Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I like Samsung hardware, but like Sony they seem to pull their software engineers off a product the moment it's out of beta.

Apple on the other hand gives you about 3 years of constant software updates on their products.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Given that it's 16:9, maybe it fits in a shirt pocket. I have to check.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I was tempted. This spring, I figured I'd be deciding between the Note 3 and the iPhone 5S, and was actually leaning toward going with the Note 3.

Then, the last few months, the battery on my Galaxy S3 has been terrible. Sprint said that there wasn't anything wrong with the battery and that it was in good health. No amount of reformatting or adjusting settings would fix it. If I didn't kill any apps after I was done using them, they just sucked the battery dry. Being my first Android, I don't know if this was something I was doing wrong or what, but I didn't want to chance that happening again.

So far, the battery on my 5S has been great. MUCH better than my GS3, I assume because of the way iOS handles background apps vs. the way Android does.

I loved a lot about Android (especially the vanilla-ish Android I installed), but definitely not power management.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
After owning the Samsung Ativ S the answer is a definit;

Nyet Comrade!

So glad to be back with iOS and the loverly 5s. :D

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I like Samsung hardware, but like Sony they seem to pull their software engineers off a product the moment it's out of beta.

Apple on the other hand gives you about 3 years of constant software updates on their products.

Like I mentioned which devices are you referring too? Seems like the S2 having Jelly Bean is on par with Apple updates.

Can't say it will stay like that but seems like decent support to me.

linsam

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
Irvine, CA
I currently have a Note II and I'm more tempted by the gold iPhone 5S than the Note 3. After using an oversized phone for awhile I'm now ready for the iPhone again.

I totally understand your post. I have used a Note 2 since December, but just bought a 5S this past Saturday. The Note 2 is an amazing device and I am sure the Note 3 will be awesome as well. However, I also got tired of having an over sized phone. Now that I am back to using an iPhone, again, I could not be happier. :)

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I have one on pre-order and expect it soon, but I have no intention of dropping my iPhone. I have specific use cases in mind for the Note 3 and if it performs, it will be a device I carry into the field as my business phone, while my iPhone becomes my personal smartphone.

The size actually plays into my use case....couldn't do this with something as small as an iPhone 5/5S. Maybe the 6, but more likely a retina iPad Mini is what I really need/want.

As for size of the thing for phone use, I use a bluetooth headset anyways, so no big deal there. It will just stay in my pocket/bag when I'm mobile.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
I never understood this lame argument. I had no trouble using the S3, S4, and Note 2 one handed.

You can hold the Note 2 in one hand and reach the bottom of the screen and then all the way to the top to drag the notification bar? You must have the longest thumb in the history of mankind. I would have to adjust my grip several times to reach the top and then the bottom of the screen. Playing hand gymnastics like that makes for an uncomfortable time and more prone to you dropping your phone. The Note 3 has an even larger screen, no way you are using it fully with one hand and your thumb without fumbling around with it. But if thats your thing, have fun. The fun factor will end after a few weeks and then you are left with a gigantic phone thats uncomfortable to use unless you can two hand it all the time and its even more uncomfortable to carry around in your pocket.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
You can hold the Note 2 in one hand and reach the bottom of the screen and then all the way to the top to drag the notification bar? You must have the longest thumb in the history of mankind. I would have to adjust my grip several times to reach the top and then the bottom of the screen. Playing hand gymnastics like that makes for an uncomfortable time and more prone to you dropping your phone. The Note 3 has an even larger screen, no way you are using it fully with one hand and your thumb without fumbling around with it. But if thats your thing, have fun. The fun factor will end after a few weeks and then you are left with a gigantic phone thats uncomfortable to use unless you can two hand it all the time and its even more uncomfortable to carry around in your pocket.

Thank you :)

You put it much better than I could have.

Glad others out there get it.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
And a lot of people use both hands.

Not saying they don't, but the OP asked if people were tempted by the Note 3. I said I am not as I value one handed operation, as do a lot of other customers, so it's a valid response and reason for us customers to stick with a smaller screen.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Not saying they don't, but the OP asked if people were tempted by the Note 3. I said I am not as I value one handed operation, as do a lot of other customers, so it's a valid response and reason for us customers to stick with a smaller screen.

I'm sorry, but you never know who is just parroting the Apple RDF here.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
I'm sorry, but you never know who is just parroting the Apple RDF here.

No worries, I'm just happy to have discussions with you and others regardless :)

The field has probably had an effect on me at one time or another though :eek: just not on the kool-aid atm.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
And a lot of people use both hands.

steve-jobs-using-iphone.jpg

Mr. Jobs agrees.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012
yeah, im selling my gold 5s to get the note 3 on friday. And no im not kidding or being sarcastic. The note just offers more productivity to me than the iphone and a much longer battery life

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Eagerly anticipating my preorder note 3. Played with the 5s for a few minutes today. Had to swing by starbucks for a americano after. Meh ios7 is nice. Few cool little features here, and there. The thing is tiny though after using my note 2 for 6 months. 4 inches isn't even a option for me anymore. The iphone could have a core i7 processor , with 2 SLI GPUa, and a full frame dslr folded up in it, and I still wouldn't want it. Too small.

Once apple comes out with the big iphone I will consider switching back. For now the crown of ultimate phone is on the note 3.

If tiny phones are your thing more power to you. Trust me though having all that real estate on your screen for activities is mighty nice.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Its like the bat signal goes up for Samsung hate the moment someone mentions another device over an iPhone up in here and they come running to the chum like great whites.

Its very entertaining.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
yeah, im selling my gold 5s to get the note 3 on friday. And no im not kidding or being sarcastic. The note just offers more productivity to me than the iphone and a much longer battery life

Even in a year, your gold iPhone will be worth twice what the Note 3 will be. The Note's value will drop next month when the next big Android phone comes out. Make sure you get a lot for it though, they are still selling for over a grand. The battery life is not longer either. Look at the Note 3 thread, users are getting 3-5 hours usage. I get over 6 on my 5s. The bigger battery is canceled out by the much larger and full 1080p display.

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Even in a year, your gold iPhone will be worth twice what the Note 3 will be. The Note's value will drop next month when the next big Android phone comes out. Make sure you get a lot for it though, they are still selling for over a grand. The battery life is not longer either. Look at the Note 3 thread, users are getting 3-5 hours usage. I get over 6 on my 5s. The bigger battery is canceled out by the much larger and full 1080p display.

Lol note 2s are still $4-500 phones on craigslist out here, and the guy with the first note 3 posted 6+ hours of screen time.

kenknotts

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2013
Lol note 2s are still $4-500 phones on craigslist out here, and the guy with the first note 3 posted 6+ hours of screen time.

Wow, where do you live? They are going $275-$350 out here in southern California. I had a hell of a time even getting $400 for my 3 month old S4.

thecurryman

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2012

well apple has a weird way of measuring "usage"... On the note 3 thread ive seen between 5-6 hours of on screen time whereas my iphone 5s gets about 7 hours of "usage". However, that usage is not just screen on time but also when the phone is being used without the screen (ie: music). Battery life so far seems on par with the note 2.

Ive seen how much the gold is going and its ridiculous! Hopefully I can get enough to even make my note 3 purchase free!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.