Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
It's pretty expensive case but it does fit really well. The case is pretty stiff at first but after some use and some leather conditioning it gets better.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I've tried around 10 different cases with one being quite a bit more expensive than the Apple Smart case. After all the different cases, I like the Smart case the best.

Pricey, yes but it hits most of my wants in a case:

- Covers all sides but no heavy bezel
- Lightweight
- Great workmanship - all cutouts spot on

I have no problem with stability. I fold with the leather side out when in typing mode and with leather side in for the stand up viewing mode.

For a cheaper case - I really like the Poetic Slimline.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Is the smartcase worth $80?

I ended up getting two mini smart cases. I searched for days and went through many 3rd party cases. I figured I'm wasting my money on junk when I can just buy a high quality case from Apple. So that's what I did. Is it worth it? I say yes if there isn't an alternative.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I think after spending over a grand for an iPad + celluar, $80 is well worth it. Specifically, it fits well, holds the tablet securely, and doesn't add bulk to the thinness of the device.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
do you have this? does it protect the spine edge, and does the case have a little lip over the edge of the ipad screen?

No, but there are several reviews on Amazon, including a video review. I am waiting for the rMini version.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Definitely not worth the price, but there is nothing in comparison that is available right now for the retina mini. That being said, I love mine.

I feel the same way about my Smart Case on the iPad Air. Love it, but ridiculously priced.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I feel the same way about my Smart Case on the iPad Air. Love it, but ridiculously priced.

This, I don't understand.

A silicon, rubber, plastic, PU leather (why bother with adding leather to something that is 90% not leather) case by a named manufacturer cost probably $35. A top of the line leather case made by Apple that fits perfectly at $80 is "ridiculously priced?"

Are you saying it should be $40?

How many companies out there that make an all leather case for $40?

I really don't get it when people say it's over priced. Expensive may be if it's above your budget, but over priced it is definitely not.

Last edited:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This, I don't understand.

A silicon, rubber, plastic, PU leather (why bother with adding leather to something that is 90% not leather) case by a named manufacturer cost probably $35. A top of the line leather case made by Apple that fits perfectly at $80 is "ridiculously priced?"

Are you saying it should be $40?

I really don't get it when people say it's over priced. Expensive may be if it's above your budget, but over priced it is definitely not.

No that's not what I'm saying. I don't think the case is perfect, even aside from the cost. The cover doesn't lie flat on the screen, it collapses too easily in bed etc.

It's a great case, though. Wife has the same one for her retina mini as well.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
Is the smartcase worth $80?

Here is the closest thing I've found for the iPad air: http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Apple-iP...&qid=1387257730&sr=8-6&keywords=MoKo+iPad+air. Unfortunately, it's not available for the mini yet.

That's what I wanted for my retina mini, but I can't wait and got the Apple case. Does the Moko have 100% microfiber interior? Most cases have microfiber but with exposed plastic clip-on edges. I had one like that and I swear it marred my rMini's chamfered edges. That's when I said screw the cost, I'm getting the real deal from Apple.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
That's what I wanted for my retina mini, but I can't wait and got the Apple case. Does the Moko have 100% microfiber interior? Most cases have microfiber but with exposed plastic clip-on edges. I had one like that and I swear it marred my rMini's chamfered edges. That's when I said screw the cost, I'm getting the real deal from Apple.

Yeah that shiny polished chamfer can get marked up very easily.

Kisey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010

I don't have the case (also waiting for the rMini version), but from the video review on Amazon, it looks like the microfiber does come all the way up, just like the Apple case.

WhatAmI

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2009
It's not so much the 80 bucks that made me return it and purchase an Apple Smart Cover instead. It was the major bulk it added to my slim Air the way the lid didn't align properly with the iPad and also that opening the lid took a couple of tries every time - it's like the lid slid down and hid itself

Nothing new but felt like hammering on the keys a bit

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I have the IPad Smart case in red and black and I do really like them pretty well. I swore that I was all done with my search. But then I saw so many that prefer the Smart Cover. Okay, so here I go again - maybe the iBlason back cover in yellow to go with the yellow Smart Cover.......

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
No

I bought Apple's Smart Case for my iPad Air and I am satisfied with it. But, for the $80 that I paid for it I could have bought another case for less and been as satisfied as I am with the smart case. Dollar wise, Apple's smart case is not a good buy. I bought it because it was immediately available and I wanted protection for my Air on day one.:)

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012

I have the black one. It does not look or feel like leather. For the money and looks one could have purchased a hard plastic or rubber case for less and ashetically, the affect would be the same.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA

Yoobao makes a nice all-leather case for $40.

http://www.amazon.com/YOOBAO-Execut...=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1388083185&sr=1-1

I had one like this for my iPad 2, so naturally I wanted something similar for my new Air. I just put it on the new Air yesterday and it fits perfectly. All the cutouts and ports line up, all corners are covered, and the cover works the on/off feature. Comes in a lot of colors, too. If you're interested in a full leather case, I would encourage folks to take a look at this one.

I think they make a line of similar cases for the Mini as well.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I think it's a terrible value to be honest. The sharp edges are annoying and the cover doesn't sit flat on the back when folded back. That may be the single most annoying aspect of it.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
I think it's a terrible value to be honest. The sharp edges are annoying and the cover doesn't sit flat on the back when folded back. That may be the single most annoying aspect of it.

Totally agree with that. I bought it tonight and will be returning it in the morning. It feels like a cheap ebay purchase. Doesn't sit against the back and the texture offers less grip than the smart cover. Back it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.