Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
That's fine but you can't cherry pick features for the argument. The iPhone 'Pro' would have a unique feature, same as the S7 edge having unique elements not available on the S7 (and Samsung charging more for it) or the Note having unique features not available on Samsung's other phones.

This is what I wrote:

PPS. Also...! Every rumor about the new and improved dual camera setup is for the larger iPhone. And even then, rumors have said of the larger iPhone, there'd be a "Pro" version of the Plus. So not only would the normal sized iPhone get shafted out of the dual camera, but possibly the standard Plus version, too? Or is "Pro" the new Plus? Who knows. But yet another unfortunate thing if true. Again, other OEMs, like Samsung, Sony, even Google (5X has the same camera as 6P, right?) have given consumers no-compromise cameras in the smaller/cheaper variant of their flagships. But not Apple, if these rumors are true.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed that the dual camera might only be in the larger iPhone (and possibly in the "Pro" version of the larger iPhone only?), especially given the bolded part.

The examples you used (the Note's stylus, the Edge screen...) those are unique features to those devices. The Note is a "Note" because of the stylus. It's a shame Apple wants to make the dual camera a unique feature. You can make the argument that the dual camera setup is meant more for "professionals," I suppose. I always saw camera advancements in smartphones as something that should be across all your flagship lines (isn't that how it always is with iPhones?). Especially when the iPhone 7 is rumored to not have much else new to bring to the table other than this dual camera setup, so to have it potentially be missing in the standard model and possibly even in the "low" end of the Plus model would be a disappointment.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
This is what I wrote:

PPS. Also...! Every rumor about the new and improved dual camera setup is for the larger iPhone. And even then, rumors have said of the larger iPhone, there'd be a "Pro" version of the Plus. So not only would the normal sized iPhone get shafted out of the dual camera, but possibly the standard Plus version, too? Or is "Pro" the new Plus? Who knows. But yet another unfortunate thing if true. Again, other OEMs, like Samsung, Sony, even Google (5X has the same camera as 6P, right?) have given consumers no-compromise cameras in the smaller/cheaper variant of their flagships. But not Apple, if these rumors are true.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be disappointed that the dual camera might only be in the larger iPhone (and possibly in the "Pro" version of the larger iPhone only?), especially given the bolded part.

The examples you used (the Note's stylus, the Edge screen...) those are unique features to those devices. The Note is a "Note" because of the stylus. It's a shame Apple wants to make the dual camera a unique feature. You can make the argument that the dual camera setup is meant more for "professionals," I suppose. I always saw camera advancements in smartphones as something that should be across all your flagship lines (isn't that how it always is with iPhones?). Especially when the iPhone 7 is rumored to not have much else new to bring to the table other than this dual camera setup, so to have it potentially be missing in the standard model and possibly even in the "low" end of the Plus model would be a disappointment.

First---Samsung doesn't use the same camera sensor in their cheaper/smaller variants of their smartphones--nobody with more than a product line of a couple phones does. Sony's new XA phone has a different sensor from the X line. Moto uses different sensors across their phone lines. The Nexus phones have the same rear sensor but different front facing cameras. You wish Apple followed Samsung's lead for the Galaxy/Notes--that's perfectly fine but Samsung's practice in doing this I'd argue is the exception, not the norm for the industry.

Of course there's nothing wrong with being disappointed that the dual camera may be a unique feature of the 'Pro' line but again, it's one element of the phone. And limiting something to a particular device is not an uncommon practice--it's in fact very common. All tech behaves like this--every TV Samsung, LG, or Vizio sell aren't equally equipped, nor are kitchen appliances, cameras, vehicles, computers, etc, etc--I could go on and on. Why are smartphones, and specifically in this case, iPhones, held to a different standard? I want a dSLR camera with a bigger/better sensor, I pay more for it. I want a more capable smart phone, I pay more for it. Why are you expecting all iPhones to be created equal? :confused:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
First---Samsung doesn't use the same camera sensor in their cheaper/smaller variants of their smartphones--nobody with more than a product line of a couple phones does. Sony's new XA phone has a different sensor from the X line. Moto uses different sensors across their phone lines. The Nexus phones have the same rear sensor but different front facing cameras. You wish Apple followed Samsung's lead for the Galaxy/Notes--that's perfectly fine but Samsung's practice in doing this I'd argue is the exception, not the norm for the industry.

Of course there's nothing wrong with being disappointed that the dual camera may be a unique feature of the 'Pro' line but again, it's one element of the phone. And limiting something to a particular device is not an uncommon practice--it's in fact very common. All tech behaves like this--every TV Samsung, LG, or Vizio sell aren't equally equipped, nor are kitchen appliances, cameras, vehicles, computers, etc, etc--I could go on and on. Why are smartphones, and specifically in this case, iPhones, held to a different standard? I want a dSLR camera with a bigger/better sensor, I pay more for it. I want a more capable smart phone, I pay more for it. Why are you expecting all iPhones to be created equal? :confused:

I guess I should have been more specific. I thought the S7 and S7 Edge had the same exact cameras? I thought the Sony Xperia Z lines had the same cameras, too? Between the Compact, and the standard and the Premium versions. Isn't a big part of that makes the Z-Compact line so well regarded is that there is no compromise in the camera from their higher models? As for the Google Nexus devices, I was speaking about the rear camera. I could be wrong on any of this, of course.

I'm aware different tiers offer different features in technology. I'm not holding the iPhone to a different standard; I'm holding it to the above standard. And only the camera. If I'm wrong about the above, then never mind. I'm not expecting all iPhones to be created equal and exactly the same; that'd be ludacris. Please drop this strawman.

As far as we know, the iPhone flagships include the standard model and the Plus model, and they're both likely releasing on the same date.

I think I've outlined pretty clearly why I think it'll be disappointing if the dual camera is only for the Plus model (and possibly just the "Pro" version of the Plus model, if that specific rumor is true). And at a time when Apple has shown their first crack? At a time when all signs are pointing to modest updates and not many new features other than the dual camera?

I'm honestly not sure how you're not disappointed by this specific rumor, too.

Last edited:

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
well I for one dont like the idea of having to live with a phablet if I want the best camera

I spoke with my wallet and let them hose me with a lesser camera though

'pro' is fine with me, tying it to the phablet model is lame though

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
That's fine but you can't cherry pick features for the argument. The iPhone 'Pro' would have a unique feature, same as the S7 edge having unique elements not available on the S7 (and Samsung charging more for it) or the Note having unique features not available on Samsung's other phones.
I think the issue is, not everyone wants a edge screen, not everyone wants a stylus.

However everyone wants the best camera on their phone. So consumers who want the smaller size phone (se/7) feels cheated.

Think of it like this, if Samsung had two different cameras on the galaxy s7 and s7 edge (the edge being the better one), consumers / members here would be dissatisfied.

For me, if a dual camera is imminent, I think they should have it in the 7 and 7 plus as well as the pro. If it doesn't, what will the camera be in the iPhone 7 and 7 plus? A carry over from the 6s?

Thinking about it, you spend 850 on a 7 plus and you still can't have the best camera from Apple on your phone?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think the issue is, not everyone wants a edge screen, not everyone wants a stylus.

However everyone wants the best camera on their phone. So consumers who want the smaller size phone (se/7) feels cheated.

Think of it like this, if Samsung had two different cameras on the galaxy s7 and s7 edge (the edge being the better one), consumers / members here would be dissatisfied.

Technically they do have two different cameras (well sensors; Sony and Samsung with one reportedly better than the other) on the S7/S7e but unlike Apple's sku division you don't get to choose - it's merely potluck which sensor you get.

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

For me, if a dual camera is imminent, I think they should have it in the 7 and 7 plus as well as the pro. If it doesn't, what will the camera be in the iPhone 7 and 7 plus? A carry over from the 6s?

Thinking about it, you spend 850 on a 7 plus and you still can't have the best camera from Apple on your phone?

Yes.

The best scenario will be that these rumors are false and the dual camera makes it to all the flagship models. Standard. Plus. And Pro, if that even is a thing.

It would be supremely disappointing if this "Pro" thing really is the high end of the iPhone 7 Plus, and only that gets the dual camera setup. In a year when Apple is predicted to see little in the way of innovation, change, or new features? In a year when one of the more exciting new features is the dual camera? For it to be missing and/or only available in the highest end model (which means the highest price, too) would simply suck.

Again, we're going off rumors cause that's all we have to work with right now, but I'm really hoping Apple has better plans.

[doublepost=1461869239][/doublepost]
Technically they do have two different cameras (well sensors; Sony and Samsung with one reportedly better than the other) on the S7/S7e but unlike Apple's sku division you don't get to choose - it's merely potluck which sensor you get.

True that.

Little specifics like that are inevitable though and have more to do with availability of supplies, no? That happens currently with Apple products, too. Different screen tech from different makers, for example.

To omit the dual camera in the standard model could have very much to do with availability too, of course. Maybe Apple can't afford to mass produce dual camera technology for their entire flagship lineup. Either way, that's a specific and key new feature that would be missing versus a difference of the sensor maker.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
well I for one dont like the idea of having to live with a phablet if I want the best camera

I spoke with my wallet and let them hose me with a lesser camera though

'pro' is fine with me, tying it to the phablet model is lame though

I can agree with this--have a 'pro' option at both sizes. Of course who wouldn't want the best possible but charging more for higher quality hardware is pretty common. And in most cases, new tech gets introduced that the high end, not the low end.

And lets remember, this is all conjecture at this point. We have no idea how expensive this sensor it, whether there is enough supply, or even how good it is.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yes.

The best scenario will be that these rumors are false and the dual camera makes it to all the flagship models. Standard. Plus. And Pro, if that even is a thing.

I think this is likely what will happen and I don't see a pro model happening. We will see, but if saturation point has been reached in the smartphone market (LG & Sony also seeing struggles in its smartphone market) its going to take a decent hardware push this year to even maintain the already reduced momentum.

LG look set to struggle particularly this year now with the G5's lacklustre reception.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I can't believe that the idea of an iPhone Pro is being discussed (name-wise). Here's my Pro iPhone! It does Pro things like taking really good selfies and Live Photos Pro and... um... professional work for working professionals who use their phones for professional work! Please Apple. Don't go that way.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
The bottom line is: we're mostly all agreed that Apple should bring their A game this Fall.

I'm happy about that at least.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Never would have guess a year or two ago that Apple would be down and Facebook would smash earnings. Really interesting. Here's to hoping Apple bleeds a bit more. Little too comfortable on top I think. They need a fire under their ass from the top down.
I think Apple will continue doing what they are doing just as they never cared about market share for it's Macs.

It's too late for them to change the iPhone 7 and all the leaks I've seen show it looks identical to the 6. It will be more of the same for the coming year.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015
oh, thanks! I didn't know that. Do consumers see a difference between the two?
[doublepost=1461872783][/doublepost]
I can agree with this--have a 'pro' option at both sizes. Of course who wouldn't want the best possible but charging more for higher quality hardware is pretty common. And in most cases, new tech gets introduced that the high end, not the low end.

And lets remember, this is all conjecture at this point. We have no idea how expensive this sensor it, whether there is enough supply, or even how good it is.
I agree with this too. If the PRO model came in both sizes then that would be fine with me. However forcing users who wants the best camera to get a Phablet is a bit upsetting imo. As Epicbryan said though, this is all rumors so we will see.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think Apple will continue doing what they are doing just as they never cared about market share for it's Macs.

It's too late for them to change the iPhone 7 and all the leaks I've seen show it looks identical to the 6. It will be more of the same for the coming year.

You're probably right. These plans were probably decided on at least a year (if not, years?) in advance.

So, if Apple is moving forward with the iPhone 7 per these rumors because it's always been part of the plan, then aren't they picking the worse time to do this? In a year where they've announced their first ever crack in their all important, widely-heralded, critique-shielding finances?

I still wouldn't bet against Apple, but it is a bit worrisome, these rumors so far. And if not worrisome, disappointing.

Apple isn't disappearing, so I guess there's always 2017 and the 10 year anniversary iPhone 8.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
oh, thanks! I didn't know that. Do consumers see a difference between the two?

Nah general consumer doesn't but those enthusiasts buying a device specifically for one hardware feature (in this case camera) are the ones who get really irked when they inevitably find out about the sensor differences. XDA, Samungs fora and Pro Camera forum were going mad over the Sony vs Isocell differences. (There was even a discussion here at the time).

I do think majority of iPhone 6S users are unaware of missing OIS or at least differences between hardware OIS & software stabilisation.

Those that were buying for improved camera and wanted and knew what OIS is; at least have option to buy an OIS model guaranteed by purchasing the plus. Whereas if like I you wanted the reportedly superior isocell sensor in my S7/S7e there is no way you can do so guaranteed. I ended up with the Sony sensor .... :( its still good, but irks that others because have a better version.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Nah general consumer doesn't but those enthusiasts buying a device specifically for one hardware feature (in this case camera) are the ones who get really irked when they inevitably find out about the sensor differences. XDA, Samungs fora and Pro Camera forum were going mad over the Sony vs Isocell differences. (There was even a discussion here at the time).

I do think majority of iPhone 6S users are unaware of missing OIS or at least differences between hardware OIS & software stabilisation.

Those that were buying for improved camera and wanted and knew what OIS is; at least have option to buy an OIS model guaranteed by purchasing the plus. Whereas if like I you wanted the reportedly superior isocell sensor in my S7/S7e there is no way you can do so guaranteed. I ended up with the Sony sensor .... :( its still good, but irks that others because have a better version.

I forget the current standard iPhone 6S doesn't have OIS while the Plus does. This lends credence to the rumor that the dual cameras will just be for the Plus and/or Pro line(s).

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I forget the current standard iPhone 6S doesn't have OIS while the Plus does. This lends credence to the rumor that the dual cameras will just be for the Plus and/or Pro line(s).
OIS differences arent visible just by looking at them externally to the lay person; but two different camera setups completly are. I do think consumers would be far more peeved if Apple splits them this year. I still think both will get dual lens if thats how they go. But hey, companies do crazy things.

Blaze4G

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2015

oh wow, I would definitely not be pleased either. Thanks for the info!

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

you should be a bit irked with the samsung vs tsmc a9 scenario too then? :p

in both cases, ignorance would probably be bliss :)

I agree about it being better to not have to play any kind of lottery

Reactions: epicrayban and MRU

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
You're probably right. These plans were probably decided on at least a year (if not, years?) in advance.

So, if Apple is moving forward with the iPhone 7 per these rumors because it's always been part of the plan, then aren't they picking the worse time to do this? In a year where they've announced their first ever crack in their all important, widely-heralded, critique-shielding finances?

I still wouldn't bet against Apple, but it is a bit worrisome, these rumors so far. And if not worrisome, disappointing.

Apple isn't disappearing, so I guess there's always 2017 and the 10 year anniversary iPhone 8.
This reminds me of when Apple introduced OS X Mavericks. Even though it started a new naming scheme for "the next ten years", it looked the same as Mountain Lion. Then Yosemite came the following year with a big redesign.

Same thing will probably happen with the 2016 iPhone: new naming scheme, looks practically identical to its predecessor with a few refinements, and its successor will get the makeover.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yep, I remember that too. I'm not smug enough to call them out though. ..

Yeah, all the posters here that only care about finances, they're all suddenly mum.

I told y'all it was a bad idea to just go by the numbers. How do y'all think Apple got to those numbers? By being innovative and besting the competition at their own game. They owned BlackBerry. They owned Nokia. They owned Palm. Will Apple go the same way because others are competing and beating them at their own game now? No, I don't think so. But it's as if these people forgot what got Apple into such a financially strong position in the first place.

I'm not sure if this is perfectly apt, but it's like you're putting the cart in front of the horse.

It's not difficult to see the competition today is advancing past Apple. And most of us here aren't even asking for anything extraordinary. We're mainly asking for Apple to keep up competitively with the technology. Again, wouldn't we rather Apple be the leader in the actual technology than in just profits? Why has no one answered this question? Is it because the answer should be a given? Because if so, I agree. So why is there so much contention when someone who has used the compettion says Apple should be competing harder? All it is is an informed observation. Versus an, often time, ignorant one.

Again, who are the real Apple fans here?

You don't always need to wait for sales to slow down or suffer to notice Apple is falling behind.

Tl;Dr: I told ya.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Yeah, all the posters here that only care about finances, they're all suddenly mum.

I told y'all it was a bad idea to just go by the numbers. How do y'all think Apple got to those numbers? By being innovative and besting the competition at their own game. They owned BlackBerry. They owned Nokia. They owned Palm. Will Apple go the same way because others are competing and beating them at their own game now? No, I don't think so. But it's as if these people forgot what got Apple into such a financially strong position in the first place.

I'm not sure if this is perfectly apt, but it's like you're putting the cart in front of the horse.

It's not difficult to see the competition today is advancing past Apple. And most of us here aren't even asking for anything extraordinary. We're mainly asking for Apple to keep up competitively with the technology. Again, wouldn't we rather Apple be the leader in the actual technology than in just profits? Why has no one answered this question? Is it because the answer should be a given? Because if so, I agree. So why is there so much contention when someone who has used the compettion says Apple should be competing harder? All it is is an informed observation. Versus an, often time, ignorant one.

Again, who are the real Apple fans here?

You don't always need to wait for sales to slow down or suffer to notice Apple is falling behind.

Tl;Dr: I told ya.
Maybe nobody is saying anything because there is a better thread (or more) for this type of stuff in the front page?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.