothing to do whatsoever whether it was rendered in Photoshop or any other program. Asking the question of whether something is a Photoshop file or not doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that an image is authentic or fake.

What may get closer to an answer are a consideration of the following:

- At what rate does Apple revamp it's iPod nano line? (once a year usually around this time)

- What trends have the nano line followed? (smaller, thinner, color screens, features...)

- Is the inclusion of video a feature that Apple is emphasizing across its product line? (Arguably- yes. Most Apple products are video friendly if not videocentric.)

- If so, what design influence would this have on the iPod nano- Would Apple go for a square screen or a wide screen?

- Is the source of the image reliable? (9to5 has been doing alright lately.)

- Does the form factor represented in the images meet these considerations or diverge significantly from them?

It may very well be that the image is a prediction of what the next iPod Nano may look like based on speculation. If that is so then the question would shift from a discussion about the legitimacy of the rendered image to the accuracy of the image.

In any case, the question of whether this image is real or not isn't answered by the fact that it was an image that was processed in PS.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
This is the equivalent of a sock in a jock... ugly, out of proportion and fake as sh*t.

We could also talk about the fact that the window bar reveals that the image is a PSD... Photoshop Document. :D

The FLOWER design.

In other words, the theme that they used with the original iMacs um... ten years ago.

No way.

Well, I won't say "never" but there are enough inconsistencies with Apple's industrial design themes at present that it doesn't quite make sense. Thematically, it looks like a return to the softer, more plastic-ish designs they churned out in 1998. Even if you remove the Photoshop bevel job out of the equation and think that this was indeed a design Apple had, it may have been one that they dropped a while ago.

When curved edges are undefined by a border, e.g. on the iPhone, and given a flat color, they lack depth and look REALLY cheap... even if the material used is, say, aluminum. Apple of today is more likely to steer clear of such Playskool design principles (though most American car manufacturers haven't figured this one out).

Additionally, the corner radius doesn't match Apple's apparent design principles. Look at the tighter corner radius of the iPhone and iMac. You might think this is trivial but back when the Mac Classic case was designed, they had specifications down to the millimeter for how many millimeters the front corner radii would be versus the rear case corner radii. They still apply design principles that aim toward a singular product or brand strategy... rather than away from it.

That being said, I could still be wrong if the dividing line between the "pro" look and the Playskool look is going to be below iPhone and iMac... that depends on what they've got coming out that is going to be positioned below the iMac line... and IMHO they do have such a product: Mobile Mac.

If Mobile Mac goes for a softer look to appeal to a younger set, and if a future lower-tier of iPhones are some soap-bar looking things all in one color instead of the much more expensive aluminum, glass and polished metal design, then this design is certainly plausible.

One last thing... while everyone is focusing on the scrollwheel being the common denominator, has anyone considered the possibility that it's the SCREEN that is the same size as the existing nano's? That would radically shrink the form factor of the nano.

AdMan2007

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2006
Ok...

I work in advertising. And I just wanted to chime in.

Numerous times, a client will provide artwork as files like you see in the picture. The shadows are not always correct, nor is the alignment of the objects. The designer will typically correct all that before it gets an official layout (with copy).

So, you cannot write this off because of the file. My guess it is client-provided artwork that's being prepped. And who knows, perhaps it was given the shady characteristics to throw you all off.

That's my guess. But you better believe it, Apple knows eactly who has what artwork, especially if it's ahead of release, and you can be sure someone would be in big-time trouble.

My source at Apple tells me that all artwork provided to vendors and even used by Apple's marketing team are all slightly different for that very reason. One look at this - if it's real - and it won't be long before someone takes the fall.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
...smells like something a horse would leave on the ground in a tightly coiled mound.

That's a seriously ill horse. Horses don't usually poop in tightly coiled mounds...

You must be thinking of an animal that's between a horse and a cow.

I'll be sticking with my current nano if these are anything to go by.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.