Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThanksSteve

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
The iPod combined the marketing genius of Apple with its superior tech design. It's rare that a product be known for a name that was not associated with the original company that came out with it. iPod versus MP3 player in this case.

Tha Professor

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2009
The Mothership
My first iPod was a 10 gig Windows 2nd generation and it was also the first iPod that the employees of a local Mac reseller have seen! It literally changed my Life, I have never stopped listening to music since then and I was 14 y/o :) I still have it, it needs to opened and filled with some cardboard time to time for it to boot..:) Thanks and Happy B-Day, iPod!

PS: please never stop production..:)

flyersgl

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2009
South Jersey, USA
Do people still buy Shuffles? Apple should just get rid of the shuffles or rename the new Nano as the shuffle and keep the 5th gen nano design.

I have an iPhone, a classic, a square Nano in the car and a spare 5th gen connected to speakers (click wheel was balky after a few years so couldn't be my day to day iPod). With all that, my 2nd gen shuffle makes me happy every day at the gym. It is simple, straight forward, and wonderful. While I don't feel especially wedded to click wheel v. Touch screen interface, I DO feel wedded to the price and feeling like it is a simple, mechanical device that just works. I personally don't get the current Nano, but if it came in at a lower price point, it would be ok, though i still think the shuffle makes an awful lot of sense.

Obi-Wan Kubrick

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
iPod packaing

Remember how big the packaging was for the first iPod? The giant box that remained through the 4th generation.

"All that hype for an MP3 player? Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field™ is starting to warp Steve's mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off."

Wow, a MR member posted that. Jee whiz, they were sure wrong. Har har har.

What did quoting an obscure member prove? Im really looking forward to the 10 year retrospective on the iPhone where you quote "ANDroid694EVER". Fail.

Anyhoo, Congrats Apple! Man I sure loved my first (and every one since) iPod

Genetheninja

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Hey I had that one!! Wish I hadn't sold it now! It's worth quite a bit of money on ebay for one in good shape. And NO it DID NOT suck. Mine was awesome! Sold it on eBay when I upgraded and got most of my money back. That's the great thing about Apple products, they hold their value.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
The Difference

Stupid ass forum comments that are negative against any company and new products are usually an example of the major difference between lackluster pundits and those that are making the products....and the money....and changing the way things work. (there's limits of course, see pajama jeans)

Hardly worth paying attention to for more than entertainment.

Only thing lacking in my iPod Touch is a bigger drive, and even that is not a really big deal. I love Apple products, whether I use them or not. I like droid to a degree too. It's the fan clubs that make me want to puke.

motwera

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
I always liked the ipod but I never got to be lucky to have one at least :(
i wish if i can have one
Happy b-day, ipod

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Stupid ass forum comments that are negative against any company and new products are usually an example of the major difference between lackluster pundits and those that are making the products....and the money....and changing the way things work. (there's limits of course, see pajama jeans)

Hardly worth paying attention to for more than entertainment.

Only thing lacking in my iPod Touch is a bigger drive, and even that is not a really big deal. I love Apple products, whether I use them or not. I like droid to a degree too. It's the fan clubs that make me want to puke.

Android? Do you mean stolen intellectual property???
Well... not me.

Simgar988

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2009
UYBAATC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Happy bday iPod!

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
So...is it 100% cinfirmed that the classic will go away now?

How exactly do you come to that conclusion? What's confirmed is the classic was not discontinued this year.

Why do people hate the shuffles and classics so much? If you don't use the product, don't worry about it. It's not inconveniencing you in the slightest.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I remember years ago I was against ever buying an iPod or anything Apple made. I got an Iriver H10 and I thought it was better than the iPod. After using it 1 year and 1 week it died. The following Christmas I and iPod and made me realize how bad the Iriver was. The Iriver would have breaks between songs for live albums and my iPod is still rocking. It's 4-5 years old and yet to have an issue with it.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
Why do people hate the shuffles and classics so much? If you don't use the product, don't worry about it. It's not inconveniencing you in the slightest.

It's the whole "Apple elitist" thing. The people who hate the classic and shuffle are probably the same people who hate Rosetta and optical drives.

poldidak

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Backup hard drive

I'm still using my Gen4 20GB for both listening (and occasional FM radio recording with the Griffin iFM) as well as for a backup drive. 20GB doesn't sound like a lot in this era of "tera"- but it is a handy personal drive for some things I may not want living on my computer all the time!:cool:

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
Wirelessly posted (iPhone Dark: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Cinch said:
Technology moves on. The iPod lives on in the iPhone and iPad. Now that the iPhone is available on most carriers, fewer people need the iPod Touch (which evolved into a gaming machine).

It is no longer called iPod on my iPhone. It is just music now. Has it always been this way?

Wow. Didn't really notice until you mentioned it. Suddenly sad...

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
The first iPod did suck for a $399 product in 2001 dollars.

You clearly didn't buy one in 2001. It was so much better than anything out there. The only one that didn't take hours to transfer your music. Remember, USB 1.1 was the standard then, so for the other players, it took hours to transfer your music. The iPod, being firewire, transferred it in minutes. It was so easy to use and convenient; the scroll-wheel was genius. I was a broke music grad student and I bought one, and it was money well spent. Helped me learn and memorize so much music.

I still have it, and I noticed that it transfers songs to and from a Mac faster than current iPhones!

----------

Oh man not this again. I know you can't name one single component of Android that was stolen from iOS.

Funny how Apple's legal team strongly disagrees and is spending lots of time and money proving it in a court of law.

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
I still remember using it in China the first year, all my friends wants to know what it is and they all loved it.

I may take it out and use it again just for fun :)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Few people have pointed out that the simple NAMES of Apple's products are also one of the factors that have contributed to the company's success: iPod, iPhone, iPad, iMac, MacBook, Apple TV. How can any name be more simple? (Compare: Droid Incredible Insane Omnipotent Galaxy Pro Plus 8.9 with Super AMOLED Plus Pro Powerful screen model i9400slv etc.)

This helps Apple's products to be remembered easily, even in countries that do not use English as their first language. ;)

----------

Wirelessly posted (iPhone Dark: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Wow. Didn't really notice until you mentioned it. Suddenly sad...

The iPhone needed the iPod branding in 2007, but not anymore now.....so... that's why. :(

----------

I still remember using it in China the first year, all my friends wants to know what it is and they all loved it.

I may take it out and use it again just for fun :)

When i first saw an iPod nano in 2005 (the one with screen scratching problems)... I just wow'ed... It's a really really beautiful consumer product... But at that time I was already using my mobile phone for listening to music.. and I always wanted Apple to release an iPod with mobile phone. Two years later, it was there! It's like a dream.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
1. iPhone: 3G wasn't as mature when the iPhone was released. The networks weren't ready, it wasn't as widespread and it drains batteries worse than it does today. Sure, people wanted it on 3G, just like people wanted the 4s to be 4G. It just wasn't the right time.

In Europe and other parts of the world 3G had been around for a few years prior to the iPhone, with many phones already taking advantage.

Now, if your talking about the States, correct, 3G was immature and the networks weren't ready. However, the States isn't the world.

But you are right about the battery drain.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
SPG said:
Nice, but pricey.
Sure the iPod is cool, and hell yeah I'd love to have one, but only for half the asking price of $399. Here's the questions though...
If this is also a 5gb HD, can it be used as a quicktime player for video in any other way?
Is the software that runs it upgradeable to add features later on?
If the ipod is only the world's most baddass MP3 player then I don't know if I'm really going to stand in line to buy it, I have a cd walkman and a burner already, and besides that now that I don't have a dotcom job anymore I need that $400 to pay car payments and rent.
Steve, bring down the price or add video to it and I'll eat TopRamen for a month to afford one.

Quoting myself from ten years ago. Weird.
I did buy a first gen iPod not too long after writing that. I didn't wait for the price to drop or for Apple to add video features, but I simply went in to my local Mac store (pre Apple Store) and tried one out. Sold. Yes it was expensive compared to what was out there, but at the same time it was miles ahead of everything else once you tried it out. What a lot of people are forgetting is that there were other MP3 players out at the time, and a lot of them were fairly small, but so was the sound. The iPod sounded good and the scroll wheel made sense. That was hard to grasp from the initial reports and hard for some people to swallow when they were expecting so much more from such a hyped up announcement. I vaguely remember people expecting a new tablet (Think Newton 2.0, not iPad) or new imac or something even wilder for the "one more thing". In retrospect it's easy to see how much the iPod changed the way people listen to music every day and laid the groundwork for the iTunes store, the iPhone, and also fueled Apple's resurgence and brought it to where it is today.
Since then I've had a few more iPods and just as many iPhones. I'm going to dig out my original iPod from the drawer it's been sitting in for years and see what's on it. The music I was listening to ten years ago should be interesting.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Funny how Apple's legal team strongly disagrees and is spending lots of time and money proving it in a court of law.

Wait what? Are you saying Apple have sued Google over Android, and I have totally missed it?
Regardless, the legal team of the opposing side is sure to strongly disagree with Apple's legal team, so why do you suppose Apple's legal team would automatically be right before any ruling?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.