Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
applecare peep assures me that 14A388b & 14A389 are the same (which explains why when i go to DL yosemite, i'm told i already have it on my mac)... am assuming that's the truth...!

I wouldn't trust that. There's a good chance that whenever 10.10.1 is updated, it'll require 14A389. Given that there's zero documentation as to what's changed from the prerelease to the public release version, it's a good idea to update.

phphreak

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2009
I assume that the Yosemite Beta Feedback Assistant disappearing will signal a successful update to the non Beta version of Yosemite.

So far, I haven't seen that update in the Mac App Store.

ljmac

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
Great White North
On Public Beta 6 and only had Pages / Numbers / Keynote and iTunes update appear over here.

No Yosemite update yet.

I think that people on beta 6 will not see an update for a while so we can report any potential problems to Apple using feedback assistant. seems like we are on the final already with very little (if any) difference to public release. After all we are the beta users.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
Problem is the final installer won't install over PB6 - it says Yosemite is already installed. So the only option appears to be a wipe and clean install, then use migration assistant to put everything back. Which takes HOURS.

I kinda wish Apple would issue some kind of statement.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I assume that the Yosemite Beta Feedback Assistant disappearing will signal a successful update to the non Beta version of Yosemite.

So far, I haven't seen that update in the Mac App Store.

I updated using the installer from the MAS and still have the feedback assistant app on my machine. Also showing under System Preferences > App Store the "your computer is set to update to prerelease updates" or something like that ( I have my Mac using Spanish as my main language :p) Wonder why...

jasmine84

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Toronto ON
I'm sure they'll let us know at some point. Today was a busy day... since we basically already have the same as today's release, perhaps they won't update us for a few days. It's possible we may get an e-mail "thanks for beta testing" or something. I am going to leave it for now. My PB6 is working swimmingly and I'd hate to do anything to mess up my Mac.

dagdagdag234

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
This is my instinct too. Hard to imagine Apple running this public beta test and then never acknowledging to the beta testers how to finalize the OS.

They must know that many beta testers (like moi) have no experience with such matters and need to be talked through the process.

I'm sure they'll let us know at some point. Today was a busy day... since we basically already have the same as today's release, perhaps they won't update us for a few days. It's possible we may get an e-mail "thanks for beta testing" or something. I am going to leave it for now. My PB6 is working swimmingly and I'd hate to do anything to mess up my Mac.

jasmine84

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Toronto ON
This is my instinct too. Hard to imagine Apple running this public beta test and then never acknowledging to the beta testers how to finalize the OS.

They must know that many beta testers (like moi) have no experience with such matters and need to be talked through the process.

Ditto... just wanted Yosemite ASAP! :)

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
OK guys.

There isn't an upgrade to the final public release build.

Go to the Mac App Store, go to Yosemite and download the full install, it will tell you 10.10 is installed do you want to continue. You say continue.

Once it download it will start the install and ask you a few questions, like where to install, just choose the drive you are already using.

This will update you to 14A389.

You only get updates for 10.10.x releases. We aren't in developer or beta phase any longer so the rules change.
Same thing every year for as long as I can remember.

Final public releases are full installs but you may use that to update your install.
Just do a repair permissions afterwards and you'll be good to go.

----------

applecare peep assures me that 14A388b & 14A389 are the same (which explains why when i go to DL yosemite, i'm told i already have it on my mac)... am assuming that's the truth...!

I some how can't believe this when "applecare peep" doesn't have anything to do with beta or developer builds.
Then there is the thing of 14A388b and 14A389 not being the same.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
Guys, the answer is simple...the build number is different because the public beta had feedback assistant, and the stable release doesn't. They had to advance the build number because if they released an OS with a build number ending in "a" (matching the GM3) there would usually be a "b" release too.

Twinkie

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Milford, MI
A few unusual things I've noticed over the past few hours:

1) On Beta 6 up to about 11:00 p.m. (Eastern), there were no OS updates in the App Store, and if I tried rating Yosemite, it said I couldn't.

2) Out of nowhere, I was presented with a Yosemite install screen. This was shortly after updating iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand. Going through the installer bumped me to 14A389.

3) Post-install, there's no evidence of the Yosemite installer on my MBP, Feedback Assistant is still there and functional, and I was immediately greeted with a pre-release seed update for my two printers. Also, the App Store will now let me rate Yosemite.

4) My App Store history shows my last two purchases as Beta 4, and Yosemite. Yosemite has today's date (10/17), but the installation started before midnight (so: 10/16).

For reference, this is all on a late 2013 MBP Retina (BTO).

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
My experience seems a little different than some. I have PB6 on one drive, and Yosemite release on another (upgraded from Mavericks). The release version runs better for me than the last PB.

jasmine84

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
Toronto ON

A few unusual things I've noticed over the past few hours:

1) On Beta 6 up to about 11:00 p.m. (Eastern), there were no OS updates in the App Store, and if I tried rating Yosemite, it said I couldn't.

2) Out of nowhere, I was presented with a Yosemite install screen. This was shortly after updating iPhoto, iMovie, and GarageBand. Going through the installer bumped me to 14A389.

3) Post-install, there's no evidence of the Yosemite installer on my MBP, Feedback Assistant is still there and functional, and I was immediately greeted with a pre-release seed update for my two printers. Also, the App Store will now let me rate Yosemite.

4) My App Store history shows my last two purchases as Beta 4, and Yosemite. Yosemite has today's date (10/17), but the installation started before midnight (so: 10/16).

For reference, this is all on a late 2013 MBP Retina (BTO).

This just happened to me! Last night when I clicked download 10.10 it said I already had it, so I cancelled, did not hit continue. Went to bed. This morning I got up, 10.10 is downloading. By itself. I went to my purchases page, and for OSX in my purchase history I see Mavericks, 10.10 PB 4, and now Yosemite downloading. It appears it pushed it to my computer and is downloading all by itself. Would love to know if more than just 2 of this had this happen. :)

coracle

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Apple's earlier advice to Beta users

How do I get a shipping version of OS X back on my Mac?

Always back up your computer before installing pre-release software. To get a shipping release of OS X on your Mac, you can simply install the final version of the software you are testing when it appears in Software Update. If you would like to go back to a previously released version, you must first erase the beta software, then re-install the latest shipping version of OS X, and finally restore from your Time Machine backup.

That's from: https://appleseed.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/faq

Zmanbaseball2

macrumors 68040
Aug 24, 2012
New York, USA
For the people on the GM or beta 6 and want to be on the public version, just re-download it from the App Store. It will not show up under software update. I did it yesterday and got 4 MBPS download and it installed fine on my MacBook Pro 15" Mid 2014.

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
Guys, there is a new update i believe for Yosemite along with iOS 8.1.1. Are you guys able to update from Developer preview, or public beta?

I was on developer preview of yosemite, and still have GM 3 (my current version is 10.90), but can't install the new version on Mac app store. It's really frustrating. I can't even update to the latest update Apple released. I am able to download, but when I open the installation app, it says, "This copy of the "install OS X application is too old to be opened on this version of OS X."

Do I really need to do a clean install? I don't have a hard drive, so I don't have any backups...Any help on installing the latest update would be appreciated it.

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
Guys, there is a new update i believe for Yosemite along with iOS 8.1.1. Are you guys able to update from Developer preview, or public beta?

I was on developer preview of yosemite, and still have GM 3 (my current version is 10.90), but can't install the new version on Mac app store. It's really frustrating. I can't even update to the latest update Apple released. I am able to download, but when I open the installation app, it says, "This copy of the "install OS X application is too old to be opened on this version of OS X."

Do I really need to do a clean install? I don't have a hard drive, so I don't have any backups...Any help on installing the latest update would be appreciated it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.