Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Ever since Apple introduced these colors in 2012, it's all they've been using on all of their colored products. I'm not a huge fan of these desaturated/pastel colors and I am so disappointed that they decided to continue to keep using these colors for the Apple Sport bands. I feel they could've switched it up a little and offered a wider variety of colors or even brought back some of the vibrant colors they used for the 4th & 5th-generation iPod nano. I would love to see these bold colors make a return on their devices again. Does anyone else agree with me or am I just being nitpicky?

(the Product Red iPhone 6 silicone case I do like very much - I'm only referring to the other colors)

Attachments

• Photo Mar 24, 3 24 17 AM.jpg
    Photo Mar 24, 3 24 17 AM.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 596
Last edited:

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Apple panders to Soccer moms and older women especially. The 60 and 70 year old ladies love pastel colours. The feminism at Apple is rewarded as that demographic is eager to show their kids they're cool and relavent grandma and grandpa's. Metrosexuals also love soft pastel colors.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Apple panders to Soccer moms and older women especially. The 60 and 70 year old ladies love pastel colours. They're feminism at Apple is rewarded as that demographic is eager to show their kids they're cool and relavent grandma and grandpa's. Metrosexuals also love soft pastel colors.

Hmm, I had never quite thought of it like this before. As for the metrosexuals, I'm not sure they like this? I'm a gay male and I still think these colors are gross so I don't know that the metro guys would like these any better, but who knows. I just wish they'd offer a wider variety other than coral, highlighter yellow, and baby blue.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Hmm, I had never quite thought of it like this before. As for the metrosexuals, I'm not sure they like this? I'm a gay male and I still think these colors are gross so I don't know that the metro guys would like these any better, but who knows. I just wish they'd offer a wider variety other than coral, highlighter yellow, and baby blue.

I have very close friends both from college and work here in the San Francisco tech scene that are brilliant gay men. Only a few like the current colors, yet called to my attention it's an array of very popular colors for Metrosexuals, perhaps that's unique to San Francisco.

Yet you're point is excellent since several of my friends and myself would be very happy if Apple offered some bold colors, it would be easy and assure even more sales. Choices always equate to additional sales.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Apple panders to Soccer moms and older women especially. The 60 and 70 year old ladies love pastel colours. The feminism at Apple is rewarded as that demographic is eager to show their kids they're cool and relavent grandma and grandpa's. Metrosexuals also love soft pastel colors.

Wow. Way to marginalize tons of people, while overgeneralizing in the process.

No, I'm not a huge fan of the pastels, either (I recently got upgraded to an iPhone 5C as my work phone, and made a point of picking the white one.) But to try to claim that pastels are for "soccer moms and older women"?

P.S. I know many women who would fall under the definition of "soccer mom" who would take offense at the use of the phrase as an insult. Mostly because I can almost guarantee these "soccer moms" are way more badass than you. (Such as the lady in the top-right of this picture: http://kptv.images.worldnow.com/images/6866768_G.jpg)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

I'm none of those, and I like those colors. Perhaps people regardless of how you decide to categorize them like those colors. They're a lot better then white/gold/space gray.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Wow. Way to marginalize tons of people, while overgeneralizing in the process.

No, I'm not a huge fan of the pastels, either (I recently got upgraded to an iPhone 5C as my work phone, and made a point of picking the white one.) But to try to claim that pastels are for "soccer moms and older women"?

P.S. I know many women who would fall under the definition of "soccer mom" who would take offense at the use of the phrase as an insult. Mostly because I can almost guarantee these "soccer moms" are way more badass than you. (Such as the lady in the top-right of this picture: http://kptv.images.worldnow.com/images/6866768_G.jpg)

Well said. These are pretty much my exact thoughts, too, when I read what technosix had written.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Ever since Apple introduced these colors in 2012, it's all they've been using on all of their colored products. I'm not a huge fan of these desaturated/pastel colors and I am so disappointed that they decided to continue to keep using these colors for the Apple Sport bands. I feel they could've switched it up a little and offered a wider variety of colors or even brought back some of the vibrant colors they used for the 4th & 5th-generation iPod nano. I would love to see these bold colors make a return on their devices again. Does anyone else agree with me or am I just being nitpicky?

(the Product Red iPhone 6 silicone case I do like very much - I'm only referring to the other colors)

Re the actual question asked, no, I am not 'sick' of these Apple colours, but neither am I particularly attracted to them. Actually, indifference would best describe my reaction to them.

I suppose the real question then is whether or not they would influence a purchase, and if so, how. In that context, - unless I really needed (as opposed to merely wanted) the product in question, I wouldn't buy any of them as I don't much care for the colour. But colour is not the sole or main criteria for such a purchase.

As I never had an iPod nano, the vibrant colours weren't an issue either way, but I seem to recall that they didn't do much for me, either. Likewise, in the days when Apple computers came in wild colours, I wasn't terribly enthused.

While I'm not a '60 year old or a 70 year old lady who is trying to show anyone that I'm cool' or a 'soccer mom' (wow, how much casual contempt can one squeeze into a single sentence for an entire demographic?), I am female, a former academic, bespectacled and irked rather easily, and I didn't much like either the pastel shades or the vibrant ones. Me, I like black…….

Reactions: Ashka

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
I'm none of those, and I like those colors. Perhaps people regardless of how you decide to categorize them like those colors. They're a lot better then white/gold/space gray.

You're right, I'm not suggesting the colors were specifically for those groups only, but rather how smart Apple is to market the way they do.

It's certainly no secret that Apple is highly skilled, experienced, and always relevant in their marketing strategies.

There isn't another corporation of any size that strikes me as being as clever and successful in marketing across the globe. No matter how great any companies products are, ideal, effective marketing is a crucial part of the companies success.

Apple's expertise speaks for itself.

----------

While I'm not a '60 year old or a 70 year old lady who is trying to show anyone that I'm cool' or a 'soccer mom' (wow, how much casual contempt can one squeeze into a single sentence for an entire demographic?)

Respectfully you misinterpreted my point.

I have no disrespect or dislike for the group my wife is part of ie: she's a soccer mom... :)

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
I don't want them to go away, but I also like the bolder ones they used on the iPod Nanos....would like to see more of the green and blue especially..

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I like the pastel colours, they aren't too ostentatious and seem to 'go' with lots of other colours compared to darker, saturated colours.

I don't like the yellow they use though - no Apple product has ever looked nice in yellow in my opinion.

Reactions: ctrlzone

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Personally I like silver, grey or black. Pastel on the other hand I can live without since I consider myself as a manly man. You don't have to agree with me, that's fine. Everyone is entitled to have his or her's opinion.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I stole that from Eddard Stark, Lord Paramount of the North, Hand of the King.

It is neither theft nor plagiarism if it is properly cited and acknowledged.

But - as I would have written on a student paper back in the days when I graded student papers - 'very good use of an original source material'.

ohenriquez

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
Pink for the "manly man" and black for "soccer mom"

This is subject to perception and a colour does not have to represent sexuality
I am a heterosexual man
I like the pink version and that does not make me less "manly"
I just did not get it because it does not have 128 GB and nice camera like the iphone 6 (wife did not want me to but the iPhone 5C pink as it is the one she wanted foe her ha)
I have friends who are homosexual and don't like pink, "soccer moms" friends who also hate pink, baby blue, etc and they like black

What amount of prejudice in here

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

I'm a Grandpa who likes the green and yellow pastels, plus white, black, gold, and space grey. My current phone is gold with a clear case and a white bumper on the front that matches the white front of the phone. The most striking iphone is the black iphone with a black hard case. The iPhone is beautiful and best shown off with a case that conforms to its rounded edges, although I won't say that minimalist hard cases offer the best protection. :)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Didn't the "metrosexual" fade away when Bravo cancelled "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy"? That was a long, long time ago.

I honestly don't give a thought to the colors in question, because Apple uses them on products I'm not interested in to begin with. No iPod Touch, no iPhone 5C. Apple Watch has many, many more band options to choose from. If someone prefers those other colors and those products, it's no skin off my back.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI

Seriously!?

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Didn't the "metrosexual" fade away when Bravo cancelled "Queer Eye For The Straight Guy"? That was a long, long time ago.

I thought the new term was "lumber sexual". You know, guys with flannel shirts, hiking boots that have never seen dirt, neatly trimmed beards, and perfect hair. But I don't even try to keep up with that stuff....

Back in the day, you could identify the iMac model by the color pallet as it changed with every (other) revision. But in today's reality, Apple needs to stick with colors that sell and keep the pallet limited because retailers don't want to stock 33 colors of essentially the same product.

I wonder what it costs Apple to develop, market test, and reformulate a new color pallet... I imagine there have been a few colors over the years that were dropped because the couldn't get them consistent or to look right.

Another thought- the higher end the Apple gear, the fewer the color choices...

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
This is subject to perception and a colour does not have to represent sexuality
I am a heterosexual man
I like the pink version and that does not make me less "manly"
I just did not get it because it does not have 128 GB and nice camera like the iphone 6 (wife did not want me to but the iPhone 5C pink as it is the one she wanted foe her ha)
I have friends who are homosexual and don't like pink, "soccer moms" friends who also hate pink, baby blue, etc and they like black

What amount of prejudice in here

Assumption is how people get so emotional, but then again many Apple lovers are emotionally connected to their stuff. I've never seen a smartphone called sexy and being carried nude, except in an Apple forum. The fans are a very polarizing lot.

What's wrong with being a soccer mom? No one is bashing a soccer coach....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.