Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I'm going to get a Macbook Pro after they refresh them possibly this March. I'm trying to learn iOS app development and I may do some web browsing and watch videos on YouTube. I won't be downloading too many files as I use a Windows PC for that. Do you think that iOS programming will take up the 128GB fast?

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
What are you going to be programming? Basic apps or games? If games, are you going to have a lot of graphical assets and video content?

squarebreathing

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2016
Baltimore
I don't think so. I really recommend having 256gb or higher as 128gb leaves you with roughly 100-110 GB of free space (OSX and the apps included can take up a fair amount of space) and if you fully load up a SSD it may slow things down in the system.

If it is too high for your budget you could always look at closeout specials on new, earlier rMBP models that go on discount after the refresh. At the end of 2014 I was able to get a late 13 inch 2013 rMBP brand new with 256GB SSD and 8GB ram (which wasn't standard at the time it was made) for $1100.

If you really want the newest model and can only do 128 GB, then get some sort of external hard drive solution. Even a 128GB SD card would work well for all your files.

Reactions: Goatllama

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
It´s hard, but possible..
I have the 128GB, since where I live the difference between 128GB and 256GB was about $410 when I bought mine last summer.. For $410 you can buy a lot of other stuff..
A nice external hard drive, thumb dives or SD/MicroSD cards..

128GB is more than enough for OS+Apps but there is not much room left for music/videos/photos..
Non of those things benefit from the super fast SSD anyway so having them on another drive is ok.

Reactions: macuser27

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
What are you going to be programming? Basic apps or games? If games, are you going to have a lot of graphical assets and video content?
I'm thinking of programming basic games and apps, do you think that they will require a large amount of storage?

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
I'm thinking of programming basic games and apps, do you think that they will require a large amount of storage?
It depends. If you're doing 3D work you are going to need Xcode, the modeling tool like Maya, Photoshop for the textures, space for the graphic assets project files, music and sound effects files.

128GB will probably be ok for installing the software onto the machine but you will want a SD card or micro SD card drive that fits flush in your MacBook's SD card slot. Keep in mind they are not as fast as the SSD but they are not as bad as a spinning drive.

Is the laptop going to be your only machine or are you going to have another machine like a desktop to work from? You might be able to use network storage.

Ovedius

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2012
Norway
I would strongly advice against it.

Managing constrained storage space becomes an unbearable pain in the ass after sooner rather than later.
When it comes to storage, more the merrier. Max out that credit card!
-even more so when it's not really feasible to upgrade it yourself at a later stage.

Reactions: wlossw

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Who knows what the base SSD size in the new MBP will be? I suspect it will be 128GB, but it maybe 256GB.

I have an iOS app (audio application) in the App Store. Besides that app, I did variations of the app to test things out, I have an OSX version for my own use, I have a couple of networking and other libraries (GNU source code), plus a bunch of example programs. Some graphics are used in the program, but not much. All of this takes up about 450MB. The Xcode.app directory on my computer takes up 4.7GB. There's also a directory in my home directory, ~/Library/Developer, which takes up over 10GB. That may vary - I may have a bunch of different old simulators and other stuff in there that may not be there if you're starting out fresh.

If you use graphics and other "assets" for your programs, the space required can expand considerably. If you use vector graphics, you won't use much space at all. So if you really do only have the requirements you listed in your original post and if the assets required by your program aren't large in size, you can get by with 128GB. But you should consider if it's acceptable to use an external device, be it a drive or SD card if you need it in the future.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Also keep in mind that the 128 is only reaching half the write speeds compared to the 256gb model.

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
I think 128GB is perfectly manageable - it's what I have on my MBA. Get a Transcent JetDrive if you don't use the SD card slot - it's a SD card made for the Macbook that will just stay in place and not stick out. You can get the 128GB these days for only £45 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Transcend-J...=UTF8&qid=1455701148&sr=8-1&keywords=jetdrive

Of course you won't get SSD speeds for whatever storage you have in there, but it's perfect for music/films/etc. I've dumped my entire iTunes library on mine. A lot more economical than the £200 upgrade to a 256GB SSD. FWIW, I think they will stick with 128GB SSD in the new rMBP so that they can keep the base model's price low.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
I have a 2013 128GB, I still more than 50% left after nearly 3 years as i store everything on a NAS device.

giffut

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
I would say that if all of your data could fit either on a 256 or 512GB SSD with lots of headroom left (50% recommended), upgrade the internal SSD. But if it´s more, than use an external hard drive.

I had an internal 512GB SSD in my Macbook Pro, but as my foto/video library grows and grows, it was a hazel to make it fit there. So I downgraded to a 128GB system only SSD drive and got my wife the 512GB SSD to speed up her Macbook from 2008. Her libraries are somewhat smaller than mine, although I store most of the family fotos anyways.

The advantage of an external data drive is instant access on any other computer in case your first one breaks for whatever reason and you haven´t backed up your main drive.

That said - backup backup backup any drive at least once, better thrice - never forget!!!

Reactions: LudicrousLampost

KimUsername

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I'm going to get a Macbook Pro after they refresh them possibly this March. I'm trying to learn iOS app development and I may do some web browsing and watch videos on YouTube. I won't be downloading too many files as I use a Windows PC for that. Do you think that iOS programming will take up the 128GB fast?

Hi Aditya_S:

I have a 500 GB SSD with a 500 GB HD in the optical bay as well as an external drive.
I like to move everything off my SSD and it still has 142 GB on it.
I think 128 GB is unrealistic and that is probably the reason they put 256 GB in the MacBook.
I would think the absolute minimum you want is 256 GB.

Kim

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
They have those memory cards now that don't stick out of the slots super cheap. I wouldn't worry too much about what the Pro comes with.

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
I don't use my MacBook for heavy lifting but I feel like it could be used in a pinch. Mine only has the 128GB storage. In actuality it is 120GB on the drive. With my software installed on it I have about 47GB free. I bought this Flash SD Card drive and micro SD card for it. With tax it was about $70.00 total. It performs adequately. It is much faster then a spinning hard drive but not as fast as the SSD. One thing to note is it is the full advertised 128GB. There are larger micro sd cards but they cost a lot more. I feel like this solution was enough for me.
Flush SD Card.png

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
As stated above, I can highly recommend the Transcend Jetdrive - $65.99 for 128GB on Amazon US. I bought the 64GB a year ago and am very pleased with it.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
It depends. If you're doing 3D work you are going to need Xcode, the modeling tool like Maya, Photoshop for the textures, space for the graphic assets project files, music and sound effects files.

128GB will probably be ok for installing the software onto the machine but you will want a SD card or micro SD card drive that fits flush in your MacBook's SD card slot. Keep in mind they are not as fast as the SSD but they are not as bad as a spinning drive.

Is the laptop going to be your only machine or are you going to have another machine like a desktop to work from? You might be able to use network storage.
Actually SD cards are typically slower or equal to HDD. HDD with USB 2.0 is approximately 30 MB/s read and write while with USB 3.0 that bumps up to 200 MB/s read and write. SD cards are typically around 30 MB/s read and write though more expensive ones have read and write speeds of around 100 MB/s while one typically named "professional" have read and write speed of up to 200 MB/s or greater but it is a significantly price difference.

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
Actually SD cards are typically slower or equal to HDD. HDD with USB 2.0 is approximately 30 MB/s read and write while with USB 3.0 that bumps up to 200 MB/s read and write. SD cards are typically around 30 MB/s read and write though more expensive ones have read and write speeds of around 100 MB/s while one typically named "professional" have read and write speed of up to 200 MB/s or greater but it is a significantly price difference.
The Micro SD card I bought maxes at 60MB/s. The card in question is 128GB and the price is now even a little less then I paid at $35. I suppose technically a 5400RPM drive with higher density would be about 40MB/s faster. My point though was the SD Card isn't going to be blazing fast but it will serve the purpose of expanding the amount of storage on the laptop without being massively slow.

That said if the OP can swing it more SSD storage would be better but it isn't the end of the world if the OP goes with a 128GB SSD and uses a SD Card drive.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2013
The Micro SD card I bought maxes at 60MB/s.

And that is more than enough to open mp3´s, photos, videos and office documents. :)

I have a samsung 64GB, and there is no issue running apps or open files from it.

Attachments

• samsung64.png
    samsung64.png
    911.6 KB · Views: 470

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If you can push to 256 I would do that. I feel like 128 will fill up fast especially if that is your only machine. I thought about the same as you and frankly, 128 GB doesn't seem like enough considering how much storage space I think most of us are used to.

Aditya_S

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
If I do go with the 128GB SSD and 128GB SD card, would the storage speeds be noticeably slower with the SD card or are the speed differences between the SSD and SD Card not big enough to notice?

Daisy81

Suspended
Dec 29, 2015
Virginia
The SD card is slower then the SSD but it's not bad. It's fast enough for me to play XCom and Civ5 and not feel like it is slower. I'm sure the load times are a little longer but not severe.

Photoshop saves to the disc at a decent speed too. It's no different then using a SD card in a android phone to expand the memory.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If I do go with the 128GB SSD and 128GB SD card, would the storage speeds be noticeably slower with the SD card or are the speed differences between the SSD and SD Card not big enough to notice?
The SD card is noticeably slower but it depends on how you layout the storage. I think a 128 drive is short sighted. It may save a few bucks initially but if you find you need more space the cost to upgrade will be significant. If you decide to buy a different MBP the resale value of the 128 is much lower and the new machine will cost more. You can pay me now or pay me later.

Reactions: SackJabbit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.