Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pmmare1972

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
I guess...? I mean when I think of status I think of an expensive car or big home. Not really a Mac. Everyone has a Mac...just go to any university library or coffee shop

I know people who take their macs, iPads, iPhones and go to Starbucks specifically to buy a frap costing close to six bucks, and a pastry for another four, and use the free internet for hours, and I mean until their frap looks like a melted liquid cup of puke. I observed them, I watched them looking around themselves trying to see if anyone is noticing them while trying not to get noticed while doing so, that crap is funny to me (sorry). I also see some of the things they are using their computers for. Most times its for messaging, sometimes its for youtube and Facebook or iTunes music, a lot of times its for school studies and the once and a while business meeting. Aside from the school work and business work, it is all for show. people go there who wouldn't even know what a hot cup of pikes would taste like with out cool whip and caramel drizzled onto of it.

I am an equal opportunist who has dell, toshiba, systems with windows (unfortunately) and linux installed on them and I also have Apple products such as macbook pro, mac mini and iPad, Aside from my cell, which (yea, you guessed it) is an iPhone, I can not bring myself to go to Starbucks to piss away hours at a time on my laptop with my wife sitting across from me or waiting for me at home. I can not even find a reason to want to bring my laptop to the COFFEE STORE, i mean, come on, its COFFEE! if I was in college with a huge break in-between classes, or, I worked from home and was just too lazy to make my own coffee (but had enough energy to not only drag ass but also my laptop to Starbucks and stand on their outrageous lines), then yea, I would.

Starbucks and Apple computers are a status symbol because of the cost of their coffee and the cost of the equipment people bring while drinking their coffee. It seems to be the poor bastards way to display superiority and or popularity over those who can't.

I just won't.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Also in movies, NBC, and colleges...

J. Co will be the NEW Starbucks someday.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Interesting perspective. I don't live in the city, so I don't ever really bring a laptop to a coffee shop for hours and work.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, I don't drink the coffee in Starbuck's - for the coffee, to my mind, is over-priced, stale, and incinerated, thin and bitter - but I do like the ambience of what they are trying to do, and enjoy the atmosphere of their coffee shops.

In my last posting abroad, I spent hours each day in our coffee shop with my own computer (yes, it happens to be a MBA); the office was a horrid open-plan place, with a lot of noise, and little privacy, and too many ears.

For quick chats - and more importantly, for quick chats that were actually professionally important and yet could take place in private,- the coffee shop was the best place to meet.

All of my colleagues, local staff and internationals knew where to find me, and I must say that I grew to value being able to work in a coffee shop environment.

Reactions: Melrose
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.