Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
With all of the scalable computing models out there today, it's a head-shaker as to why Apple can't figure out out to scale up for events such as product releases and now a service that will have an initial onslaught of traffic. Amazing...

Shermanus

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2007
Sirigate California

Mostly not working here in California on Sprint. The fix (Siri off – Network Reset – Siri on) worked only sometimes. Since last night (Monday) no Siri at all. As far as I am concerned, having a 4 as well, this is one of the highlights that made me buy the 4S. Sri is impressive when it works, and the way of the future. I could understand that with 4 Mio 4S out there and everyone going on Siri at once, the servers could have a problem similar to a DOS attack. Apple needs to at least acknowledge the problem. That would put me at ease.

DrFillster

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2008
Agreed. Not a thing about this from Apple or the press (or MacRumors for that matter).

Try resetting all your settings. Worked for me when Network Reset didnt

Mostly not working here in California on Sprint. The fix (Siri off – Network Reset – Siri on) worked only sometimes. Since last night (Monday) no Siri at all. As far as I am concerned, having a 4 as well, this is one of the highlights that made me buy the 4S. Sri is impressive when it works, and the way of the future. I could understand that with 4 Mio 4S out there and everyone going on Siri at once, the servers could have a problem similar to a DOS attack. Apple needs to at least acknowledge the problem. That would put me at ease.

Smug Boy

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2011
This just happened to me in the Northeast, couldn't connect for 2 hours. An on and off fixed it. I have had numerous cannot connect to the network responses but they typically clear up on their own.

Remember the whole thing is still Beta so this type of behavior should be expected.

livspop

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2011
I had connection problems today for the first time. On Verizon with 3G full bars. I just wanted to use voice to text and it wasn't working. Once I reset network settings it was fine. Much quicker than usual, in fact.

But it was funny, after several times of telling me it was having problems when I asked it to send a text message, Siri said:

"I'm losing my mind, Josh. I can feel it going. I can feel it."

Holy crap!

BGTHEMOGUL

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2010
Must be down because I'm not able to use Siri either here in Florida. It was working this morning but the past several hours has been down.

Karg1

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I had the same problem. Pre-ordered two 16gb 4s' one Siri worked fine, other didn't. Decided the same day (14th) that I wanted two 32gb's instead so luckily there was still stock at AT&T so I swapped 16's for 32's. Wife's Siri worked perfect mine didn't. It didn't matter where we were, mine would not work but hers would no problem. I was also having a hard time just connecting to 3G as well when hers, again, would be fine. Called AppleCare, they swapped it out for another 32gb at the apple store. First swap didn't turn on right out of the box (like wouldn't power on at all), so they had to get yet another from the back. Second swap worked perfectly with no issues with Siri or 3G. All they could tell me was that there was some sort of receiver issue with the phone. My 4s has worked perfectly ever since.

My first 32gb was sluggish all around. With the swap, I can definitely tell the difference with speed everywhere, opening apps, the camera, Siri pops right to life now, etc. my wife also had to swap her 32gb out as well due to voice call connectivity issues (heavy echoing, terrible static, and cutting out). My call quality would be crystal clear, and hers, right next to me would be horrible. We tried everything to solve the Siri problems, as well as the connectivity problems before calling apple (soft reset, hard reset, wipe, restore, etc.), calling apple was the last option. After our swap everything seems to be fine with both 32gb'ers now...but!!! My wife's phone has gone back to the horrible call quality, while mine is still fine.

It seems that the Siri issue is not only one of bogged down servers, but also a hardware problem as well. So far I've had 3 brand new 4s' and my wife will be going on her third this week. I'm not telling everyone to rush to their apple stores to get their phones swapped, but if you notice an overall connectivity problem, or generally overall slower processing speeds I'd give apple a call.

GiantSteve

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2011
Is Apple's Cloud Consumer Scaled?

We all have seen pictures of the massive Apple Data Center in North Carolina, but if this is the only location for Siri and/or iCloud it's bound to be a problem. Look at organizations like Amazon, Google and Microsoft (ok, go ahead and make jokes about how lame they are) that have robust cloud infrastructure (and they are not immune to occasional failures) and you will see that they have dozens of massive data centers as well as many smaller edge centers. This is the only way to achieve reliable operations with minimal latency.

I don't know what Apple has driving their cloud, but it seems like they need to provision more resources ASAP. They certainly have the deep pockets and technological expertise, but I think they may have miscalculated what they needed in place to meet what they should have known was going to be huge demand.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Down in NY as well. Been down all day as far as I can tell. Figures; I wanted to show her off to some non-techy family and get an idea of how they appreciate (or not) the functionality.

jlyanks85

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2008
It was down all day for me, then started working again without a problem. Now having problems again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.