Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dealmaker

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2010
Yeah worked all morning (in the UK) and then the one time I wanted to use it (in the car) it didn't bloody work!!!

gmoore3

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
down here as well

Started having trouble around 11:30 (verizon) in Charlottesville, VA....I have done the network reset thing a few times..worked once briefly.

lawdog516

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Down in Chicago

Down in Chicago, after spending 55 minutes on hold with Apple support, they don't have a clue why Siri is not working, I think she quit and they are looking for a temp. to fill her position... lol :)

----------

As I just finished typing my above comment it started working, my fingers are crossed

xantari

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Do you realize the ramifications of this? I was in my car, expecting to use the "Call person name, mobile" command and I could no longer do handsfree dialing.

Siri now apparently requires network connectivity to do basic voice commands.

This is going to cause atleast a few car crashes due to this loss of capability. Apple really messed up here. It should revert back to the old voice control engine in the event that SIRI is down.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Do you realize the ramifications of this? I was in my car, expecting to use the "Call person name, mobile" command and I could no longer do handsfree dialing.

This is going to cause atleast a few car crashes due to this loss of capability. Apple really messed up here. It should revert back to the old voice control engine in the event that SIRI is down.

Oh that is BS. If there is a car wreck as a result of someone NOT being able to voice dial then I question that driver's ability to handle the vehicle and life in general.

If you pick up your phone to voice dial and can't, put the freaking thing down or pull over if the call is THAT important (or against the law in your state to be without hands free).

The only thing I can agree with is reverting back to the old voice dialing when Siri is unavailable. That sounds like a half decent idea.

xantari

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
Oh that is BS. If there is a car wreck as a result of someone NOT being able to voice dial then I question that driver's ability to handle the vehicle and life in general.

If you pick up your phone to voice dial and can't, put the freaking thing down or pull over if the call is THAT important (or against the law in your state to be without hands free).

The only thing I can agree with is reverting back to the old voice dialing when Siri is unavailable. That sounds like a half decent idea.

The possibility is there as you now have to look at your phone, unlock it, navigate to the phone menu, find your contact by navigating through hundreds of contacts, and dial. That is more then a few seconds of not looking at the road. Those few seconds are precious in rush hour traffic where NOBODY maintains proper vehicle distances. In the past, you can call people without even taking your eyes of the road, just hold down the button on the phone and give it a voice command.

Nevertheless, we now have reduced functionlity with this update and it is a major oversight in my opinion.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
Back up and working fine in Ohio. Apparently, Howard Stern did a bit today where he showed a lot of the Siri easter eggs...just about the time Siri went down. My guess is that 300,000 simultaneous Siri requests killed the server farm.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Up again in Dallas. I concur with the other guesses that the immediate traffic spike probably overwhelmed either the servers or the pipe (even if the servers are capable of handling the load, Apple's upstream ISP could have experienced a sudden bottleneck, causing denial of service for a large number of, but not necessarily all, users).

Zews

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
Down all morning in San Francisco also.

I wonder if the message "Sorry, I Can’t Connect to the Network" is because of an overload on the Apple servers, or because of an overload on the (in my case) AT&T servers. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Either way, the issue is quite serious and needs to be fixed soon, otherwise Siri can be considered quite a debacle. I haven't been able to connect over 3G and WiFi all morning.

If the AT&T network servers are to blame, I do not think it is going to be fixed any time soon, because my experience with AT&T is, that they really do not care what their customers think or compalin about. I have complained about the same dead zones in my home town for years, and AT&T has just plainly refused to fix this.

If the Apple network servers are to blame, well brace yourselves when the 4S is released to 22 other countries around the world on October 28. Right now only about a million or so users are having serious issues with using Siri. When the service goes worldwide there will be many millions of users more, and the problem will only get worse.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Down all morning in San Francisco also.

I wonder if the message "Sorry, I Can’t Connect to the Network" is because of an overload on the Apple servers, or because of an overload on the (in my case) AT&T servers. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Either way, the issue is quite serious and needs to be fixed soon, otherwise Siri can be considered quite a debacle. I haven't been able to connect over 3G and WiFi all morning.

If the AT&T network servers are to blame, I do not think it is going to be fixed any time soon, because my experience with AT&T is, that they really do not care what their customers think or compalin about. I have complained about the same dead zones in my home town for years, and AT&T has just plainly refused to fix this.

If the Apple network servers are to blame, well brace yourselves when the 4S is released to 22 other countries around the world on October 28. Right now only about a million or so users are having serious issues with using Siri. When the service goes worldwide there will be many millions of users more, and the problem will only get worse.

It definitely isn't the carrier's servers, as you can't get it on wifi either. It's Apple's side. I'd probably say they were expecting a huge initial load but possibly not the four million in one weekend that they did sell.

In any case, I think this is a situation where Steve would assemble the Siri team and furiously demand twice the server capacity by midnight.
...hopefully we'll see reliability increase.

Zews

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2008
I tried to connect to the Apple servers to post in the Apple Discussion Forum, and those servers seem to be down also, because I cannot connect via my home computer.

Seems Apple is having some serious issues around right now.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows

Turn off siri and old voice control all return. But you're right, that should happen automatically.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
Unable to use Siri in SW Ohio. I love Siri and have used her quite a bit more than I thought I would... but I seem to come across a spurt or two every day where she can't connect to the network.

Domino8282

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2010
Southeast USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Down in East TN

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.