Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gadger Snr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
Is it possible to create a copy of new clean install of imac on to my MacBook Pro

Both Mac’s have the same OSX 10.11 (El Capitan) operating system

I’ve just formatted my 2011 imac, with a clean instead. Getting it all fine tuned, takes a few hours to set up, of how l like it to be setup.

How can I now save time by putting a copy of this new clean hard Drive install on my MacBook Pro aswell, giving this too a new clean install as well at the same time

Do I do a apple migration from the new clean install on the Imac to the MacBook as setting up the MacBook pro for the first time.

Of do I use Carbon Copy Cloner and do a full copy of the Imac and then put this on the MacBook Pro

Also I need to do a back up of the imac now it’s got the new clean install, so if in the future, any problems I can just go back to the original install, to do this do I use apple time machine. Or make a extra copy using the Carbon Copy Cloner.

Cheers for help

Gadger

Sorry for any bad spelling or grammar (Dyslexic) :)

pommie82

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2011
uk
The simple and quickest way is just to create a second account on your machine if one gets in a mess then you can just swap over and don't put anything on that account

It would save a lot of time and effort for you to I have done it for a number of years if I do get any problems then I just swap over and then I have everything back to normal you don't really need to reformat your machine because a new account is a as good as a reformat.

Then all you do is make the other account as master account grab all the stuff of the other account you want with a external drive then you are good to go again and in fine working order

Gadger Snr

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2011
The simple and quickest way is just to create a second account on your machine if one gets in a mess then you can just swap over and don't put anything on that account

It would save a lot of time and effort for you to I have done it for a number of years if I do get any problems then I just swap over and then I have everything back to normal you don't really need to reformat your machine because a new account is a as good as a reformat.

Then all you do is make the other account as master account grab all the stuff of the other account you want with a external drive then you are good to go again and in fine working order

Thank you for the reply pommie82, I understand that, about making a new account if I get the problems in the future. But how do I put this new clean install from the imac on to the Macbook pro, so they are matching setups? This would be so helpful.

Gadger (from UK too :))

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My suggestion is different.

IF you are COMPLETELY HAPPY with how your iMac is doing, I would:
1. Create a CarbonCopyCloner bootable clone to an external drive
2. Connect external to MacBook and try to boot.
3. Does it boot? Does it run as you like? Are you happy with what you see?
4. If so, re-intialize MB drive and "re-clone" your CCC back to the internal drive.
5. Reboot from the MB. How are things now? Look good? Does everything seem to work? Are you happy?

If so, run with it.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Of do I use Carbon Copy Cloner and do a full copy of the Imac and then put this on the MacBook Pro

This right here. Use CCC to clone the iMac to an external drive then option key boot to that drive on the MacBook and clone the external to the internal with CCC and you are done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.