Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Nobody really talks about them here, because the temptation to start a conga line is too great -- and super annoying for the rest of us.

So the threads are closed immediately, and if somebody posts a referral link -- they are usually banned.

The g-mail threads were bad enough, the free iPod threads would be orders of magnitude worse.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Mr_Brightside_@ said:
has anyone actually done onw of the "free ipod" things? theres like so many of them online. ouch.

I know a friend that got:
a mac mini
a U2 iPod
60 gig Photo
and I think one more.

punk was always at the top of the pyramid and ...
DOESN'T USE THE MAC MINI AT ALL! AGGHH!!

He won't send it to me, that punk. :(
always bad mouthing it and such.

but .. yea, they rarely work (he has a HUGE family, and thats how he got it to work) so no with the posting of the "zomg! free iPod!"

Just.. so much the spam!

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
a friend of mine got an iPod Shuffle the other day when he joined a ocntest somewhere...

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Whyren said:
There are legitimate contests (like where I won my shuffle), but I'd stay away from the free-whatever.coms. Not worth the effort and loss of personal data.
Bingo, if I was running a phishing scam -- I'd skip the bank, ebay, etc. and give away a few hundred free iPods.

That drives people wild and they willingly give you their personal information -- to your scam links, and get their friends to jump in also. :rolleyes:

robcts

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2005
I received a free iPod last year through one of them, so they aren't a scam. But it's way too much work to do.

pookmail

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2005
robcts said:
I received a free iPod last year through one of them, so they aren't a scam. But it's way too much work to do.

I got a 15Gb 3rd Gen. It was a pain in the butt. Big time. I guess if you know a lot of people it might work.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
So the question now is....

Who wants to start an iPod scam with me? You can be #2 on the list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.