Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
In the sense that the new form factor is much more versatile and that the "back to its root" software design turned it back to what its name implies : Nano.

And the 6th gen most definitely supports pictures, just not video, which frankly is not something I want to do on a nano, ever. The hardware required for it was compromising the form factor.

You're not getting my point, they shouldn't have downgraded to the tiny screen in the first place. Touchscreen is not a welcome feature at the cost of almost all the other features. Just because the device was meant to play music doesn't mean it should do nothing else, the other features that the click-wheel Nano offered were definitely useful. iPhone though a phone does many other things. If Apple releases an iPhone tomorrow with only phone functionality, it CANNOT be upgrade in anyway. The current Nano is not what the Nano was, its just a touchscreen Shuffle which is a steep downgrade.

iPod market is declining because it isn't compelling anymore - Shuffle - No screen and only 2GB storage, Nano - Can't do anything more than music, Classic - Not many need that much of space, Touch - People have iPhones and/or iPads.

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Siri does not support any of the current iPods..

*sigh*
1. iPhone and ipods have converged. iPhone is an ipod, ipod + phone ++ etc.
2. The claim was the click wheel was the best way to find music.

The ipod angle was moving the goal posts (yet the requirement was still strangely satisfied).

And that is the last I'll discuss that in this thread.

SVegard

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
How exactly do you come to that conclusion? What's confirmed is the classic was not discontinued this year.

Why do people hate the shuffles and classics so much? If you don't use the product, don't worry about it. It's not inconveniencing you in the slightest.

What?!

Why don't you go back two pages and read my other comment from the same page.

Or I can repeat it here. I said I WANT TO GET a iPod Classic ;)

I only asked because of confusion given to me by the people on this forum who (like you say) shouts about how they want Apple to kill products just because they don't need them anymore.

And that is a pain in the back for sure. This forums is soaked in stupid comments of that kind.

-People/consumers don't want that anymore (when a lot of people do, I think some guy early in this thread said that the Classic outsell the other iPods at amazon)
-The anti pro marked. Angry people giving things like the Mac Pro death sentences etc.
-The neverending religious claim that everything Apple do is or will be revolutionary, gamechanging etc. And that because of it everyone should get rid of older products, Apple should disscontinue them and of course.. Abselutly no one uses them more anyway...

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Happy birthday iPod!

250GB iPod classic 10 year anniversary edition anyone?

yes please....people need to be talking more about this--capacity bump...than some of the other comments in this thread.

Seriously, Toshiba makes the 1.8" drive in super high capacity now....Lets just move forward with it....Then i Could put all my movies AND all my music on it.:)))

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You're not getting my point, they shouldn't have downgraded to the tiny screen in the first place. Touchscreen is not a welcome feature at the cost of almost all the other features. Just because the device was meant to play music doesn't mean it should do nothing else, the other features that the click-wheel Nano offered were definitely useful. iPhone though a phone does many other things. If Apple releases an iPhone tomorrow with only phone functionality, it CANNOT be upgrade in anyway. The current Nano is not what the Nano was, its just a touchscreen Shuffle which is a steep downgrade.

The old Nano is turning into an iPod touch without apps. With the iPod touch now being 199$, there was little reason left to have such a Nano around, especially since its form factor was anything but Nano. It was becoming a behemoth and losing it's whole sense of existence : being the smallest yet most versatile music player.

The 6th brought it back. Sure it might have pissed off a few people that loved the click wheel beyond reason and wanted to absolutely watch videos all day from 6 GB of storage on a 2.2" screen, but then again, they opened up a new market : those people like me that find the shuffle too limited and wanted a full featured and very small and out of the way music player.

The 6th gen is just that, a very small and out of the music player that is full featured, much more than a shuffle with none of the fluff of the iPod Touch/5th gen Nano.

I think the original premise of this sub-thread was : "The new 6th gen iPod Nano is useless". Well, sorry, but it's not. It is quite useful in fact, to me and others who enjoy it.

----------

Really? The Zune falls under 2 of those categories. You saying it was a success?

You're missing the part where the Zune fails at a bunch of other stuff (including it's time of arrival on the market, in a market on the decline as most people move their music to consolidated devices, ie, smartphones) which prevented it from being a success.

The original iPod as released would never have made a big splash because it was a niche product that was exclusive to another niche product at the time, not because of a lack of polish or design or time to market. The price drop, the move to USB and the Windows compatibility are all things that were required before the iPod become the runaway success it has been in the last year. The Zune came late to a saturated market with a lack of design and polish and eco-system.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Hilarious that people going back to that old thread are downvoting posts from ten years ago.

jmpnop

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2010
The old Nano is turning into an iPod touch without apps. With the iPod touch now being 199$, there was little reason left to have such a Nano around, especially since its form factor was anything but Nano. It was becoming a behemoth and losing it's whole sense of existence : being the smallest yet most versatile music player.

The 6th brought it back. Sure it might have pissed off a few people that loved the click wheel beyond reason and wanted to absolutely watch videos all day from 6 GB of storage on a 2.2" screen, but then again, they opened up a new market : those people like me that find the shuffle too limited and wanted a full featured and very small and out of the way music player.

The 6th gen is just that, a very small and out of the music player that is full featured, much more than a shuffle with none of the fluff of the iPod Touch/5th gen Nano.

I think the original premise of this sub-thread was : "The new 6th gen iPod Nano is useless". Well, sorry, but it's not. It is quite useful in fact, to me and others who enjoy it.

Obviously nobody watches a movie on iPod Nano. Having the feature is definitely better than not having it at all. And if you read my first post I've said its useless compared to 5th gen which was more of an all round device. Just because a device has features of another doesn't mean it has to be removed. Just because iPad is similar to Kindle for reading books doesn't mean Apple shouldn't include books functionality. This sort of reasoning doesn't make sense. The new Nano is more suited for gym, running, etc but that isn't what people do most of the time. It may be more suited for you but the downgrade clearly shows decline in sales.

RichardBeer

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
England
What I loved about the classic influenced iPods is their form factor. The curved design which makes them really nice to hold and fit nicely in the pocket.

ZipZapRap

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2011
The only Apple product I really like. Thanks Apple, big fan of the Classic.

Except for the little bits of software you ran in the background on my computer, but that's another issue!

Illumination

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Georgia, USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

SVegard said:
How exactly do you come to that conclusion? What's confirmed is the classic was not discontinued this year.

Why do people hate the shuffles and classics so much? If you don't use the product, don't worry about it. It's not inconveniencing you in the slightest.

What?!

Why don't you go back two pages and read my other comment from the same page.

Or I can repeat it here. I said I WANT TO GET a iPod Classic ;)

I only asked because of confusion given to me by the people on this forum who (like you say) shouts about how they want Apple to kill products just because they don't need them anymore.

And that is a pain in the back for sure. This forums is soaked in stupid comments of that kind.

-People/consumers don't want that anymore (when a lot of people do, I think some guy early in this thread said that the Classic outsell the other iPods at amazon)
-The anti pro marked. Angry people giving things like the Mac Pro death sentences etc.
-The neverending religious claim that everything Apple do is or will be revolutionary, gamechanging etc. And that because of it everyone should get rid of older products, Apple should disscontinue them and of course.. Abselutly no one uses them more anyway...

Ahaha sorry. I think I saw your post quoted, so I just went back to it.

Hitrate

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Copenhagen
Only think I don't like a about this is that iPod is now called Music on the iOS devices and with a crappier icon...should have stuck with the iPod brand there as well..

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Only think I don't like a about this is that iPod is now called Music on the iOS devices and with a crappier icon...should have stuck with the iPod brand there as well..
I just wish they'd make up their mind, I'm tired of them changing it. Having video embedded was stupid, though.

jmccall

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
I remember looking at that thing and thinking, "300+ just for music? That's never gone sell"...man was I wrong.

At least you can own up to it as most people will deny, deny, deny. Good on you! I too couldn't justify the price of iPods back in the day but now I'm :apple: all the way.

jmccall

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Had it been released with USB 1.0 the device would have sucked. Most of the early adopters would have been Mac users as there target market. Windows support took less than a year and was still only FireWire as USB. 2.0 was hardly available. If I remember correctly USB 2.0 started coming out in 2003. My dell Inspiron 8500 was one of the only dell laptops to have USB 2.0 and that was the spring of 2003. I'm pretty sure the most early adopters had a Mac or a pc with FireWire.

Had apple made some priparitory connector, then it would have been a fail. The few month delay for windows support was also acceptable. Apple back then was small and did not have the resources they have today. Notice that the apple tv 2 supported windows from the beginning!!!

Again, as many have pointed out, why are we talking about had Apple have done this or Apple had done that then it would've failed? The point of the article was to bring to light the iPods success on its 10 year anniversary. That is clearly evident with the runaway success of the iPod/iPhone line.

jmccall

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
I remember thinking at the time that the iPod was a nice little device but too costly for listening to music. Then I heard that it also could be used to store data (like a thumb-drive of today) so one could carry data around, and that got my interest. The fact that drive manufacturers had been able to shrink a HD down to somewhat the size of a U.S. quarter also impressed me.

It was an exciting time with a lot of amazing things happening, so it wasn't really all that odd that Apple and Steve would go through so much hoopla to introduce and promote the iPod. A few years later I was in Chicago and every train stop on the loop was advertising the iPod with their iconic dancing silhouettes with the white earphone cords.

All that said, I love iTunes and use it but have never owned an iPod or any other similar device.

Looks like you need to place one on your wishlist for Christmas :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.